All Things Tim Curley

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...no-report-penn-state-scandal-freeh/in/2304037

This article says this about the Paterno's report:

The Paterno Report mostly serves as a hagiography of the former coach and an opening shot in the civil suits that will soon be filed against his estate.

And this about Curley:

A more definitive accounting of the events leading to Paterno's role will most likely come out at Curley's trial. Because of the evidentiary burdens placed on the prosecution (which is forced to hand over any exculpatory evidence to the defendant), Curley's counsel will have plenty of time to accumulate such evidence and, as I noted back in July, he can escape a lot of criminal and civil liability if he pins the decision not to report Sandusky on Paterno.

Even if Curley can get the prosecution to drop its case, he still has the incentive to argue that Paterno was calling the shots in civil cases against him. And a vigorous prosecutor would seek to prove that Curley is calling the shots, which means putting forward evidence showing that Paterno did not order the cover-up. Further, once civil litigation starts, the discovery process will comb through every hard drive and notebook at Penn State and put the relevant portions into evidence.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...no-report-penn-state-scandal-freeh/in/2304037

This article says this about the Paterno's report:

And this about Curley:

While this may be a defense in the court of public opinion, Curley's attorneys have to recognize that fear of crossing one's subordinate, no matter how powerful that person may have been, does not excuse him from fulfilling his legal obligation to report suspected child abuse, nor does it exonerate him from lying to the GJ.

While this may be a defense in the court of public opinion, Curley's attorneys have to recognize that fear of crossing one's subordinate, no matter how powerful that person may have been, does not excuse him from fulfilling his legal obligation to report suspected child abuse, nor does it exonerate him from lying to the GJ.

It might give him impetus to say, "Yes make a deal."

This is the part that really interests me:

Further, once civil litigation starts, the discovery process will comb through every hard drive and notebook at Penn State and put the relevant portions into evidence.

Let's see ALL the emails, notes and communications from all the parties about what happened and what they said or did...

"Hush money" - good lord! But nothing would surprise me anymore, unfortunately.

I seem to remember it being said months ago that PSU was paying for the legal fees of about 8 employees related to the Sandusky scandal. Recently, I can't find anything which states this. Am I crazy, or just not a good searcher of the internet? Does anyone remember anything about this? Or, even better, could anyone provide a link?

"Hush money" - good lord! But nothing would surprise me anymore, unfortunately.

I seem to remember it being said months ago that PSU was paying for the legal fees of about 8 employees related to the Sandusky scandal. Recently, I can't find anything which states this. Am I crazy, or just not a good searcher of the internet? Does anyone remember anything about this? Or, even better, could anyone provide a link?

I do not recall it, but they are paying for the three defendants. I'd suspect that they might be paying for Baldwin's and Harmon's.

http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2012/03/23/penn-state-do-coverage-may-pay-for-employees-attor
"Penn State is telling subpoenaed employees to hire their own attorneys, which may be paid for by the university’s directors and officers’ insurance coverage."
On its “Openness” website the State College, Pa.-based university this week released the following statement about the payment of legal fees for employees: “The university is suggesting those individuals who received subpoenas retain their own counsel and the university will agree to reimburse them for their legal expenses, as they were acting within the scope of their employment and in the interest of the university.”

There is a federal case which is looking into hush money. I don't know the status of it though.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/experts_penn_state_investigati.html
"Each year educational institutions like Penn State receive million of dollars in federal money earmarked for certain areas such as defense or medical research and educational programs.
If that money was used for other purposes, that could be a federal crime, Reinhart said.
“I’m sure they get all sorts of federal funding that flows into large state university’s like that,” he said. “As part of that sort of grant or funding, you have to certify those funds will only be used for the certain things. That could be why they’d be looking into interactions with Second Mile and Penn State.”
Fraud could be a possibility if false statements were made to an agency like the NCAA, Reinhart said.
Something like, “We don’t have any unauthorized persons using the training facilities.”
Penn State has said that, as part of his retirement agreement, Sandusky kept an office and a key to the Penn State locker room. Sandusky left his coaching job as Paterno’s defensive coordinator after the 1999 season. He was asked, after the 2002 incident, not to bring children with him to the facilities, but university officials testified before a grand jury that the ban was unenforceable.
If Penn State didn't disclose that to an agency who asked for such information, that could constitute fraud."

Interesting background information on Curley. He started as a grad assistant under Paterno and worked his way up to AD, Joe's "boss." It doesn't appear that he was "hired" to be Paterno's "boss" as so many have said. And it seems like he was otherwise competent in his work; though with a huge, glaring exception in at least one area...

Interesting background information on Curley. He started as a grad assistant under Paterno and worked his way up to AD, Joe's "boss." It doesn't appear that he was "hired" to be Paterno's "boss" as so many have said. And it seems like he was otherwise competent in his work; though with a huge, glaring exception in at least one area...

Do you have a chronology? Paterno was AD in 1980-82, so he would have a detailed knowledge of how the office functioned.

Are Curley's and Schultz's pensions at risk, if convicted? That would be a great bargaining chip for the state, if that's the case.

Curley's pension, definitely. Schultz had retired and was retired when he testified; he was brought back about month before this all broke.

Spanier filed for a discovery order too get the AG's internal e-mail; Schultz joined it. Curley did not.

I'm reading tea leaves here but I think one Schultz or Curley will flip.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back