2011.08.05 Hearing on Casey's probation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus JP isn't resentencing KC he would just be enforcing the portion of the sentence she just served. DT should have just taken the probation and called it a day. jmo

Now that's a thought ! Seriously though, it sounded good when he handed down the 4 year sentence, because it was the max she could receive...but, the 412 days he gave her seemed, to me, to be a secret parting gift.

I think it was done on purpose for reasons we are not privy to.. The prosecutors/State apparently did not object either. Judges do confer as far as I know with both DT and PT prior to rendering the sentence in order to avoid any appellate issues. It is not decided in a vacuum. It is still team work.

I think it was done on purpose for reasons we are not privy to.. The prosecutors/State apparently did not object either. Judges do confer as far as I know with both DT and PT prior to rendering the sentence in order to avoid any appellate issues. It is not decided in a vacuum. It is still team work.
I (personally) believe that they wanted her, and this case, to go away.

You couldn't be more wrong there if you wanted to be. Who do you think pays for the billion dollar stadiums? Tax payers. Nationally, subsidies to professional sports facilities are costing taxpayers approximately $500 million a year.

Every year, millions of taxpayer dollars are poured into stadiums, hockey rinks, baseball parks, and other arenas in order to attract and retain professional sports teams in big cities. Often the money is spent by the cities after a team "threatens" to leave the city.

http://www.bolender.com/Dr. Ron/SOC...Unit 13 Urban Life/Sports Stadium Madness.htm

http://www.akdart.com/sports.html

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704461304576216330349497852.html

Really. That much money? Wow, and people are upset with the money spent on this trial? jmo

I think the jury, who was apparently unable to comprehend the jury instructions, was blind sighted by the DP. DP , somehow in their simple minds, escalated the reasonable doubt to a higher bar.
DP is getting less acceptance/unpopular by the average person unless you have a serial killer and/or pedophile cruel child murder. They do not want to be responsible for another person's death, even though it is the Judge who ultimately decides on death or LWOP. JMO.

..the DP factored in to their deliberations ( as evidenced by what we've heard from jennifer ford, and the jury foreman...)

..when--------they were NOT to factor the DP in at ALL, as they deliberated on the GUILT phase.

..both JF and the foreman have also cried that if only they had been given other choices---they would have found her guilty ....

..no wonder they've shut up --they've probably heard themselves speak and see just how ridiculous they sound.

------juror #3.

Good Morning America: " Do you think if the prosecutors had not been seeking the death penalty, it would have affected how you deliberated about this case"?

JenniferFord: "Absolutely! We were ..uh. I think it was mentioned even a few times, if they charged her with other things, we probably could have convicted her or you know got her a guilty sentence, but not for death, not for first degree. There's not enough to substantiate that. That's a very serious charge".

( they had EIGHT other choices, NOT counting the 4 liar charges they did find her guilty of.)

Good Morning America: "what else could the prosecution have done...?"

Jennifer Ford: "I'm not sure what I needed to see. They had strong circumstantial evidence. They just needed something solid. Something to say that it absolutely was not an accident. Something to tie it all together, and not leave the dots for us, ummm or me, to kind of connect with speculations and accusations and guessing. Uh we were instructed not to do that. So for us to connnect the dots with question marks, you know, it didn't feel justifiable to do that."

( guess what jennifer ford----the prosecution doesn't give you the completed puzzle with a bow on top--------they give YOU the pieces, to CONNECT yourself..)

~ ~ ~
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/cas...ed-solid-14016509?tab=9482931&section=1206833
--nightline---with jennifer ford juror # 3----

TM—"i’m going to press you on this".

J3—"go for it".

TM--"duct tape-----on a baby, in a bag, rotting, in the woods. most people look at that, put 2+2 together and say that’s a murder".

J3--"well, in our country, you have to prove it. you can’t be like , yeah that looks bad-- smells bad, looks bad i get that, smells bad , looks bad, it does—but it’s someone else’s life, and if i’m wrong, and i kill someone else-- i can’t live with that".

TM—"why were you crying? after you handed down a not guilty verdict on murder".

J3—"not guilty doesn’t mean innocent. ..it doesn’t mean innocent".

TM—"how do you feel that you may have let a woman who murdered her own daughter walk off that charge?"

J3
—"it doesn’t feel good, it was a horrible decision to hafta make, but i had to do it based on the law".

TM—"how much, did the fact that this was a DP case weigh on you during the course of the trial and in your deliberations"?

J3—"well, it weighs heavily, it’s the ultimate, it’s the ultimate, like it’s as big as you can get.
it’s someone else’s life in your hands. if they want to charge, and they want me to take someone’s life, they have to prove it, or else i’m a murderer too and i’m not any better".

I (personally) believe that they wanted her, and this case, to go away.

..i don't think so. even prior TO sentencing at that hearing he asked the state if they had anything to say..

..LDB----"yes, your Honour-----i filed a motion yesterday for costs of prosecution/investigation and request the Court reserve jurisdiction for that hearing to be held....."

..that would support that the SAO didn't want her and the case to 'go away'-----but that they are intent on fully seeing it ( and all applicable motions dealing with it ) through.

..neither the judge or the state would have the ability to mess with the # of days she should have served ( just to be done with her).

..the sentence was what it was 4 years, consecutive----less time served ( plus the good time/gain time ) calculation.

..i don't think so. even prior TO sentencing at that hearing he asked the state if they had anything to say..

..LDB----"yes, your Honour-----i filed a motion yesterday for costs of prosecution/investigation and request the Court reserve jurisdiction for that hearing to be held....."

..that would support that the SAO didn't want her and the case to 'go away'-----but that they are intent on fully seeing it ( and all applicable motions dealing with it ) through.

..neither the judge or the state would have the ability to mess with the # of days she should have served ( just to be done with her).

..the sentence was what it was 4 years, consecutive----less time served ( plus the good time/gain time ) calculation.
BBM.

This is where I may be confused, I thought that JP gave her the 412 days, that she served under the check fraud sentence, as time also served for the four year sentence. He could have only given her 631 days, for time served, for the four year sentence (since the 412 days were used up for the fraud convictions). The way I see it, he made that choice.

I had a nice conversation with my local councillor this afternoon. I am her campaign manager. And her day is a lawyer. Gee, this young woman does out of Country recovery law. Here in Canada, there is a good business in recovering money, property and people who have left this Country to avoid nasty situations. Now she is a avid follower of this Casey court case. And has resources we can only dream of.

Now on this probation issue? She says the written law in Florida is a mess. And the Judge can truly rule anyway he sees fit. BUT the interesting part is here. The civil depositions. Her interpretations of the badly written laws. IF Casey is on probation, then any other State will be bound by law to pick Casey up and return her to Florida for the civil suits. But if Casey is not on probation, then it becomes a federal issue. A federal issue there is no chance of them enforcing because it was not a federal court case ruling. Casey will be free of those depositions then. As long as she stays away from Florida. An example from here in Canada. Casey on probation, we send the RCMP police to pick her up and deliver Casey to the Florida, at Florida's expense. But with no probation, Canada does nothing if she is here. And this is maybe the key issue here for the DT. Making sure Casey never has to testify in the civil suits. Thus costing them all that money.

But, it appears that Judge Perry has one last option here. She says it is reasonably clear that Judge Perry can redo the lying time served if the probation completed time sticks. But he could then add a year of probation on to the lying sentence. It seems that probation goes usually with a lying to LE conviction. But Judge Perry passed on that option because he thought Casey had probation time coming. Oh I am hoping here. It is not over yet. And it is doubtful it will be over this week. But getting Casey on probation one way or the other is ever so important to the civil suits here. We shall see..........

I've been super busy lately and not had much online time....I'm not sure why this thread is still open when the Hearing was on Friday. :waitasec:

Closing now.

Please continue discussion on the topical threads or generate a new one if one doesn't already exist. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea