GUILTY AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

Man sentenced in wife’s beating death on Alaska cruise dies
He was found unresponsive in his cell Wednesday morning.

• July 16, 2021 2:18pm
A Utah man who was sentenced to 30 years in prison last month in the beating death of his wife on an Alaska cruise has died, the Alaska Department of Corrections said.

Kenneth Manzanares was in the department’s custody, at a facility in Juneau, when he was found unresponsive in his cell Wednesday morning, the department said in a statement. Life-saving measures were attempted but he was later pronounced dead, the department said.

Man sentenced in wife’s beating death on Alaska cruise dies | Juneau Empire

ST. GEORGE — A Santa Clara man sentenced to 30 years for killing his wife during an Alaskan cruise in 2017 was found dead in his prison cell earlier this week.

Kristy and Kenneth Manzanares, photo location and date unspecified | Photo courtesy of Kristy Manzanares Facebook, St. George News

Kenneth Manzanares, 43, was found dead at the Lemon Creek Correctional Facility in Juneau, Alaska, around 7 a.m. Wednesday, according to a press release the Alaska Department of Corrections issued later that day.

“Manzanares was observed to be unresponsive in his cell at 6:59 a.m.,” the release states. “Correctional officers and medical staff responded and immediately began performing life saving measures until emergency responders arrived on scene at 7:14 a.m. EMS pronounced Manzanares dead at 7:42 a.m.”

Southern Utah man who killed wife during cruise found dead in prison

Is it heartless of me to say good riddance to bad rubbish? I like to think justice comes in many forms.

I hope their children can now heal and go on with their lives and I hope they are good lives and full of happiness. Bless their hearts.

https://doc.alaska.gov/commish/pressreleases/Inmate Death, Manzanares, 07.14.2021.pdf
STATE OF ALASKA PRESS RELEASE
For Immediate Release
Inmate Death – Kenneth Manzanares
7/14/2021 (Anchorage) – On July 14, 2021, inmate Kenneth Manzanares, 43, was pronounced
dead at Lemon Creek Correctional Center.
Manzanares was observed to be unresponsive in his cell at 6:59 a.m. Correctional officers and
medical staff responded and immediately began performing life saving measures until
emergency responders arrived on scene at 7:14 a.m. EMS pronounced Manzanares dead at
7:42 a.m.
Manzanares has been in DOC custody since July 26, 2017. He was a sentenced federal inmate
convicted of Second Degree Murder.
This death is the seventh in DOC custody this year. Next of kin have been notified. No foul play
is suspected. This death is not COVID-19 related.
Every prisoner death is reviewed by the Alaska State Troopers and the Medical Examiner’s
Office. Department records are generally not subject to release because they contain
confidential medical, security and personnel information.
###

upload_2021-7-16_21-14-43.png

I actually hope that this helps the children heal and move forward - as cold as that may sound. It would be hard knowing "dad" is in jail and feeling an obligation at some point in their life to visit him.

I think the Adderall as well as the testosterone played a role. There is such a thing as Adderall induced psychosis. Add that to the bullish strength from the steroids and he was a loose cannon waiting to shoot to kill. I won't let him use the prescriptions as a defense though. He chose to abuse them. He made his choices and he killed his wife because of his choices.

Add that to the bullish strength from the steroids and he was a loose cannon waiting to shoot to kill. I won't let him use the prescriptions as a defense though. He chose to abuse them. He made his choices and he killed his wife because of his choices.
^^rsbm

From the court docs, KM legally obtained prescription drugs and he chose to abuse them -- especially the steroids -- doubling the testosterone. When his behavior was out of control, he was told to go home, and he reacted violently-- killing Kristy with his bare hands.

I will not be surprised to learn that the convicted had a hand in his own death. He believed 7.5 years was a fair sentence! MOO

Cocomod & Seattle1, I appreciate and agree with both of your posts. He committed a horrible, horrible crime.... he knew it was wrong, and he didn't care. He was capable of lucid conversation before, and after the commission of his crime.

Utah man who killed his wife on Alaska cruise dies in prison

July 16, 2021

SALT LAKE CITY (KUTV) — Corrections officials in Alaska announced a Utah man who was serving a 30-year prison sentence for killing his wife on a cruise ship has died.

[,,]

“No foul play is suspected. This death is not COVID-19 related,” a statement from the DOC says.

The DOC adds that Manzanares’ death will be investigated by the Alaska State Troopers and the Medical Examiner’s Office.

^^rsbm

From the court docs, KM legally obtained prescription drugs and he chose to abuse them -- especially the steroids -- doubling the testosterone. When his behavior was out of control, he was told to go home, and he reacted violently-- killing Kristy with his bare hands.

I will not be surprised to learn that the convicted had a hand in his own death. He believed 7.5 years was a fair sentence! MOO
Morning Seattle1.. Did/does the defendant speak in court and request the judge give him a "light weight sentence" (7.5 yrs) or is this something his attorneys requested?
You tend to have good instincts on these matters.... would a female defense attorney have a difficult time sitting next to this guy? (No matter how close the bailiffs were to him.)
so so so tragic
ps. I just googled Why Do Men Need Testosterone Injections ... oh yuck! TMI.

Last edited:
Morning Seattle1.. Did/does the defendant speak in court and request the judge give him a "light weight sentence" (7.5 yrs) or is this something his attorneys requested?
You tend to have good instincts on these matters.... would a female defense attorney have a difficult time sitting next to this guy? (No matter how close the bailiffs were to him.)
so so so tragic
ps. I just googled Why Do Men Need Testosterone Injections ... oh yuck! TMI.
In federal court, the penalty for 2nd-degree murder can be any term of years to life. Also, a sentencing memorandum is prepared for the court by both the defense and government prosecution (see link for 38-page document).

It was KM's defense that proposed the defendant be sentenced to 90 months in prison with 5 yrs supervised release.

By all accounts, KM was a model prisoner and he did not appear to have any issues with his lawyers where they reported feeling threatened by him. Most of his court appearances were virtual or by video appearance.

At the time of his death, KM was also waiting for his transfer to federal prison. The defense had requested a facility located in AZ.

GUILTY - AK - Kristy Manzanares, 39, killed aboard Emerald Princess, Juneau, 25 July 2017 *husband arrested*

What do you all make of troopers and the ME investigating? Could it be an OD and they’re investigating how he got the drugs? What other scenarios would merit this sort of an investigation?
Unless he hung himself I have no idea (or a handmade knife?) could he have had a heart attack with the drug abuse?
I wonder if they will release the autopsy results?

Unless he hung himself I have no idea (or a handmade knife?) could he have had a heart attack with the drug abuse?
I wonder if they will release the autopsy results?

I don't believe there were visible signs to explain his death such as hanging or knife. I think DOC will eventually release his cause of death but not the records.

Manzanares was observed to be unresponsive in his cell at 6:59 a.m. Correctional officers and medical staff responded and immediately began performing life saving measures until emergency responders arrived on scene at 7:14 a.m. EMS pronounced Manzanares dead at 7:42 a.m.

[..]

Every prisoner death is reviewed by the Alaska State Troopers and the Medical Examiner’s Office. Department records are generally not subject to release because they contain confidential medical, security and personnel information.

https://doc.alaska.gov/commish/pressreleases/Inmate Death, Manzanares, 07.14.2021.pdf

Overdose Deaths In State Prisons Have Jumped Dramatically Since 2001

July 15, 2021

[..]

Prisons and jails in the United States have been increasingly deadly places in recent years, according to new federal data. But one cause of death has climbed most dramatically: overdoses.

[..]

Drugs get into prisons and jails in a variety of ways, according to current and former prisoners and staff, including through visitors and packages and letters to incarcerated people. Friends and family can tuck strips of paper soaked with drugs into mail or books, and if they get past the mail room, people in prison can eat them, or roll them up and smoke them. Incoming prisoners can swallow drugs or hide them in body cavities.

Prison staff are often responsible as well: During the pandemic, even though visitation from family and friends was suspended, attorney visits were restricted, and teachers, tutors, and volunteers stayed home, drugs got into many prisons anyway. As The Marshall Project reported, the number of incarcerated people disciplined or charged for drugs actually increased during the pandemic in Texas prisons.

[..]

In the Alaska prison system, the biggest problem was methamphetamines, said Aprelle McCarty, who retired in 2019 after 14 years as a correctional officer there, where overdose rates are fourth highest in the nation. "It would come in waves. When the pruno — which was the homemade alcohol that they would make with fruit — when we started seeing a lot of that being made, then we'd know, ok, there's not as many drugs in the prison because they're turning to pruno."

[..]

In a statement, Alaska corrections department spokesperson Betsy Holley said, "Alaska DOC takes the introduction of contraband into facilities very seriously," and said the state has recently secured funding for body scanners and a new drug-sniffing dog.

When people overdose behind bars, getting them help is difficult, said several current and former prisoners and staff in interviews — whether because a prisoner code prohibits asking for help, or because understaffed or apathetic correctional officers don't respond quickly, or at all.

"If you seek help for your overdosing celly, that is tantamount to snitching," said Enrique Alan Olivares-Pelayo, who served four years in Arizona prisons on drug and trespassing charges. If the staff found drugs on anyone, the entire unit would lose visitation, have their cells searched, and be monitored more closely, said Olivares-Pelayo. "You'd be watching someone turn blue and be on the fence about whether you should call for help or not because of the consequences of, what's this going to mean for everyone else."

[..]

"Narcotics were always more prevalent in facilities where the officers were getting paid less," said Adam Barger, who served 25 years of an Alaska prison sentence, including stints in private prisons that Alaska contracted with in Colorado and Arizona. Barger said friends and family outside could wire money to certain correctional officers, who could earn upwards of $1,000 just for picking up a package and bringing it into work with them.

[..]

"As you apply such pressure on the supply, trying to detect and intercept the distribution of drugs, you're creating pressure for ever more potent, ever more compact alternatives," he says. "There's always been drugs in prisons, but right now the supply is much more toxic."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back