38% of employers avoid hiring recent college graduates in favor of older workers

IceIce9

Verified EMT
Reaction score
In a survey of 800 U.S. managers and executives involved in hiring, 38% of employers avoid hiring recent college graduates in favor of older employees, because Gen Z’ers just aren’t prepared.

In fact, one in five employers have had a recent college graduate bring a parent to a job interview. Maybe some of that is over-protective parents pushing their way into the situation, but either way, graduates stumble out of the gate.

According to 53% of employers, recent college graduates struggle with eye contact during interviews. Others ask for unreasonable compensation, dress inappropriately, and use inappropriate language.

I’ve sat in on interviews and I can’t believe how some applicants dress. T-shirts, shorts, flip flops, baseball caps.
I have to agree. I used to do the hiring for staff at our firm and it has become shocking. In the last several years we receive resumes or letters of application with horrendous spelling errors, use of text-type language (LOL, thru, YKWIM). Interviews in inappropriate attire, late to interviews, etc. It is stunning. And many of these folks are right out of college.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back