Actor Wesley Snipes Blames Racism For Tax Charges

Dang Wesley why did he have to go and do that? I always really liked Wesley but if he did NOT do his taxes for the last 5 years that has absolutely nothing to do with being black sorry Wes..not buying it!

Dang Wesley why did he have to go and do that? I always really liked Wesley but if he did NOT do his taxes for the last 5 years that has absolutely nothing to do with being black sorry Wes..not buying it!

I agree - had he paid his taxes like other citizens, then he wouldn't be in this hot water. He can afford to pay tax lawyers, etc., but just like anyone else, we're ultimately responsible for paying our taxes. He just needs to handle his business and move on. JMHO.

We can assume that because there is no solid evidence of racism here. The assumption and evidence argument goes both ways.

Paladin, we have no idea what the evidence may be. We haven't seen it.

In court, of course, the burden of proof lies with Mr. Snipes; he must prove the racism he claims. But in a discussion like this, the burden of proof should lie with the poster making the claim.

It's one thing to say: "We haven't seen any evidence of racism. Until we do, we can't buy Mr. Snipes' claim of racism." It's quite another to insist the claim is bogus and Mr. Snipes is inventing something to avoid taking responsibility. The latter may well turn out to be true, but we just don't know at this point.

The rush here to denounce the racism charge (without any evidence) can be fairly seen as an assertion that ALL such charges are bogus. That is not true, but it seems to be a commonly held belief.

I agree - had he paid his taxes like other citizens, then he wouldn't be in this hot water. He can afford to pay tax lawyers, etc., but just like anyone else, we're ultimately responsible for paying our taxes. He just needs to handle his business and move on. JMHO.

I could be wrong, Deputy, but hasn't the issue gone beyond just paying what is owed. I believe Mr. Snipes now faces jail time, whether or not he makes restitution.

IRS does not see black/white/yellow, etc., they see green - dollar signs.

On the whole, Magic, I think you are right. The IRS is concerned with getting its money, not the skin color of the taxpayer.

But in any individual case, a lot of people and a lot of factors come into play. Is Mr. Snipes being singled out for an especially vigorous prosecution? And if he is, does his skin color have anything to do with it? (Though I suspect not,) I don't think we can know as yet.

I could be wrong, Deputy, but hasn't the issue gone beyond just paying what is owed. I believe Mr. Snipes now faces jail time, whether or not he makes restitution.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I didn't type my thoughts appropriately (not the first time:blushing: )...it is indeed too late for him to pay the taxes now; there are now further consequences of not handling them in an appropriate and timely manner.

had he paid his taxes like other citizens, then he wouldn't be in this hot water. He can afford to pay tax lawyers, etc., but just like anyone else, we're ultimately responsible for paying our taxes. He just needs to handle his business and move on. JMHO.

Exactly.

It's just a shame that he had to toss out the race card, when had just filed his taxes and paid them...he wouldn't be in this boat.

What it shows me is that Mr. Snipes, like so many others, fall back on the race card. If anyone is quick to assume anything, it's those that use the race card.

Sorry, they are hurting themselves.

Maybe we should come up with different cards...I am sick of this one. lol

It's ALWAYS about color, isn't it.

I was pretty shocked that he decided to play the race card. I'm not sure how much good it will do him in his case with the feds or trying to get another job in Hollywood.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I didn't type my thoughts appropriately (not the first time:blushing: )...it is indeed too late for him to pay the taxes now; there are now further consequences of not handling them in an appropriate and timely manner.

Deputy, I swear I wasn't playing "gotcha" and I don't know that you mistyped.

I was sincerely asking because I wasn't sure. It seems at least possible that Snipes' lawyer is arguing that the criminal prosecution unfairly targets Snipes, not that the IRS unfairly targeted Snipes by demanding he pay taxes. Some posters have responded here as if the argument is that only black people have to pay their taxes; I doubt that's what Snipe is claiming.

There's nothing occasional about it. It's used ALL the time.

"ALL the time" means how often? What is your evidence for that claim?

Have I ever known anyone to unfairly claim they were targeted by an employer because of their race? Yes (though in fairness, the perception of the minority person claiming discrimination may differ from mine). But I haven't seen it happen as often as the reaction from posters here would suggest.

Deputy, I swear I wasn't playing "gotcha" and I don't know that you mistyped.

I was sincerely asking because I wasn't sure. It seems at least possible that Snipes' lawyer is arguing that the criminal prosecution unfairly targets Snipes, not that the IRS unfairly targeted Snipes by demanding he pay taxes. Some posters have responded here as if the argument is that only black people have to pay their taxes; I doubt that's what Snipe is claiming.

Nova,
No prob.

I would think (but haven't followed this that closely) that they could still come to some negotiated agreement, eliminating a possible jail/prison sentence. Yet, that would probably mean Snipes would have to plead guilty and pay much of the taxes and penalties. If I were in his situation, I think that's what I'd be aggressively doing. Then again, I would have been handling this several years ago, LOL. Now I'm a little more curious as to why this has gone on so long, as I know it's been in the news at least more than a year. (DD leaving to go read up on some of the history....)

Nova,
No prob.

I would think (but haven't followed this that closely) that they could still come to some negotiated agreement, eliminating a possible jail/prison sentence. Yet, that would probably mean Snipes would have to plead guilty and pay much of the taxes and penalties. If I were in his situation, I think that's what I'd be aggressively doing. Then again, I would have been handling this several years ago, LOL. Now I'm a little more curious as to why this has gone on so long, as I know it's been in the news at least more than a year. (DD leaving to go read up on some of the history....)

So would I, DD, so would I. My motto is:

"I don't mess
With the IRS."

"ALL the time" means how often? What is your evidence for that claim?

Oh gosh...let me go document EVERY time I've heard this being used. lol

But you believe what you want. I don't care. I just don't agree with you...at all.

And Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson love it!

Bump It Up--looks like Wesley Snipes is going to do some prison time--Snipes is expected to face 4 to 5 years in Prison for massive Income Tax evasion, the conspiracy charge is the most serious--He hasn't paid any taxes in 9 years despite earning huge sums of money--lol what a greedy pig--have fun in prison Snipes

Bump It Up--looks like Wesley Snipes is going to do some prison time--Snipes is expected to face 4 to 5 years in Prison for massive Income Tax evasion, the conspiracy charge is the most serious--He hasn't paid any taxes in 9 years despite earning huge sums of money--lol what a greedy pig--have fun in prison Snipes

It's nice to see a celeb get justice like the rest of us would...now we just have to see how much time he really does.

Seems about right to me...didn't "Richard Hatch" of "Survivor" get similar time?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back