5/26/2023 filing on behalf of Steven Avery affidavit attached

Avery is currently incarcerated at Fox Lake Correctional Institution after being sentenced to life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. His life and court cases were covered in the hit Netflix true crime documentary series Making a Murderer.

Zellner, who has been leading Avery’s fight for freedom, filed a motion stating that a tow truck driver named Thomas Buresh came forward on 10 May. Buresh said that he witnessed Bobby Dassey driving Halbach’s RAV-4 in the days after her death.

Another person was spotted in the passenger seat alongside Dassey however Buresh has claimed that the second person was not Avery.
Zellner, who is fighting to get her client a new trial, ‘believes this witness is very important in adding to the growing evidence of Bobby Dassey’s involvement in the Halbach murder,’ Patch reports.

Sure thing - 18 years later - a "witness" who purports to have seen Bobby Dassey driving TH's RAV-4 going in the opposite direction on a county road on 11/4/05. Strange that Mr. Buresh is an avid Avery supporter and has attended several pro-Avery events in front of the Manitowoc courthouse. Also strange the same individual has tweeted his support for Avery/Dassey and accusations to Bobby Dassey w/o mentioning seeing Dassey. Even stranger this individual has deleted his Twitter account. Laughable and I'm sure Judge Sutkiewicz is already laughing.

I find this new witness not very credible.

First he gets lost. Was he new to the area? Or impaired in some way? Tired maybe?

He somehow remembers the exact night down to a few hours when he allegedly saw Bobby Dassey driving a RAV4.

Then his memory fades as to the last name of his helper "Mike" who is now deceased. So no one to corroborate his story and no way to research when "Mike" was his helper.

He claims he watched a news report and recognized Bobby Dassey as the driver either in the fall of 2006 "and" 2007. So what year did this happen?

His memory is again vague as to the year he claims he told his story to a detective, November 2006 or February 2007.

Next the witness waits until either 2017 or 2018, a full ten years later, to tell his brother about the sighting. He can't remember the year for some reason. He then waits another five or six years to contact Zellner on May 10th 2023.

What was the reason for extremely long delay in reporting this to the defense? I find this "new" evidence to be very weak, to the point of being useless. JMO.

She needs to give up. He's never going to get out of prison
A lot of money has been spent on Avery's appeals that have gone no where. Here's a link from 2017 saying the costs of his appeal was over $600,000 at that time. I'd like to know how much has been spent since then but I couldn't find a source.

A footnote toward the end of the motion filed last week by attorney Kathleen Zellner laid out what it's taken so far to mount the appeal for post-conviction relief. Avery, who is serving a life term for the murder of Teresa Halbach, is seeking a new trial.

• $232,542 on experts, paid for as follows: $14,000 from the Avery family, $21,191 from public donations, $22,000 from the Midwest Innocence Project and $175,351 from the law firm’s funds.
  • $428,000 in legal fees.

Here I thought she was doing it out of the goodness of her heart. He's not getting out. He is DONE!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrown
Back