6 teens drown in Louisiana river; 7th rescued

I can not imagine the heartache, anguish and hopelessness these families must be feeling. To see someone you know/love, in a situation you can not do anything about. May God grant them a peace that defies all understanding.

Survivor from Red River drowning tragedy speaks

The lone survivor of Monday’s Red River drowning tragedy is home with family grieving the loss of his friends and family.

DeKendrix Warner spoke softly as he recalled how he and the teens fought the waters and yelled for help.

“We were struggling,” the 15-year-old said. “I went down twice and came up. One person reached for me, and before I knew it, all of us were drowning.”

A bystander pulled Warner from the water, but the others, siblings from two families, vanished and drowned.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...0803024/Survivor-from-drowning-tragedy-speaks

Words alone cannot express the sadness I feel in my heart for these precious kids and their families. God bless them all...with out You they will never survive this tragedy.

*related articles and photo galleries also at above link (on the right)

On a report on the radio tonight they said that the place that they were at was not PUBLIC ACCESS. They had come through woods and stepped over logs etc...the reason that it wasn't public access is because the river isn't safe there. This is a tragedy no matter what....but preventable. And I have never nor my parents, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, owned a pool. But, I was taught how to swim.

On a report on the radio tonight they said that the place that they were at was not PUBLIC ACCESS. They had come through woods and stepped over logs etc...the reason that it wasn't public access is because the river isn't safe there. This is a tragedy no matter what....but preventable. And I have never nor my parents, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, owned a pool. But, I was taught how to swim.

Here's a link that shows the park...it's right off the highway and is public access. My kids use to hang out down there years ago.
http://www.shreveportla.gov/dept/spar/parks/sparparks.asp?facility_id=36

Here's a link that shows the park...it's right off the highway and is public access. My kids use to hang out down there years ago.
http://www.shreveportla.gov/dept/spar/parks/sparparks.asp?facility_id=36

Yes, I saw that picture too and it puzzles me a bit. It seems in the picture that the park proper just goes right up to the edge of the river. I wonder if it wasn't taken when the river was at a higher level or from a certain angle. In reality, especially during summer months, the Red River would usually appear to be "separated" from the developed areas by trees, small ponds of water, etc. debris, and there might be a sandbar before the waterline, maybe not. In Shreveport-Bossier, it is a wild place within a metro area.

It seems like a few years ago there was a crackdown by the Caddo and Bossier Sheriff's to stop people from taking their ATV's and four-wheel-drives out onto the sandbars, mainly because the river is now navigable and maintained by the Corps of Engineers and they don't want that disrupted by other activities affecting the river's flow. I have seen cars sunk all the way in sand bars (years ago, but it happened).

At any rate, this river is nothing to be fooled around with. About two years ago, in a neighboring parish, several young people went out night-fishing when the river was at flood stage and two of these young people drowned, one who was never recovered.

Just a sad situation, all around.

Six teens drown in the Red River
Youths ages 13 to 18 vanish in 18-foot sinkhole

Six teens drowned late Monday after disappearing into a sinkhole on the Red River, leading to a tragedy that Shreveport Fire Chief Brian Crawford called the worst he's ever seen.

Family members told authorities the victims, between the ages of 13 and 18 from three families, didn't know how to swim and were wading in shallow water. They had been in the lake for about 10 minutes near the sandbar at the Charles and Marie Hamel Memorial Park.

They had one life vest.

"One child ventured off into an area that he was unfamiliar with, and some of the other children had gone off with him," Crawford said. "They went into the vicinity of an 18-foot sinkhole. ... And once one started toppling into that sinkhole grabbing a hold of another, trying to save another, eventually seven were pulled into the hole."

A bystander jumped into the water and rescued a 15-year-old, but the other six went under and never resurfaced. The sixth body was recovered nearly three hours later, in water that authorities said was between 18-feet and 25-feet deep.

"Unfortunately, I'm afraid, and it's with a heavy heart, to report that we have pulled so far (six) bodies from the river. ... I can honestly say that in my 26 years of service I've never seen anything of this magnitude. And I hope I never see it again," the fire chief said.

Marilyn Robinson, a friend of the families, watched helplessly as the victims, five males and one female, went under. She said a large group of family and friends, including roughly 20 children, were out at the sandbar to barbecue, swim and have a good time.

They frequent the area and were familiar with the water, Robinson said.

"None of us could swim," the 38-year-old said. "They were yelling 'help me, help me. Somebody please help me.' It was nothing I could do but watch them drown one by one."

more at link http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100803/NEWS01/8030324/6-teens-drown-in-the-Red-River

Horribly sad.

But please tell me. If NO ONE can swim, then WHY go to a sandbar for a BBQ and swimming????? Why the H there??

This is sooooo sad. Heartbreaking and my prayers are with the families. I cannot even imagine their pain.

Site of drownings is without notices alerting of drop-offs

A sign posted on a pathway leading to the beach area where six Shreveport teens drowned a week ago warns visitors that alcohol and cars are not allowed on the beach. It's one of about nine other identical signs at the Charles and Marie Hamel Memorial Park posted at pathways leading to Red River.

There aren't any signs that say no swimming or that no lifeguard is on duty. Nothing warns visitors that the beach can suddenly drop off as much as 28 feet into the murky waters of the river.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100809/NEWS01/8090315/Beach-lacks-warning-signs

It's a crying shame that a simple sign warning of drop-offs could have saved all of these lives. They are quick to claim that it isn't a designated swimming area. However, it is not prohibited and is a well-known swimming area. No one wants to take the responsibility to post signs. It's sickening.

The lack of signage at the waterfront just might make these families pretty wealthy, sadly it will come at the expense of their children's lives.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back