AL - Second baby in a month surrendered in Safe Haven box in Madison

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
Safe Haven Baby Box

A newborn girl was left in the Safe Haven Baby Box at the Madison Fire Department Sunday, Jan.21, 2024.

A baby has been surrendered for the second time in a month at Madison Fire & Rescue’s Station No. 1.

The City of Madison announced the baby was taken to Madison Hospital by HEMSI for medical care.

The Department of Human Resources has also been notified.

The first newborn left in a Safe Haven Baby Box in Alabama came at the same station on Jan. 21, just 12 days after the baby box opened at that location

Safe Haven Baby Box

A newborn girl was left in the Safe Haven Baby Box at the Madison Fire Department Sunday, Jan.21, 2024.

A baby has been surrendered for the second time in a month at Madison Fire & Rescue’s Station No. 1.

The City of Madison announced the baby was taken to Madison Hospital by HEMSI for medical care.

The Department of Human Resources has also been notified.

The first newborn left in a Safe Haven Baby Box in Alabama came at the same station on Jan. 21, just 12 days after the baby box opened at that location
So thankful that the baby is safe and that the mother made the decision to take the baby to the Safe Haven Baby Box.
I hope this wee one, and the previous baby that was placed in the box find loving homes.

Wisconsin News:
MARSHFIELD, Wis.(WAOW)-- Bonnie Potter and Kristin Glass have teamed up to create a 'Safe Haven Baby Box' in central Wisconsin. The box is used as a drop-off for new moms that may be feeling a bit unsure about motherhood.

The box allows people to safely, securely, and anonymously surrender their babies without any shame. There are no cameras outside of the box, but there is one inside.

After a mom or person assisting a parent has placed the baby inside the box sensors within the box will alert first responders.

The box is also being tied to a law called 'Safe Haven' also known as 'infant relinquishment

Love to see these boxes being used for their intended purpose, but I really, really don't like dropoffs being publicized with dates. This could result in violence against the mother.

Some mothers will use these to avoid being trapped by an abuser.

Love to see these boxes being used for their intended purpose, but I really, really don't like dropoffs being publicized with dates. This could result in violence against the mother.

Some mothers will use these to avoid being trapped by an abuser.
That’s a great point I’ve never considered. Overall, I don’t like the publicity. I think it’s fine to say in this period of time, x number of babies have been deposited in the boxes. But leave it at that.

And god bless those ladies for surrendering their babies.

I am a huge supporter of Safe Haven baby boxes. Indiana has more Safe Haven boxes than any other state. The busiest baby box in the country is only 2 miles from my home.

Safe Haven now has 170 baby boxes in 12 states, 108 in Indiana. Carmel was its seventh baby box to be installed — in 2018 — and is the only one with more than two infants dropped off.

Carmel fire officials don’t know why the babies were abandoned or who adopts them, unless the family contacts them, which has happened with just one of babies.

A local family adopted the second baby and visited Station 345, hugging the firefighters and thanking them.

Moriarty said firefighters gave them a scrapbook with pictures of the baby and the crew and the birthday cake; they have other scrapbooks waiting if more families choose to visit and an open door policy

Firefighter adopts Safe Haven baby

In a heartwarming turn of events that sounds more like the plot of a feel-good movie than real life, a firefighter in the United States has adopted a newborn girl he discovered in a “Safe Haven Baby Box” in Florida. This firefighter chose to share his story publicly, hoping to reassure the biological mother that her child is loved and well-cared for.

I wish that Safe Haven baby boxes were available in all states!

From the above linked article:

The journey of this little girl, named Zoey by her new family, began on the night of January 2, 2023, in Ocala, Florida. The firefighter, who has chosen to remain anonymous, was on duty when he heard the alarm from the baby box around 2 AM. Initially skeptical, thinking it might be a false alarm, he was taken aback to find a baby girl, swaddled in a pink blanket, lying inside the box

The only issue I have is with the technical limitations of these specific boxes: can they be kept warm for long enough for someone to get to them on time? I live in a part of the world where -40° isn’t unheard of; even five minutes in those temperatures could kill a newborn.

*Articles posted within the last 24 hours:

The only issue I have is with the technical limitations of these specific boxes: can they be kept warm for long enough for someone to get to them on time? I live in a part of the world where -40° isn’t unheard of; even five minutes in those temperatures could kill a newborn.
They are temperature controlled, and opening the box triggers 911 plus sets off an alarm inside the fire station.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back