Alaska Airlines flight makes emergency landing after window blows out

Article from the Harvard Business School on the historical root causes of Boeing's problems with the 737 MAX

Article from the Harvard Business School on the historical root causes of Boeing's problems with the 737 MAX

This quote from their ex-CEO is quite telling: “When people say I changed the culture of Boeing, that was the intent, so that it is run like a business rather than a great engineering firm.”

The irony is that he was proud of this and thought he was deserving of commendation.

Last edited:

Well, right, instead of acquiring McDonnell Douglas and running the merger with Boeing CEOs, why borrow the failed CEOs from MDD? This being said, MDD was a great company from engineering standpoint. It didn’t diversify and hence, was occasionally prone to fall on bad times. But the CEOs… Stonecipher had to leave Boeing amidst a scandal, the guy can’t organize own life, what to expect from him as a CEO? On the other hand, why blame the CEOs of 20-30 years ago, they are old and enjoy great retirements. Too late.

This quote from their ex-CEO is quite telling: “When people say I changed the culture of Boeing, that was the intent, so that it is run like a business rather than a great engineering firm.”

The irony is that he was proud of this and thought he was deserving of commendation.
Reminds me of Stockton Rush's attitude.

A new problem has been found during the production of 737 Max jets that will force Boeing to rework about 50 planes that have not yet been delivered.

The problem was disclosed in a memo sent to Boeing (BA) employees Sunday by Stan Deal, the head of the company’s commercial aircraft unit. An employee at Boeing supplier Spirit AeroSystems, which makes the fuselages of the 737 Max jets, notified the plane maker that two holes may not have been drilled exactly to Boeing’s requirements, according to Deal’s memo.

“While this potential condition is not an immediate flight safety issue and all 737’s can continue operating safely, we currently believe we will have to perform rework on about 50 undelivered airplanes,” it said.

The news about the mis-drilled holes is just the latest blow to Boeing’s reputation, which has been battered repeatedly over the last five years, most recently by a terrifying accident aboard a 737 Max 9 flight on January 5.

An Alaska Airlines flight had a door plug blow out that day, leaving a gaping hole in the side of the plane. While the exact cause of the incident is not yet known, Boeing CEO David Calhoun told investors on Wednesday: “We caused the problem, and we understand that.”

“Whatever conclusions are reached, Boeing is accountable for what happened. Whatever the specific cause of the accident might turn out to be, an event like this simply must not happen on an airplane that leaves one of our factories,” he continued. “We simply must be better.”

Deal’s Sunday memo said Boeing’s 737 Max factory in Renton, Washington would “dedicate several days … this week to focus on this important work, reflecting the premium we place on quality, safety and, ultimately, stability in our factories.”

Well Boeing has cost Alaska Airlines our business, and we used to fly them 2-3x/year to Portland and back. We'll be using SouthWest Airlines for the foreseeable future.

Well Boeing has cost Alaska Airlines our business, and we used to fly them 2-3x/year to Portland and back. We'll be using SouthWest Airlines for the foreseeable future.
I don't know if you're aware, but Southwest flies the Boeing 737 exclusively. They are the world's largest operator of the 737 MAX (the aircraft variant which has had all the issues) with over 200 aircraft delivered compared to 50-something for Alaska.

If you want to avoid the MAX you should choose a different airline.

Last edited:

Afraid that air travel industry is simply something that is immediately noticeable. But it is the tip of the iceberg, that is, a huge manpower crisis seen everywhere. It could be medicine, it could be pharmacies, it could be assembly lines. Covid hit hard, and then, the opiate crisis, plus, the antinatalist movement. I think that what we are discussing perfectly applies to any area and possibly, any country.

I never fly Southwest, they only use 737 and 737 MAX.

Besides, I don’t like their “cattle car with wings” process of no assigned seats. I like to select my seat when I purchase my flight.

I always fly Delta, and I choose my flights and seats carefully.

Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board on Tuesday said evidence shows four bolts that hold the door plug in place on the Boeing 737 Max 9 were missing at the time of last month’s blowout on Alaska Airlines flight 1282. https://cnn.it/3unkuuW

NTSB issues the preliminary report for its ongoing investigation of the Jan. 5 Alaska Airlines flight 1282 door plug accident. The report is on the NTSB investigation web page: https://ntsb.gov/investigations/Pages/DCA24MA063.aspx

Investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board on Tuesday said evidence shows four bolts that hold the door plug in place on the Boeing 737 Max 9 were missing at the time of last month’s blowout on Alaska Airlines flight 1282. https://cnn.it/3unkuuW

NTSB issues the preliminary report for its ongoing investigation of the Jan. 5 Alaska Airlines flight 1282 door plug accident. The report is on the NTSB investigation web page: https://ntsb.gov/investigations/Pages/DCA24MA063.aspx
I saw this a bit ago. Stunning. But it makes sense how the door came out. It never made sense how it was even possible for this event to happen. Now we know. But it still raises even more new questions. How could it be the door is reinstalled without the bolts? What happened to the bolts? The individuals who did this actual work would be known, what are they saying?

I saw this a bit ago. Stunning. But it makes sense how the door came out. It never made sense how it was even possible for this event to happen. Now we know. But it still raises even more new questions. How could it be the door is reinstalled without the bolts? What happened to the bolts? The individuals who did this actual work would be known, what are they saying?

The NTSB report that @sds1 linked to above is quite interesting. They actually found a picture that a worker took during construction showing the door missing its bolts. The team was discussing restoring the interior after fixing some damage but somehow just didn't notice that the bolts weren't there.

boeing.jpg

A tire fell off a United Airlines flight as it took off from San Francisco International Airport on Thursday, initially bound for Japan. The diverted plane later landed safely at LAX.

"At approximately 11:35 a.m., United Flight 35 departing to Osaka lost a portion of landing gear tire during takeoff," a United representative said.

The tire debris landed in one of the airport's employee parking lots. There were no injuries reported.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back