ALL Movie-TV-Book Connections to friends and fabrications

The use of literary references is common when one is offering their philosophy-That was the theme of the hearing Tuesday, the philosophical beliefs that the defense holds, and impressing those beliefs on Judge Perry for him to transform to law.
Andrea Lyon said at one point that she would depart from her political views and argue a constructionist point of view. This reveals to me that much of what Andrea does in her framework is based not on strict adherence to law and precedent, rather she approaches the law as if it were a fluid thing that can be changed based on one's (or a group's) philosophy. Anchoring her ideas to the literary works and the expert opinions of educated minds (Ms. Rapaport) is a pseudo-foundation, because there may not be a real foundation in the law.
For Jose's part, he did no justice to the point of Harper Lee's novel-I could also note that he did not aim for the stars, choosing a college level, dripping-with-intellect book, he chose one that is read by 6th and 7th graders-But the book has its merits notwithstanding JB's bad take on the moral of the story.
If I were to give it my best shot at understanding JB's take, then KC would be the mockingbird, right? KC took in the life and the cirumstances around herself, she gave back to society and her family what she saw in it, and it is unfair to wrongly accuse her just because she is a victim of her (sexist) surroundings? Casey Anthony-A victim of circumstance. Okay...

I say, let's open the field to all media and include our favorite literature, both new and old, films, television and even cartoon strips should they inspire.

RSBM... I was quite inspired by some of the art analysis going on over [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104419"]here at a fascinating thread Harmony2 started.[/ame] And maybe by the fact that I spent many long years teaching literature.

I think the underlying situation is indeed Shakespearian; the family power struggles (MacBeth, Lear), the jealous rage (Othello), the real and metaphorical murders of innocents (Othello, Hamlet, MacBeth... well yeah).

But the absurdity! The first thing that comes to mind is Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. From the end of the play, emphases mine:

Rosencrantz: [Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are about to be hanged] That's it then, is it? We've done nothing wrong. We didn't harm anybody, did we?
Guildenstern: I can't remember.
Rosencrantz: All right, then. I don't care. I've had enough. To tell you the truth, I'm relieved.
Guildenstern: There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
The Player: Till then.

But the absurdity! The first thing that comes to mind is Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. From the end of the play, emphases mine:

Rosencrantz: [Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are about to be hanged] That's it then, is it? We've done nothing wrong. We didn't harm anybody, did we?
Guildenstern: I can't remember.
Rosencrantz: All right, then. I don't care. I've had enough. To tell you the truth, I'm relieved.
Guildenstern: There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
The Player: Till then.
Good comparison!

Do you believe that Baez inserted the novel, TKAM, into his argument because he believes he is Atticus Finch? He must defend KC as his morally duty even though he is mocked by society? He is a martyr and must accept the public scorn?

Why Honorable Judge Perry would believe that moving this trial to Miami (or anywhere for that matter) would reduce the prejudicial public scorn against Baez or KC is beyond my comprehension. IMO, it appears that Baez believes that the citizens of Miami have a lower intelligence quotient than those in Orange County. This in itself will fertilize public scorn for Baez and his client in Dade County.

That was a crazy reference to make. She either has not read the book or didn't understand it.

Those darn research students of hers - someone took a lazy shortcut or someone doesn't like her much and slipped that in just for fun.:waitasec:

I don't think KC's best friend, JL (Natural Born Killers) will get past the jury, either. jmo

cecybeans said:
Well a dear elven friend of ours and former WS dignitary sent me this. I think it says it beautifully:

Here is my contribution for the STATE to reference the heady literary thread:

A person's a person, no matter how small. ~ Dr. Seuss ~

Okay, that almost had me bawling! Damn right you are, Dr. Seuss. *sigh* I hate how the A's and the defense want us to forget that Caylee WAS A PERSON!

Also reminds me of another Dr. Seuss story, "Oh the places you'll go." Caylee had such potential. My heart just aches right now.

btw, the students in my Comp II class know more about literature than this defense team. They would so get an F in my class.

The name "Anabelle" has been bugging me today and after the whirlwind of fictitious names that ica has spewed, I thought it would be interesting if we made a list of her imaginary friends to see if we can decipher where these names came from and if there is a common theme.

ica worked at Universal Studios.....Anabelle is a princess from Disney.

When I hear Annabelle, I always think of the doll's name in the movie Gone Baby Gone. Juliette Lewis is an actress. Maybe a Hollywood theme?

Racquel Ferrell...Raquel Welch and either Will or Colin Fe(a)rrell?

Annabelle - Jodie Foster
Freaky Friday?
Silence of the Lambs?

Dora the Explorer may have taught Caylee how to count in Spanish. Dora has black hair, but I'm not sure if she has a little white dog.

Juliet, Jules, Jeff, Annabelle, Samatha, Gloria..............ZANNY...........???

Annabelle, Zachary, Jennifer Rosa, Raquel Ferrell, Juliette Lewis, Zenaida Fernandez Gonzalez, Samantha, Gloria, Jules.... and more? I'm not really seeing a common thread, here. I remember having imaginary friends.......... when I was three years old -- "Mr. Mouse" and "Bald Headed Lady" (don't ask, i was a strange child.. lol).

There is a map called Annabell in one of the Dora the Explorer adventures.
I was walking through a room at work today and a co-worker had the trial on. I walked in at the time JB was talking about ICA imaginary friends. Kids have imaginary friends that they talk to have tea parties with and interact with. KC did not have imaginary friends. She just told lies and inserted whatever name came to her mind. No imaginary friends. KC was not at Fusion, shopping or hopping in bed with here imaginary friends because there aren't any. Just made up names. KC will be needing imaginary friends since she has alienated all of the ones she once had.

Oh, me thinks you give ICA way too much credit! LOL.

- Zenieda Fernandez Gonzales ICA went to school with a Zenieda
- Samantha - went to school with a Samantha (who had the same last name as Zenieda)
- Gloria???
Somewhere out there we also heard ZFG father/stepfathers name???

- Juliet Lewis & Anabelle - actress and ?????

- Jeffrey Michael Hopkins & Zachary - she went to HS with Jeffrey D Hopkins and a relative in Ohio (or former friend?) of hers has a young boy named Zachary
- Jules ???

- Raquel Farrell - there is a RGonzales who she went to HS with
- Jennifer Rosa - there is a JRosa who she went to HS with (not Jennifer)

- Thomas Frank & Tom Manley - one (or both) of these names is similar to her former supervisor at Colorvision

I think we could find most of these names or a close variation in her HS Year Book...

Annabelle, Zachary, Jennifer Rosa, Raquel Ferrell, Juliette Lewis, Zenaida Fernandez Gonzalez, Samantha, Gloria, Jules.... and more? I'm not really seeing a common thread, here. I remember having imaginary friends.......... when I was three years old -- "Mr. Mouse" and "Bald Headed Lady" (don't ask, i was a strange child.. lol).

My oldest DD had Little House on the Prairie (from reruns) - Laura and Mary living with us for quite sometime. I had to buckle and unbuckle their seat-belts every time I put her in her car seat and she usually wanted cereal bowls set out for their breakfast. She was a very thoughtful toddler.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back