AL - Gilbert Collar, 18, fatally shot by campus police, Mobile, 5 Oct 2012

from my (above) link:

On the video, Collar walks slowly toward a campus police station door once and then walks away. Seconds later, he walks back to the station and pounds violently on a glass window. He then walks away from the police station again before an officer, Trevis Austin, comes out with his gun drawn and pointed at the naked student. Collar approaches Austin with his arms outstretched and palms open toward Austin.

They move around the porch, with Collar kneeling at one point, then getting to his feet and again walking toward Austin. The officer keeps backing away from Collar, his gun pointed at the student, as Collar approaches. The two move into the yard, where the view of the camera is partially blocked by the porch columns and lighting. Less than 30 seconds after Austin came out of the building, the video shows Collar falling after having been shot.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...atal-shooting-article-1.1181371#ixzz295jJP0yn

So he had no weapon?? This is ridiculous. There had to be another option.....

So let's see now.... A person takes drugs, runs around naked trying to attack people, and gets shot while acting aggressively towards a police officer and it's someone else's fault?

These things are going to keep happening as long as we keep transferring blame and coddling kids. It's no ones fault but the person who took drugs in the first place.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

If this all happened fast then I can't fault the officer. He did try to call for backup and since they were right outside the police station if no one came that implies it did happen fast.

People strung out on drugs can be very dangerous, they can feel no pain and have near superhuman strength. Most folks would gun down a crazed naked drug fueled male that was banging on their windows and coming after them (I certainly would), I think because it is a police officer everyone expects them to act like the threat was not real?

So let's see now.... A person takes drugs, runs around naked trying to attack people, and gets shot while acting aggressively towards a police officer and it's someone else's fault?

These things are going to keep happening as long as we keep transferring blame and coddling kids. It's no ones fault but the person who took drugs in the first place.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ITA and yet the family will probably still win a settlement, which comes out of the TAXPAYERS pockets and the officer will have to suffer through an internal review as well as go through the courtcase and he likely has PTSD because well, that's what happens when we're forced to kill people

(I don't even understand the quote about charging the person who supplied him with drugs with murder

he's 18, he chose to take it, and the drug didn't kill him anyway ...)

(I don't even understand the quote about charging the person who supplied him with drugs with murder he's 18, he chose to take it, and the drug didn't kill him anyway ...)

I think it means someone has to be blamed here (the cop, the person that supplied the drugs etc...) and the blame CANNOT be placed on the guy that chose to take the drugs then ran around naked attacking a police station.

He is now a "victim" and victims are never at fault for anything!

If anyone other than the kid himself should be taking blame it is the folks he was when he took the drugs (if it was drugs). I thought if folks took hallucinogens they were supposed to have a sober party along to babysit and prevent stuff like this from happening? Yet the people that should have watched out for him are probably the ones screaming how it is all the cops fault.

This kid could have just as easily tried to enter someone's home and got shot, or approached a stranger and got shot, or just got run over by a car for that matter.

APNewsBreak: Officer had baton, spray in shooting

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=4&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_NKNWU00L4_UNEWS

A University of South Alabama campus police officer was carrying not just his gun but also pepper spray and a baton the night he shot and killed an unarmed freshman student, the school said Friday............

It's unclear why the officer went for his gun first, but the sheriff has said the decision was proper.

Authorities said Collar, a 5-foot-7, 140-pound high school wrestler in his first semester of college, was on LSD when he moved aggressively toward the officer in an athletic stance to prompt the shooting. But surveillance video showed the student never tried to grab the officer's weapon or got within 4 or 5 feet of Austin.

More at link....

A University of South Alabama campus police officer was carrying not just his gun but also pepper spray and a baton the night he shot and killed an unarmed freshman student, the school said Friday............

Did you know PCP was originally developed and used as an anesthetic? Doctors were using it to perform surgery on conscious patients until they realized it also leads to violent dangerous patient actions in the operating room.

So you have someone that may be crazy violent and feels absolutely no pain....do you really think using a baton or pepper spray is going to help you if they get a hold of you? Do you really think going up and hitting them with a stick is a good idea? Cause fact is it will NOT HELP YOU and if the violent individual decides to beat you to death or eat your face off they won't stop until they are DEAD.

Violent and "feels no pain" higher than a kite is a very scary situation. Police know that seeing as how they have training in those matters, seeing as how it is their JOB.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/290476-overview

Did you know PCP was originally developed and used as an anesthetic? Doctors were using it to perform surgery on conscious patients until they realized it also leads to violent dangerous patient actions in the operating room.

So you have someone that may be crazy violent and feels absolutely no pain....do you really think using a baton or pepper spray is going to help you if they get a hold of you? Do you really think going up and hitting them with a stick is a good idea? Cause fact is it will NOT HELP YOU and if the violent individual decides to beat you to death or eat your face off they won't stop until they are DEAD.

Violent and "feels no pain" higher than a kite is a very scary situation. Police know that seeing as how they have training in those matters, seeing as how it is their JOB.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/290476-overview

I don't understand why this is addressed to me personally....I expressed no opinion, it is just a quote from the news article linked....I appreciate the medical info....

I don't understand why this is addressed to me personally....I expressed no opinion, it is just a quote from the news article linked....I appreciate the medical info....

Ahhh...sorry. You didn't use "quotes" and I read it quickly and thought you were saying he should have used pepper spray or a baton.

Ahhh...sorry. You didn't use "quotes" and I read it quickly and thought you were saying he should have used pepper spray or a baton.

No, I was not saying that and have not really made up my mind about what I think about this situation. I'm wondering why the people around Collar before this incident who were trying to restrain him, did not call 911 or an ambulance to take him to a hospital since he was obviously out of control and needed help.

I also do wish the officer, since he had called for backup, had waited on them before he went out to confront the boy...they arrived in 2 min. and I think with more people he could possibly have been restrained without the shooting.

However, since all info is not known I'm going to wait on the final determination by LE and the grand jury...it's just a shame for the loss of the boy, the officer's record and the parents' devastation. I hope students will pay attention to this episode and learn a lesson from it....

Ala. college asks court to toss suit over shooting

http://www.wsfa.com/story/20583431/ala-college-asks-court-to-toss-suit-over-shooting

MOBILE, Ala. (AP) - The University of South Alabama and its police chief want a judge to dismiss a lawsuit filed by the parents of a nude student who was shot to death by a campus police officer.

Both the school and university police chief Zeke Aull argued in court documents that they are immune from being sued under state law in the October death of freshman Gil Collar, 18, of Wetumpka............

Aside from arguing he can't be held liable for Collar's death, Aull also asked a judge to refuse the demand to arm all school officers with the weapons, which are used to shock suspects into submission............

A judge has scheduled a hearing on the dismissal requests for Feb. 8 in Mobile.

Collar's parents also sued the officer identified by the university as firing the fatal shot, Trevis Austin, but he has not filed a response.............

The district attorney's office said it would investigate the shooting and ask grand jurors to consider whether to file charges, but the case hasn't gotten that far yet.

"It just takes time to get all the information together to present it," Deborah Tillman, the chief assistant district attorney, said Monday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uncommongrackle
Back