Alicia Silverstone Posts How She Feeds Son

Uh, because now we know about germs and disease?

And because you want your child to be socialized at some time in the future and live with other human beings?

And also . . . this may sound obvious, but children can learn to chew up their food once they have teeth. Mommy may just be a little too overinvolved. :cow: JMOO

And I'm sure Alicia Silverstone can afford a blender or baby food grinder, which is what most of us use to make baby food.

I'll admit I had one sister-in-law who used to chew ice then put it into her baby's mouth. It grossed me out then (I was about 12 years old) and it grosses me out now (I'm 51).

Yeah, it might make more sense if we were talking about a very young baby. But has premastucation been a normal practice for a 10-month-old?

There is room for everyone and there is no reason to critisize something (not pointing this at any one person) that seems weird just because one wouldn't do it for one's family. I've seen farrrrrrr worse posted on the Crimes Against Children forum.

Okay, so if I can't applaud this unsanitary practice then I shouldn't respond to the post? Obviously, crimes against children is a different forum so that's like comparing apples with oranges. To sum it up, I said this was dirty, unnecessary and unnatural. But not in the same category as crimes against children, I thought that would be a given.

I shared my opinion on that practice because when you are a celebrity and you post that kind of stuff out in the open you know you're going to come under scrutiny and get attention. Those are my opinions and I stand by them.

This is not from what I understand just a one time chew food up and spit it in your child's mouth (that's very gross to me even if it's just once). This is an ongoing lifestyle.

Firstly, this is not natural. Which mother here, after having your baby, had the urge to eat and spit your food in their mouth? Ok, so they obviously don't eat solids for a while. But when you started feeding your toddler, did ANY of you ladies who've had a child, feel the urge to chew their food up and spit it in their mouth? Of course not! I mean, I am all for different parenting styles but this is just so, so gross. Monkeys play with their own feces, does that mean we're supposed to? And then, the germs, it's just wrong. And if I found out my Mom did this to me, I'd actually be pretty pissed off at her. I'd be like, "Mom that was so sick that you did that to me." Ewww Alicia, you're gross...

Like, I have slept with my son every night since he was born, as I wrote, I have breastfed him for four long years, things that most parents don't do. But so many Moms now a days, they are just googling crap and going on these insanely competitive mothering message boards and copying what other moms do just to get "mommy cred". Organic, alternative, attatchment... these are all just buzzwords in this strange mommy subculture. I'm sorry if I sound rude but I'm just sick of these pissing contests.

[bbm]

what if your son finds out that you breastfed him for four years and decides it was wrong? :waitasec: what if he says it was sick that you did that to him?

I'm not judging ... just curious

I find this concerning, but not for the reasons mentioned. Chewing strengthens the muscles needed for speech development. Some foods can be mashed between the gums, even before teeth have erupted.

I wonder how long she plans on chewing his food for him and if she has consulted a pediatrician regarding necessary muscle development for proper speech.

Kids don't bf into their teens....never heard of a case where that's happened. At least she feeds her kid, unlike some parents. He also has plenty of time to learn how to use a fork and knife...I doubt this would go on long term...good grief.

As if I meant it serious, good grief...

Goz

Well, that's gross. If I were her, I wouldn't have gone public with that.

But aside from being disgusting, I guess there's nothing actually wrong with it. I wouldn't want somebody's chewed up crap in my mouth, but then, I wouldn't want somebody's breast in my mouth either, so who knows.

Okay, so if I can't applaud this unsanitary practice then I shouldn't respond to the post? Obviously, crimes against children is a different forum so that's like comparing apples with oranges. To sum it up, I said this was dirty, unnecessary and unnatural. But not in the same category as crimes against children, I thought that would be a given.

I shared my opinion on that practice because when you are a celebrity and you post that kind of stuff out in the open you know you're going to come under scrutiny and get attention. Those are my opinions and I stand by them.

This is not from what I understand just a one time chew food up and spit it in your child's mouth (that's very gross to me even if it's just once). This is an ongoing lifestyle.

Hey, I've thought for years Alicia Silverstone should be in more stuff, and then this came out. Now she is on a show I watch, and every time she speaks, all I get are mental images of her chewing up food and SPITTING it in her son's mouth, I am totally grossed out, and the sooner she is off this show the better I will like it.

Yeah, I'm a rebel against political correctness gone wild. This is a disgusting habit and I don't mind saying so. 'Crimes Against Children' forum, really? So what, it's like, well, as long as you aren't locking your kid in a doggie kennel and starving him, we'll say it's okay to spit in his mouth? I saw a movie or read a book about some guy back in the pioneer days being very sick, and the Indian squaw taking care of him was chewing up food and feeding it to him. That made sense, but this, this is nasty and totally unnecessary.

MOO ;)

Well I realize she has not made a movie or show of any substance in a while but surely she has enough money to buy a food processor. We had this thing for our kids where we put the food down a tube and there was a piece that pushed the food up while you ground it. Kind of like a pepper mill. I am cool with people wanting to be close to their children breastfeeding or co-sleeping (although I was terrified of co-sleeping). We had some folks we know who lost a child from co-sleeping. Anyway, it seems rather nasty considering what we know about germs and the technological advancements we have today to feed your child like a bird. I do not have anything to say in her defense on that one.

... but, she's not a bird... and neither is he? Am I missing something here"

You summed up my feelings on the topic!

My sons biological mother did this once during a supervised visit when he was around two months old. I thought my head would explode!!!! The facilitator couldn't have cared less.... Scary stuff

Premastication, has been used throughout all time.
This does not shock me, it is not stupid or cruel. Mum's digestive enzymes in her saliva make the food easier for the baby to digest. Not my cup of tea but I wouldn't condemn someone else for doing it.

Baby is happy, what else matters?

Did anyone read the article badhorsie provided? A quote:
  • Provides immediate and long-term immunological resistance to infections and inhibits immunological hypersensitivity such as asthma through the antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, growth factors, and nutrient transporters in the mother's saliva.[3] Premastication may itself promote the development of infant immune systems through antibody generators in the mother's saliva, which help prevent the development of allergies in the infant.[6]
  • Premasticated foods allow for better infant digestion through the presence of saliva enzymes lacking in infants.[3] Alpha-amylase from maternal saliva aids in digestion of starches fed to a baby. This may be important in the developed nations since "...milk supplements containing starch are used frequently and if these are introduced into feeds at an early stage, digestion of the starch will require the action of salivary amylase..."[10] Children being fed mainly plant based diets by vegetarian parents also benefit from the more prevalent and different types of digestive enzymes in premasticated food.[11]

Alicia Silverstone is a vegan if I recall correctly, so her child probably is being fed a mainly plant based diet, so he may actually need the enzymes she can provide for him.

Geez, we've got a thread freaking out about a professor breast-feeding in class, the one about the Time magazine cover, and this. I'm wondering if folks would feel better if all people were fed a scientifically engineered substance through sterilized, disposable plastic tubes, and wear HazMat suits at all times. :what:

Unless someone can find me a state or federal statute saying this is a form of abuse, I'm totally cool with it.

Would I do it? Nope. Would I allow a parent of one my preschoolers to come to class and do it? Nope. Are there worse things in the world to worry about? Yep.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back