4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #86

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idaho student murders suspect Bryan Kohberger reveals alibi claim​

Thu, August 3, 2023 at 7:37 PM EDT·

On Wednesday, Kohberger's attorneys objected to the state's request for an alibi of his whereabouts on the night of the murder.

In the court documents, his attorneys claim "Mr. Kohberger has long had a habit of going for drives alone," and that he did so on the night and morning of the brutal killings.

"Mr. Kohberger is not claiming to be at a specific location at a specific time;
at this time there is not a specific witness to say precisely where Mr. Kohberger was at each moment of the hours between late night November 12, 2022, and early morning November 13, 2022," the filing said.

His attorney said that corroborating evidence that Kohberger was not at the scene of the crime will come from the cross-examination of state's witnesses.

"Mr. Kohberger cannot be more specific about the possible witnesses and exactly what they will say," the filing said.

"Mr. Kohberger has long had a habit of going for drives alone," and that he did so on the night and morning of the brutal killings.

"Mr. Kohberger is not claiming to be at a specific location at a specific time;
at this time there is not a specific witness to say precisely where Mr. Kohberger was at each moment of the hours between late night November 12, 2022, and early morning November 13, 2022," the filing
Seriously? After all that fuss this is the best they could do? BK is screwed.

”I was only accidentally stalking the murder victims! Such a scenic and relaxing drive down a side street, behind a house and amongst the carports! And who amongst us hasn’t unintentionally circled a house over and over until the coast was clear right before a quadruple homicide!”

And gee - no direct witnesses? I guess it’s case closed. Too bad there aren’t other ways to determine a persons whereabouts.

Last edited:

”I was only accidentally stalking the murder victims! Such a scenic and relaxing drive down a side street, behind a house and amongst the carports! And who amongst us hasn’t unintentionally circled a house over and over until the coast was clear right before a quadruple homicide!”

And gee - no direct witnesses? I guess it’s case closed. Too bad there aren’t other ways to determine a persons whereabouts.
Right on!! On his pleasure drive BK probably saw at least half a dozen cars that matched his own! One of those cars occcupants must have done it! JMO

Mistakes? Dunning-Kruger Effect?
BK qualifies for the Dunning Kruger syndrome.
@x_files Thanks for your post. Agreeing w ^.

Using the three ways "things go wrong" listed below,* I'm trying to decide where his most critical mistake was:
- ignoring bad odds,
- taking unnecessary risks, or
- failing to prepare for contingencies.

Maybe boo-boos in all three categories?
Thoughts, anyone, everyone?

"Not all accounts of the Dunning–Kruger effect focus on its negative sides. Some also concentrate on its positive sides, e.g. that ignorance is sometimes bliss....To distinguish the negative from the positive sides, two important phases have been suggested to be relevant for realizing a goal: preparatory planning and the execution of the plan.... overconfidence may be beneficial in the execution phase by increasing motivation and energy. But it can be detrimental in the planning phase since the agent may ignore bad odds, take unnecessary risks, or fail to prepare for contingencies."

^ Dunning–Kruger effect - Wikipedia

It's general but the doc seems to have his alibi of driving around beginning late night of 12th November? But I think that combined ping data and video footage, plus whatever extra location data since extracted from BK's phone, will place him in Pullman at 2.40 am on the 13th as per PCA. Before 2.42 on 13th he was utilising cellular resources consistent with him being at home at Steptoe or if not at home driving round within half a mile of there.Moo. Since the PCA, more location data from his device has probably pinned down his location much more accurately. Moo

So just curious why D has his alibi of driving around beginning on the 12th when at 2.42 am on the 13th from what we know his car and his phone were in Pullman either at or near to Steptoe appts. If the D's statement is read literately then they're contending that at some point before midnight BK was driving wherever (and unless he was doing that without phone or turned off phone, P and D both know where that was, Imo) then he returned to Pullman from wherever and then left again (after switching phone off) for another drive at 2.50am. Or he spent a minium of 2 hours 50 minutes just randomly driving round Pullman/local area? Moo

The suggested timing for alibi makes me think the D aren't seriously thinking (at least at this point in time) of contesting the 4.48 -5.30am ping/video data (he needs to turn up on Hwy 95 near Blaine after his "driving around", Imo) and if that's the case, then they won't be contesting the 2.42-2.53 ping data/video combo either. Perhaps additional gps data recovered from BK's device has made that location data uncontestable?

But adding in the at least 2hours and 50 minutes between midnight and 2.50am on 13th, that's a lot of driving and a lot of gas/fuel. Not sure what an elantra tank holds but you would expect him to have had to visit a service station at some point during those approx 5 hours of driving. A receipt would help but I'm betting that he'll probably say he paid cash if it's clear he would have needed to add some gas to the tank during the phone off hours in order to make the alibi feasible. Moo.
Good points.

The defense is doing its job, given the cards it has to work with, MOO.

2016 Hyundai Elantras get decent gas mileage (28 mpg city/38 mpg highway), which is about my experience driving one. Gas tank holds about 12.8 gallons.

FWIW, I don’t know of any stations around here where gas purchases wouldn’t be captured on video regardless of payment method. Assuming a decent video canvass was done, an assumption I think is supported by the Clarkston, WA video footage from at least three different businesses, LE knows whether or not BK purchased gas during the pertinent period, MOO.

ETA: this latest from the Defense is also kinda a twofer, MOO, in that it attempts to “explain away” BK’s previous night visits to the King Rd area as established in the PCA. That falls flat with me.

Last edited:

Yup.

There sure are other ways to determine a person's whereabouts besides a witness seeing them in person.

Where did his phone ping at 4:00 - 5:00am? Texts? Using the Internet from his phone? Looking for directions? Oh that's right he had his phone turned off during the murders, what a bad coincidence for him.

Where are the home and business and traffic security cameras showing him driving at 4:00am - miles away from King Rd?

How about someone's door cam? There are alot of those.

What about him seeing something specific far away from King Rd that he wouldn't know about unless he was there? Something he saw that shows he was away from Moscow starting at 4:00am.

What about receipts from a store or fast food drive-through or a bar, anything?

How bout being seen on inside security cameras from entering a place of business?

Nope. According to the Motion the defense will try to prove he wasn't at King Rd but there is no evidence to show where he actually was - no true alibi. They have no idea where he was according the Motion.

Biggest non-alibi I have ever heard of.

2 Cents

Love your work Maat99!

Omg that’s so weak
So we are to believe he was just having an innocent drive around whilst his sheath magiced itself into the house
Such a random coincidence--->>>he was out driving around, and coincidentally, someone was trying to frame him for a quadruple murder, at the same time in the same place that he was driving around aimlessly. Such a co-inky-dink.

What kind of alibi is driving in a car late at night by yourself???

Oxymoron to be alone without an alibi to claim as your alibi.
Such a random coincidence--->>>he was out driving around, and coincidentally, someone was trying to frame him for a quadruple murder, at the same time in the same place that he was driving around aimlessly. Such a co-inky-dink.
Good analysis.

What kind of alibi is driving in a car late at night by yourself???

Oxymoron to be alone without an alibi to claim as your alibi.

I think he's using the prosecution's evidence that he was driving in the area as an *alibi* - ie, we are all in agreement that I was driving in the area, that is what I was doing, you already have proof of that, therefore your proof is my alibi.

Well that's some kind of twisted distorted logic.

It's general but the doc seems to have his alibi of driving around beginning late night of 12th November? But I think that combined ping data and video footage, plus whatever extra location data since extracted from BK's phone, will place him in Pullman at 2.40 am on the 13th as per PCA. Before 2.42 on 13th he was utilising cellular resources consistent with him being at home at Steptoe or if not at home driving round within half a mile of there.Moo. Since the PCA, more location data from his device has probably pinned down his location much more accurately. Moo

So just curious why D has his alibi of driving around beginning on the 12th when at 2.42 am on the 13th from what we know his car and his phone were in Pullman either at or near to Steptoe appts. If the D's statement is read literately then they're contending that at some point before midnight BK was driving wherever (and unless he was doing that without phone or turned off phone, P and D both know where that was, Imo) then he returned to Pullman from wherever and then left again (after switching phone off) for another drive at 2.50am. Or he spent a minium of 2 hours 50 minutes just randomly driving round Pullman/local area? Moo

The suggested timing for alibi makes me think the D aren't seriously thinking (at least at this point in time) of contesting the 4.48 -5.30am ping/video data (he needs to turn up on Hwy 95 near Blaine after his "driving around", Imo) and if that's the case, then they won't be contesting the 2.42-2.53 ping data/video combo either. Perhaps additional gps data recovered from BK's device has made that location data uncontestable?

But adding in the at least 2hours and 50 minutes between midnight and 2.50am on 13th, that's a lot of driving and a lot of gas/fuel. Not sure what an elantra tank holds but you would expect him to have had to visit a service station at some point during those approx 5 hours of driving. A receipt would help but I'm betting that he'll probably say he paid cash if it's clear he would have needed to add some gas to the tank during the phone off hours in order to make the alibi feasible. Moo.
I think they'll say he stopped and parked (on a rural road) for some of that time. Jmo.

Last edited:
Well, we know they seized at least two from the PA residence. Remarkably, they do not state the type of knife for the the first which may be significant.

Compare the entry for Item 1 to the entry for Item 5 on this warrant return of the PA home:

(The warrant return inventory of seized items, handwritten. You have to scroll past the typed portion that deals with what they were authorized to search "for".)
This has likely been covered and I missed it, but I’m having trouble interpreting the description of item 29. Do you know what it says?

All that hoo-ha about an alibi- and this is the best they can do-- kinda pathetic isn't it?

Right on!! On his pleasure drive BK probably saw at least half a dozen cars that matched his own! One of those cars occcupants must have done it! JMO
Such an eery coincidence that one of those other identical car guys drove past the King Rd house multiple times and even “appeared to unsuccessfully attempt to park or turn around in the road” (per PCA) in front of the King Rd house.

Awhile back, someone (I apologize for not remembering who) had posted the Car Fax for BK's white elantra. They'd noted that BK had put a lot of miles on in the short amount of time since he'd purchased the car. The D would be able to compare the miles on his car at the time it was seized by LE, as well, subtracting his move to WA and Christmas break trip back to PA. My guess is the mileage will be significant towards them showing he drives around a lot.

We know of at least 12 times BK's phone was within cellular resource range of King Rd prior to the murders, but the D could come back with the mileage and say, "but that only accounts for a small fraction of what he's put on his car, because he goes for drives frequently, and takes a lot of different routes." There wouldn't still be camera footage from all his time in WA, so how do you prove or disprove anything? And what if turning his phone off was normal for him? Phone records could show that, as well as previous drives he took, not in Moscow, with his phone on. What we're seeing as a pathetic excuse for an alibi might actually jive with his normal behavior, and the D could then try to use that to their advantage.

And, once again, from the evidence we've seen per the PCA, there isn't any footage of the white elantra in Pullman actually entering or exiting Moscow. The PCA says the footage from WSU was the footage the FBI used to analyze the vehicle. Well, they aren't denying that the car in Pullman was BK. But what about the white elantra in Moscow? Was that analyzed by the FBI, too? Is there more footage than we know about, showing it entering or exiting Moscow? What's the proof it's the same white elantra other than a missing front plate in a college town with lots of out-of-staters? They could show photos of other vehicles in Moscow that only have one license plate because they come from states that don't require two.

My point isn't that I believe BK is innocent. But, IMO, it will really come down to the knife sheath DNA. After all, there was no victim DNA anywhere in BK's car, apartment, etc. So, if the D can give just enough reasonable doubt to BK's actual whereabouts that morning (poor guy was just on a habitual late-night drive to clear his head...haven't we all been there?), then the goal would be to get at least one juror to question the veracity of the sheath DNA evidence, and that's if the D can't get the DNA suppressed to begin with.

All JMO.

I would be really curious to know if BK's long standing habit of going out for drives alone at night stopped after the night of the murders. Based on his area of study, I would think that King Road would become even more interesting to him after the Idaho murders. Crime scenes are known for drawing attention and onlookers. I am curious if BK lost his interest in King Road though...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member