2023 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

A few pictures of Acapulco. All in articles.

It's gonna be awhile until there is more info and images. It looks bad. Some of it is so bad, that I can't tell whether it's storm surge or wind. Bare palms always makes me think of horrific storm surge, but it is also possible for a Cat 5 to do the damage from wind.

Hurricane Otis Hits Mexico’s Pacific Coast, Cuts Off Acapulco (Totally paywalled, but picture is visible. This pic looks like wind damage to me)

One video out of a local US station showed a Circle K Convenience Store (Did not screenshot it as it didn't show much of the damage that it was worth the effort to screenshot, but I had no idea they had Circle K in Acapulco!)

Last edited:

Tammy strengthened to a Category 2 hurricane Wednesday morning. The National Hurricane Center predicts it could strengthen further Wednesday, followed by weakening later in the week as it makes a northwestward turn.

The current cone forecast shows the storm pointing back towards the U.S.

View attachment 455835

Tammy has worked herself into a ball at the moment.

3317359B-ECC5-4315-81FB-EFAD551FE7FC.jpeg

“CNN —
At least 27 people are dead in Acapulco, Mexico, after Hurricane Otis slammed into the coast Wednesday as a record-breaking Category 5 storm.

Four people are also missing, Mexican Security Minister Rosa Icela Rodriguez said during a news conference on Thursday morning.

Mexican officials are still working to determine the full extent of the devastation caused by Otis, which caused widespread communications outages for residents and emergency crews.”

There is a report circulating that 16 people died at the Vicente Guerrero Hospital in Acapulco that was hit hard by the hurricane. There are verified Mexican journalists on twitter that are reporting it, but the Mexican government has denied it. No large Mexican newspapers or other MSM outlets have reported it.

“CNN —
At least 27 people are dead in Acapulco, Mexico, after Hurricane Otis slammed into the coast Wednesday as a record-breaking Category 5 storm.

Four people are also missing, Mexican Security Minister Rosa Icela Rodriguez said during a news conference on Thursday morning.

Mexican officials are still working to determine the full extent of the devastation caused by Otis, which caused widespread communications outages for residents and emergency crews.”

There is a report circulating that 16 people died at the Vicente Guerrero Hospital in Acapulco that was hit hard by the hurricane. There are verified Mexican journalists on twitter that are reporting it, but the Mexican government has denied it. No large Mexican newspapers or other MSM outlets have reported it.
It will probably climb.

However, I did see some pictures of "looting" from yesterday. Now, I don't approve of looting, but some people were able to get around Acapulco and grab themselves some groceries. Fortunately, the looting looked quite peaceful and I could not tell it apart from shopping.

It will probably climb.

However, I did see some pictures of "looting" from yesterday. Now, I don't approve of looting, but some people were able to get around Acapulco and grab themselves some groceries. Fortunately, the looting looked quite peaceful and I could not tell it apart from shopping.

I can also understand—it looks like the city was bombed. And they’re without water and electricity and the airport is still closed the last that I’ve heard.

Another issue is local drug cartel activity that may make the crisis even more complicated.

On Monday prior to the hurricane 13 police officers were killed by drug gangs, one hour from Acapulco.

MEXICO CITY, Oct 23 (Reuters) - Assailants gunned down at least 13 local police officers in southern Mexico's Guerrero state on Monday, a state government source told Reuters, in the latest brazen attack in a region where gangs have been vying for control over drug trading.

Among the dead is the local security chief for the town of Coyuca de Benitez, the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The town is located to the west of the popular beach resort of Acapulco.

I can also understand—it looks like the city was bombed. And they’re without water and electricity and the airport is still closed the last that I’ve heard.

Another issue is local drug cartel activity that may make the crisis even more complicated.

On Monday prior to the hurricane 13 police officers were killed by drug gangs, one hour from Acapulco.

MEXICO CITY, Oct 23 (Reuters) - Assailants gunned down at least 13 local police officers in southern Mexico's Guerrero state on Monday, a state government source told Reuters, in the latest brazen attack in a region where gangs have been vying for control over drug trading.

Among the dead is the local security chief for the town of Coyuca de Benitez, the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The town is located to the west of the popular beach resort of Acapulco.

The president drove down there from Mexico City yesterday. Normally, it's a 4 hour drive. Today, it's listed as a 7 hr drive. His jeep got stuck in the mud. That is a little crazy, because from Mexico City to Acapulco is nothing but mountains.

Thank you. From your link:

“The storm’s survivors who call this place home, and the tourists who sought it out as a place of escape, strapped what belongings remained to their cars, seeking shelter, a way out or both. Others turned to walking to try to find a way out of a city with a crippled airport and roads blocked and congested by debris and vehicles.

Mexican authorities said Friday morning they were opening Acapulco’s airport in a limited capacity to commercial flights from Mexico City to evacuate people and bring medical supplies to the city. They also said they were sending 270 buses to the area to help evacuations.”

In the article it said some people took refuge under bridges. I watched the live cams that night as the storm hit before they went down. It was such a beautiful place and it was just breathtaking, but also sickening to think a category 5 hurricane was about to hit those people and not one thing we could do to help.

I think all of us in this thread have experienced a few hurricanes and except for the severity each one is similar. We can see it coming, we prepare and brace. And then there are hours where electricity and communication are cut off and we have no idea what has happened outside our direct community that we can see. Then we repair and carry on.

This storm was unique because of how rapidly it progressed, leaving people no time to prepare or evacuate. I’m just astounded by the speed and force of it.

Andrew was not a wet storm it was windy. I noticed they still had a lot of fronds left, I always notice the trees first because ours were stripped bare.But the water and the wind together! How awful!

It looks worse after several days! Crews able to get to more remote sites, vegetation dying. It's bad!

Looting broke out as food, water and gasoline become scarce after the destruction caused by Otis, which the government on Sunday said had killed 48 people, with six people missing

The cost of damage could climb as high as $15 billion according to estimates, and Lopez Obrador said the ministers of finance and the economy would be in Acapulco on Monday.

_131558236_mediaitem131558235.jpg

231030-hurricane-otis-mexico-mn-0845-71aa30.jpg

231030-hurricane-otis-mexico-mn-0840-27be3a.jpg

231028-hurricane-otis-2-cc-0546p-3f826a.jpg

It looks worse after several days! Crews able to get to more remote sites, vegetation dying. It's bad!

Looting broke out as food, water and gasoline become scarce after the destruction caused by Otis, which the government on Sunday said had killed 48 people, with six people missing

The cost of damage could climb as high as $15 billion according to estimates, and Lopez Obrador said the ministers of finance and the economy would be in Acapulco on Monday.

That is devastating and very sad to see. It’s almost as if they need to scrape it all off and just start over. Some of those families will never recover unfortunately.

I think this is a large-scale humanitarian disaster in the making. The issues are just going to exponentially grow.

The Mexican government seems to be unable to deal with the destruction, no offence to them. When we’ve had catastrophic hurricanes we had to rely on hundreds of power workers from across Canada and the US to help us.

The world community needs to step in. I unfortunately don’t believe the current death toll, it’s implausible based on the destruction we’ve seen.

Last edited:

The National Hurricane Center is currently monitoring four areas of disturbed weather in the Pacific and the Atlantic, with a region in the Caribbean receiving increased scrutiny due to the potential for land impacts.

I think this is a large-scale humanitarian disaster in the making. The issues are just going to exponentially grow.

The Mexican government seems to be unable to deal with the destruction, no offence to them. When we’ve had catastrophic hurricanes we had to rely on hundreds of power workers from across Canada and the US to help us.

The world community needs to step in. I unfortunately don’t believe the current death toll, it’s implausible based on the destruction we’ve seen.
Sadly, I think you are spot on.

The gravity of the effects of a cat 5 Hurricane are catastrophic. IMO pictures don't even do it justice. Even the Mexican government does not yet understand the destruction and it's future effect on their economy.

I don't know what type of infrastructure support or property insurance they may have.

Prayers up for all those affected.

JMO

“ACAPULCO, Mexico, Oct 30 (Reuters) - The number of people dead and missing due to Hurricane Otis, a Category 5 storm which hammered the Mexican Pacific resort city of Acapulco last week, has risen to 100, the government of the southern state of Guerrero said on Monday.

Otis battered Acapulco with winds of 165 miles per hour (266 km per hour) on Wednesday, flooding the city, tearing roofs from homes, hotels and other businesses, submerging vehicles, and severing communications as well as road and air connections.

Looting broke out as the city's population of nearly 900,000 became increasingly desperate for food and water.
[…]

A line of some 150 people waiting for water provided by a local authority snaked down muddy streets in the La Frontera neighborhood on Sunday afternoon, as residents holding empty water containers bemoaned the hours-long wait.

"Look how many of us there are," said one of them, Emilia Rojas, looking around her in despair. "We're so many. This water isn't going to be enough."

On a nearby street, Perla Rubi said the long wait was uncomfortable, given how desperate people were.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back