2010.12.03 Agreement: No Death Penalty, Life In Prison For Elisa Baker

I really have nothing constructive to add to this thread but I've been thinking about this since I read it last week.

There is truly something wrong with our system of justice if anyone is allowed to make some kind of deal for their own benefit after committing a horrible crime. Especially a crime against a child. Zahra was in no way responsible for harming herself or anyone else. The person(s) responsible for her suffering & death should not only be held accountable, they should face severe punishment for their acts.

I'm just sickened at the thought EB or anyone else can play games with the info they have about what happened to Zahra. I realize the authorities have reasons for the decisions they make. I know there is no punishment which will bring Zahra back. I'm just so angry about all of it.

Just my 2 cents. I'll go back to lurking now.

I agree that it is sickening that people can make these kinds of deals with the information that they have but I try to look at the alternative. Without EB's assistance, LE could very well have been looking at a cold case here. No body, no crime right?

Now if the evidence seized from the home yields a lot of forensic evidence of her death and dismemberment in that home, then I have to admit that LE really jumped the gun on this one. For the life of me, I can't understand why a search warrant was not issued on the house long before any deal was made with EB. :waitasec:

MOO

But on which part of the leg is the transponder located? Is it in the gel liner, or is it in the leg casing?

I've looked and looked and can't find any info on the subject.

From the link I provided earlier:

Hickory Police Department said on Monday that medical records obtained from Australia, where the prosthetic leg was originally fitted, matched the serial number on the leg. A scanner was used to extract the serial number from a transponder placed inside the prosthesis, which was used as Zahra's left leg.

That almost sounds like the transponder could have been in the gel liner.

Since the gel liners are replaceable, and by reading Mountain_Kat's link it appears as though they should be replaced every 6-12 months, I would guess that a transponder placed in the prosthetic would be in the expensive titanium part of the prosthetic which can be altered and adjusted for growth spurts.

I'm sure AllissonZ can weigh in on this. I believe she has mentioned in other threads that her daughter has about 10 liners and that the titanium prosthetic is valued around 10K?

MOO

Since the gel liners are replaceable, and by reading Mountain_Kat's link it appears as though they should be replaced every 6-12 months, I would guess that a transponder placed in the prosthetic would be in the expensive titanium part of the prosthetic which can be altered and adjusted for growth spurts.

I'm sure AllissonZ can weigh in on this. I believe she has mentioned in other threads that her daughter has about 10 liners and that the titanium prosthetic is valued around 10K?

MOO

Not to much detail did I get here. Uncle in-law is elderly. I'm going to quote him here so I don't read more into it then is there. "The microchip is inside my leg. If I lose it or leave it somewhere they can scan it like they do on dogs. This way it can be returned to me. I guess they think I can go far with out it."

Not to much detail did I get here. Uncle in-law is elderly. I'm going to quote him here so I don't read more into it then is there. "The microchip is inside my leg. If I lose it or leave it somewhere they can scan it like they do on dogs. This way it can be returned to me. I guess they think I can go far with out it."

Sweet! Thank you for sharing - I like him already!

I would be prepared for a press release from the DA sometime today to clarify this matter, somewhat. JMO

Oh my, this made me smile, I was going to say right out of the mouth of babies but will defer to wisdom thus it will be out of the mouth of the wise :)

There are a few parts to the prosthetic:

The socket: These are changed often in children usually due to growth spurts but especially in children that have had a number of surgeries or other illness to account for weight loss/gain
Knee Joint: This is attached to the socket in my daughters case directly as her stump is the same length as her real leg thus they try to align the prosthetic knee joint to the real leg
Metal Rod: This is adjustable to some extent by being able to lengthen this portion but we are not talking feet usually it will be like an inch or so and is attached to the knee joint.
The foot: Attaches to the metal rod may or may not have a moveable ankle joint in it

Any part or all the parts could have the transponder but I do know my daughters is in the knee joint as it is a prototype. The liner would have a SN but for sure a batch number. The socket is casted from the stump itself, just as if they were going to put a cast on a broken limb. Depending on the type of prosthetic it was it would either be in the knee joint or titanium rod to my way of thinking as I again know that the foot is changed to keep up with the growing normal foot. The knee joint is the most expensive usually followed by the titanium rod

I know LE has the prosthetic not just the gel liner which was found on Christie Rd., and they have kept how/where it was located very much under the radar.

EF stated they tossed the prosthetic in the dumpster.

LE has said it was located in:

A previous residence of EF's
In the woods (this was actually the gel liner)

The reason that LD may not of realized how important the actual prosthetic would be in an investigation is that truly how many children that become the victim in a homicide wear one? As your uncle-in-law stated though and I quote "I guess they think I can go far without it"

No truer words could be spoken!!! That is why it is again MOO that LD retrieved the prosthetic. I would have a hard time believing that LD actually retrieved the murder weapon. I think she is far too smart for that and would want to keep her job.

I am still smiling to myself. Please sure you give him an extra hug from me lol

ALLUSONZ^^ Great post^^ I have a couple questions. How long is the titanium rod, Does it hook to the knee or just from the base of the leg to the ankle. What is involved in adjusting it?

Sorry for so many questions, Just trying to get a feel for how much adjusting in length you actually have. TIA

Oh my, this made me smile, I was going to say right out of the mouth of babies but will defer to wisdom thus it will be out of the mouth of the wise :)

There are a few parts to the prosthetic:

The socket: These are changed often in children usually due to growth spurts but especially in children that have had a number of surgeries or other illness to account for weight loss/gain
Knee Joint: This is attached to the socket in my daughters case directly as her stump is the same length as her real leg thus they try to align the prosthetic knee joint to the real leg
Metal Rod: This is adjustable to some extent by being able to lengthen this portion but we are not talking feet usually it will be like an inch or so and is attached to the knee joint.
The foot: Attaches to the metal rod may or may not have a moveable ankle joint in it

Any part or all the parts could have the transponder but I do know my daughters is in the knee joint as it is a prototype. The liner would have a SN but for sure a batch number. The socket is casted from the stump itself, just as if they were going to put a cast on a broken limb. Depending on the type of prosthetic it was it would either be in the knee joint or titanium rod to my way of thinking as I again know that the foot is changed to keep up with the growing normal foot. The knee joint is the most expensive usually followed by the titanium rod

I know LE has the prosthetic not just the gel liner which was found on Christie Rd., and they have kept how/where it was located very much under the radar.

EF stated they tossed the prosthetic in the dumpster.

LE has said it was located in:

A previous residence of EF's
In the woods (this was actually the gel liner)

The reason that LD may not of realized how important the actual prosthetic would be in an investigation is that truly how many children that become the victim in a homicide wear one? As your uncle-in-law stated though and I quote "I guess they think I can go far without it"

No truer words could be spoken!!! That is why it is again MOO that LD retrieved the prosthetic. I would have a hard time believing that LD actually retrieved the murder weapon. I think she is far too smart for that and would want to keep her job.

I am still smiling to myself. Please sure you give him an extra hug from me lol

Oh he is a hoot. He is an old biker. He is the kind of guy that can make you smile on your worst day. He says things like ol' home week, I'll call ya/ pay ya Tuesday, he gives everyone nick names and that's what he will call you from then on.

"Prosecutors said Monday they had not agreed to take the death penalty off the table in the Zahra Clare Baker case. According to court documents, the Australian-born girl was killed and her body was likely dismembered in the bathtub of her family's home in Hickory, N.C. The 10-year-old girl, who had lost a leg to bone cancer and was hearing-impaired, was reported missing Oct. 9. On Nov. 12, police confirmed they had found her remains."

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/articl...ot-off-the-table-in-zahra-baker-case/19748660

"Prosecutors said Monday they had not agreed to take the death penalty off the table in the Zahra Clare Baker case. According to court documents, the Australian-born girl was killed and her body was likely dismembered in the bathtub of her family's home in Hickory, N.C. The 10-year-old girl, who had lost a leg to bone cancer and was hearing-impaired, was reported missing Oct. 9. On Nov. 12, police confirmed they had found her remains."

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/articl...ot-off-the-table-in-zahra-baker-case/19748660

Hmmm, now see, this is why it's always good to have patience and remain calm. There is so much more to come, we must be patient and not panic!

Hmmm, now see, this is why it's always good to have patience and remain calm. There is so much more to come, we must be patient and not panic!

Your soothing words (and a glass of wine and a valium) help a lot! TY

They are only saying that they have not agreed to take the death penalty off the table period. Not specifically, we have not agreed to take the death penalty off the table for EB.

Exactly. They are not going to lay all their cards out on the table. Cases and trials are a wait and see game, this one is no exception. We really have no idea what's going on behind closed doors. Been around too long to get worked up 'til it actually unfolds in court. That's just me though.

ALLUSONZ^^ Great post^^ I have a couple questions. How long is the titanium rod, Does it hook to the knee or just from the base of the leg to the ankle. What is involved in adjusting it?

Sorry for so many questions, Just trying to get a feel for how much adjusting in length you actually have. TIA

That truly varies. My daughter is a knee disartic and usually the stump of a knee disartic does not grow as long as the regular leg. Hers did so trying to keep the artifical knee joint aligned with the real one has been a challenge.

In her case the challenge has been to find a knee joint that dould be fitted so that her prosthetic knee joint was not inches lower than her real one to start

For most in an above knee amputation there would be a rod from the socket to the knee joint. Then a rod from the knee joint to the foot. The length depends on how tall the individual is and the length of the stump

Very easy to adjust. You just grab an allen wrench. Usually though when i find i need to start adjusting that it is prob time for another fitting. The amount you can adjust again depends on the parts used there are so many out there now

“Elisa Baker maintains her innocence in connection with the death of Zahra Baker, and she has cooperated with law enforcement. If the investigation determines that Elisa Baker is not involved in the death of Zahra Baker, she will not be charged,” reads the statement. “If, on the other hand, there is sufficient and credible evidence to prove that Elisa Baker was involved in the death of Zahra Baker, the State is under no obligation to limit charges.”

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/dec/07/gaither-death-penalty-still-option-ar-598655/

ETA: I really don't like the wording of that statement. It is very ambiguous!

Is he saying if she wasn't involved with the death itself, she'll face no charges?? Surely not....I hope.

Elisa Baker maintains her innocence in connection with the death of Zahra Baker, and she has cooperated with law enforcement. If the investigation determines that Elisa Baker is not involved in the death of Zahra Baker, she will not be charged,” reads the statement. “If, on the other hand, there is sufficient and credible evidence to prove that Elisa Baker was involved in the death of Zahra Baker, the State is under no obligation to limit charges.”

B&UBM

what is it that concerns you about the wording FaerieB? the sufficient and credible evidence part? That is what is worrisome to me. Sufficient and credible to whom? Sufficient in what way? Sufficient to gain a conviction? Or sufficient to level charges?

plus IF the investigators determine she was not involved. That part concerns me. If they determine they are not able to PROVE she was involved in the death or if they actually BELIEVE she was not involved -no charges?

Those are the questions I still have about the agreement.

Well I think they are just making nice in the above statement, same as they wont call anyone a 'suspect' or 'person of interest' until an arrest is made....covering their legal *advertiser censored**es :) I am rather liking the B&UBY part, any deal EB has made looks like it's not going to help her if they find they have enough to charge her with Murder 1, as it should be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back