$5,000 Reward Offered In Unsolved Case Of Slain Durham Mother

LTUlegal said:
Regarding the automotive repairs...was this something as simple as an oil change? Pretty much anywhere, you'll find a place open all week, but I know that in my town, finding a repair shop that works on the weekend is next to impossible without paying through the nose.
I can see that but if that were the case, then why not drop it off on a Sunday evening (lots of places have drop boxes for the keys) to be started on Monday and then pick it up when it's finished later in the week. What was so urgent that it had to go into the shop on the same day as work and hometeachers and soccer? It just seems so inconvenient and almost forced to bring the car into the shop on a day that was already so busy. Where did dinner and playtime and bath and bedtime fit into all of this?

IMO, it all comes down to the timeline. There's a reason why all of these activities were crammed into one day and I believe it has to do with the timeline.

JerseyGirl said:
I can see that but if that were the case, then why not drop it off on a Sunday evening (lots of places have drop boxes for the keys) to be started on Monday and then pick it up when it's finished later in the week. What was so urgent that it had to go into the shop on the same day as work and hometeachers and soccer? It just seems so inconvenient and almost forced to bring the car into the shop on a day that was already so busy. Where did dinner and playtime and bath and bedtime fit into all of this?

IMO, it all comes down to the timeline. There's a reason why all of these activities were crammed into one day and I believe it has to do with the timeline.
Well he did say the day before he had changes coming up in his life, guess he decided to move quickly.

I think because he stayed up online on his laptop all night long, he probably needed his sleep during the day, you can't sleep with a baby in the house to take care of, of course, he probably need to rest up for his "soccer game" too.

If you look at Raven's online activities they are were usually posted very very late at night.

1st...............i'm thrilled to see a reward offered in janet's case---------and more importantly---that the crime has been brought back to the spotlight.

..her car.........good points again jersey.........why on earth would they take it in on a tuesday ? SHE was working, and therefore needed it the rest of the week.....was it an unexpected repair that had to be done immediatly ? a simple oil change/maintenance? surely that could have waited ------------of course the service station wil have records and can inform LE...

..as i recall, "way back when", a poster asked what difference it would have made if janet did or did not have access to her vehicle that night-------i would say now, a huge difference--------------raven is acting crazed, and she knows she can't grab kaiden and her keys and get out---------------so she tries to reason with him------------but he's bigger/stronger............and he has a knife.....

..well raven, ummm, i mean "the crazed lunatic that did NOT break in to your house, had NO reason to harm janet, but DID in fact stab her to death anyway"-------------when you ( allegedly ) kissed kaiden goodnight, again--then found your wife slain-------did you remember to grab him and bring him out of the house and out of harm's way ?"or not ?

I am looking forward to see if and how much Raven and his family will raise to catch this crazed killer on the loose...Wait, wouldn't that be paying some one to rat out Raven?

BirdHunter said:
I am looking forward to see if and how much Raven and his family will raise to catch this crazed killer on the loose...Wait, wouldn't that be paying some one to rat out Raven?
I hope you're not holding your breath on that one, cuz I think you'd turn blue, waiting. :eek:

BirdHunter said:
I am looking forward to see if and how much Raven and his family will raise to catch this crazed killer on the loose
Exactly! Where is raven and his family in speaking out for help to find this horrific person? I'm sure they can't bear the thought of having to put any of their own money in to raise the reward...we can beg for it but we sure ain't going to give any away!!

terminatrixator said:
I think because he stayed up online on his laptop all night long, he probably needed his sleep during the day, you can't sleep with a baby in the house to take care of, of course, he probably need to rest up for his "soccer game" too.
But let's remember ... if he was in a manic phase, he wouldn't have needed much sleep.

lauriej said:
when you ( allegedly ) kissed kaiden goodnight, again--then found your wife slain-------did you remember to grab him and bring him out of the house and out of harm's way ?"or not ?
Very good question ... the only thing that I remember hearing about that issue is that Kaiden was crying in the background of the 911 call, and the 911 operator told Raven to go get him. If that's true then apparently Raven did all of this running around and called 911 without ever thinking to grab Kaiden and get him out of the house. (Maybe that's understandable if Raven believed that Janet was "just" hurt - he wanted to help her and wasn't thinking clearly. But I guess that comes down to which version of Raven's story one believes ... if we believe the version in which he knew she was dead, then I would be inclined to believe that instinct would have said to grab the baby and run like hell.)

Anyway, as I've mentioned in the past, if Kaiden was in his room crying, what was it that woke him up? He had been asleep only moments before when Raven came home and kissed him goodnight. I guess it could have been that male scream that one of the neighbors reported hearing or it could also have been the noises of a life or death struggle.

BirdHunter said:
Imagine how much reward money there could be if Raven had put even half of his fun money towards it. How much does a week at the Moab bike festival cost, I wonder?

Funny, he says that he's hoping that the reward money (if not someone's conscience ... what a sociopath), will help to bring some clues and that he doesn't know what it'll take - as if he's been running himself ragged trying to keep this case moving. As Moxie pointed out, let everyone reading know this - Raven did not raise that money, contribute to that money, or have any part in getting that reward money for Janet's case. In fact, he was probably as surprised as many of us when the reward was announced.

Yep, very good. He's a Psychopath.

A psychopath can have high verbal intelligence, but they typically lack "emotional intelligence". They can be expert in manipulating others by playing to their emotions. There is a shallow quality to the emotional aspect of their stories (i.e., how they felt, why they felt that way, or how others may have felt and why). The lack of emotional intelligence is the first good sign you may be dealing with a psychopath. A history of criminal behavior in which they do not seem to learn from their experience, but merely think about ways to not get caught is the second best sign.

The following is a list of items based on the research of Robert Hare, Ph.D. which is derived from the "The Hare Psychopathy Checklist-Revised, .1991, Toronto: Multi-Health Systems." These are the most highly researched and recognized characteristics of psychopathic personality and behavior.

• glibness/superficial charm
  • grandiose sense of self worth
  • need for stimulation/prone to boredom
  • pathological lying
  • conning/manipulative
  • lack of remorse or guilt
  • shallow emotional response
  • callous/lack of empathy
  • parasitic lifestyle
  • poor behavioral controls
  • promiscuous sexual behavior
  • early behavioral problems
  • lack of realistic long term goals
  • impulsivity
  • irresponsibility
  • failure to accept responsibility for their own actions
  • many short term relationships
  • juvenile delinquency
  • revocation of conditional release
  • criminal versatility
There is no actual diagnosis of Psychopathy in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), but it is a highly studied area. A psychopath is not the same as an antisocial personality. Antisocial personalities may or may not be psychopathic. The antisocial personality is primarily a problem involving a failure to respect the right of individuals, the law and rules of society. Psychopathy involves poor emotional intelligence, the lack of conscience, and an inability to feel attached to people except in terms of their value as a source of stimulation or new possessions. There are many expressions and forms of psychopathy. For instance, a sexual psychopath is one form of a psychopath.

There is a significant amount of evidence to suggest that:

• [*]there may be a genetic influence that creates a psychopathic personality

• [*]adult psychopaths do not benefit from traditional counseling therapy and may in fact offend again and sooner because of it

• [*]the brain of a psychopath may function and process information differently from those of non-psychopaths

• [*]less intelligent psychopaths end up in prisons (highly intelligent psychopaths can run companies)

• [*]psychopathic behavior may have once had a strong genetic "survival of the species" value
psychopathic personalities are much more common than most of us realize

terminatrixator said:
- parasitic lifestyle
Wow, extremely enlightening, Terminatrixator. So according to that source, what would be the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath?

In the News and Observer this past Saturday, there was a display ad, of sorts, placed by Durham CrimeStoppers - giving an update on CrimeStopper activities for 2005 (I can't seem to find it online, and maybe since it's an ad format it's not there?....so I'm posting the text from the actual hard copy I have).

DURHAM CRIMESTOPPERS
919-683-1200

The Durham CrimeStoppers program ended a successful run in 2005, according to the Durham Police Department. Tips from citizens helped police reel in suspects in homicides, rapes, car thefts and assaults, among others, and also aided in the capture of sought-after fugitives.

You, the people

helped solve these Durham crimes:

13 homicides
17 felonious larcenies/thefts
2 rapes
2 auto thefts
7 armed robberies
7 drug cases
14 aggravated assaults
5 forgeries
4 burglaries
109 fugitives captured

These numbers don't lie - CrimeStoppers DOES work - and it works because people can call ANONYMOUSLY and provide information - and it works because often people often have information that might SEEM insignificant, but in reality could be a piece of a larger puzzle! Rewards are offered for information as well.

So if anyone has ANY information regarding Raven, Janet, the night of the murder, the days before and after the murder even, please, call Durham CrimeStoppers at 919-683-1200.

JerseyGirl said:
Wow, extremely enlightening, Terminatrixator. So according to that source, what would be the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath?
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Sans Serif]Sociopathy is chiefly characterized by something wrong with the person's conscience. They either don't have one, it's full of holes like Swiss cheese, or they are somehow able to completely neutralize or negate any sense of conscience or future time perspective. Sociopaths only care about fulfilling their own needs and desires - selfishness and egocentricity to the extreme. Everything and everybody else is mentally twisted around in their minds as objects to be used in fulfilling their own needs and desires. They often believe they are doing something good for society, or at least nothing that bad. The term "sociopath" is frequently used by psychologists and sociologists alike in referring to persons whose unsocialized character is due primarily to parental failures (usually fatherlessness) rather than inherent features of temperament. However, this may only describe the "common sociopath", as there are at least four (4) different subtypes -- common, alienated, aggressive, and dyssocial. Commons are characterized mostly by their lack of conscience; the alienated by their inability to love or be loved; aggressives by a consistent sadistic streak; and dyssocials by an ability to abide by gang rules, as long as those rules are the wrong rules. Some common sociopathic traits include:[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Sans Serif] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Sans Serif] Egocentricity; Callousness; Impulsivity; Conscience defect; Exaggerated sexuality; Excessive boasting; Risk taking; Inability to resist temptation; Antagonistic, deprecating attitude toward the opposite sex; Lack of interest in bonding with a mate [/font]​
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Sans Serif] Psychopathy is a concept subject to much debate, but is usually defined as a constellation of affective, interpersonal, and behavioral characteristics including egocentricity; impulsivity; irresponsibility; shallow emotions; lack of empathy, guilt, or remorse; pathological lying; manipulativeness; and the persistent violation of social norms and expectations (Cleckley 1976; Hare 1993). The crimes of psychopaths are usually stone-cold, remorseless killings for no apparent reason. They cold-bloodedly take what they want and do as they please without the slightest sense of guilt or regret. In many ways, they are natural-born intraspecies predators who satisfy their lust for power and control by charm, manipulation, intimidation, and violence. While almost all societies would regard them as criminals (the exception being frontier or warlike societies where they might become heroes, patriots, or leaders), it's important to distinguish their behavior from criminal behavior. As Prof. Hare is fond of pointing out, most psychopaths are antisocial but not all antisocial personalities are psychopaths. This is because APD is defined mainly by behaviors (Factor 2 antisocial behaviors) and doesn't tap the affective/interpersonal dimensions (Factor 1 core psychopathic features, narcissism) of psychopathy. Further, criminals and APDs tend to "age out" of crime; psychopaths do not, and are at high risk of recidivism. Psychopaths love to intellectualize in treatment with their half-baked understanding of rules. Like the Star Trek character, Spock, their reasoning cannot handle any mix of cognition and emotion. They are calculating predators who, when trapped, will attempt escape, create a nuisance and danger to staff, be a disruptive influence on other patients or inmates, and fake symptoms to get transferred, bouncing back and forth between institutions. The common features of psychopathic traits (the PCL-R items) are:[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Sans Serif] [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Sans Serif] Glib and superficial charm; Grandiose sense of self-worth; Need for stimulation; Pathological lying; Conning and manipulativeness; Lack of remorse or guilt; Shallow affect; Callousness and lack of empathy; Parasitic lifestyle; Poor behavioral controls; Promiscuous sexual behavior; Early behavior problems; Lack of realistic, long-term goals; Impulsivity; Irresponsibility; Failure to accept responsibility for own actions; Many short-term marital relationships; Juvenile delinquency; Revocation of conditional release; Criminal versatility[/font]​
http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/narcissism/antisocial_sociopath_psychopath.html

SouthEastSleuth said:
In the News and Observer this past Saturday, there was a display ad, of sorts, placed by Durham CrimeStoppers - giving an update on CrimeStopper activities for 2005 (I can't seem to find it online, and maybe since it's an ad format it's not there?....so I'm posting the text from the actual hard copy I have).

DURHAM CRIMESTOPPERS
919-683-1200

The Durham CrimeStoppers program ended a successful run in 2005, according to the Durham Police Department. Tips from citizens helped police reel in suspects in homicides, rapes, car thefts and assaults, among others, and also aided in the capture of sought-after fugitives.

You, the people

helped solve these Durham crimes:

13 homicides
17 felonious larcenies/thefts
2 rapes
2 auto thefts
7 armed robberies
7 drug cases
14 aggravated assaults
5 forgeries
4 burglaries
109 fugitives captured

These numbers don't lie - CrimeStoppers DOES work - and it works because people can call ANONYMOUSLY and provide information - and it works because often people often have information that might SEEM insignificant, but in reality could be a piece of a larger puzzle! Rewards are offered for information as well.

So if anyone has ANY information regarding Raven, Janet, the night of the murder, the days before and after the murder even, please, call Durham CrimeStoppers at 919-683-1200.
Thank you for posting the info. from the newspaper SES. And you are right if a lot of people call in with little bits of information, the puzzle can be pieced together!

If you have heard anything regarding Janet Marie Christiansen Abaroa's Murder, any inconsistent statements, anything that seems off, please contact Durham CrimeStoppers at 919-683-1200.

All calls remain anonymous, you do not have to give any personal information about yourself.

terminatrixator said:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Sans Serif]Sociopathy is chiefly characterized by something wrong with the person's conscience. They either don't have one, it's full of holes like Swiss cheese, or they are somehow able to completely neutralize or negate any sense of conscience or future time perspective. Sociopaths only care about fulfilling their own needs and desires - selfishness and egocentricity to the extreme. Everything and everybody else is mentally twisted around in their minds as objects to be used in fulfilling their own needs and desires. They often believe they are doing something good for society, or at least nothing that bad. The term "sociopath" is frequently used by psychologists and sociologists alike in referring to persons whose unsocialized character is due primarily to parental failures (usually fatherlessness) rather than inherent features of temperament. However, this may only describe the "common sociopath", as there are at least four (4) different subtypes -- common, alienated, aggressive, and dyssocial. Commons are characterized mostly by their lack of conscience; the alienated by their inability to love or be loved; aggressives by a consistent sadistic streak; and dyssocials by an ability to abide by gang rules, as long as those rules are the wrong rules. Some common sociopathic traits include:[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Sans Serif]Egocentricity; Callousness; Impulsivity; Conscience defect; Exaggerated sexuality; Excessive boasting; Risk taking; Inability to resist temptation; Antagonistic, deprecating attitude toward the opposite sex; Lack of interest in bonding with a mate [/font]​

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Sans Serif]Psychopathy is a concept subject to much debate, but is usually defined as a constellation of affective, interpersonal, and behavioral characteristics including egocentricity; impulsivity; irresponsibility; shallow emotions; lack of empathy, guilt, or remorse; pathological lying; manipulativeness; and the persistent violation of social norms and expectations (Cleckley 1976; Hare 1993). The crimes of psychopaths are usually stone-cold, remorseless killings for no apparent reason. They cold-bloodedly take what they want and do as they please without the slightest sense of guilt or regret. In many ways, they are natural-born intraspecies predators who satisfy their lust for power and control by charm, manipulation, intimidation, and violence. While almost all societies would regard them as criminals (the exception being frontier or warlike societies where they might become heroes, patriots, or leaders), it's important to distinguish their behavior from criminal behavior. As Prof. Hare is fond of pointing out, most psychopaths are antisocial but not all antisocial personalities are psychopaths. This is because APD is defined mainly by behaviors (Factor 2 antisocial behaviors) and doesn't tap the affective/interpersonal dimensions (Factor 1 core psychopathic features, narcissism) of psychopathy. Further, criminals and APDs tend to "age out" of crime; psychopaths do not, and are at high risk of recidivism. Psychopaths love to intellectualize in treatment with their half-baked understanding of rules. Like the Star Trek character, Spock, their reasoning cannot handle any mix of cognition and emotion. They are calculating predators who, when trapped, will attempt escape, create a nuisance and danger to staff, be a disruptive influence on other patients or inmates, and fake symptoms to get transferred, bouncing back and forth between institutions. The common features of psychopathic traits (the PCL-R items) are:[/font]​

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Sans Serif]Glib and superficial charm; Grandiose sense of self-worth; Need for stimulation; Pathological lying; Conning and manipulativeness; Lack of remorse or guilt; Shallow affect; Callousness and lack of empathy; Parasitic lifestyle; Poor behavioral controls; Promiscuous sexual behavior; Early behavior problems; Lack of realistic, long-term goals; Impulsivity; Irresponsibility; Failure to accept responsibility for own actions; Many short-term marital relationships; Juvenile delinquency; Revocation of conditional release; Criminal versatility[/font]​

http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/narcissism/antisocial_sociopath_psychopath.html
After reading the above, I believe that Raven's traits tend towards those of the Sociopath. Especially the lack of conscience. He doesn't have one. And he can be incredibly charming around those whom he wants in his corner. But callously cold to those he has determined he does not need.

The only thing that would get his attention is something he cannot control. He feels he can control the people in his life. It's the people that don't fall for his act and don't become emotionally involved or attached to him that actually can have power over him and take away his control. He uses emotional attachments to manipulate people, and without the emotional attachments, he has no control. And I believe that scares him.

Yes Moxie, I definitely see what you mean, however, if you look at Psychopath, the traits are:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Sans Serif]Glib and superficial charm; Grandiose sense of self-worth; Need for stimulation; Pathological lying; Conning and manipulativeness; Lack of remorse or guilt; Shallow affect; Callousness and lack of empathy; Parasitic lifestyle; Poor behavioral controls; Promiscuous sexual behavior; Early behavior problems; Lack of realistic, long-term goals; Impulsivity; Irresponsibility; Failure to accept responsibility for own actions; Many short-term marital relationships; Juvenile delinquency; Revocation of conditional release; Criminal versatility

[/font]
These also seem to fit him quite well.

I believe one thing I read is that it depends on which way you look at Sociopath & Psychopaths.

Here's a more indepth look at psychopaths:

DISTEMPERED PSYCHOPATHS are the kind that seem to fly into a rage or frenzy more easily and more often than other subtypes. Their frenzy will resemble an epileptic fit. They are also usually men with incredibly strong sex drives, capable of astonishing feats of sexual energy, and seemingly obsessed by sexual urges during a large part of their waking lives. Powerful cravings also seem to characterize them, as in drug addiction, kleptomania, pedophilia, any illicit or illegal indulgence. They like the endorphin "high" or "rush" off of excitement and risk-taking. The serial-rapist-murderer known as the Boston Strangler was such a psychopath.

CHARISMATIC PSYCHOPATHS are charming, attractive liars. They are usually gifted at some talent or another, and they use it to their advantage in manipulating others. They are usually fast-talkers, and possess an almost demonic ability to persuade others out of everything they own, even their lives. Leaders of religious sects or cults, for example, might be psychopaths if they lead their followers to their deaths. This subtype often comes to believe in their own fictions. They are irresistible.

PRIMARY PSYCHOPATHS do not respond to punishment, apprehension, stress, or disapproval. They seem to be able to inhibit their antisocial impulses most of the time, not because of conscience, but because it suits their purpose at the time. Words do not seem to have the same meaning for them as they do for us. In fact, it's unclear if they even grasp the meaning of their own words, a condition that Cleckley called "semantic aphasia." They don't follow any life plan, and it seems as if they are incapable of experiencing any genuine emotion.

SECONDARY PSYCHOPATHS are risk-takers, but are also more likely to be stress-reactive, worriers, and guilt-prone. They expose themselves to more stress than the average person, but they are as vulnerable to stress as the average person. They are daring, adventurous, unconventional people who began playing by their own rules early in life. They are strongly driven by a desire to escape or avoid pain, but are unable to resist temptation. As their anxiety increases toward some forbidden object, so does their attraction to it. They live their lives by the lure of temptation.

terminatrixator said:
$5,000 Reward Offered In Unsolved Case Of Slain Durham Mother
http://www.wral.com/news/6404283/detail.html

POSTED: 2:38 pm EST January 24, 2006
UPDATED: 4:11 pm EST January 24, 2006

DURHAM, N.C. -- Nearly nine months after a Durham mother was found stabbed to death in her home, Durham police announced a reward Tuesday for information about the case.The Carole Sund/Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation is offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the April 26 slaying of 25-year-old Janet Abaroa.

On The Web: Carole Sund/Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation

Abaroa's husband, Raven Abaroa, found his wife dead inside their home at 2606 Ferrand Drive around 11 p.m. on Tuesday, April 26. Their 6-month-old son, Kaiden, who was also in the home, was uninjured.In the hours before her death, Janet Abaroa, who was in the early stages of pregnancy, picked up her son at day care and went with her husband to drop off her car for repairs, police said in a news release issued Tuesday.The Abaroas then met with a church member at their home that evening before Raven Abaroa left the house around 8:30 p.m. in a gray Dodge Durango to play in an indoor soccer game in Morrisville.Police said that when Abaroa returned home that evening, he found his wife upstairs.Investigators spent nearly 24 hours collecting evidence from the home, including knives, a cell phone and financial items, including a checkbook and loan papers. Police searched the Dodge Durango, where they found a knife and a pawn shop ticket. Authorities also collected soil samples from the SUV and took swabbings from various locations in the house. They also took the clothes Raven Abaroa had been wearing.In August, Durham investigators searched through the couple's e-mail accounts in hopes of finding information that would lead them to an arrest.Although no charges have been filed and no suspects have been named in the case, investigators said they do not believe the homicide was random. Police said there were no obvious signs of a break-in, even though a laptop computer was reported missing from the house.The Carole Sund/Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation, which posts rewards for families of victims who lack the financial means to do so themselves, will offer the $5,000 reward for six months. It is in addition to a reward being offered by CrimeStoppers for an arrest in the case.Anyone with information is asked to call the Durham Police Department at (919) 560-4440, ext. 247 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200.
Just a quick note to get things back to the topic. If you would like to donate towards the Janet Marie Chrisitansen Reward fund you may do so by going to the Carole Sund Carrington Foundation site, and contributing and make sure to mark clearly that it is for the Janet Marie Christiansen Reward Fund.

Thanks!

JerseyGirl said:

You know, this makes me think of something else too. Recently that pic of Raven with Kaiden at the computer was discussed. As I recall, Raven posted that picture the day before Janet was murdered, and also posted some other pix, that referenced them being taken that Monday, the 25th.

The one of Raven and Kaiden at the computer - it's possible that Raven used a webcam to take that pic? If not, who took that pic? Janet? Which makes me wonder - do we know if Janet worked that Monday or not? And if she didn't, why not take the Acura in for service on THAT day, as opposed to a work day, when the hometeachers were coming, etc,etc.?

SouthEastSleuth said:
You know, this makes me think of something else too. Recently that pic of Raven with Kaiden at the computer was discussed. As I recall, Raven posted that picture the day before Janet was murdered, and also posted some other pix, that referenced them being taken that Monday, the 25th.

The one of Raven and Kaiden at the computer - it's possible that Raven used a webcam to take that pic? If not, who took that pic? Janet? Which makes me wonder - do we know if Janet worked that Monday or not? And if she didn't, why not take the Acura in for service on THAT day, as opposed to a work day, when the hometeachers were coming, etc,etc.?
Maybe the picture was taken Monday evening, after work? Well at least after Janet's work since we've been told raven wasn't working (again)!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back