6 year old girl's death ruled suicide

Tuesday, however, a spokesman for McMinnville Police Department went public with questions about whether the young girl's death actually was an intentional suicide. It's rare for local authorities to take issue with findings of the state Medical Examiner's Office, but that appears to the situation with this case.
Police Capt. Dennis Marks, in an interview with KOIN Channel 6 TV in Portland, said, “Our investigator … feels that … Samantha may have in fact done the actions that led to her death. But he finds it hard to believe, based on our interviews about her and about her situation, that she would have intentionally done that which we feel is part of committing suicide.”

IR, Thanks for adding the obit. (The phrasing, loving parents", makes me gag. And curse! I was happy to see neither got away easily, albeit, they will not know suffering as little Ben did. )

b09, One would think this story should have generated more attention from the media, knowing how media loves a circus.A local person must have made the connection between Samantha's & Benjamin's cases & posted at DD. It's overwhelming to me & so very, very sad.

I followed a link on another case & happened to see the caption to this story on the sidebar..... already 5 weeks old... hard to believe nobody at WS had run across the story & posted it before now.

It's hard for me to accept a child that young choosing to die. And that decision wouldn't come suddenly, there had to have been some indication beforehand. There must be compelling evidence it was not an accidental death. Somebody failed this child! God rest her soul.

I am guessing the connection to Benjamin was made via a simple google search of the mom's name. It comes right up. Someone was probably looking to see if mom has a record.

I can't find a criminal record for her, but I cannot find the 2008 incident with the sister either.

Tragic coincidence, I guess ....I googled the little girl's name to find other info. On Dreamin Demons, it says this child's mother was listed as aunt to the baby in this horrible incident back in Feb 2008:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60364&highlight=benjamin+sargent

I haven't looked up the original obituary yet, but a supposed copy is posted at DD by roxeegirl one month ago.

What do you make of this? Sleuths, get to work!

Wow - that is very interesting. I don't know what to think. I followed the thread you posted above very closely. Just awful.

I remember Benjamin Sargent's case. Lots of them make me tear up, but I actually cried for Ben.
I don't know what to think about the family connection to this case. A wee bit hinky, but I see hink everywhere.

i had the same reaction to this headline that i did to the polish girl claiming loose sperm in swimming pool got her pregnant.
i know that young children have been known to commit murder, but suicide at 6? the medial examiner who came to that conclusions so easily needs to be evaluated.

Tragic coincidence, I guess ....I googled the little girl's name to find other info. On Dreamin Demons, it says this child's mother was listed as aunt to the baby in this horrible incident back in Feb 2008:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60364&highlight=benjamin+sargent

I haven't looked up the original obituary yet, but a supposed copy is posted at DD by roxeegirl one month ago.

What do you make of this? Sleuths, get to work!

Thanks NoZme, I followed that thread and another poster cited this article re: the comments section by 'justanotherobserver' who seems to be Kellie Kubarski writing from her perspective about her younger sister who was sentenced to fifty years in jail for the death of her son, Benjamin. http://www.galesburg.com/news/news_state/x512360120/Trials-for-parents-accused-of-starving-son-set

Did Kellie Kubarski get custody of her sister's three year old child Natalie, or was Natalie adopted through foster care into another family?

From what I've read of Kellie Kubarski, she seems to have been a very caring mother. The little girl also seemed to show no indication of being depressed. Accounts were that she was a happy, playful girl.

Maybe she had been getting disciplined and was serving a time out at the time, because the rest of the family (mom and sisters) were in another part of the house when this happened.

Perhaps she was angry at being given the time out and was hoping to punish her mom for it by play acting as though she was dead, not realizing that her actions could actual cause her death. She was only six, and probably had no comprehension that death is final.

How does a 6 year old know how to hang herself?

That is what I would like to know. How had she even ever heard of suicide. When I was six I was to busy playing with my dolls to know about things like that. I just have a hard time believing this little girl hung herself. Are kids really focused on their weight at 6 yrs? I guess if she was teased about being fat it would cause her to realize that she was different from some of her classmates... but suicide!

I wonder what her family is like? Did she talk to her mom about being overweight? Did mom stress that as she grew taller she would slim down...encourage her? Did her mother go to the teacher or principal and let them know that her daughter was being treated that way? I wonder if it was a select few that teased her or the whole class? Either way a good teacher could have put a stop to it one way or the other. Being made fun of is so damaging to a child and these teachers know what is happening in their class.

I remember Benjamin Sargent's case. Lots of them make me tear up, but I actually cried for Ben.
I don't know what to think about the family connection to this case. A wee bit hinky, but I see hink everywhere.

I remember that case too. For some reason it seems that the dad was supposed to be taking care of the baby. Is that wrong? I remember a bottle was found inside the car seat like the baby could reach down when he got hungary and grab his bottle. Was the mom home when that happened? Didn't they spend a lot of time on the internet or am I confusing this case with another one? I just remember the shape the baby was found in and it was horrible. He just got dropped off and forgotten about. Hope the parents were thrown in prison and forgotten!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keziah16
Back