2011.01.25 Defense Requests More Time to Submit Expert Reports

45 days would be March 11th, 2011. Less than two months until jury selection is to start... and aren't the Frye Hearings supposed to be held in early March?

There is no way that Judge Perry is going to give Jose 45 more days... is there? :furious:

ETA: Early March is a hearing on the "Agents of the State", the canine searches, etc... I think? Not the Frye hearings.

BBM, yes that's right. The Frye hearings have not been scheduled to my knowledge.

Quote by psmith

Although he says the prior submissions were in made in "good faith" and "substantially complied in part," I just don't think Judge P is going to buy the excuses. What are the excuses this time? Much more thwartment. :wink:[/quote]

.................................................................................................

Hah....Good one, psmith. That sums him up in a nutshell. It's a great word depicting Jose's tactics, but I doubt he comprehends "thwartment". He's just not into comprehending, and he thinks his smirks are cute. :innocent:

ETA Sorry....don't usually post here & couldn't get quote to quote. Perhaps I should have included the entire post by psmith.

Mr. Baez is still very unethical...here comes the kicker...His Honor told Baez 30 days was much too long for him to get those reports in..so what does he do? He asks for 45 days...:crazy: Doesn't this man feel humiliation or feel embarrassed? Doesn't he see how far out of his league he is?

I still believe Baez, at the eleventh hour, will change this prisoners plea to guilty and try for a sentence where this prisoner can gain parole. The State has such a solid case they shouldn't accept anything less than LWOP...wishful thinking on my part...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

I was thinking that I can't really blame JB for what he is doing.

Look - it is obvious that none of the experts he had looking for evidence found anything that pointed to anything other then KC did it.

He has nothing at all - not even enough that he could ask for a plea deal - the prosecution has a slam dunk case - he hasn't found anything that would make them give any concessions.

So, what can he do other then what he has been doing - stall for time and hope against hope something will turn up.

I agree with you.

I don't think these experts HAVE reports because it would not be in the best interest of the defense to have WRITTEN reports that support the prosecution written reports......

So what's a smirking boy to do?

Give it one last effort....rush down to the convention where all his "boys and girl" will be present (since they won't answer their phone!) and beg them to take one more look...but in the meantime, must buy another 45 days in case he is forced to come up with a Plan B!

someone please tell me just how long they can continue with this joke of a defense? they obviously have NO idea what they're doing and NO way of getting it done. at what point, as the trial date looms larger and larger, can the state, the judge, anyone at all, be allowed to step up and boot baez to the curb? is there any way it can legally be done?

Does it really have to get to the point that the defense's opening statement consists of crickets chirping? I am not joking or being sarcastic in any way, I can easily picture it happening!

This all sounds like a laugh riot, it's so far from the way professionals work but this is taxpayer money, this is ICA's life on the line and this is justice for a beautiful little girl who is gone forever. this is NOT drama club, this is not a game!

I'm thoroughly disgusted that I find myself furious on even ICA's behalf, because I want her to have the best possible defense because I want all the i's dotted and t's crossed when the time comes for the penalty to be metered out.

Richard Hornsby says:
December 29, 2009 at 10:38 am

snippet

...the problem an expert witness list creates for Baez is two-fold.

1. It requires your experts to finally give their opinion – and an opinion is no good unless is supports your theory. If their opinion does not support your theory, you don’t list them.
2. It allows the State to inquire into how they are getting paid, by whom, and financial arrangements they have made, and media rights they have negotiated, etc. And if the experts are doing this “pro bono” the State can then go into ulterior reasons they agreed to work on the case – books that are coming out, etc.

3. Finally, when the State deposes an expert (or any attorney deposes the other sides’ expert) the opponent has to pay the expert what the expert charges the hiring attorney. So if these experts are not charging Baez, they are not allowed to charge the State.

Basically the witness list opens Pandora’s Financial Box for Mr. Baez."
The defense experts sure had time to go on the morning shows to sell their current books!!!
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4618629&postcount=1"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Legal Questions for Our VERIFIED Lawyers #1[/ame]
http://blog.richardhornsby.com/2009/...time/#comments

Mr. Baez is still very unethical...here comes the kicker...His Honor told Baez 30 days was much too long for him to get those reports in..so what does he do? He asks for 45 days...:crazy: Doesn't this man feel humiliation or feel embarrassed? Doesn't he see how far out of his league he is?

I still believe Baez, at the eleventh hour, will change this prisoners plea to guilty and try for a sentence where this prisoner can gain parole. The State has such a solid case they shouldn't accept anything less than LWOP...wishful thinking on my part...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

And isn't JB asking for a full 65 days since he has already been given 20 extra days by the judge?

How in the world do you need more time after how many years now :waitasec: Just unbelieveable........

So true..especially since Dr.'s Spitz and Reich's have both been part of the Team since 2008 and were present at the remains site while LE and CSI were investigating an active crime scene..
Dr Spitz did his examination in Dec. 2008...

But now over 2 years later Baez is asking for another 45 days on top of the 20 days given recently to comply with an Order that he should have originally complied with in Dec 2010.

This really is incredible. Baez wants an extension for material that compelled by Court Order on Jan. 6.

Although he says the prior submissions were in made in "good faith" and "substantially complied in part," I just don't think Judge P is going to buy the excuses. What are the excuses this time? Much more thwartment. :wink:

Turns out two experts, Logan and Reichs, must have been busy when Baez managed to call them. Another one, Rodriguez, just got the case info, so oh well. Ummm...and KC is indigent. Aside from which, Baez opines, Rodriquez and Reichs might have some new stuff to say, so what the heck if it's late. If it's late, then it will be even more complete. Okey-dokey?

Additionally, Baez hints, there will be a "unique opportunity in the very near future." So Defense needs 45 more days for two of the expert wits and some reasonable time for the other guy and Spitz. Alrighty?

Wow! WoW! WOW!

Baez is in for nuclear
eba9c755.gif
sanctions this time. jmo

bbm
I certainly hope Judge Perry calls him to his chambers and asks Baez to give specifics of this "unique opportunity in the very near future" mystery.

Justice for Caylee

IMO
NO.
Baez once said to Judge Perry that "my mother always said if you don't ask you don't get" ..so Baez keeps asking...

So true..especially since Dr.'s Spitz and Reich's have both been part of the Team since 2008 and were present at the remains site while LE and CSI were investigating an active crime scene..

But now over 2 years later Baez is asking for another 45 days on top of the 20 days given recently to comply with an Order that he should have originally complied with in Dec 2010.

If he can't produce a report at this time I would guess JB is buying time. Is it possible he is trying to work a deal with SA to spare KC's life? There is just no way the experts would not provide him with a report. It would undermine their credibility big time. Just like the TES volunteers who were deposed. They had nothing to report. KC, again, taking the taxpayers all the way to the end of the hall. Wasn't JB suppose to give SA a copy of his discovery within 15 days from the time he received it? It's been over 2 years since Caylee's remains were found and the second autopsy was completed. Talk abut imaginary. First the nanny, then KC's best friends, Juliet and Jeff, the nanny's family and now the imaginary reports. Someone give HHJP his gavel so he can bring his hammer down on this nonsense. jmo :maddening:

IMO
NO.
Baez once said to Judge Perry that "my mother always said if you don't ask you don't get" ..so Baez keeps asking...

And I believe HHJP replied: "You can ask all you want. Doesn't mean you're going to get it."

bbm
I certainly hope Judge Perry calls him to his chambers and asks Baez to give specifics of this "unique opportunity in the very near future" mystery.

I so have the feeling that HHJP snickered at that wording. I mean really, Baez? That Word of the Day calendar is working WONDERS for your motions, LOL (and I don't mean lots of luck, either)!

The only person being thwarted here is Baez, who is thwarting himself. Sheesh.

Although it would be funny if HHJP thwarted Baez by denying this latest motion. :floorlaugh:

And yes, thwarted is my new favorite word!

Justice for Caylee

No! More and more I am coming to the realization that no he does not. I recently described JB in another thread as a "legal sociopath". I still think that that is the most apt description for him. In many ways he and his client are exactly alike. The only differences are matters of degree. He has that rare extra special disconnect that allows and compels him to say anything with no remorse or regrets. he has no guilt, he has no empathy with those who are not fixed to his purpose. And even then what little empathy he has is limited to how can this benefit me or mine? he like his client is a creature that cannot recognize boundaries of behavior and chooses to simply stride right through them to his own purpose.

Now this sort of flawed behavior or personality trait is not always a bad thing. Some of our best presidents and Generals were known for suffering from it. But in JB's case it truly cripples him, his abilities and his clients defense. he is in that same self centered focus as his client. As a result he has repeatedly refused to back down on any thing when facing questions of actual law, questions of experience and qualifications, questions on whether he should be in the media, questions on money. It all comes down to a completely self centered "sociopathic" behavior. "he's still the lead attorney even though he is the most inexperienced and is not DP qualified under statute", "Things are unfair because the laws are not benefiting him", "The judge is being unfair to him specifically", "this belief that his personal opinions trump the judges orders", "His complete restriction of his client from any other input or influences".

Right now I think HHJP and HHJS before him are giving JB a longer than expected leash, simply because they have not yet come to the full realization of exactly what they are dealing with. Just looking at the shocked responses from our various legal professionals around here and you can see. JB is sofar outside the lines of ingrained, trained, almost worshipful legal behavior before the courts and the law as to be an almost completely alien creature to other legal professionals. They can't quite see him for what he is, because he is already inside the door. His name tag says "Lawyer" so he must be behaving in a certain expected way, right? This has to be some sort of act or trick, right? "I mean why would somebody lie about something like that?" See where I am going with this?

The even scarier thing is the Florida bar should be better at recognizing this sort of aberration than most other states. They have had recent experiences with a similar figure, who they finally did disbar. The lunatic anti video game crusader Jack Thompson.

BBM

So true...but wait. Isn't this around the time that Linda Baden was also brought onto the defense team in the role of presenting these expert opinions during trial?

I personally would assume that Linda Baden is an experienced enough attorney that after these examinations, she would be pushing for completed reports in order to continue her work in preparing for this case.....IF AND ONLY IF these experts had anything for her to work with!!

Seeing as how many speculated several months in advance to Linda Baden's eventual "official" withdrawing from this case, I would garner the opinion that the "dream team members of the defense team" (sans Baez) did NOT want written report!

BBM

So true...but wait. Isn't this around the time that Linda Baden was also brought onto the defense team in the role of presenting these expert opinions during trial?

I personally would assume that Linda Baden is an experienced enough attorney that after these examinations, she would be pushing for completed reports in order to continue her work in preparing for this case.....IF AND ONLY IF these experts had anything for her to work with!!

Seeing as how many speculated several months in advance to Linda Baden's eventual "official" withdrawing from this case, I would garner the opinion that the "dream team members of the defense team" (sans Baez) did NOT want written report!

bbm
December 12, 2008 Linda Kenney Baden made her appearance at a hearing.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76278"]Criminal Defense Attorney for Casey - Linda Kenney Baden - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]
Criminal Defense Attorney for Casey - Linda Kenney Baden DECEMBER 12 2008

UPDATE:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113034&highlight=linda+kenney+baden
ThinkTank

Clerk of Court's site:
12/12/2008 Appearance of Attorney Entered
Jose Baez & Linda Kenney Baden

New Criminal Defense Attorney for Casey - Linda Kenney Baden - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

12-12-2008
New Criminal Defense Attorney for Casey - Linda Kenney Baden

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500