Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #183

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, none of us are surprised by this and many of us even expected it. We knew the D wasn't ready.. they were not ready last fall when they said they were. This trial was set for October and big surprise the D playing games requests the speedy trial... then withdrawals it and we are back to October like was already set before they changed it.

How much money and planning has went already into getting accommodations ready for the jurors for NEXT WEEK??!!??
I was surprised the request to postpone trial was granted. Perhaps that’s as it must be, legally.

I find it hard to understand how people can say these attorneys don't care about this client. They are going so hard for him and likely neglecting nearly everything else in their practice. Additionally, there are so many other respected attorneys also completely disagreeing with the way the judge is handling this case, even taking it to the SCOIN.

I know people don't like them simply because they are defense attorneys and they believe "guilty until proven innocent," but I just don't see it in this case.

JMO MOO

I don't think most people believe in guilty until proven innocent. Having an opinion based on the information that is available is the reason that many of us lean towards the guilty side of all of this.

I don't think that the Defense team is fighting for RA because they believe in his innocence. I think that they are doing their job with insanely inflated egos.

JMO

During the hearing, the defense expressed worry that the prosecution would take up too much time during the trial, and requested 15 working days to present.

Special Judge Gull responded to the request by saying she couldn’t ask the jury to extend past the dates already set for May, adding that two and a half weeks should be sufficient time for the case.

Prosecution replied saying that they tried to “cut the fat” as sufficiently as possible, and planned to call 45 witnesses with a projected end date of May 25, which would give the prosecution seven days to present outside of jury selection.

More tidbits at link

Somebody did come forward with that saying those very things.

Richard Allen did come forward to say it was him on the trails wearing the clothing, walking the trails, going on the bridge all while being the only one wearing and going those places as he pointed out himself.

How do you know what all the tips were? How do you know someone didn’t tip him in and it went nowhere?

Holding responsible the people of a sweet little community for not recognizing a killer at the store is victim blaming.

Imo, that’s part of his motivation was the freedom he has a nobody.

all imo
No offense intended.
The filter of the familiar is the most difficult.

Selfish of me, but I was looking forward to seeing a speedy resolution. This movie has run long already.

I don't see it as being selfish.
Many of us have watched, waited, researched and even become connected to the victims families to varying degrees.

Having said that, this may be the only time that I agree with the defense. 2 weeks was not a fair amount of time for both sides to present their evidence and witnesses.

JMO

Exactly, none of us are surprised by this and many of us even expected it. We knew the D wasn't ready.. they were not ready last fall when they said they were. This trial was set for October and big surprise the D playing games requests the speedy trial... then withdrawals it and we are back to October like was already set before they changed it.

How much money and planning has went already into getting accommodations ready for the jurors for NEXT WEEK??!!??
Just how were they supposed to be ready when the State sent mountains of discovery that was possibly disorganized (I don't know the normal structure for the distribution of discovery), that was LATE, that was missing and had to be followed up on or lost entirely?

THen you got NM over there screwing around with contempt motions and wasting time, him carrying on like a first grader in the school yard whining to the judge about banning certain words from use in trial...

You got JG who sat (is she still sitting) on motions without hearings or issuing summary judgements without written decisions etc... not paying for this expert or that, not paying counsel (???) as alleged by BR.... If she hadn't dismissed the lawyers in the fall, this would have been further along than it is... but here we are.

The delays aren't soley because the D here.

I was surprised the request to postpone trial was granted. Perhaps that’s as it must be, legally.
Oh I think she had to.. imagine how that would go down if she didn't. She's bias, out to get RA and the defense and so on.

I would understand if she did deny the request. They said they were ready last year and a trial was set for October 2024. Then it was the D who filed the speedy trial request causing a lot of chaos. Then knowing the judge had set 3 weeks for the trial oh gee 60 something days ago.. they said nothing all this time and then we have the letter from the judge noting that exact thing. Neither side objected to the time set way back when.. if you need more time than 3 weeks the time to speak up was when the judge was setting the dates for the trial... I mean common sense tells me the judge is not a mind reader and if I need more than that then I need to raise the concern with her when the trial dates are being set. This isn't a normal trial. Many things have to be considered like jury sequestration. It can't be opened ended and for purposes of planning and even jury selection it's good to know 3 weeks, 5 weeks, 6 weeks.. huge difference for people being able to serve on the jury or not especially when they are sequestered. So now here we are poor D can't be ready next week so we are back to October. Imagine if they would have just taken the Oct trial and gee maybe been working on their defense and not all the side shows.

During the hearing, the defense expressed worry that the prosecution would take up too much time during the trial, and requested 15 working days to present.

Special Judge Gull responded to the request by saying she couldn’t ask the jury to extend past the dates already set for May, adding that two and a half weeks should be sufficient time for the case.

Prosecution replied saying that they tried to “cut the fat” as sufficiently as possible, and planned to call 45 witnesses with a projected end date of May 25, which would give the prosecution seven days to present outside of jury selection.

More tidbits at link

Considering the fact the judge isn't keen on holding actual hearings, there probably would have been so many sidebars and jury being sent out for long periods of time so that they could settle matters in the middle of the trial that really should be done before the trial. Maybe now she will at least hold some hearings, but if not, everyone has more time to do it the slow way....communicating just in writing back and forth.

I don't think there is any way this trial could have been held thoroughly and fairly for either side on its scheduled date or in its schedule timeframe.

Considering the fact the judge isn't keen on holding actual hearings, there probably would have been so many sidebars and jury being sent out for long periods of time so that they could settle matters in the middle of the trial that really should be done before the trial. Maybe now she will at least hold some hearings, but if not, everyone has more time to do it the slow way....communicating just in writing back and forth.

I don't think there is any way this trial could have been held thoroughly and fairly for either side on its scheduled date or in its schedule timeframe.

judge Newman in the Murdaugh trial ruled on very few motions before the trial. Instead he told the attorneys that he would rule on certain evidence was admissible if and when it came up in trial. And that’s what they did, and it worked just fine.
So it can work.
JG’s mistake was not scheduling the trial as being open ended.

More tidbits at link

I am at a loss for how this happens. The trial schedule was set ages ago. Yet the week before trial the parties announce it isn't long enough.

I would understand if she did deny the request. They said they were ready last year and a trial was set for October 2024. Then it was the D who filed the speedy trial request causing a lot of chaos. Then knowing the judge had set 3 weeks for the trial oh gee 60 something days ago.. they said nothing all this time and then we have the letter from the judge noting that exact thing. Neither side objected to the time set way back when.. if you need more time than 3 weeks the time to speak up was when the judge was setting the dates for the trial...

RSBM. +1

strange IMO

"The new dates for the trial were slated for Oct. 14, 2024 – Nov. 15, 2024. Gull said after setting the new trial dates that “if you can’t try this case in a month, there is something wrong.”
Rozzi replied, “You don’t know anything about this case, so how do you know how long this will take.”

Gull responded by saying with all her experience, it was bold of the defense to assume she didn’t know how long it would take."

Oh wow! I cannot believe BR even said that to a judge in open court!! What the what!! Given their next move was to file again to remove JG from the case, I have to wonder, was he trying to provoke her into a misstep??

"The new dates for the trial were slated for Oct. 14, 2024 – Nov. 15, 2024. Gull said after setting the new trial dates that “if you can’t try this case in a month, there is something wrong.”
Rozzi replied, “You don’t know anything about this case, so how do you know how long this will take.”

Gull responded by saying with all her experience, it was bold of the defense to assume she didn’t know how long it would take."

Oh wow! I cannot believe BR even said that to a judge in open court!! What the what!! Given their next move was to file again to remove JG from the case, I have to wonder, was he trying to provoke her into a misstep??

I'll only note, thanks to the 4 Franks motions, Judge Gull would seem to be more aware of what their defence is than usual IMO. They've pretty much laid out their theory of the case, in my opionion.

MOO

Rozzi also requested that in the future, there would be no security in close proximity when conferring with Allen. He opposed the fact that security was nearby in the courtroom Tuesday, but when offered the chance to speak with Allen in the sheriff’s office, the defense declined.

Rozzi also requested that in the future, there would be no security in close proximity when conferring with Allen. He opposed the fact that security was nearby in the courtroom Tuesday, but when offered the chance to speak with Allen in the sheriff’s office, the defense declined.

Is it not reasonable for defense attorneys to expect privacy when consulting with their clients?

judge Newman in the Murdaugh trial ruled on very few motions before the trial. Instead he told the attorneys that he would rule on certain evidence was admissible if and when it came up in trial. And that’s what they did, and it worked just fine.
So it can work.
JG’s mistake was not scheduling the trial as being open ended.

How much time did he set for that trial?

The D speaks out of both sides of their mouths IMO. I'm sure they were too busy to talk with RA in person, they need to get out there and make the SM slugs and their Defense 'experts' get to work and to give their own "we're so grateful for the extension" to any one with a mic in their hand.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member