AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #5

I see that differently … she’s completely unhirable in the state of Georgia, and probably beyond that. Any hope of a nursing certification - shot, gone. Any hope of a career, really, is gone. Any hope of ever ordering a pizza with her full name and not being “that woman.” I’m not sure she’s repentant … I’m posting this in part because if she gets picked up again in five years for shoplifting or white collar whatever, let it be said that we all marked this moment, where if she decided to turn it around she probably could but it was going to be really hard to do. She might blow it again. But I think this punishment is achieving some of its objective ($18,000 would’ve felt like Everest to me at that age) and I think the fact that her name and legacy are completely blown is enough for me. I hope we live in a place where, if she’s truly repentant, she gets another chance long-term.

Her parents will pay the bill. The 100 hours of community service, will probably be something easy, and I have no doubt she will be a complete PITA. Probably show up with a laundry list of issues, from allergies to limitations on standing, sitting, or lifting.

This charge can pretty much be waived as a "stress related" episode. It isn't being treated too seriously. I don't see this as a barrier to employment or further education. Hardly anyone will even mention it or remember it. She could probably even get accepted to a nursing program if she wants.

Her parents will pay the bill. The 100 hours of community service, will probably be something easy, and I have no doubt she will be a complete PITA. Probably show up with a laundry list of issues, from allergies to limitations on standing, sitting, or lifting.

This charge can pretty much be waived as a "stress related" episode. It isn't being treated too seriously. I don't see this as a barrier to employment or further education. Hardly anyone will even mention it or remember it. She could probably even get accepted to a nursing program if she wants.
I’m about to take an incredibly cool job, one I’ve worked maybe 20 years for - my background check came through this morning and successfully cleared - and it contains mention of a two point speeding violation I got in 2011. How brutal do you think this girl’s professional background check will look FOREVER? Would you hire her, if you saw all this in black and white? She’s finito. I like your optimism tho.

I’m about to take an incredibly cool job, one I’ve worked maybe 20 years for - my background check came through this morning and successfully cleared - and it contains mention of a two point speeding violation I got in 2011. How brutal do you think this girl’s professional background check will look FOREVER? Would you hire her, if you saw all this in black and white? She’s finito. I like your optimism tho.

I have found jobs for child abusers, with felony records. This is nothing. People go to jail all of the time, and still get jobs. People get out of prison, they go to work. That is what vocational rehabilitation is all about.

Right now, with jobs everywhere, she could probably get a job doing almost anything. Especially in food service.

Do you really think that the person who sold you your last car needed a 20 year background check? Nope. The person who towed your car into the shop? I helped a guy get a job driving a tow truck years ago, he had child rape charges. He now owns a fleet of tow trucks. (Which is like basically having a money printing machine). He still stays in touch with me.

In the world of private sector business, the employer wants someone who will show up to work.

Off topic, but I wanted to let you know, that a conviction is definitely not a barrier to employment. A bad attitude though, and criminal thinking is the issue. That will be her barrier. MOO, is that she lives life as a diva, and gets whatever she wants. This stunt was to get attention. She needs a lot of mental health treatment. I hope she gets it.

I have found jobs for child abusers, with felony records. This is nothing. People go to jail all of the time, and still get jobs. People get out of prison, they go to work. That is what vocational rehabilitation is all about.

Right now, with jobs everywhere, she could probably get a job doing almost anything. Especially in food service.

Do you really think that the person who sold you your last car needed a 20 year background check? Nope. The person who towed your car into the shop? I helped a guy get a job driving a tow truck years ago, he had child rape charges. He now owns a fleet of tow trucks. (Which is like basically having a money printing machine). He still stays in touch with me.

In the world of private sector business, the employer wants someone who will show up to work.

Off topic, but I wanted to let you know, that a conviction is definitely not a barrier to employment. A bad attitude though, and criminal thinking is the issue. That will be her barrier. MOO, is that she lives life as a diva, and gets whatever she wants. This stunt was to get attention. She needs a lot of mental health treatment. I hope she gets it.
I want to say that I’m glad that there are people in the world like you, who help the lowest of the MOO: bottomfeeding scum get second chances. Good for society, I think. Glad others are spared from doing it.

I want to say that I’m glad that there are people in the world like you, who help the lowest of the MOO: bottomfeeding scum get second chances. Good for society, I think. Glad others are spared from doing it.

People make mistakes. We have to make room for people in society who want to move forward. I hope this young woman takes this opportunity to change. Compassion and understanding goes a long way.

The court made a decision. Regardless of what others may think she "deserved". So, it is time for her to decide what to do next. And I hope she is successful and has learned a lesson.

From the People article linked above:

[…]

State prosecutor Clark Morris, who had argued that Russell should spend time behind bars – suggesting she could even just come to jail just for nights or weekends – told the judge, per AL.com, that the case boiled down to “respect for law enforcement and respect for this community as a whole.”

“Miss Russell faked a kidnapping, duped the community, and contrived this situation,” he said. “We, judge, still don’t know, to this day where she was, how she got there, what she was doing, and with whom she was doing it.”

In an emailed statement to PEOPLE after the sentencing, Chief Counsel Katherine Robertson said the sentencing was expected.

"We are disappointed, but not surprised, that Ms. Russell did not get the requested jail time for her crimes," she said.

"Current law provides a weak penalty for false reporting and fails to account for situations, like Ms. Russell’s, that result in a significant law enforcement response. Fortunately, the Governor will soon receive our legislation to increase penalties for false reporting when an imminent threat is alleged and will expand the amount of restitution that can be sought. The next time law enforcement resources are needlessly wasted in this manner, the offender will be forever labeled a felon."

[…]
these days many judges are way too lenient---she needs to be taught a real-life lesson---

“I made a grave mistake while trying to fight through various emotional issues and stress,” Russell told the judge, as AL.com reported. "I absolutely regret my decision and in hindsight wish I had cried for help in a totally different manner. My prayer is that I will be extended grace and be given the opportunity to redeem who I truly am and restore the positively esteemed character that I have worked so hard to obtain for the 25 years of my life prior to this incident."

“I made a grave mistake while trying to fight through various emotional issues and stress,” Russell told the judge, as AL.com reported. "I absolutely regret my decision and in hindsight wish I had cried for help in a totally different manner. My prayer is that I will be extended grace and be given the opportunity to redeem who I truly am and restore the positively esteemed character that I have worked so hard to obtain for the 25 years of my life prior to this incident."
I am a fan of mercy. Recovery not recidivism. But, that being said, a couple of weeks in jail might've done her some good.

Nice words- hope she means them

$17,000 in restitution... good.

Her parents will just pay it for her. She’s never going to learn with those two bailing her out of everything. I think something like a couple years of community service with DV or similar victims would have been a better option in this case. It’s actually sad, because she will never grow into a normal functioning adult

Her parents will just pay it for her. She’s never going to learn with those two bailing her out of everything. I think something like a couple years of community service with DV or similar victims would have been a better option in this case. It’s actually sad, because she will never grow into a normal functioning adult
She did get community service, though I don't think it came with specifics. She's already an adult, and it's already too late. Unless she did hard time, and even then, nothing will change for her. At least this way the government isn't paying for her misdeeds twice! (The search/investigation AND incarceration.) If her parents pay it, at least it's paid.

Actually, having someone who has a bad attitude as a "volunteer" is just more work for staff, who have more than enough work as it is. Carlee has zero to offer DV victims. Personally, just have her hang up clothes at Goodwill or something, where she won't bother anyone.

I agree that 100 hours of jail would have been a better sentence. The community service hours are more of a sentence to whoever will supervise her, INMO.

Actually, having someone who has a bad attitude as a "volunteer" is just more work for staff, who have more than enough work as it is. Carlee has zero to offer DV victims. Personally, just have her hang up clothes at Goodwill or something, where she won't bother anyone.

I agree that 100 hours of jail would have been a better sentence. The community service hours are more of a sentence to whoever will supervise her, INMO.
I agree. And people she would encounter in working with DV victims or similar issues should not be sentenced to being props in her performance. MOO.

I just don’t think jail is going to have an affect on her. It’d be a waste of tax money. She needs something to knock her back down to reality and off of her high horse. I don’t really see jail doing that

Obviously written carefully by someone else. Sigh.

In my heart, I hope she has actually learned a life lesson. I do think several days in jail would have been a humbling reminder, symbolic to the equal number of days she was "missing".

I have no doubt her lawyers wrote her "confession", but I also hope at the same time her lawyers also imparted on her the gravity of her actions. The Judge did rightfully point out that her case and example sparked nation wide attention and concern.

I do think she looked contrite when she made her admittance of guilt, I think she might have finally understood the magnitude of her foolish and selfish actions.

IMO, she was extremely lucky to have gotten off with such a light penalty.

JMO

@Puzzles8 I think that this may have almost been better served in Mental Health court. I think that making Mental health counseling would have been a good idea here, mandatory, court ordered.

A solid diagnosis would probably be helpful for Carlee, her family, and be a direction to help her with finding a good job.

@Puzzles8 I think that this may have almost been better served in Mental Health court. I think that making Mental health counseling would have been a good idea here, mandatory, court ordered.

A solid diagnosis would probably be helpful for Carlee, her family, and be a direction to help her with finding a good job.
Not criticizing you at all. I can't agree with you more. I think CR's lawyers have helped her understand the great error of her ways.

My question is how many Judges are routinely educated as to this option of how and when to refer someone to Mental Health Court??

JMO

Was it ever established if she was actually at the Red Roof getting food delivery?
It’s probably a ding on my character that I’m even curious. But … there was just always something to me mentally about her with her slippers and shower cap getting DoorDash. Was it ever factually determined if she was there the whole time? Curious.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back