4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #93

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I am certain they found a problem with the DNA is because it is touch DNA. Touch DNA gets everywhere and all over everything and the person whose DNA is found doesn't even have to touch the object or ever be in the presence of the object for their DNA to be found on the object. Touch DNA is EASILY disputed in court, yet AT is wanting her defense investigator to do work based on whatever they found in regards to the DNA. If you really think about it, the ONLY reason AT would do that would be because there is a problem with the DNA. No defense attorney is going to waste money and time on this issue when it is easy to bring reasonable doubt about it before a jury.
Even though DNA can be transferred from one place to another it's compelling evidence when a suspect who has no relationship or known prior contact to the victims has their DNA turn up at the crime scene on a piece of evidence related to a possible murder weapon.

If the suspects DNA was found on a grocery bag at the murder scene instead of a KA-BAR knife sheath it would hold far less weight as evidence. JMO.

Last edited:
Right? The news would break the next day---and he wouldn't remember, at that time, where he was during his several hours of driving around, just a several hours earlier?

I think most people, when hearing about a brutal quadruple murder in their area, think about where they were at that exact time---was I nearby? Could I have seen anything, was I ever in danger?

Hard for me to believe it took him 2 years to come up with 'being in the park stargazing during a foggy night' as his alibi.
His 'alibi' is not credible from the get go for this reason alone, notwithstanding the fact his D still hasn't met the ICR statute in any meaningful way Moo

Most interesting IMO, the 5/10 Defendant's response

Hmmmmm. What to make of those morsels.

Last edited:
Anne Taylor, the public defender for Kohberger, is accusing prosecutors of withholding various records and information that the defense should have access to during the discovery process. Kohberger's legal team has submitted several motions to compel prosecutors to release this evidence so they can review it and build their case.

Full article at link...

Even though DNA can be transferred from one place to another it's compelling evidence when a suspect who has no relationship or known prior contact to the victims has their DNA turn up at the crime scene on a piece of evidence related to a possible murder weapon.

If the suspects DNA was found on a grocery bag at the murder scene instead of a KA-BAR knife sheath it would hold far less weight as evidence. JMO.
On its own, I can see how some take issue with the DNA evidence, and I can see the potential problems with touch DNA. But IIRC, he was putting his trash in small bags and disposing of them in the neighbor's trash can. That was back in PA. With that and several other oddities, he certainly acted like a guilty person. amoo

On its own, I can see how some take issue with the DNA evidence, and I can see the potential problems with touch DNA. But IIRC, he was putting his trash in small bags and disposing of them in the neighbor's trash can. That was back in PA. With that and several other oddities, he certainly acted like a guilty person. amoo
Reflecting serious consciousness of guilt! What other explanation could there be?

Moreover, the recovered DNA was not on a public place, somewhere where one might expect a great deal of transfer. It was in a hard to clean, protected location on the sheath which likely. held the murder weapon and indeed was found partially beneath a stabbed victim. That is hardly an accidental, incidental transfer! Plus it was single source DNA! Clean DNA. From which they are able to create a profile. Talk about a calling card, left behind! Different than an actual calling card, it's practically impossible someone else left his DNA there, in that location so intimately associated with the crime (sheath -- knife -- stabbings).

IMO criminology guru thought he'd cleaned his knife and sheath, freed them of any traces of trace DNA and then used gloves thereafter, boldly. Didn't consider what secrets the snap fold would hold, but also didn't necessarily expect to have left it behind, though not impossible. It's possible he had two sheaths, so he could secure the knife upon departure but leave one behind, as a calling card (a nose thumb to the Marines who didn't think he was good enough) in which case the sheath was supposed to be the calling card and assuredly his DNA was never intended to be.

Why the trash-separation anxiety/paranoia? He knew they had the sheath, he knew they were close on the car, he knew he'd been stopped twice en route to PA, he knew that twice -- in atypical fashion -- neither officer took his license back to his patrol car for that infernal wait of which most drivers are familiar and, feeling the pressure, must have feared he'd somehow left DNA behind....

I can't help but to wonder, given the glimpses we've been given about past behaviors, how many times his haughty self wishes he could school the judge, and more often, his attorney, his female attorney. i think he's not unused to sitting quietly, observing intensely but I think he feels a compulsive need to make correction when he feels correction is due. Possibly he's chewed the inside of his mouth raw, the sting of forced restraint.

Murder, he's okay with. People being wrong, IMO that's what sets him off.

JMO

I have zero problems with the DNA. His DNA was left on the sheath of the knife that brutally murdered 4 people, who he had no reason to be in contact with.

And a sheath ON THE BED right next to where 2 of the murders took place.

The reason I am certain they found a problem with the DNA is because it is touch DNA. Touch DNA gets everywhere and all over everything and the person whose DNA is found doesn't even have to touch the object or ever be in the presence of the object for their DNA to be found on the object.

There is a difference between 'single source' touch DNA and mixed DNA. If it was DNA that was all over the place and left by someone else who had touched BK, then it would be a mixture of DNA.

Single Source DNA found on a metal snap is VERY different than if it was a mixture of a couple DNA partial profiles, left somewhere on some clothing or a counter top.

Having single source male DNA on the sheath snap makes it likely that the DNA was left on the snap when someone opened the sheath. ONE person, not someone else who touched that DNA and left it accidentally because there is only one DNA profile there. So it is most likely the DNA left behind by the person who last opened or closed the sheath.

Touch DNA is EASILY disputed in court,

Not always. Not when it is 'single source' and found in a place like the snap that opens the killer's weapon. That will be much harder to dismiss.
yet AT is wanting her defense investigator to do work based on whatever they found in regards to the DNA. If you really think about it, the ONLY reason AT would do that would be because there is a problem with the DNA.
Not necessarily. If you really think about it, the ONLY reason AT would want her investigator to do work based primarily regarding the DNA is because it is the MOST damning evidence against her client. If the touch DNA is so 'easily' disputed in court what is she so concerned about?
No defense attorney is going to waste money and time on this issue when it is easy to bring reasonable doubt about it before a jury.

Yeh, what is BK's explanation going to be as to how his (and only his) DNA was found on a knife sheath laying on the bed next to the bodies??

Perhaps: "My knife was stolen from my apartment or car 2 months ago." If so, where is your police report of the robbery? How come only your DNA was on it not the person who stole it (who would have been the last person to use the snap)?

I think AT knows there are so few things left that she can use to create any reasonable doubt.

She is questioning the legality of how they narrowed down the search to get his identity thru DNA company databases.

She knows cell phone tower data is not extremely accurate and only tells you within arcs where you are.

A few new dates.​

State of Idaho v. Bryan C. Kohberger​

Latah County CR29-22-2805

Case Summary (Updated 05/14/24)

Idaho Judicial Cases of Interest

Double check in case any were missed or incorrect ;)

-- May 14 motions to compel is vacated
May 30, 2024 @10:00 am PT. Reset motions to compel and open to the public

-- May 16 hearing @ 3:00 pm PT IGG portion (sealed) was vacated and reset for May 30, 2024 @1:30 pm PT

-- May 23 hearing @2:30 pm PT the defense will call a witness to testify. Open to the public/possibly discontinue the live stream if any issues arise

A few new dates.​

State of Idaho v. Bryan C. Kohberger​

Latah County CR29-22-2805

Case Summary (Updated 05/14/24)

Idaho Judicial Cases of Interest

Double check in case any were missed or incorrect ;)

-- May 14 motions to compel is vacated
May 30, 2024 @10:00 am PT. Reset motions to compel and open to the public

-- May 16 hearing @ 3:00 pm PT IGG portion (sealed) was vacated and reset for May 30, 2024 @1:30 pm PT

-- May 23 hearing @2:30 pm PT the defense will call a witness to testify. Open to the public/possibly discontinue the live stream if any issues arise

In both motions to temporarily seal:

Oooooo confidential source for the State!

In both motions to temporarily seal:

Oooooo confidential source for the State!
MOO & unless I’m confused, the verbiage is pretty boilerplate with the standard “and/or” qualifier.

MOO, in contrast to the Defense, the State has been pretty consistent in its use of the boilerplate language precisely not to disclose anything.

MOO, the Defense has been less conscientious precisely to try to make end runs around the gag order it initially fully supported. The chaffing feels clear to me.

I have zero problems with the DNA. His DNA was left on the sheath of the knife that brutally murdered 4 people, who he had no reason to be in contact with.
I was commenting on another post in which someone explained their concerns. I was conceding that I could see how, on that point alone, that someone could take exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rypie15