A Stolen Life - Jaycee's New Book

Hi all....I purchased the audio version and listened to it on a trip a couple of months ago. I was surprised at her very soothing and calm tone. I'm sure she probably did a lot of stops and starts, but it was almost as if she tried to get the reader through the hard parts all the while assuring them she was ok. She'd bring you back to the present now and then to relieve the pressure of the moment. I knew about the story and I watched her interviews, but after listening to Jaycee tell her story, I just fell in love with her, what a strong, beautiful young woman.

The sexual aspect is of the story is a very small part of her book and it's all in the beginning - for the most part her's is a story of survival and adapting to her situation by living in the moment and finding joy, yes joy, in small things. She talks about being a young mother and needing a break from her children sometimes....she remained creative and even helped Garrido find a smidgen of success in a business venture that, imo, would probably have been a miserable failure otherwise.

I think her book is important to read in order to understand why children of abusive parents still love their abusers, and why women in abusive relationships sometimes stay.

Thanks. Your post puts me one step closer to taking a deep breath , "girding up my loins" and deciding to read her story.

I stll have not read it, it is sitting on a shelf, I bought it to support her.

I do not have the time.

Jaycee Dugard to release new memoir on life since being freed from 18-year captivity

Posted: 03/01/2016 09:36:54 AM PST
Jaycee Lee Dugard, who miraculously re-surfaced in 2009 after 18 years of captivity in an Antioch back yard during which her kidnapper fathered two daughters with her, will release a second memoir chronicling her life since being freed, her publisher announced Tuesday.
"Freedom: My Book of Firsts," is set for a July 12 release, five years to the day from the publication of her first memoir, "A Stolen Life," a heart wrenching, disturbing autobiographical account of Dugard's life between her abduction as an 11-year-old girl from her South Lake Tahoe neighborhood in 1991 to when she revealed herself to be still alive in a Concord parole office.
In a press release, publisher Simon & Schuster says the new book details her first experiences upon being freed from the clutches of captors Phillip and Nancy Garrido in August 2009, by which point she had two daughters by Phillip -- who first impregnated her when she was 13 -- who are now teenagers.
"There is life after something tragic happens," Dugard said in the release. "Life doesn't have to end if you don't want it to. It's all in how you look at it. Somehow, I still believe that we each hold the key to our own happiness and you have to grab it where you can in whatever form it might take."
more at link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/bre...ee-dugard-release-new-memoir-life-since-being

What an inspiring young woman!

Dugard has also gradually claimed a public persona, primarily as a national advocate and founder of the JAYC Foundation (Just Ask Yourself to Care), which aims to empower victims of sexual abuse.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_29580790/jaycee-dugard-release-new-memoir-life-since-being

She is such an inspiration!

I listen to her book on Audio and read along with it, Elizabeth Smart`s book was good too. Both of them are brave to have to read their books out loud and go back and relive what happened in their memory of what they went through.

I listen to her book on Audio and read along with it, Elizabeth Smart`s book was good too. Both of them are brave to have to read their books out loud and go back and relive what happened in their memory of what they went through.
Although it can never take away the sexual assaults, it lets Philip Garrido and Elizabeth's captor not succeed beyond that because the truth of their stories are now out there.

What an inspiring young woman!

Dugard has also gradually claimed a public persona, primarily as a national advocate and founder of the JAYC Foundation (Just Ask Yourself to Care), which aims to empower victims of sexual abuse.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_29580790/jaycee-dugard-release-new-memoir-life-since-being

Jaycee's bravery in doing this to help others brings tears to my eyes.

Thank you for sharing this information - this is so kind of you.

Jaycee Dugard is my Hero in so many ways. I will purchase her book and learn from it.

I'm almost finished with her first book and am really happy she has come so far.
She is truly an inspiration.

i too have both her first memoir and the audiobook.

it just amazed me she could do that much. and then she went on and formed her own foundation to help others.

i remember when she was found alot of people figured she would be too mentally damaged to ever live anything slose to a normal life. i give all the credit to her and her mom and how they re-uinted and how her mom accepted her daughters as her own grandaughters despite their parentage.

terry was strong and obviously jaycee inherited it too.

will gladly buy her new book!

What are the name(s) of the Parole Officers who failed to discover Jaycee was trapped in that house?

doctor09 they have never released those names. since supposedly they did over 60 home visits im assuming a lot of different people.

i remember there was a video the two slime made of one of the investigators just doing a brief walkthru of the house (while bypassing the backyard) for the purpoes of complaining to superiors that they were 'being harassed'. what a crock.

Law Enforcement Officers must guard against becoming complacent-but it takes great supervision, guidance, support, and positive reinforcement from superiors to help achieve this worthy goal.

I had never heard of Jaycee (I'm not sure if it just wasn't a huge deal in Brazil or if I was too young to pay attention to the news), but I spent the last few days reading most threads in her section and... wow, what a strong woman!

I was also impressed with many posts here, sorry if you got some notifications from my liking random stuff recently...

Anyway, I just got Jaycee's book, gonna start reading tonight!

jaycee is once again having an interview with diane sawyer just before her new book comes out, friday july 8th on 20/20.

just for a sidenote, her interview with diane on july 10th 2011 drew almost 15 million viewers and her first book was on top of the new york times bestseller list for 7 weeks.

all at a time we all seemed consumed with the horrific casey anthony verdict.

she's a shining light in a sea of darkenss.

jaycee is once again having an interview with diane sawyer just before her new book comes out, friday july 8th on 20/20.

just for a sidenote, her interview with diane on july 10th 2011 drew almost 15 million viewers and her first book was on top of the new york times bestseller list for 7 weeks.

all at a time we all seemed consumed with the horrific casey anthony verdict.

she's a shining light in a sea of darkenss.

She was amazing and an inspiration that interview!

She was amazing and an inspiration that interview!

Good to hear it! I taped it, meant to watch it last night, but by the time I discovered it, it was too late and I'd already wasted my time by watching the rerun of the mother in Las Vegas who was really a drug dealer, but they pretended her death was road rage, when in reality, she had instigated it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back