GUILTY AL - Summer Moody, 17, fatally shot in Gravine Island burglary attempt, 15 April 2013

Regardless of whether the average American really knows when to shoot, plenty of States have a "shoot first" law ... like Alabama and Florida. It's legal.

Are the burglars claiming that they were running away when they were discovered burglarizing private property? That doesn't sound possible. It's more likely that they were in the process of burglarizing and vandalizing property when they were surpised by men with guns ... that were used.

BBM

She was shot in the back of the head. I think that pretty much sums it up.

BBM

She was shot in the back of the head. I think that pretty much sums it up.

She was most likely running in the dark and very likely was looking at the ground to see where she was going. A stray bullet shot into the air could very well have entered the back of the head and exited the front.

Regardless of whether the average American really knows when to shoot, plenty of States have a "shoot first" law ... like Alabama and Florida. It's legal.

Are the burglars claiming that they were running away when they were discovered burglarizing private property? That doesn't sound possible. It's more likely that they were in the process of burglarizing and vandalizing property when they were surpised by men with guns ... that were used.

Read post 4 on page one of this thread. There is a quote by the deputy saying that the men chased them across the island and then fired shots.

http://blog.al.com/live/2012/04/summer_moodys_familys_attorney.html

The three teens who were with Moody that Sunday -- Scott Byrd and Dylan Tyree, both of Stapleton, and Daniel Parnell of Bay Minette -- have been charged as adults with first-degree burglary. Byrd has been released from jail on bail. The other two remain in the Baldwin County's jail.

Also, more at link on Summers condition.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/23/s...alabama-girl-compared-to-trayvon-martin-case/

Moody is still alive, but an attorney for her family has said she has a very little chance of survival.

Sounds that even if she does survive she will never be the same person mentally.

Sad, but this appears to be a clear case of someone defending their property. They were commiting a crime and it appears there may even be evidence to suggest they had weapons of their own. I do hope she survives, but I agree, she will never be the same. 17-years-old! So young. So much life to live and a night of criminal acts have changed her and the three young boys with her, lives forever. In Florida, if she would die, the three other teens would be charged with her murder. I don't know if the same law applies in Alabama?

ATF is now involved in the investigation on whether they should have had guns.

"(BALDWIN COUNTY, Ala.) LOCAL 15 News has learned the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is looking into the Gravine Island case. ATF spokesperson Mike Messinger says his agency is only looking at whether or not the three fishermen on the island should have had guns."

http://www.local15tv.com/news/local...avine-Island-Case/WkERaq19TEC-mB0ButRcog.cspx

Is that really something that needs to be investigated? Are felons allowed to have guns in Alabama?

"The Baldwin County District Attorney’s Office and the Sheriff’s Office are working to determine whether the shooting was justified. The ATF investigation has focused on whether Hearn and another member of his party, Larry Dean Duncan, were legally prohibited from having guns as a result of felony drug convictions."

http://blog.al.com/live/2012/04/attorneys_for_summer_moody_cam.html

I'm sorry, but that was no 'warning shot'. A warning shot is used to make someone back off. The articles now seem to agree that the kids had already run away, and that Summer had even had time to hide in the bushes. Thus, this was a 'and don't come back!' shot, which is not a justified use of a firearm. This was an act of reckless anger, and as often happens in such cases, it has resulted in unintended consequences that are IMO clearly of criminal origin.

All JMO.

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/local_news/baldwin_county/sheriffs-making-progress-in-moody-case

Summer Moody clings to life.

She's still listed in critical condition and unresponsive. Doctors have said the prognosis for her survival is 1 percent.

With that prognosis and her condition, the attorney says it appears Moody will likely be left in a vegetative state, or die.

The Sheriff's office says the three teenagers could face more charges in addition to the first-degree burglary charge they have already received.

Teenagers could face more charges? What about people who shot those guns and had criminal records?
Maybe somebody can explain to me why they want to throw the book at the teenagers while apparently doing absolutely nothing about the person who actually fired the shot. If they were protecting property, did this girl have any of their property with her? If it's legal in Alabama to protect property with deadly force, at least I would like to know if this girl actually had any of their property.

Teenagers could face more charges? What about people who shot those guns and had criminal records?
Maybe somebody can explain to me why they want to throw the book at the teenagers while apparently doing absolutely nothing about the person who actually fired the shot. If they were protecting property, did this girl have any of their property with her? If it's legal in Alabama to protect property with deadly force, at least I would like to know if this girl actually had any of their property.

Yeah this is all just making me sick, I'm trying to sit back and watch as it develops (by which I mean an investigation is done and someone skilled in physics can prove how little these shots meant to "warn") but it just seems this is all some stupid case for the "old folk" to throw the book (and a few un-needed bullets) at the "hooligans".

:moo:

Yeah this is all just making me sick, I'm trying to sit back and watch as it develops (by which I mean an investigation is done and someone skilled in physics can prove how little these shots meant to "warn") but it just seems this is all some stupid case for the "old folk" to throw the book (and a few un-needed bullets) at the "hooligans".

:moo:

Me too. We are gonna do this to teenagers, we are gonna do that to teenagers. I guess if this girl wasn't going to die or end up in vegetative state (those seems the be two most likely outcomes right now) they were gonna throw the book at her too. What about the ones with criminal history and guns? Crickets... From what has been reported this girl wasn't attacking anyone. She was hiding in the bushes.

Knowing what our sleuths have uncovered & having ATF involved, I believe it's just a matter of time until charges are brought against at least 1 adult. And, I think the teens will face more charges. It seems to me, everyone with the possible exception of the girl who was shot, was breaking laws that night.

Reports indicate Summer Moody, teen shot in Gravine Island incident, has passed away 12:51 AM

MOBILE, Alabama -- Social media reports indicate that Summer Moody, the teen injured in the Gravine Island shooting, died late Wednesday. She was 17.

http://www.al.com/mobile/

Reports indicate Summer Moody, teen shot in Gravine Island incident, has passed away 12:51 AM

MOBILE, Alabama -- Social media reports indicate that Summer Moody, the teen injured in the Gravine Island shooting, died late Wednesday. She was 17.

http://www.al.com/mobile/
How sad. I feel so sorry for her poor mother who thought she was spending the night with a girlfriend that night. I truly feel that the men who fired the shots should be charged, they alone decided to become judge, jury, and executioner for property theft, of property that was not even their own.. I am a gun proponent and I believe in protecting your LIFE, these men were not in fear for their lives, they heard this break-in from another camp, came over to investigate, chased the teens into the woods and fired on them... When we as a society believe it is okay to kill someone that we think is committing a crime, then things need to change. People in this very forum that are commenting that they think this is okay leave me SMH in saddness and fear for our future.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back