4-Year-Old Boy Drowns in Wave Pool at California Water Park

I hate those pools. My kids and I got in one recently (and we can all swim well) with some friends and my girlfriend and I spent the entire time struggling to hold onto our kids and get them holding onto giant swim rings until the waves stopped/we could get out. It was like the ocean during a hurricane. I think they must have had it cranked up too high on this particular occasion, lots of people were complaining and struggling to get out. I can't imagine a tiny 4-yo child by himself in one. :::shuddering:::

My sympathy goes out to the family. They can be strong and I'll give my 2 cents. We have season passes to our own Hurricane Harbor (owned by Six Flags) here in the Dallas/FW/Arlington area. Every year I give their life guards in all areas and attractions of that park a 5 Star rating.

In the wave pool they sound a bell when it starts, make an announcement, if you are not a strong swimmer please stay behind the red line or wear a life vest, and the guards are every 10' on each side. When the waves start, they stand up, and if they see anyone remotely having diffculty, they blow the whistle, jump in and immediately stop the waves. My 5 year old goes in and in the deep in with his shrek floatie, but I am hanging on to him, and even though I am a strong swimmer, I cannot touch the ground there and for his sake I wear a life vest.

I wonder how many lifeguards they had and if they were as well trained as these. Wave pools are a danger, my stomach always feels funny after being in it, but getting out to the deep part is the worst, its in that 2-3' water that beats you to death and you really have work to get beyond it. I'm guessing he got beat down in it. Although who knows. Sad.

was 3 weeks ago. We took our boys(6 and 10) to the Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara Falls Canada.
I always thought they looked like so much fun on TV and it was something I had to try...I was shocked at how high and how strong the waves got....

My 6 yr old and I held hands and walked into the pool as they waves began.....they got so high I could not hang on to him and they knocked me right down !! I scraped my chest on the bottom of the pool.

I immediately got out of the water and went to get a life jacket for him.

My husband laughed when he caught up with a us asking why Nicholas was wearing the jacket.....I told him I could not hang on to him and felt he needed it in this pool....

This was our first visit to the Great Wolf and we were very impressed with the life guards and supervision of the pools.

susiebond

This makes no sense at all. A 4 year old should be nowhere near a wave pool! I was in one when I was like 13 and thought I was going to die.
Where were his parents, and where was the life guard (not that I'm blaming them, just curious) and where were the people around this little boy that saw him struggling in there.
2:30 pm a wave pool in that big of a park would be filled with people.
2 feet of water is not the deep end at all. At 3, my son is 3.5 feet tall. Somebody must've seen him.

No. The wave pools can be extermely crowded. The boy could have slipped under easily and not been seen by ther swimmers.

But his parents?

That is so true!
We took my brother, who was 13 at the time to a big park. Slides, the wave pool - the whole get out. This child has never learned to swim, and can't swim - I have tried to teach him (we have a pool). He's turning 16 this year. Only now can he doggie paddle. But anyway - I made him wear a lifejacket. He hated it. Even a lifeguard made fun of him - he was getting off on one of the slides, he had just been in the wave pool, and one of the guards said to him as he passed "don't drown" with this big, goofy grin on his face. Sure, he was making a joke and kidding. But I was PISSED. I went over and ripped him a new one, and then went to a manager. I don't know what happened to the kid, but that was way out of line. Even though my brother was a "big kid" he didn't know how to swim. He was GOING to be in a jacket as far as I was concerned. It was rude. Of course, a four year old is COMPLETELY different...

Is he handicaped?

That is so true!
We took my brother, who was 13 at the time to a big park. Slides, the wave pool - the whole get out. This child has never learned to swim, and can't swim - I have tried to teach him (we have a pool). He's turning 16 this year. Only now can he doggie paddle. But anyway - I made him wear a lifejacket. He hated it. Even a lifeguard made fun of him - he was getting off on one of the slides, he had just been in the wave pool, and one of the guards said to him as he passed "don't drown" with this big, goofy grin on his face. Sure, he was making a joke and kidding. But I was PISSED. I went over and ripped him a new one, and then went to a manager. I don't know what happened to the kid, but that was way out of line. Even though my brother was a "big kid" he didn't know how to swim. He was GOING to be in a jacket as far as I was concerned. It was rude. Of course, a four year old is COMPLETELY different...

Is he handicapped?

What a terrible tragedy - one that really hits home with me! I cannot fault the child's cartetakers based on the little information we have.

My family and I have season passes to a big water park here in Marietta. At the beginning of the summer, I took my 4 and 6 year old sons one day. DH couldn't make it. My 6-year-old is a strong swimmer, but my 4-year-old is not quite there yet. We all know the park well and were having a great time.

Both kids wanted to go in the enormous wave pool, which I don't particulary enjoy - it's always just so crowded and chaotic. When we got there, I was getting my 4-year-old into a swim vest and my 6-year-old said, "Mom, I'm going in the pool." I said, "Wait a second" but by the time I got to the pool - which truly couldn't have been more than 60/90 seconds later - I couldn't find my older son anywhere.

Then they blew the whistle and the waves started. I wasn't feaked because that's not my nature, but I really did want to lay eyes on my older son. So I'm in shallowish water, holding hands with my 4-year-old and looking everywhere around this huge crowded undulating pool for my 6-year-old. Couldn't find him anywhere and was planning the conversation we would be having when the waves stopped.

All the sudden, I see the lifeguards pointing in the deepend and doing their dance. Whistles were blown, the waves were stopped abruptly and everyone was cleared from the pool to the shallow end and shore.

All of the sudden, I peer across the pool and see a lifeguard in the deepend with her little float and who do you think is swimming back across the pool with her....my 6-year-old! I could see that he was in no active distress and I went out as far as I could with my 4-year-old and claimed him, thanked the lifeguard, etc....

I said, "Seamus - what happened? Did you get in trouble out there - were you struggling?" and he said "No, Mom, I was just floating." I said, "How were you floating?" and, yep, you guessed it - he was doing what we as kids used to call the 'dead man's float' in the 10-foot deep section of the wave pool while the waves were going full force! :eek: :eek: Very nice.

In a regular pool, he is allowed to go in the deep end and he just didn't think this was any different. As you can imagine, we had a nice long talk about it, and now we'll only do the wave pool if my husband and I can cover a man-on-man defense with the kids.

I was impressed with how on-the-ball the lifeguards were and am of course deeply grateful that my story is a comedy and not a tragedy.

Latest info, but I don't have articles handy... is that the mother was not even in the water! She was lying poolside and lost sight of him, had let him go in the wave pool for 2 hours with only his 8-year-old sister and no lifejacket, yet is trying to pin it on Great America not having enough lifeguards!:doh: Pulease!!!

IMO there should be minimum age restrictions on wave pools as well as the floatation device requirements and ability to swim!

Latest info, but I don't have articles handy... is that the mother was not even in the water! She was lying poolside and lost sight of him, had let him go in the wave pool for 2 hours with only his 8-year-old sister and no lifejacket, yet is trying to pin it on Great America not having enough lifeguards! ....

Wow - that's ridiculous....can't imagine a jury in the world buying into that scenario.

I said, "Seamus - what happened? Did you get in trouble out there - were you struggling?" and he said "No, Mom, I was just floating." I said, "How were you floating?" and, yep, you guessed it - he was doing what we as kids used to call the 'dead man's float' in the 10-foot deep section of the wave pool while the waves were going full force! :eek: :eek: Very nice.

SCM - OMG! I hate when my kids do that. They love it! I guess I did too, and now I know why it drove my mom bonkers as well. UGH! I'm so glad it turned out okay, but you and the lifeguards must have been ready to blow a gasket.

Latest info, but I don't have articles handy... is that the mother was not even in the water! She was lying poolside and lost sight of him, had let him go in the wave pool for 2 hours with only his 8-year-old sister and no lifejacket, yet is trying to pin it on Great America not having enough lifeguards!:doh: Pulease!!!

IMO there should be minimum age restrictions on wave pools as well as the floatation device requirements and ability to swim!

This is awful. This poor little boy deserved better than this. I would have felt for the mom if it had truly been an accident like what happened with SCM and he had gotten away from her for a moment, or slipped out of her grasp in the water.

In fact, the park here that SCM was talking about they have life vests all over the place for you to borrow at no extra charge, and signs encouraging you to put them on young children and weaker swimmers everywhere. Many rides (Little Hooch River - lazy river ride - for example) require them on kids under a certain age. I would guess the wave ride does as well, although I don't like that one so I can't say for sure.

This woman may be threatening to sue, but I doubt it will go anywhere. Even an ambulance chasing personal injury lawyer can see that a 4yo shouldn't have been unattended in this pool (an 8yo does NOT count as a babysitter!) and there are signs to that effect everywhere. A jury will hate this woman. She'll be lucky if she's not charged.

You want my wild guess??? They weren't!!
Most likely they were assuming the lifeguard would be watching.
Typical.

I am amazed at how many parents think that when they go to a Theme park.
Like they all of a sudden think its ok to let their kids run free.

Truth be told the waves on those pools can be high but nowhere like the real thing in the ocean.

Thank you!! I lifeguarded for 4 years for the county in southern florida...I can't tell you the instances of neglect I've seen. I watched as a 4 year old started to drown directly BEHIND their parent. The parent never turned around until I was within arms reach of the child. Every day there was something horrible. I still have nightmares about some rescues. Parents always assume "it's the lifeguard's job". Somedays, you can watch every child and figure out their "patterns" (meaning..if they like to stay under water a while, how they're playing, where their parents are). As a lifeguard, I did all of this. I watched like a hawk..but then there are some days where there are HUNDREDS of people. So many people you can't see through the water. So many that we would "body check" the bottom by walking through in a line with arms clasped several times a day. Lifeguards are the LAST line of defense...not the first. Thanks for knowing that..please tell ALL parents to never be out of ARMS REACH in the water. NEVER! It happens in seconds. (BTW...if you want to know my honest opinion, I would never go to any public facility that is not licesnced by Jeff Ellis and Associates. There are several different "certifications" - I would never recomend Red Cross or any of those affiliatons...they are outdated) Check out Ellis & Associates. These are the BEST lifeguards, imo. (obviously, I was a certified by them but am no longer a lifeguard) As far as the "dead man's float", a lifeguard should have been all over that like stink on . "When in doubt, pull them out." I'd drag kids out that were doing that after a warning, kicking and screaming. Screw fun - it's about safety. You wouldn't believe the parents reactions either. One warning, then you're out! I still panic when I see it..I never allowed it on my watch. After I had a kid (maybe 8) scream obsenities at me after I went to "rescue" him while he was doing the DMF, I lost it.

SCM - OMG! I hate when my kids do that. They love it! I guess I did too, and now I know why it drove my mom bonkers as well. UGH! I'm so glad it turned out okay, but you and the lifeguards must have been ready to blow a gasket.

This is awful. This poor little boy deserved better than this. I would have felt for the mom if it had truly been an accident like what happened with SCM and he had gotten away from her for a moment, or slipped out of her grasp in the water.

In fact, the park here that SCM was talking about they have life vests all over the place for you to borrow at no extra charge, and signs encouraging you to put them on young children and weaker swimmers everywhere. Many rides (Little Hooch River - lazy river ride - for example) require them on kids under a certain age. I would guess the wave ride does as well, although I don't like that one so I can't say for sure.

This woman may be threatening to sue, but I doubt it will go anywhere. Even an ambulance chasing personal injury lawyer can see that a 4yo shouldn't have been unattended in this pool (an 8yo does NOT count as a babysitter!) and there are signs to that effect everywhere. A jury will hate this woman. She'll be lucky if she's not charged.

Do you happen to know how the facility was certified? In the case of Ellis & Associates - that parent won't win. Ellis does audits on every lifeguard, unseen and unknown by the facility. There are vaults with tapes of every one of us. Why, you ask? Almost 99% of drowning victim's families sue the lifeguard. Each lifeguard has $100,000 of legal insurance through Ellis and Associates. Those tapes prove that the lifeguard is a good lifeguard, year after year. The amount of in-service training is intense. Constantly training. If that parent wasn't anywhere around...good luck. SHE should be prosecuted for neglect! I wish the guard had saved the kid in time - that guard won't ever, ever forgive themselves. EVER!

I can not belive what this boys Mom is thinking. She is now claiming there were only 4 lifeguards on duty. Where the records show there were 6. And Linask is correct the woman is talking about a lawsiut. Also according to some eyewitnesses the mother was on the shore and was talking with some friends not even watching her child.
I was a guard all through H.S.at a pool. But I can not tell you how many people feel it is the guards job to babysit their child.

Truthful Lies... thanks for your post:)

As a child we were not permitted to scream outrageously and to yell the word "help" in play when no help was really needed was grounds for spending the day out of the water.

Water safety was a serious issue and we were not permitted to take it lightly.
I guess that is why I find it shocking that so many people do.

Truth be told my husband for years tried to imply that I was overly cautious with the children near water. Living in Florida where many shark attacks happen there are some special rules to follow... Like never swim in water you can't see clear to the bottom...
He changed his tune when his friend (a long time surfer in Daytona) told him that in fact I was correct and not overly cautious at all.

My son Peter is a World Class surfer and has surfed every major wave machine in the world. He and Kelly Slater, Rob Machado took an entire year to do it.
Norway, Australia, Saudi, Japan etc. Son surfs for Hurley, do does Rob Machado. All of them are excellent big wave swimmers, all them have surfed for years.

A wave machine is quite different than a wave pool. It has a sheet of water about 2" thick so there is really no way you could drown. Here at Mission Beach, (San Diego) they do not let anyone use it under a certain age.

My son think's that wave pool's are extremely dangerous for small children.
I just talked to him on the phone and he said those pool's in theme parks
are the worst. He also said, they let too many people in at the same time and nobody is watching anyone and there already have been a number of people drowned already !
His last remark was he think's they should all be closed!

I feel so horrible about this little guy drowning. He should never ever have been allowed to even use the wave pool!

Here's a photo of the Wave Machine here in San Diego.. This is my son.
He was 40 yrs. old yesterday.

Here is son and my grandson.

xxxxxxxxxoooooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

What a terrible tragedy - one that really hits home with me...

Wow, was that frightening, scm! I am so sorry. (I was scared just reading it.)

"Dead man's float" is problematic, obviously, due to concrete banks and the concerns of lifeguards. But from a purely swimming point of view, your kid's instinct wasn't such a bad one in terms of dealing with large waves!

Truthful Lies... thanks for your post:)

As a child we were not permitted to scream outrageously and to yell the word "help" in play when no help was really needed was grounds for spending the day out of the water.

Water safety was a serious issue and we were not permitted to take it lightly.
I guess that is why I find it shocking that so many people do.

Truth be told my husband for years tried to imply that I was overly cautious with the children near water. Living in Florida where many shark attacks happen there are some special rules to follow... Like never swim in water you can't see clear to the bottom...
He changed his tune when his friend (a long time surfer in Daytona) told him that in fact I was correct and not overly cautious at all.

When did you live in Fort Lauderdale? Did we grow up together?

When did you live in Fort Lauderdale? Did we grow up together?

I live in Ft Lauderdale when I was 11 years old LOL
So 1982 ... and briefly in my early 20's before I moved to South Beach.

I think I have read that your children are older then I am:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back