All things swine flu (H1N1)

I'm a neurotic health nut usually, but it's important to remember that no one in the US has died from this strain to date. All the original 8 patients have recovered.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30386163/

"All eight U.S. patients recovered from symptoms that were like those of the regular flu, mostly involving fever, cough and sore throat, though some of them also experienced vomiting and diarrhea."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sci-flu26-2009apr26,0,2116819.story

"All of the cases were mild, and none of the students was hospitalized. The school will be closed Monday as a precaution."

All eight, but what about the 73 cases that were exposed to the 9 kids in new york that have probable swine flu? That were just found out. They all went to the same prep school, and 9 of them are infected. So chances are it is not done spreading yet.

The interesting thing about the pandemic of 1918 is that it was before the discovery of antibiotics which can be used to treat the secondary infections that come when the immune system is supressed fighting off the flu. Now, we have anti-virals too. We have the upper hand this time. Hopefully.

I live in NY. I have been fighting a cold/sinus infection for over a week. Plus upper respiratory infection. Unfortunately, I am not suffering from the loss of appetite symptom. :chicken:

I hope everyone stays healthy.

I wonder...are the only people getting this either in Mexico or people who went to Mexico recently?

I wonder...are the only people getting this either in Mexico or people who went to Mexico recently?

No, Not all have been to mexico, or been around people who had been to mexico.

For all everyone that loves to read as I do, here is a book (which I consider the best I've read on the topic) about the 1918 pandemic.

America's Forgotten Pandemic: The Influenza of 1918 by Alfred W. Crosby.

Amazing read.
(snip)

Here's another excellent book on the subject.

Kolata, Gina (1999). Flu: The Story of the Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and the Search for the Virus That Caused It. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux. ISBN 0-374-15706-5.

It details the social and medical history well, and discussed more recent efforts to find live samples of that particular strain of flu.

I've read that one too fortytwo and indeed it's an excellent book! I am a bookworm and have been one for close to 35 years :)

The prep school students had been to Mexico the week before I believe. I don't know about Ca., Tx., and Kansas but if we go to Walmart we don't know who all there may have been in Mexico or has family who have visited from Mexico recently. Especially in Texas or California.

I think the media is causing a bit of an alarmist mentality in the public.

I think the media is causing a bit of an alarmist mentality in the public.

Its not the media its the World Health Organization that is saying that this can turn into a pandemic, which is what the media is following.

Its a legit organization and they have facts to base it off. Since its already in so many states, it is going to be very very hard to contain and keep it from spreading anymore.

I live in NY and this scares me really bad.

064.jpg

This is my breeding sow Petunia

063.jpg

Some of her babies

040.jpg

And until recently, this little guy lived IN my house!!

The interesting thing about the pandemic of 1918 is that it was before the discovery of antibiotics which can be used to treat the secondary infections that come when the immune system is supressed fighting off the flu. Now, we have anti-virals too. We have the upper hand this time. Hopefully.
As long as we have enough supplies!
We won't be told if we don't.

One of the reasons I think we're doing better than Mexico is what we're treating it with. One of the reports out of Mexico, mentioned above, said people were being vaccinated against the flu; however, apparently the vaccine doesn't work against this strain. Sad, sad, sad for those people.

Just got back from the grocery store. Asked the checker if they'd been busier than usual, and she said, "yes, and tomorrow will be crazy." What I did was try to avoid food from Mexico, but what I couldn't will get a little bleach & water bath once I look up how much bleach is safe to use with how much water.

Not a respiratory mask available at any nearby CVS or Walgreens by me. Texas, ya know, border state.

I'm really sickened that Google News still has an article up that says only 20 deaths have occured in Mexico. Main Street Media is really worthless these days, imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52
Back