Identified! AL - Bibb Co, WhtMal UP13483, 14-17, MVA/hitchhiker, tattoo: RY + LOVE Mar'61 - Daniel Armantrout

Hindsight definitely will do that for sure! With Bobby in particular they initially misidentified him as being of hispanic descent and they had been speculating he was a part of a harvesting group that passed through the area annually. His father also kept him alive longer than his mother by atleast two months and their remains were found in different stages with Bobby being skeletal and his Mom being within hours after death. I always wondered if they would have connected the dots if he was known to be of Asian descent from the beginning. Bobby's was a pet case of mine for the past 10 years or so.

With Danny's identification being through genetic ancestry would that make it any easier to find David? Another question I have about codis is which cases qualify to be added and which doesn't?

I didn't follow Bobby's case, but I recall his DN page stated the remains were biracial, one parent being Asian, but I don't know how recently it was changed or updated.
I think it's different for adding a criminal's DNA to CODIS, but when it comes to unidentified remains, my understanding is it's voluntary. I believe it's up to the agency handling their case whether it ends up there, and that's if there's sufficient DNA for profiling. Unless mandated by that agency's state law. I read there are a couple of states which require reporting to NamUs.

The family moved a lot apparently, plus we don’t know if they stayed long enough in places to ever be photographed for a yearbook.
According to another article from a Alabama website they moved to Paris Tennessee in 1958. So surely there should be at least two year books that he had been in. He didn’t runaway until January 1961

We are excited to learn about the identification of Daniel Paul Armentrout, an Alabama hitchhiker who was killed in a car crash in 1961, never identified until now. The story is described in detail in a New York Times article this month.

In February 2021, Astrea was sent bone powder from a tibia and a tooth root sampled from the Bibb County Doe. We extracted DNA using 100 mg of bone powder from each sample, yielding a total of >5 ng and >40 ng of DNA, respectively.

As announced by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children: “Genealogy efforts led by Identifinders International LLC developed the resulting lead but a significant amount of work by others helped pave the way. #NCMEC worked alongside Bibb County in 2016 and exhumed the remains so that contemporary biometric and forensic testing could be applied. Astrea Forensics and Hudson Alpha Discovery developed the sufficient DNA file used for the genealogy research; and listeners to Gray Hughes Investigates YouTube channel raised the funds needed to cover the expenses. Every resolve is a team effort lead by talented professionals motivated to give these unidentified children their names back.
Astrea Forensics — Success stories in the news

Danny's older brother David is still missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back