500 native women who have disappeared or been murdered in the last 20 years

June 4 2019 rbbm.
COLD CASE EXPERT: MMIWG death tally likely double
native-e1559683222590.jpg

MMIWG: A criminology professor has warned that the real number of murdered Indigenous women and girls could be double official estimates.

The killer gambled.

And the gamble paid off.

The last time anyone saw Jane Bernard, 43, and Doreen Hardy, 18, alive was Aug. 27, 1966.

Bernard and Hardy were discovered days later dead outside Thunder Bay.

They had been strangled to death.

Their chauffeur to oblivion was described as a stocky white man in his 20s, driving a late-model Pontiac or Oldsmobile.

Witnesses said he was maybe 5’8″, light brown hair, glasses."

"In the wake of the MMIWG report detailing decades of murder, tears, indifference and heartache, one expert on cold cases estimates the true number of dead could be double the 3,500 semi-official total.

That’s a staggering 7,000 victims.

Using information from a Murder Accountability Project study for the U.S. Department of the Interior (which oversees Indigenous affairs in America,) Michael Arntfield revealed that the number of homicides was grossly underreported.

The full numbers are at murderdata.org.

“If you’re using the U.S. as a proxy, what does the data say?” the University of Western Ontario criminology professor told The Toronto Sun.

“How big is the problem? It’s far worse [the number of victims] than we previously thought.”

There are a slew of reasons for the missed murders — or concealed murders as Arntfield calls them.
Many murders of Indigenous people occur in rural areas where medical and police expertise is light on the ground.

The pediatrician may be the coroner. The cops are fine at ticketing people, not so much at homicide probes.

Arntfield also offers a more chilling proposal: There are serial killers hunting Indigenous women.

“And they’re getting away with it because no one is looking for them,” Arntfield said, adding that the Billings Gazette linked the deaths of three Indigenous women to a serial killer.

If Arntfield is right — and I have no reason to believe he isn’t — these hidden homicides may be a “microcosm” of a “catastrophic” horror.

“It’s not just the police system in rural areas, the coroner system in Canada and the U.S. is deeply flawed,” he said, adding that slipshod record keeping by coroners and the poor curation of homicide data has exacerbated the problem."

I may be naive and uninformed, but I have tried to pay attention to why there is a higher percentage of indigenous women who are missing and murdered.

In my opinion, hitchhiking plays a role in the missing and murdered, regardless of nationality or gender. The highway of tears includes indigenous and non-indigenous victims, and the main suspect is a migrant worker from the USA who has since died. He didn't care about the nationality of the victims. They were hitch hikers who were easy victims.

Another factor in higher number of victims is cultural, where indigenous women and children are victims of indigenous men and women. Residential schools are held responsible for the breakdown of indigenous families for multiple generations.

Here are the very common stories of unsolved missing and presumed murdered indigenous and non-indigenous woman:

"The 20-year-old mother from the Mikisew Cree First Nation in Alberta vanished almost five years ago, after getting into an unknown man's vehicle in Nisku, near Edmonton. She was staying in the area for a few days after arriving from Fort McMurray with her infant son and a female friend."​

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/...-murder-do-you-recognize-this-voice-1.3102635

"Madison or Maddy as her friends and family call her attended a party at Hogsback lake- about 25 kilometres south of Vanderhoof, which is not far from Highway 16 (Highway of Tears).​

Although, Maddy would have known the partygoers, a number of people showed up later in the night. Some of the party goers would be known to Maddy and her friends and some would not. While most people had left Hogsback Lake when the party ended, Maddy stayed behind in her tent."​

Crime Stoppers: Mysterious disappearance of Madison Scott

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...deo-search-disappearance-vanderhoof-1.3605064

Here are the stats for violent crime against women and girls in Canada. My next question would be about the populations in these areas.

"According to Statistics Canada ... violent crime against young women and girls were highest in Northern Saskatchewan in 2017 at nearly 14 thousand per 100 thousand populations. Manitoba was next at about nine thousand. These rates were five to six times higher than in their respective southern regions.

... violent crimes against young females were most often perpetrated by an intimate partner, a casual acquaintance, or a family member. Girls younger than 12 were most commonly victimized by a family member while women aged 18 to 24 were most commonly victimized by an intimate partner. Young female victims most often experienced sexual violence while adult victims most often experiences physical violence."​

https://www.cjwwradio.com/2019/07/04/violence-against-girls-and-young-women/

Again, given the higher rates of violence against women and girls in Northern Canada, the question is whether there is a correlation between Northern victims and indigenous populations.

"The rate of violent crime against women and girls in Canada’s North is three times as high as the rates in the rest of the country. ...

Women and girls between the ages of 18 and 24 in the North were the most likely to be victims of violent crime. ...

Women under the age of 24 also made up a larger proportion of homicide victims than their counterparts in the rest of the country. Thirty-one per cent of homicide victims in the North were women and girls, while the percentage for the rest of the country was 24 per cent. ...

Roughly 70 per cent of the violent crime reports in both the North and the rest of the country result in charges."
July 4, 2019
Rates of violent crime against women in the North triple those in rest of Canada

Again, given the higher rates of violence against women and girls in Northern Canada, the question is whether there is a correlation between Northern victims and indigenous populations.

"The rate of violent crime against women and girls in Canada’s North is three times as high as the rates in the rest of the country. ...

Women and girls between the ages of 18 and 24 in the North were the most likely to be victims of violent crime. ...

Women under the age of 24 also made up a larger proportion of homicide victims than their counterparts in the rest of the country. Thirty-one per cent of homicide victims in the North were women and girls, while the percentage for the rest of the country was 24 per cent. ...

Roughly 70 per cent of the violent crime reports in both the North and the rest of the country result in charges."
July 4, 2019
Rates of violent crime against women in the North triple those in rest of Canada
Thank you both for your reply's @dotr and @otto

But I do think that the cause of these high crimes is related to poverty and their low future perspective.
Also a lot of pollution on some rez like uranium mining, oil spills.

It is sad, that a lot of things are ignored,just to say it bold and coming from my point of view.

Thank you both for your reply's @dotr and @otto

But I do think that the cause of these high crimes is related to poverty and their low future perspective.
Also a lot of pollution on some rez like uranium mining, oil spills.

It is sad, that a lot of things are ignored,just to say it bold and coming from my point of view.

I'll do my best to answer this, but please realize that it is an emotionally charged discussion for some people, and it's easy to make a misstep. I apologize in advance if this seems simplistic or if I make a misstep.

Oil spills in Canada are cleaned up and are not an issue. I've never heard of uranium being an issue. A real issue is clean water and plumbing. I don't know all of the different problems in different parts of the country, and don't understand why rural wells and septic fields don't resolve the plumbing issues.

The Indigenous people are going to make a bid next week to buy 51% of the pipeline in Western Canada. Clearly money is not the problem. The pipeline is being twinned and will export oil off the West Coast to Asia. It's a multi-billion dollar bid.

The missing and murdered girls and women has been discussed by Canadian governments for a long time. Inquiries and money have not led to a solution. The previous government respected that the indigenous people wanted autonomy over how money was spent to solve the problem, so millions were given directly to the indigenous people to work towards a solution. When the money was spent, there were no answers and no change.

The Trudeau government has tried to make change. There has been another inquiry. I don't think the answers are different. The only real difference is to recognize that the breakdown of indigenous families could be a result of residential schools.

Residential schools started and stopped at different times in different parts of the country. My understanding is that when Indigenous children were educated in residential schools, the family structure was disrupted. Language, culture and spiritual beliefs were not passed from elders to the next generations. This contributed to alcoholism, drugs, distrust of the Canadian government and institutions, increased violence and poverty. Indigenous people's have access to indigenous finances, and poverty depends on the tribe. Some are very wealthy, some not, and some have issues with financial accountability. As a group, they are buying the Canadian Pipeline.

I think the idea is that settlers created residential schools, children were separated from their culture, the family unit was broken, that led to social issues, and the incidence of abused, missing and murdered indigenous women and children increased in Canada, especially Northern Canada. This is why colonialism is a big topic in Canada.

Bottom line, this is not a pollution problem, but rather a social problem.

I think there's a reason why statistics for violence against missing and murdered women have been released by the government during the missing and murdered indigenous females discussion. Essentially, the implication is that the problem is worse in Northern Canada, especially where there are larger indigenous populations. Arrest rates are no different for Northern and other regions of Canada - meaning arrests for indigenous region murders are consistent with arrests in the country.

This turns the focus for missing and murdered indigenous females to a regional social and cultural issue. Residential schools have been identified as a contributing factor.

If more money is needed, the indigenous community has billions of dollars to build schools, houses with indoor plumbing, hospitals, airports, swimming pools, athletic facilities, hotels and to ensure that everyone lives on fertile land. Maybe they prefer 51% of a pipeline.

Last edited:
Genocide of indigenous people and missing or murdered girls and women was allegedly caused by the residential school system - an historic problem that impacted several generations.

How does one solve that problem without building local communities based on local culture, language, foods, heritage and spiritual beliefs? That needs money, and there are billions available. Why is it not a priority for indigenous populations to reduce abuse of indigenous women and children through local education, housing, health care and social change?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back