2010.12.02. - Lawyers appointed when murder charges were 'imminent' are removed

I think so as well, the head defender dude jumped the gun IMO. This case is still waiting on forensics and case building in terms of forensics, blood patterns etc. Pretty silly assigning DP lawyers to anyone until charges are brought and second, there is a hearing for the DA to present his claim on if he will even seek the DP. I believe in NC this is called a 524 Hearing, don't quote me on that, the cases I have followed in NC required this hearing after charges were actually filed.
Perhaps it was done to scare the patooties out of them and get someone to talk.

Lisa Dubbs was always a temporary lawyer for Elesa, early media reports mentioned that a court appointed lawyer would take the case in due time.

http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/legal-services-lawyers-public-defenders/15228248-1.html

Lisa Dubs confirmed Friday that she has been assigned to Baker's case as provisional counsel. According to court records, Dubs' role is to "Conduct a preliminary investigation, determine if the defendant is indigent and needs appointed counsel, and protect the defendant's rights pending appointment of trial counsel."

A change at this stage may mean she is about to be charged, and another lawyer appointed soon to take the case to trial. When is the next GJ? Monday?

Lisa Dubbs was always a temporary lawyer for Elesa, early media reports mentioned that a court appointed lawyer would take the case in due time.

http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/legal-services-lawyers-public-defenders/15228248-1.html

Lisa Dubs confirmed Friday that she has been assigned to Baker's case as provisional counsel. According to court records, Dubs' role is to "Conduct a preliminary investigation, determine if the defendant is indigent and needs appointed counsel, and protect the defendant's rights pending appointment of trial counsel."

A change at this stage may mean she is about to be charged, and another lawyer appointed soon to take the case to trial. When is the next GJ? Monday?

bbm

Yep. Monday :dance:

Yep. GJ convenes Monday :dance:

Perhaps it was done to scare the patooties out of them and get someone to talk.

I'm afraid if you can stand over a bathtub and chop up a child a little something like losing a lawyer is a walk in the park.

Thank you for that article.
Very interesting.

I don't think she will turn in a bill, she has been paid in media coverage.

I also maintain that it was appropriate for the state to provide qualified counsel to her while she was directing them to body parts and evidence that may later be used against her.

Letting her do that without a qualified attorney, not a bounced check attorney, would have left a huge opening for her real defense team to say that she had her rights violated and none of the evidence could be used against her.

Even if the state pays the $95 an hour it would be cheaper than the appeal or losing the evidence. Not to mention how much they saved not doing random searches while she was not speaking.

MOO - Dubbs overstepped her bounds and royally screwed LE as they were still attempting to build their case. Trying to force LE to deal with her client before LE had even charged her. That whole evidence "retreival" thing really PO'd the DA. I think this was a move to separate her from the situation. A sort of damage control if you will.

At least I hope thats what it was. I am holding out for GJ! I really really hope LE has a good case at this point to charge at least one if not more people.

Alright going out on a limb, expecting an indictment Monday.

Alright going out on a limb, expecting an indictment Monday.

I hope you're right and I hope there is more than one indictment Monday!!:furious:

I think the proof of the pudding might be in the remaining 2 sealed warrants. Both of these attorneys might be re-appointed on Monday.

I think the proof of the pudding might be in the remaining 2 sealed warrants. Both of these attorneys might be re-appointed on Monday.

I agree, the two remaining warrants currently sealed and to be further argued on 13 December are key. These released, not so much.

With that in mind, I doubt there will be any indictment of anyone on 6 December, at least an open indictment anyhow. In NC, an indictment can also be sealed for up to 6 months. This allows LE and the DA to continue building the case with no one the wiser. It also allows for immediate arrest if someone indicted decides to try and skip town. After 6 months, a new plea for an indictment must be made again if an arrest warrant has not been served.

JMO - LE is waiting on some very critical results from physical evidence and I do not believe there will be any indictment until those results are returned and reviewed against other evidence. As long as none of LE's perceived POIs or Suspects can go anywhere, there is no need to rush this issue until there is a fair degree of certainty. Right now, all we have is EB saying this and that, I doubt we, as in us, are close to the truth. Hopefully, evidence and results make it quite clear to LE and especially the DA - it is after all, his call. I would much rather time be taken to get it right than to just smooth feathers because AB is walking about when many think he should not be. Not a good enough reason to rush to judgement, Zahra deserves their best efforts.

UPDATED DECEMBER 3: A lawyer appointed by North Carolina to defend the stepmother of a 10-year-old girl believed killed and dismembered says she is sticking by her client.

The Hickory Daily Record reported Friday that attorney Lisa Dubs will continue to represent Elisa Baker even though the state will no longer pay the lawyers it appointed for the stepmother and father of Zahra Baker.

Neither Dubs nor Adam Baker's lawyer returned calls seeking comment Friday.

Zahra was reported missing in early October. Her remains have since been identified.

Police say the case is a homicide. Prosecutors opposed appointing the attorneys because no charges have been filed in the death.

Elisa Baker is in jail, accused of obstructing the investigation.

POSTED DECEMBER 1: In court documents that were unsealed Tuesday, it was revealed that Zahra Clare Baker was likely dismembered in the bathtub of the Baker house in Hickory.

Zahra’s stepmother, Elisa Baker, has been assigned prominent defense attorney Lisa Dubs. The Oct. 27 search warrant states Elisa gave information to police through Dubs relating to the investigation.

This includes that “the body of Zahra Baker was dismembered. That blood, body fluids and pieces of bone may be located in the drain trap of the bathtub.”

more
http://www2.wspa.com/news/2010/dec/...ker-gave-details-zahras-dismember-ar-1155785/

Seems LD is staying on this case and standing by EF!

Police have deemed this a homicide and that deal LD made on behalf of EF is unjust to Zahra...no DP, no LWOP...absurd!

Justice for Zahra

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back