4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #93

I am going to bet that it was section chiefs that oversaw the chain of evidence. To ensure that there were absolutely no errors that could be attributed to incorrect documentation or chain of custody. This is probably the most significant case that ever happened in this town.

They called in the FBI immediately, for technical support. I doubt that the defense is going to find many errors here to peck at.

They are finding zero errors to peck at...

When the DNA had been secured and preserved at the crime scenes and sent through the correct chain of command and signed off and photographed and videographed every step of the way and bagged and tagged and locked away in safes being guardered in evidence lockers etc....

There is no errors rendering the DNA to be unusable. When the snap DNA is shown by the experts of how it matches Bryan's DNA by Octillian amounts it will be the most compelling piece of evidence.

Then you have all the other icing on the cake evidence.

2 Cents

Was only commenting on this
"View attachment 503305
The last sentence above indicates that Bika Barlow is saying the BK profile is both "ambiguous and partial". "

When reading relevant section of Barlow's report it's clear she is not referring to the BK profile (you mean the str single source male dna profile from the sheathe button) in that sentence. It's my strong opinion you are misreading what is unambiguous and quite clear in meaning. But yes ofcourse we can and will just disagree.

For anyone interested in reading for themselves see pps 11 to 13 "Item 4.2: Match Detail Reports and long-form Candidate Match Reports for the
hit(s) including partial hits and hits that are dispositioned to be nonmatching (even if the laboratory has dispositioned a profile as a hit)."

Yes, that's what I'm disagreeing with you on. To me, it is clear she is talking about BK's case. We'll eventually find out one way or the other - I suppose, at the trial.

There were limits with Chad Daybell's lawyer getting paid - getting reimbersed- and having to use some of his own money. And Chad's trial is an Idaho DP trial same as BK's.

I have never seen a DP indigent defendant get so much coddling by the state and defense, unlimited funds even several outfits where other defendants have just one or 2 outfits.

Judge is allowing the defense to string the motions along as if the defense is in charge and not the judge. I am loosing respect for the judge who cowers to the defense, embarrassing. Is he not experienced doing DP cases? So afraid to slip up?

These small towns are not very savy...took forever just to decide on the King Rd house. Now they cry about the trial affecting student traffic....too bad...have the darn trial when your ready.

2 Cents
I’m assuming you noticed from the article that it’s a different judge from a different county (Judge Mark Monson of the 2nd Judicial District in Nez Perce County) who is the resource judge that has sealed the record about the specifics of the defense’s costs & expenses?

As a taxpayer who is actually footing the bill on three levels (resident of Moscow, Latah County, and Idaho), I want this whole thing done correctly the first time. If that takes time & money, so be it.

I have zero interest in living in a place where how “fair” one’s trial is or how “valued” rights are depend on a defendant’s wealth or poverty. Especially when the death penalty is involved.

All MOO, as always.

Really, just take the DP off the table. I am fine with LWOP. So many jurors seem to be very tepid about actually voting for the DP without a video of the murder now. The concept of "Reasonable Doubt" had been turned inside out and upside down by defense attorneys.
Especially since it appears that it will not be used anyway.

There were limits with Chad Daybell's lawyer getting paid - getting reimbersed- and having to use some of his own money. And Chad's trial is an Idaho DP trial same as BK's.

I have never seen a DP indigent defendant get so much coddling by the state and defense, unlimited funds even several outfits where other defendants have just one or 2 outfits.

Judge is allowing the defense to string the motions along as if the defense is in charge and not the judge. I am loosing respect for the judge who cowers to the defense, embarrassing. Is he not experienced doing DP cases? So afraid to slip up?

These small towns are not very savy...took forever just to decide on the King Rd house. Now they cry about the trial affecting student traffic....too bad...have the darn trial when your ready.

2 Cents

I’m assuming you noticed from the article that it’s a different judge from a different county (Judge Mark Monson of the 2nd Judicial District in Nez Perce County) who is the resource judge that has sealed the record about the specifics of the defense’s costs & expenses?

As a taxpayer who is actually footing the bill on three levels (resident of Moscow, Latah County, and Idaho), I want this whole thing done correctly the first time. If that takes time & money, so be it.

I have zero interest in living in a place where how “fair” one’s trial is or how “valued” rights are depend on a defendant’s wealth or poverty. Especially when the death penalty is involved.

All MOO, as always.

I don't know what this means but if your happy with it I am. The whole problem boils down to these States that prosecute with DP specifications.

So glad my state stopped this madness.

BBM

Personally I don't see the judge's actions as coddling and certainly not as cowering. A trial that can result in the government putting someone to death is a pretty big deal. And a judicial "slip up" would be a huge deal.

I agree a lot of money is being spent. DP trials always take longer and always cost a lot more. Per the link you posted above about costs, on the average a DP trial costs at least a million dollars more than a LWOP case. And appeals are more costly and time-consuming than appeals in other kinds of cases. That's one of many arguments against the DP, of course.

Regardless, it's very unlikely ANY judge could be "experienced" with DP trials. It's relatively rare for the State to seek the DP. In Idaho there are only 8 people on death row. The last execution was in 2012. Some who are on death row were convicted back in the 1980's when this judge was probably just starting law school..

JJJ has been a judge only since 2018. In a bit less than 6 years as a judge he can't have had much experience with DP trials but neither can other judges given how rare DP cases are. IMO better he be cautious though regardless of his experience level.

MOO
RBBM

Small nit: Judge Judge was our magistrate judge starting in 2008. He became our district court judge in 2018 after a decade on the bench:
https://judicialcouncil.idaho.gov/Judge_John_2016.pdf

For more info:
IMG_2656.jpeg

I don't know what this means but if your happy with it I am. The whole problem boils down to these States that prosecute with DP specifications.

Yeah, it really isn't worth it. Especially with all of the appeals, drama...and malingering of DP candidates. Most get a pass for being "incompetent". Like, too stupid to kill? Whatever.

RBBM

Small nit: Judge Judge was our magistrate judge starting in 2008. He became our district court judge in 2018 after a decade on the bench:

For more info:
View attachment 503426
Yes, quite true. Perhaps I should have included more about JJJ's background in my comment. I certainly wasn't suggesting JJJ had just recently finished law school or that he lacked legal experience in general. I was replying to a comment that seemed to suggest he was afraid of making mistakes and was "cowering" because he might lack experience with death penalty trials. I don't see his performance that way. But most judges do lack experience with DP cases-- fortunately those aren't a dime a dozen. But so far as I know and so far as I can tell from reading the blurb about duties you posted, a magistrate doesn't deal with death penalty cases. So this judge can't have presided over many DP trials given he's only been in a position to hear capital cases for less than 6 years.
MOO

Awww but you have never seen a defendant who almost has a masters in criminal justice brought to trial for murder either, at least as far as I know
I’m sure there are others, but just off the top of my head, the Unabomber had a Master’s and a Doctorate in Mathematics.
He was found guilty and was serving eight life sentences when he died.

IMO it’s irrelevant to the question of whether or not someone highly educated could be a murderer, and if the evidence is there, it should be completely irrelevant to a trial and sentencing.

Even if the suspect specialized in Criminal Justice. If anything, to me he was still just a student and now he’s facing people whose entire careers are in Criminal Justice.

JMO

I know it’s common knowledge but I’ll provide a link:

Last edited:
I’m sure there are others, but just off the top of my head, the Unabomber had a Master’s and a Doctorate in Mathematics.
He was found guilty and was serving eight life sentences when he died.

IMO it’s irrelevant to the question of whether or not someone highly educated could be a murderer, and if the evidence is there, it should be completely irrelevant to a trial and sentencing.

Even if the suspect specialized in Criminal Justice. If anything, to me he was still just a student and now he’s facing people whose entire careers are in Criminal Justice.

JMO

I know it’s common knowledge but I’ll provide a link:
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there are a lot of Doctors who are arrested for killing their spouses. They are all very highly educated.

Right. And it supposed to be believable that a Ph.D. student of criminology can't remember where he had been that night as the news broke.
Right? The news would break the next day---and he wouldn't remember, at that time, where he was during his several hours of driving around, just a several hours earlier?

I think most people, when hearing about a brutal quadruple murder in their area, think about where they were at that exact time---was I nearby? Could I have seen anything, was I ever in danger?

Hard for me to believe it took him 2 years to come up with 'being in the park stargazing during a foggy night' as his alibi.

The threat of the DP provides leverage that states without it don't have. And some crimes are just so abhorrent that it's the only punishment that fits. moo I'm glad I live in a state that has it. amoo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DryHeat77
Back