4 Yr. Old Kept From Pre-K Because Of Pink Hair

Hardly abusive, I agree. If the school doesn't allow it, then so be it. Maybe she can use the washable stuff on the weekends. I wonder, does it actually say in the student handbook "No artificially colored hair"?

I agree that it is a silly rule. Her having pink hair is not creating a disturbance or disrupting anyones education. My son wore a mohawk during first grade, that was his choice and if I didn't have a problem with it, I do not think that the school should have anything to say about it. My junior year in school they announced that afro's,dreadlocks, and cornrows were no longer allowed. About 100 kids walked out of school that day. I do not think that everone should conform to meet standards set by the school system. Kids should be allowed to express themselves. I would hate to have a cookie-cutter society, it would be very boring.

Mr. E said:
Hardly abusive, I agree. If the school doesn't allow it, then so be it. Maybe she can use the washable stuff on the weekends. I wonder, does it actually say in the student handbook "No artificially colored hair"?
I wonder too..maybe it is an arbitrary rule and that is why he is annoyed. At the same time, it sounds like it is a private type Pre-k and they have every right to make whatever rules they like, because she can always go somewhere that does allow it.
Again, I couldn't care less about pink hair, but if it isn't allowed it isn't allowed. The little girl is the only losing here, she is the one missing school.

I like the washable on the weekends idea. Perfect compromise until they can get the rule changed.

JBean said:
Heehee I have seen some pretty nasty hair color jobs in my day that should be banned from somewhere..lol.
Would you dye your little girls hair pink for school randomly? Don't you think it is odd that he did?
Both my 4-year-old boys went through lengthy stages when they thought they were batman and wanted to wear capes constantly - or to wear their batman costume constantly. The pink hair sounds similar - just the whim of an ever-changing toddler. I find my kids' flights of fancy fascintaing. I don't think it's so odd that her father indulged her. These things usually pass fairly quickly.

My 6-year-old recently wore a lightning bolt sticker on his forehead every day for a week - a nod to his latest interest which is Harry Potter. His teachers could have cared less and he's stopped doing it now. It didn't last long.

Obviously a private school can do what it wants, but this one acted a bit extremely IMO. If they had an issue with the color of her hair, seems they could have asked her father just to let it grow out and not have it redone. That gives the father time to explain - new rule - no more pink hair allowed at school so we won't be dying it again. This seems a better way to handle it than suspending her.

southcitymom said:
Both my 4-year-old boys went through lengthy stages when they thought they were batman and wanted to wear capes constantly - or to wear their batman costume constantly. The pink hair sounds similar - just the whim of an ever-changing toddler. I find my kids' flights of fancy fascintaing. I don't think it's so odd that her father indulged her. These things usually pass fairly quickly.

My 6-year-old recently wore a lightning bolt sticker on his forehead every day for a week - a nod to his latest interest which is Harry Potter. His teachers could have cared less and he's stopped doing it now. It didn't last long.

Obviously a private school can do what it wants, but this one acted a bit extremely IMO. If they had an issue with the color of her hair, seems they could have asked her father just to let it grow out and not have it redone. That gives the father time to explain - new rule - no more pink hair allowed at school so we won't be dying it again. This seems a better way to handle it than suspending her.
They sent him a letter and he says he didn;t get it. So in their mind he is blowing them off. He probably is. I think from the schools POV they sent him a letter and he had her hair repinked!
I don;t know why there wasn't a converstaionm between october and now? That seems silly. but then again, maybe they did tell him over and over and he said that's abusive.

My boys wanted to wear capes back in the day, but they were not allowed to. So they could wear them at home but not at school.

JBean said:
They sent him a letter and he says he didn;t get it. So in their mind he is blowing them off. He probably is. I think from the schools POV they sent him a letter and he had her hair repinked!
I don;t know why there wasn't a converstaionm between october and now? That seems silly. but then again, maybe they did tell him over and over and he said that's abusive.

My boys wanted to wear capes back in the day, but they were not allowed to. So they could wear them at home but not at school.
I wouldn't let my boys wear the capes at school either - from a safety standpoint.

I didn't know he had gotten a letter, but they should have talked to him. I see my kids' teachers every day when I drop them off and the administrators are always around - if there are any issues, I know about them right away.

Obviously, if he knew about the school's position, he should have respected it. I believe parents and schools have to show a united front when it comes to teaching kids to respect rules!

southcitymom said:
I wouldn't let my boys wear the capes at school either - from a safety standpoint.

I didn't know he had gotten a letter, but they should have talked to him. I see my kids' teachers every day when I drop them off and the administrators are always around - if there are any issues, I know about them right away.

Obviously, if he knew about the school's position, he should have respected it. I believe parents and schools have to show a united front when it comes to teaching kids to respect rules!
agreed. I mean this has been going on since October!
My guess is they have told him repeatedly and he is just kept ignoring them and then when he had it repinked they were really mad!
But that is my guess of course.

Who knows!?

JBean said:
agreed. I mean this has been going on since October!
My guess is they have told him repeatedly and he is just kept ignoring them and then when he had it repinked they were really mad!
But that is my guess of course.

Who knows!?
If that's what the father has done, it's not cool - it only harms his daughter - in more ways than one.

southcitymom said:
If that's what the father has done, it's not cool - it only harms his daughter - in more ways than one.
This guy has misplaced priorities IMO. More info below
But I should also add..her hair isn;t that bad. That is neither here nor there, but thought I'd throw it in.

>>Natalyn's school, Dalton Early Childhood Center sent letters home, asking her parents to change her hair back to normal. Ricardo withdrew Natalyn from the school, then changed his mind, and tried to enroll her again.

"Bottom line, they said they couldn't enroll the child because she has pink hair," says Ricardo. For now, Ricardo is keeping Natalyn at home. He said the Dalton Early Childhood Center is the only option, because all the other schools in the area are private, and he can't afford them. He told News 4 he'll get a lawyer if he has to.<<
Now THAT'S ridiculous, IMO.

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=828bf28c-88dc-4949-acfa-9056927ba287

JBean said:
She originally had it dyed back in October and then repinked it over Christmas.
I don't know, I think teaching this girl to go to school with pink hair is a bit of an odd move on the part of the father.
Our school has dress and hair codes and so I respect that.
I think it is silly that a father would have his kindergarten aged daughter wear pink hair.
I let my kids do all kinds of goofy stuff with their hair, during the summer. but I thought they needed to be more respectful and less distracting during the school year. Once they were 18 they could do whatever they wanted.
--agree JBean. I'm with the school on this one--The school says no and the parents need to respect that and tell and teach their little 4 yr old daughter accordingly---High School should be a little more lenient as some teenagers are not always comfortable with comformity

Peter Hamilton said:
--agree JBean. I'm with the school on this one--The school says no and the parents need to respect that and tell and teach their little 4 yr old daughter accordingly---High School should be a little more lenient as some teenagers are not always comfortable with comformity
Exactly. Whether we agree or not, little ones need to follow the rules. If the rules are nonsense this will be a good catalyst to have them changed.

JBean said:
This guy has misplaced priorities IMO. More info below
But I should also add..her hair isn;t that bad. That is neither here nor there, but thought I'd throw it in.

>>Natalyn's school, Dalton Early Childhood Center sent letters home, asking her parents to change her hair back to normal. Ricardo withdrew Natalyn from the school, then changed his mind, and tried to enroll her again.

"Bottom line, they said they couldn't enroll the child because she has pink hair," says Ricardo. For now, Ricardo is keeping Natalyn at home. He said the Dalton Early Childhood Center is the only option, because all the other schools in the area are private, and he can't afford them. He told News 4 he'll get a lawyer if he has to.<<
Now THAT'S ridiculous, IMO.

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=828bf28c-88dc-4949-acfa-9056927ba287
Yes, her hair is not a big deal. The point is this man is playing games with his 4-year-old as a pawn and that's WRONG. If I were the school I wouldn't want to deal with him any more either. And private schools are lucky that way - they can pick and choose who they have to deal with.

He's teaching his 4-year-old some terrible lessons. It sounds like this stopped being about the pink hair long ago.

southcitymom said:
Yes, her hair is not a big deal. The point is this man is playing games with his 4-year-old as a pawn and that's WRONG. If I were the school I wouldn't want to deal with him any more either. And private schools are lucky that way - they can pick and choose who they have to deal with.

He's teaching his 4-year-old some terrible lessons. It sounds like this stopped being about the pink hair long ago.
They do imply it is a public school. I will have to look it up. But either which way, i think you are correct. This is a great time for him to teach her it's not her pink hair that makes her special.

Of course this happened in Texas. I imagine the school is the Federal Headstart Program, which is the same type program where the little 4 year old was charged with sexual misconduct. I can't find my rule book to look up hairstyles. All I know is, the schools regularly violate federal and state laws and that is just fine. The Headstart where one of mine attends regulary has me sign forms getting them reinbursed for my mileage to the school to do volunteer work. The problem is, I don't do any sort of volunteer work there. No one can do anything, but we have to follow all sorts of oppressive rules which are beginning to seem like a form of Communism to me. People need to fight and demand that they have more say with their own children.

Now that is absurd, He is just trying to use his daughter for a little money. That is pitiful. He is hurting her by not being with her friends and lack of education before school. That is sad!

As Red Foreman says " It's about the rules. And without the rules we might as well all be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other, like monkeys!" Sorry I couldnt resist :innocent:

txsvicki said:
Of course this happened in Texas. I imagine the school is the Federal Headstart Program, which is the same type program where the little 4 year old was charged with sexual misconduct. I can't find my rule book to look up hairstyles. All I know is, the schools regularly violate federal and state laws and that is just fine. The Headstart where one of mine attends regulary has me sign forms getting them reinbursed for my mileage to the school to do volunteer work. The problem is, I don't do any sort of volunteer work there. No one can do anything, but we have to follow all sorts of oppressive rules which are beginning to seem like a form of Communism to me. People need to fight and demand that they have more say with their own children.
But would you really fight for pink hair? I hear what you are saying and I think there are many changes to be made. But I just don't think this is one of them.

I think the reporter said the school handbook read "no extreme hair" The operative word being extreme. It is entirely subjective.
But as a mother, I would not send my kid to school with pink hair. It's fun and cute and all that but more for playtime IMO and weekends. I wouldn;t send her to church in ripped jeans and they are harmless. It's just about what is or isn't appropriate to me.
But then I wouldn't have colored my little ones hair at all. Except in washable temporary colors for fun.

Autumn2004 said:
Now that is absurd, He is just trying to use his daughter for a little money. That is pitiful. He is hurting her by not being with her friends and lack of education before school. That is sad!

As Red Foreman says " It's about the rules. And without the rules we might as well all be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other, like monkeys!" Sorry I couldnt resist :innocent:
well sure. What is she gaining by sitting at home? For him to say the pink hair is bolstering her confidence and making her a better person is kind of another weird message.
I think it would be a good time for her to come to know she doesn't need pink hair to have good self esteem.

JBean said:
But would you really fight for pink hair? I hear what you are saying and I think there are many changes to be made. But I just don't think this is one of them.

I think the reporter said the school handbook read "no extreme hair" The operative word being extreme. It is entirely subjective.
But as a mother, I would not send my kid to school with pink hair. It's fun and cute and all that but more for playtime IMO and weekends. I wouldn;t send her to church in ripped jeans and they are harmless. It's just about what is or isn't appropriate to me.
But then I wouldn't have colored my little ones hair at all. Except in washable temporary colors for fun.

Well, a Native American fought as far as he could some years back to wear his hair long but he lost. Now, I see boys with hair down to their shoulders in high school. The pic of the little girl in natural sunlight shows reddish bangs only, her hair is not pink or even reddish all over. I don't see that as being extreme in any way at all, but I'd rather have my child in school. I'd probably dye my hair the brightest pink there is and then continue to pick her up every day, early, volunteer to help out, etc. I think people as a group should fight silly or oppressive rules that are taking our freedoms away.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back