Abc Cancels Roseanne After Racist Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed the original Rosanne & watching the reboot. Never had a clue what the actors did / do when not acting.

When reboot started there was the political riffing between Rosanne & Jackie that riled me up, but then I thought--- they are just showing a regular family's quirky moments. We all have THAT Rosanne relative.

The reboot could have been used to help people in different lifestyle situations see parts of their own quirky lives. She had so much leeway here to wave whatever flags she desired.
Unfortunate that she showed us what is going on in her mind. Scary, racist stuff.

Now, can't they just kill off her character and move on so we can' see Dan & family grow & be funny?

I feel sorry for John, the rest of the cast and all the writers and crew that they have lost work due to Roseanne being an imbecile with very bad judgment. Her apology didn’t sound sincere to me it read like something her publicist had drafted for her.
Agree. Especially the writers.

Wow. They work beforehand and everything was for nothing.

Time to call escrow and tell them to cancel your offer on that new home while Roseanne is still rich.

They should sue. Jmo

I enjoyed the original Rosanne & watching the reboot. Never had a clue what the actors did / do when not acting.

When reboot started there was the political riffing between Rosanne & Jackie that riled me up, but then I thought--- they are just showing a regular family's quirky moments. We all have THAT Rosanne relative.

The reboot could have been used to help people in different lifestyle situations see parts of their own quirky lives. She had so much leeway here to wave whatever flags she desired.
Unfortunate that she showed us what is going on in her mind. Scary, racist stuff.

Now, can't they just kill off her character and move on so we can' see Dan & family grow & be funny?

When Roseanne 2 came on I read that from at the very beginning of Rosanne 1 they considered dropping Rosanne and focusing on Dan due to her exceptionally rocky relationship with the writers. Jon Goodman has more talent in his little finger than a woman like Roseanne does who relies on disgusting racist jokes to get attention and laughs.

Nothing has shown up on the internet yet, but I’m watching Don Lemon who’s reporting that Rosanne has just posted a tweet apologizing to the cast and crew who have been affected by her racist tweet. She didn’t actually refer to this morning’s tweet as racist, she called it stupid or a similar descriptive word. Roseanne also directed a tweet to Don Lemon, although he didn’t say what that tweet said. I guess it’s worth an eyebrow raise that of all the reporters that have discussed this morning’s racist joke she directed a tweet at the one that is gay and black. Possibly the Lemon tweet was filled with love and sugar cookies, at any rate she posted it, took it down and reposted.

Roseanne’s agents have now dumped her. Do you think that’s her career over now or will she make a comeback months down the line like Kathy Griffin?

Roseanne’s agents have now dumped her. Do you think that’s her career over now or will she make a comeback months down the line like Kathy Griffin?
I think Kathy Griffin should have been dropped by anyone with any ethics, too. Not because of her lack of ethics, but because ridicule and shock value is just not funny. I never thought that Roseanne was funny, either. I guess everyone has their own interpretation of what is funny.
This is what I call humour.

The view inside Disney, according to sources, was that Tuesday was the third or fourth time when Barr's tweets had presented a problem for ABC. This controversy was by far the worst yet.

Tuesday's racist and bizarre tweets were "unsurvivable," one of the sources said. "Enough was enough."

The inside story of how ABC fired Roseanne Barr

I think Kathy Griffin should have been dropped by anyone with any ethics, too. Not because of her lack of ethics, but because ridicule and shock value is just not funny. I never thought that Roseanne was funny, either. I guess everyone has their own interpretation of what is funny.
This is what I call humour.

I don’t find either woman funny either. I didn’t get the appeal of the Roseanne show but I have never been a sitcom person.

It’s amazing how much damage a tweet can cause. Look at the people who have lost their job or have been sued for defamation all because they sent a idiotic tweet. I don’t do social media but can’t understand why anyone especially someone in the public eye would send an abhorrent tweet like this into the public domain.

Did Roseanne not think for a moment that there would be a backlash or repercussions for what she was posting or did she just not care?

I would not be surprised if Fox tries to pick up the show. Many of their shows give off the same virulent vibe.

ABC/Disney are trying to buy 21st Century Fox. I can’t see the show being on again on any network or Netflicks/Amazon Prime. I don’t think they would risk the bad PR and viewer backlash.

And she just could not resist making it political, could she?

To be fair, it was political from the start. The most recent racist joke was about a political figure. Roseanne’s racism is not shared by my conservative friends, but part of ABC’s motivation to go with the Roseanne reboot was because of its appeal to conservative American’s because not all republicans are racists, and I don’t think Roseanne’s character on the show was a racist. While I did not watch the show, I believe there were political themes. Trump commented on the show, how many sitcoms have been brought up by a president at a campaign rally? Racism is multi-faceted issue, but in these times it is certainly a political issue, and that’s as it should be. We shouldn’t make excuses for racists, racist sentiments, and behavior be they overt or covert. Racism should be confronted and discussed until it’s erratication from our society. When it comes to making our voices heard, power as consumers and our power as voters are at separate, at times intertwined. In this case, I think they are untwined for many people who support Roseanne and those who do not. Of course they are separate for many others as well, it’s a big country.

If someone supports Roseanne they are not automatically a racist. They may be fans of show or really like Roseanne’s comedy that is not racist. I can say that I’m still an uncomfortable fan of some Jack Kerouac’s backs despite the fact that it’s likely he was a sexist. Were he alive and canned for misogynistic speech or behavior I would applaud it. I think some believe there is an inequity in the levels of consequences and national backlash for the the various frowned upon speech/behaviors made by celebrities and other public figures.

I don’t find either woman funny either. I didn’t get the appeal of the Roseanne show but I have never been a sitcom person.

It’s amazing how much damage a tweet can cause. Look at the people who have lost their job or have been sued for defamation all because they sent a idiotic tweet. I don’t do social media but can’t understand why anyone especially someone in the public eye would send an abhorrent tweet like this into the public domain.

Did Roseanne not think for a moment that there would be a backlash or repercussions for what she was posting or did she just not care?

And every last one of them, except the young cast members, knew exactly what she was before they got involved again.

I'm not blaming them. You can work with people who are crazy sometimes or say inappropriate things. Even with racists. And it doesn't make you bad. Just understanding that people are human and complex and that even people who say abhorrent things are not always all bad.

But you risk the consequences of working with them.

To be fair, it was political from the start. The most recent racist joke was about a political figure. Roseanne’s racism is not shared by my conservative friends, but part of ABC’s motivation to go with the Roseanne reboot was because of its appeal to conservative American’s because not all republicans are racists, and I don’t think Roseanne’s character on the show was a racist. While I did not watch the show, I believe there were political themes. Trump commented on the show, how many sitcoms have been brought up by a president at a campaign rally? Racism is multi-faceted issue, but in these times it is certainly a political issue, and that’s as it should be. We shouldn’t make excuses for racists, racist sentiments, and behavior be they overt or covert. Racism should be confronted and discussed until it’s erratication from our society. When it comes to making our voices heard, power as consumers and our power as voters are at separate, at times intertwined. In this case, I think they are untwined for many people who support Roseanne and those who do not. Of course they are separate for many others as well, it’s a big country.

If someone supports Roseanne they are not automatically a racist. They may be fans of show or really like Roseanne’s comedy that is not racist. I can say that I’m still an uncomfortabple fan of some Jack Kerouac’s backs despite the fact that it’s likely he was a sexist. Were he alive and canned for misogynistic speech or behavior I would applaud it. I think some believe there is an inequity in the levels of consequences and national backlash for the the various frowned upon speech/behaviors made by celebrities and other public figures.

But times, surely, have changed since then. But people like Roseanne think that they have not. You can be as objectionable or as offensive as you like, but that does not exclude you from the court of public opinion.

Last edited:
ABC would have to sell them the rights and I am not sure that that would be looked at kindly.

I agree that it would not be looked at with a kind eye. ABC isn’t the show’s distributor. It’s been discussed on different news shows that it could be picked up by a different network. That’s got to be on Roseanne’s mind as she tweets her sorry-not-sorry’s featuring her supporters.

Roseanne - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member