7.2 Earthquake SoCal Area

there have been hundreds of after-shocks and I swear, I can feel 1/2 of them!

This last one was a 5.5, about 9 mi from the one on Sunday.

I heard the Governor and Boxer are in Calexico today assessing damage. They had about $17m in losses.

fran

I just saw that one on the USGS web site. http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/ci10589037.html

I didn't feel it at all, even though I was in the exact same spot as I was in for the first one and have felt many of the other aftershocks. The ceiling beams in my apartment have been creaking ever since the first earthquake.

I swear I just felt another aftershock! I need an earthquake detector so I can tell the difference between these aftershocks and heavy trucks driving by.

And here I am griping about the heat and you're dealing with this! Be safe. We're thinking of you. :(

I felt it as well. I work close to Mexico and my entire desk shook.

I talked to my son who's now here in the SD area, but he used to work for the major medical center in Calexico. Earlier today I heard that Calexico had sustained about $17m in damages. The governor was there today along with Senator Boxer. Things look much grimmer.

The medical center sustained over $30m in damages alone. More than 1/2 of their 16 schools were damaged and some closed for the rest of the year. They're not sure what they're going to do. Shoot! I know teachers there!

Anyway, there's lots of businesses damaged, some closed, for how long? This on top of the area having 30% unemployment!

The governor said we're sending, or going to send relief supplies across the border to Mexicali. Much more damage there, some buildings completely collapsed, or second floor fell into the first floor. Anyway, they need food and blankets and such.

I sure got the carp scared out of me, but thank goodness it was only nerves rattled!

Stay safe,
fran

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member