2011.03.26 - More Searching off Skyline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with the generalization that this area is dangerous for kids. I've lived in several different areas of the country and I do not find Portland any more dangerous than other major cities. The high sex trafficking is also up for debate. :(

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/01/portland_child_sex_trafficking.html

The school also had safety policies but as we discussed at length in other threads, they were not followed that day. I can tell you that happens often in schools that size where everyone knows each other. Sadly, I'm speaking from experience again.

I totally agree with your post. I have lived in many areas of the country as well, and actually Portland is the most kid-friendly city in my opinion. Like any large city, Portland is going to attract the bad along with the good. I think that a lot of it depends on what kind of environmental home life we as parents create for our children.

I totally agree with your post. I have lived in many areas of the country as well, and actually Portland is the most kid-friendly city in my opinion. Like any large city, Portland is going to attract the bad along with the good. I think that a lot of it depends on what kind of environmental home life we as parents create for our children.

Maybe it's just because of the Kyron publicity, but it seems to me Portland, and the surrounding areas, appear to have quite a few crimes/murders, and/or dead bodies surfacing all of a sudden.

I can't imagine why any city would want to be "weird", let alone tout the fact - maybe someone can enlighten me? Seems to me a more conventional setting would be better for raising children?

My opinion only

I don't agree with the generalization that this area is dangerous for kids. I've lived in several different areas of the country and I do not find Portland any more dangerous than other major cities. The high sex trafficking is also up for debate. :(

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/01/portland_child_sex_trafficking.html

The school also had safety policies but as we discussed at length in other threads, they were not followed that day. I can tell you that happens often in schools that size where everyone knows each other. Sadly, I'm speaking from experience again.

Sorry i have to disagree!!!!!!!!!!!

this is kid-friendly?

Portland has become a center for human trafficking for several reasons, said Keith Bickford, a Multnomah County sheriff's detective who heads the Oregon Human Trafficking Task Force.

The city's proximity to Interstates 5 and 84 as well as two rivers is attractive to traffickers, as is lax sexual trafficking enforcement laws, a legal sex industry, a large population of street kids and Oregon's dependence on seasonal farmworkers, Bickford said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/01/human_trafficking_industry_thr.html

I realize that they searched the Horman area and surrounding property, but the question is have they searched with cadaver dogs? For example, it would be pretty easy to overlook a shallow grave or something else not so obvious. But, a cadaver dog can even detect human remains that are buried. Recall the Ward Weaver case--LE failed to find Miranda and Ashley, but Harry Oakes' cadaver dog alerted to both girls being on his property.

Thats the exact reason they dont want Harry to be involved. Egg on the face!

when it comes to a missing child you just do everthing you can, dont shun someone that can help.

I read the school policy book and they DID NOT have good procedures.

Its a DIFF STORY NOW!

My kids schools well you had to sign in and out get a visitors bADGE
AND HAD TO HAVE A DRIVERS LIC WITH YOU TO TAKE A CHILD HOME...
nO PPL WERE ALLOWED TO WALK FREELY THRU A SCHOOL AT ANY TIME...

This school is lucky it does not have a law suit.

Yes its discussed for hours because if they knew who was with Kyron they might know where he is and who he left with. He would have not gone missing from that school.

They have no idea who was in that school that day.
No one there remembers seeing anyone or anything how observant when our children are in their care!!!!!

JMO

I realize that they searched the Horman area and surrounding property, but the question is have they searched with cadaver dogs? For example, it would be pretty easy to overlook a shallow grave or something else not so obvious. But, a cadaver dog can even detect human remains that are buried. Recall the Ward Weaver case--LE failed to find Miranda and Ashley, but Harry Oakes' cadaver dog alerted to both girls being on his property.

I thought the Harry Oakes stuff belonged downstairs in the Parking Lot thread? There might be good reasons why they didn't allow him on the property.

Some of those articles mention every kind of dog imaginable being used in the search, but we have no way of knowing if they were ever used on the Horman property in particular because no one from the media was apparently allowed to watch the day it was searched, and Kaine never talked about it.

I read the school policy book and they DID NOT have good procedures.

Its a DIFF STORY NOW!

My kids schools well you had to sign in and out get a visitors bADGE
AND HAD TO HAVE A DRIVERS LIC WITH YOU TO TAKE A CHILD HOME...
nO PPL WERE ALLOWED TO WALK FREELY THRU A SCHOOL AT ANY TIME...

This school is lucky it does not have a law suit.

Yes its discussed for hours because if they knew who was with Kyron they might know where he is and who he left with. He would have not gone missing from that school.

They have no idea who was in that school that day.
No one there remembers seeing anyone or anything how observant when our children are in their care!!!!!

JMO

Every school in the country has days when the rules are more lax. Every school in the country has days when people are going in and out. I think there are threads for discussing the school and whether the policies have changed.

To me, blaming the school is to blame a whole bunch of victims, especially since LE seems to believe a parent was responsible for Kyron's death, not the school. The school and the surrounding property was investigated from top to bottom several times.

When someone decides to do something evil you can't really blame their location. Plenty of people die in their homes for instance or in the parking lot of the local grocery story. Children disappear from home all the time, the place where they should have been safer than anywhere. Children are abducted from bus stops but that doesn't mean that if bus stops had sign out sheets and cameras that bad people wouldn't target them. JMOO

Every school in the country has days when the rules are more lax. Every school in the country has days when people are going in and out. I think there are threads for discussing the school and whether the policies have changed.

To me, blaming the school is to blame a whole bunch of victims, especially since LE seems to believe a parent was responsible for Kyron's death, not the school. The school and the surrounding property was investigated from top to bottom several times.

When someone decides to do something evil you can't really blame their location. Plenty of people die in their homes for instance or in the parking lot of the local grocery story. Children disappear from home all the time, the place where they should have been safer than anywhere. Children are abducted from bus stops but that doesn't mean that if bus stops had sign out sheets and cameras that bad people wouldn't target them. JMOO

Oh and it only took what 6 hours for anyone to know he wasnt in school come on now!

Sorry i dont mean any disrespect but this little boy went missing from SCHOOL
not home or a bus stop or a parking lot or a grocery store it was his school and should never have happened.

Well as i see it the school is to blame here.

When was the last time you saw a child disappear from school?
When something happens to a child in our home we ARE RESPONSIBLE ...
When we send our children out to school the school is responsible ...

We are responsible for our children at a bus stop!

Once a child step thur a door of a school the school is responsible.

i dont agree that children are safest at home so many children dont have good homes...

but kids do not disappear from school only Kyron!

More Searching off Skyline - SEARCHES...

I believe it is true that they searched the Horman property, then we don't know how they searched it, but they did search Horman Property, Thats good...

But I believe the first cursory search if the ground had been disturbed they would of brought out HRD Dogs, and /or Cadaver dogs.

Does any one know if they are searching today or any future plans??

More Searching off Skyline - SEARCHES...

I believe it is true that they searched the Horman property, then we don't know how they searched it, but they did search Horman Property, Thats good...

But I believe the first cursory search if the ground had been disturbed they would of brought out HRD Dogs, and /or Cadaver dogs.

Does any one know if they are searching today or any future plans??

I dont know if they have plans for future searches, Dogs should have been brought out no matter what..

I would think Kaine has gone over every inch of that house and yard on hands and knees.

Does any one know if they are searching today or any future plans For the area of Portland??

this is kid-friendly?

Portland has become a center for human trafficking for several reasons, said Keith Bickford, a Multnomah County sheriff's detective who heads the Oregon Human Trafficking Task Force.

The city's proximity to Interstates 5 and 84 as well as two rivers is attractive to traffickers, as is lax sexual trafficking enforcement laws, a legal sex industry, a large population of street kids and Oregon's dependence on seasonal farmworkers, Bickford said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/01/human_trafficking_industry_thr.html

I believe another poster provided this link as well?

I respect your opinion. I take it that you don't live in portland. I personally find that it is a great place to raise children. There is so much to do, and there are opportunities for my 4 children that just aren't available in too many places. I have lived in many geographical areas of the United States, and I chose Portland as the place to raise my children for several reasons. I am originally from ultra-conservative western Michigan, and I would never move back. Portland is among the most popular places to live in the United States, and along with the good it is going to attract the bad like any large city. I stand by my belief that the home environment is the most critical factor in what our children become.

Oh and it only took what 6 hours for anyone to know he wasnt in school come on now!

Sorry i dont mean any disrespect but this little boy went missing from SCHOOL
not home or a bus stop or a parking lot or a grocery store it was his school and should never have happened.

Well as i see it the school is to blame here.

When was the last time you saw a child disappear from school?
When something happens to a child in our home we ARE RESPONSIBLE ...
When we send our children out to school the school is responsible ...

We are responsible for our children at a bus stop!

Once a child step thur a door of a school the school is responsible.

i dont agree that children are safest at home so many children dont have good homes...

but kids do not disappear from school only Kyron!

Yes, Kyron disappeared from the hallway at Skyline School--according to his stepmother, Terri Horman. You are right, children don't usually disappear from school. That is one reason why a stranger abduction is highly unlikely in this case. Regarding the 6 hours, it was well known that Kyron wasn't in school. At least 2 individuals--Kyron's teacher and friend--believed Kyron was absent due to a doctor's appointment. As for the school being responsible, what parent would leave a 7 year old child with a possible neurological disorder (according to her the doctor suspected he was having seizures) alone in a hallway? Just my opinion.

I believe another poster provided this link as well?

I respect your opinion. I take it that you don't live in portland. I personally find that it is a great place to raise children. There is so much to do, and there are opportunities for my 4 children that just aren't available in too many places. I have lived in many geographical areas of the United States, and I chose Portland as the place to raise my children for several reasons. I am originally from ultra-conservative western Michigan, and I would never move back. Portland is among the most popular places to live in the United States, and along with the good it is going to attract the bad like any large city. I stand by my belief that the home environment is the most critical factor in what our children become.

I agree. A high child sex trafficking rate affects teenagers who run away from home and become involved with pimps. It doesn't mean that every child in Portland is at a huge risk of being kidnaped from their bedrooms and sold to some sex traffickers in East Asia.

This thread has gone way OT and is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname