Alleged Brontë sisters photo stirs interest

I really don't think Branwell's portrait of his sisters is helpful in deciding what they looked like. He was a pretty awful portrait painter, if you ask me.

He's got the mutton sleeves though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brontë_family

Attachments

• 500px-The_Brontë_Sisters_by_Patrick_Branwell_Brontë_restored.jpg
    500px-The_Brontë_Sisters_by_Patrick_Branwell_Brontë_restored.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 62
I'm still searching, fool that I am. Now wondering if it might be a photo from the Brown Barnes Bell studio, with just the first two names worn off? That was in Bold Street, Liverpool though. Photo shows sample of their work.

http://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/anew/a-k.htm

Also, very close to where the Brontes lived there was once a coal mine. I suspect there were photos taken of that, and whoever took them was likely to have served the local demand for portraits too. If it turns out to be a photographer named Bell it might be helpfull in clearing up this mystery. I haven't found any of those mine photos yet though, let alone their backstamps.

Attachments

• browhf.jpg
    browhf.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 29
I love to drive, English is my first language, and I'm a librarian.
Already packed, passport in my purse.
Most importantly, I will relinquish the radio/soundtrack responsibilities of this adventure to godot.

Winner!!!'mmm

I love to drive, English is my first language, and I'm a librarian.
Already packed, passport in my purse.
Most importantly, I will relinquish the radio/soundtrack responsibilities of this adventure to godot.

Winner!!!'mmm
Indeed! Won over wholly by the soundtrack acquiescence.

Hey, Judas. Never mind the soundtrack, I can provide that, and drive, AND bring you a couple of creme eggs and LOADS of gin.

:cheers:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back