6 year-old California boy dies after jumping off a ferris wheel

http://www.tracypress.com/2006-06-20-dark.php

According to this article, the boy was 49" tall and 64 lbs. That is pretty good size for a six year old. I'm not sure that those operate the rides can tell if a kid is "mature" enough to handle a ride just by looking at them.

Also, this ferris wheel is more of an enclosed gondola style. It seats two on each side with a pole in the center. There are no belts or any restraints. There are flimsy little doors on each side that open manually when you enter or exit from the ride. I just took my daughter and her friend on one this past weekend and I had to make sure they sat down. They were 9 and I wouldn't trust 'em alone on a ferris wheel yet!

I think our fair used to use this company for their rides until this year. I wonder why they switched. . .

It is a sad situation no matter where blame is placed. :(

PaperDoll said:
I don't think a 6 year old should ride a ride like that alone.. If some adults are afraid, then I'm sure a lot of kids would be as well.. :twocents:
We took our little 5 year old to the carnival the other night and he rode some of the kiddie rides, well when he seen the Ferris Wheel he flipped out NOT wanting to get on it. I was so glad! I hate that ride. I dont know what it is but I am so afraid of that stupid ride. My DH was like "I will take him on it if he wants" , I told him straight up "Give me a few more years of him riding kid rides please, my nerves cant take it"!!!! O am afraid he will get on something and get scared and climb out..

Yep!:crazy:

TaylorJ4 said:
>>>>>This reminds me... A couple of weeks ago my whole family went up to Chattanooga, TN to an amusement park.

Lake Winnie?

Simply no way a 6 year old should have been allowed to ride alone. I blame the mother. She should have not let him go on or joined him. That's the bottom line. She is the parent , she is solely responsible for her child's safety. Would she have let him climb a hundred foot ladder or ride a chair lift at a ski resort by himself?? I don't feel that she should be punished, although I do think she needs to take a parenting course to learn the responsibilities involved in being a parent if she has other children. Some people have no common sense.

:clap: :clap:

TheShadow said:
Simply no way a 6 year old should have been allowed to ride alone. I blame the mother. She should have not let him go on or joined him. That's the bottom line. She is the parent , she is solely responsible for her child's safety. Would she have let him climb a hundred foot ladder or ride a chair lift at a ski resort by himself?? I don't feel that she should be punished, although I do think she needs to take a parenting course to learn the responsibilities involved in being a parent if she has other children. Some people have no common sense.
absolutely agree with you 100%--i wouldnt let me 12 year old go byherself--
cannotttttttttt imagine letting a 6 year old go

Well in my city, maybe even country, there is only one "amusement" park ride provider.

The attendants are "extra" diligent in "ensuring" kids are safe, they speak up, have no fear of "parents" wrath and look out for kids and others too.

They are well aware that any "accident" will be on the news, the media will weigh in, and of course inspectors from the city.

Which could mean loss of jobs, loss, of venues, loss of permission to have rides at "fairs" and that it would spoil their "safe" reputation. Attendance would go down, as parents and kids would not attend.

Heck when I went on "my very last amusement ride forever in this lifetime," I got off, and I "looked" ill, I felt ill, and the attendent "took no chances" and phoned for medical, without me knowing about it.

Heck I am an adult........and he still was concerned that I might "faint"....

My son when he was young, wanted to go on a ride, he was 41 inches and the ride required 42. No way they say. But it is only an inch. Don't care, we have a responsibility to ensure the kids are safe and have a good time.

The rules say 42 inches for a reason........if I let him on at 41 inches and something happened, I would loose my job and the "owners" would be sued which could mean the loss of the company and all of the employees out of a job. Notwithstanding that the child could be seriously hurt or killed

For the sake of one inch.........

CyberLaw said:
Well in my city, maybe even country, there is only one "amusement" park ride provider.

The attendants are "extra" diligent in "ensuring" kids are safe, they speak up, have no fear of "parents" wrath and look out for kids and others too.

They are well aware that any "accident" will be on the news, the media will weigh in, and of course inspectors from the city.

Which could mean loss of jobs, loss, of venues, loss of permission to have rides at "fairs" and that it would spoil their "safe" reputation. Attendance would go down, as parents and kids would not attend.

Heck when I went on "my very last amusement ride forever in this lifetime," I got off, and I "looked" ill, I felt ill, and the attendent "took no chances" and phoned for medical, without me knowing about it.

Heck I am an adult........and he still was concerned that I might "faint"....
I admire you...seems you live in a world that is so very nice and perfect.....wish we had places like this here....

how do you know these people so well to know all that you stated in the post? I would not ever have known so much information about our amusment park here, 6 flags, I don't konw if the attendants are extra diligent, caring, I doubt very much these teenagers that run most rides here at SFOG would even be thinking about media coverage, job reprocussions etc when running these rides.....I think this is a fairy tale amusement park you speak of.....I don't think it's like this anywhere. I'm sure some of the attendants are nice, caring, but this just doesn't sound 'real' Just My opinion.

christine2448 said:
I admire you...seems you live in a world that is so very nice and perfect.....wish we had places like this here....

how do you know these people so well to know all that you stated in the post? I would not ever have known so much information about our amusment park here, 6 flags, I don't konw if the attendants are extra diligent, caring, I doubt very much these teenagers that run most rides here at SFOG would even be thinking about media coverage, job reprocussions etc when running these rides.....I think this is a fairy tale amusement park you speak of.....I don't think it's like this anywhere. I'm sure some of the attendants are nice, caring, but this just doesn't sound 'real' Just My opinion.

I agree..

christine2448 said:

Which is why the task of "diligence" falls to us the parents.

lisag said:
I agree..
Off Topic...Lisa :dance: gettin' close...R U excited? I haven't seen a pregger thread for you, did I just miss it? Do you know if you are having a boy or girl? If so names please?

I don't think I Have posted blame, if I have, I shouldn't have...this was an accident...however, it prompts you to think about the amusement part accidents and what we can do better as parents...me, myself, I would have choose to ride w/my child or not have let him gone.....but, it was not me, and I cannot imagine how this mother is coping, having to watch her son die a tragic death.

Also, this was not an "amusement park", it was a county fair. Big difference from the larger corporations that run nationwide-type of amusement parks. As someone mentioned earlier, these types of fairs and "carnivals" have had safety issues come up for years because they're so fly by night for the most part. I remember when I was younger my mother never wanted me to go to places like that and would cringe if my grandparents took me there for the specific reason of them being considered less safe and having less accountability as to their employees and how safely assembled their rides are.

LillyRush said:
Also, this was not an "amusement park", it was a county fair. Big difference from the larger corporations that run nationwide-type of amusement parks. As someone mentioned earlier, these types of fairs and "carnivals" have had safety issues come up for years because they're so fly by night for the most part. I remember when I was younger my mother never wanted me to go to places like that and would cringe if my grandparents took me there for the specific reason of them being considered less safe and having less accountability as to their employees and how safely assembled their rides are.
Hopefully Cal-OSHA is investigating and they will begin to fall under the same scrutiny for ride safety.

There is an amusement park here in Pittsburgh, Kennywood Park, that sounds very much like the one described. Very responsibly managed. Many of the employees are long-term people and often there are family connections among the summer workers - I know of one family with four boys, each of whom worked at the park during summer vacations from college.

It is a privately owned park as opposed to being part of a large chain, so maybe that is the difference.

The park itself is very historic, been around since 1900 or thereabouts, and is kept in absolutely beautiful condition. Gorgeous landscaping, young folks sweeping up spilled popcorn almost immediately after it is dropped - and with a smile on their face!

It is kind of a fairy tale, I guess. But if you ever visit Pittsburgh, be sure to go there. Also, they have a great website which has a "History" section.

TheShadow said:
If it's relevant, the mother is 24, which means she had him at 18. Common sense???

I hate Ferris Wheels. I always got queasy on them. Maybe he was having a panic attack.But, maybe it was a misplaced rite of passage.Just throwing out nothing but his responsibilty for safety wasn't his own at 6. Think..always think.

AlwaysShocked said:
There is an amusement park here in Pittsburgh, Kennywood Park, that sounds very much like the one described. Very responsibly managed. Many of the employees are long-term people and often there are family connections among the summer workers - I know of one family with four boys, each of whom worked at the park during summer vacations from college.

It is a privately owned park as opposed to being part of a large chain, so maybe that is the difference.

The park itself is very historic, been around since 1900 or thereabouts, and is kept in absolutely beautiful condition. Gorgeous landscaping, young folks sweeping up spilled popcorn almost immediately after it is dropped - and with a smile on their face!

It is kind of a fairy tale, I guess. But if you ever visit Pittsburgh, be sure to go there. Also, they have a great website which has a "History" section.

I LOVE Kennywood! I've been to amusement parks all over the country and Kennywood is my favorite.

Then come to Canada, go to the Ex, meet all of the "regular" employees especally this guy from Australia.

Really cute guy,(sshhh don't tell hubby) it is not like they hire employees in every town, the staff of this company are long term employees. They travel with the entire Conklin show.

How do I know this, well I see the same people year after year, they take "pride" in their job.....and it shows.....not just one person checks the safety measures, but two employees do. Now does that sound like dilligence........

I have gone to the Ex, then gone to the Markham Fair and the same people are at both......year after year....

There was one incident that happened at the Ex, boy, the ride was shut down, it made every news cast, interviews, Inspectors from the City, it was "well publicized". It is not just a blurb on the news, it was covered live for days........

So if someone "thinks" that a "fair" is shoddy, not good quality, their employees are "not well trained, nor do they care that the kids have a good time, the parents worry that everyone is not feeling secure and safe, do you think that less people will attend or more.

Good business and customer practices prevail........

If you do come to Canada, you will notice the difference in many different things.

Conklin is the same ride provider for the Markham Fair, the "March Break" rides, the Ex, and different fairs around Ontario.

Because trust me, parents are pretty fussy when it comes to "others" not doing their jobs and risking the safety of their kids, when the parents think that it is safe.

Not only would Conklin be affected, but other"business" people at the fair, as the main draw is the rides.....so if attendance is down for the rides, attendance is down for the entire "fair". The "midway" rides are the anchor of the fair. They do hire students to clean, work the "food stands" etc.

Please come to Canada, safe, clean, few guns, you can walk the streets in my area at any time of the day, rare cases of children dying from abuse, or violent crime, a sound social system and no government wiretapping phone calls because the "leader" feels above the law.

Come to Canada and see.........the Ex is in August.

Remember Canada only has 30 million people, not 300 million. My city of 4 million has on average between 50-60 murders a year.

CyberLaw said:
If you do come to Canada, you will notice the difference in many different things.

Please come to Canada, safe, clean, few guns, you can walk the streets in my area at any time of the day, rare cases of children dying from abuse, or violent crime, a sound social system and no government wiretapping phone calls because the "leader" feels above the law.
What parts are the best? What is the weather like?

I was taking a class where they brought in a Canadian guy to teach it and he was giving us an example of something. He said "For instance, who pumps their own gas anymore?"

We just stared at him.

He was unaware that we all do here. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici