Amber's Cell Phone and Ping

I'm getting lost. This stuff is complicated to keep track of.

What exactly is complicated? The sketch is from another case, not Amber's, and I would say it resembles Gardner.

What exactly is complicated? The sketch is from another case, not Amber's, and I would say it resembles Gardner.

I've seen another drawing of a person alongside Gardner. Thought it was about Amber's case. Maybe it was comparing it to another case.

Too much info, not enough sleep.

Pala is at least 10-15 miles north of the Amber Lane Cell tower--so WTH with the phone in Escondido the next day?

Pala is at least 10-15 miles north of the Amber Lane Cell tower--so WTH with the phone in Escondido the next day?

The remains were found in Pala however there is no indication if they were there the same day that she was kidnapped. Perhaps she was brought to a home in the area and then her body was disposed of the following night (or even later) at the Pala location. It is just too soon to tell right now.

If it was JAG, he might have been dumb enough to keep the phone and take it back home with him...turning it on the next day...
I keep thinking if JAG did make some kind of plea with LE and disclose Amber's location, it was because he knew they had direct evidence to link him to her disappearance..Could be her dna showed up on some item they recovered from the searches of his homes/car or what if it was that he still had that phone, clothing, the check or some other item of her's stashed away...just thinking out loud...

btw I come to these conclusions mostly because I keep wanting to think it was the perp that turned that phone on the next day and not Amber...If she had to be gone, I want it to be that it was fast...As a parent of a teenage girl, I think it would be these kinds of thoughts that would torture me most...

If it was JAG, he might have been dumb enough to keep the phone and take it back home with him...turning it on the next day...
I keep thinking if JAG did make some kind of plea with LE and disclose Amber's location, it was because he knew they had direct evidence to link him to her disappearance..Could be her dna showed up on some item they recovered from the searches of his homes/car or what if it was that he still had that phone, clothing, the check or some other item of her's stashed away...just thinking out loud...

I don't know. Before today I was certain JAG was responsible for Amber's disappearnce--but after hearing what Bill Garcia the PI stated it seems not to be the case. He didn't say the tipster came forward because JAG was safely away in jail so the tipster felt safe to speak; he said the tipster came forward essentially to give the community some peace.

The news tonight say that the remains were found inside the reservation. Would the dark-skinned teen walking with Amber be a native american?

The news also say that the remains were found due to a "tip."

Will find out more.

This is sad news, but at least is closure for the family.

I hope they crucify the perp.

Somewhere last night I was reading that the ping was pinpointed to Pala's library!

The news tonight say that the remains were found inside the reservation. Would the dark-skinned teen walking with Amber be a native american?

The news also say that the remains were found due to a "tip."

Will find out more.

This is sad news, but at least is closure for the family.

I hope they crucify the perp.

Where did you read that the ping pointed to the library? I know the search dogs hit at the Pala library but I understood the ping was on Amber Lane in Escondido. When I first heard about the boy seen with Amber I thought he could be native american--but why would he being going to school in Escondido and not the reservation?

Where did you read that the ping pointed to the library? I know the search dogs hit at the Pala library but I understood the ping was on Amber Lane in Escondido. When I first heard about the boy seen with Amber I thought he could be native american--but why would he being going to school in Escondido and not the reservation?

Just because the boy was seen with her (if in fact that is credible information) doesn't mean he went to her school.

You are correct, was my mistake. I meant the dogs did as you say. I edited the post before I read yours. Thanks for pointing it out.

:)

He and Amber's father said the girl sent several text messages to her grandmother and one to a friend before going to school Feb. 13. They said the messages did not provide information about her whereabouts or seem suspicious.

The girl's cell phone was shut off shortly after the messages were sent, Garcia added, noting police relayed information about the phone to the family. The phone was turned back on once on Saturday afternoon when someone tried unsuccessfully to access the phone's voicemail and then shut off again shortly after, they said, adding no further readings from the phone have been retrieved.

Garcia said the phone was not on long enough for authorities to determine specifically where it was. Escondido police were not available to comment on the matter.

Her cell phone was turned on once for about 20 seconds the day after she disappeared and has not been turned on since then, Escondido Police spokesman Lt. Bob Benton said.

http://www.northcountytimes.com/arti...62006f20aa.txt

Hi there. This is actually my first time posting on Websleuths. I read for a while about the Annie Le case, and then returned for Chelsea and now Amber. I'm here in San Diego.

Regarding the "attempt to access the voicemail"... I don't think it necessarily means that the person attempted to enter the password. With many phones, you can find "Voicemail" in the list of "Contacts", or just dial #something to access it. Just because a person attempted this does not mean that any password was entered. Maybe all they did was dial the voicemail and then hung up after they realized that they didn't have the password. I don't think we know for certain that the old correct password was attempted.

I was assuming that maybe JAG (or whoever) held onto the phone and then tried the voicemail the next day. After all, didn't we hear that this case did not get much attention in the first 24-48 hours? Maybe this evil monster had the phone and was surprised that it wasn't in the news yet, and was therefore trying to check the phone to see if anyone was looking for her yet. Or maybe he just thought it would be somehow amusing to hear the increasingly frantic voicemails from friends and family.

Reference info about Amber’s cell phone and one ping on Sat, Feb 14, 2009

Amber’s Cell Phone: Verizon model LG VX 10000
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1333

Fri, Feb 13, 2009

• ~7:10AM - Amber went missing
  • Night - Verizon Wireless reset the password on Amber's cell phone so Amber's frantic mother could access her daughter's cell phone voicemail to determine if Amber had listened to any messages

Sat, Feb 14, 2009

• The next day, Amber's cell phone was turned on for less than 30 seconds
  • Someone attempted to check the phone's voice mail but couldn’t because the password had been reset (Notes: Amber’s father said #86 was dialed, but I think he meant *86?)
  • The signal was picked up by a cell tower on Amber Lane in northern Escondido. The tower covers a five-mile radius, which means the phone could have been just about anywhere in Escondido
  • Police issued an emergency alert phone call (reverse 911) to homes in the area asking whether anyone had seen Amber, but again, they found nothing
The phone has not been turned on again since then.

Map with location of Cell Tower that Amber’s phone pinged (Amber Lane) in relation to several other areas:

D. Amber Lane, Escondido, CA – cell phone tower that picked the ping from Amber’s cell on Sat, Feb 14, 2009. The tower covers a 5 miles radius. JAG’s residence on Rock Springs is 3.1 miles to Amber Lane. N Broadway where Amber was last seen is about 1.5 miles to Amber Lane. North of Amber Lane is Jesmond Dene Park / Hidden Meadows, west is San Marcos, north-east is Dixon Dam / Lake City Park, and south is just north of Felicita / Kit Carson Park

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=fire+mountain+pl,+escondido,+ca&daddr=1752+n+broadway,+escondido,+ca+to:1050+rock+springs+road,+escondido,+ca+to:amber+lane,+escondido&geocode=FYDb-QEd3mAF-SlD4s1UUovbgDFE_CnDNnYArw%3BFbnQ-QEdZVUF-SmjPyumUovbgDHNAlw5w0AsKQ%3BFUKN-QEdiDAF-Sl7wfrduPTbgDFATAq8UlJtOg%3BFYIA-gEdmigF-SmBHJ6yQIvbgDEPki7WEI-oLQ&gl=us&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=33.66762,-117.222035&sspn=1.984055,4.938354&ie=UTF8&ll=33.143876,-117.100182&spn=0.124759,0.308647&t=h&z=12

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=9975976
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/e...c-657a-5398-8295-4b1ada991f56.html?mode=story

Respectfully bolded by me...

"86"...is 86 a voicemail code in San Diego? 86'd = to kill where I come from...wonder if it could have been meant as a cryptic message..."she's dead".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=86'd

86'd -To get rid of, originally for killing someone. The phrase "80 miles out and 6 feet under" was reserved for someone who had to dig their own grave 80 miles from civilization and then get shot execution-style. All terms for 86'd originated from this, be it alcohol or eliminating.

I think there are three probable scenarios here in regards to the phone being turned on:

1.) The perp kept the phone and turned it on the following day to access her voicemail possibly to hear her voice and relive the crime.

2.) Someone completely unrelated to the case found the phone (possibly discarded) and turned it on to see if it was in working order and/or to see if they could ID who the phone belonged to.

3.) Someone close to the perp may have found the phone in his car, possession, etc. and wanted to try and find out who the phone belonged to (perhaps a jealous girlfriend, etc.)

It's anyone's guess.

To me, IF someone found the phone... why would anyone want to access HER messages?

Why not use the found phone to make "free" personal calls? Or, just check her "contacts", out of curiosity maybe?

Why would anyone care what was in her voice mail?

It would be interesting to find out if the entered password that day was her real password (before it was changed.)

IF it was her using the phone, why did she give up in 30 seconds of trying to log into her voice mail? IF it was her, and she felt threatened, wouldn't she rather dial 911 instead of checking voice mail?

Did the perpetrator or a cohort of his leave a message for her before she was abducted?

My guess would be that the kidnapper accidentally turned the phone on... By all accounts, Amber was a smart girl. I'm sure she would call 911 if she could.

It's anyone's guess.

To me, IF someone found the phone... why would anyone want to access HER messages?

Why not use the found phone to make "free" personal calls? Or, just check her "contacts", out of curiosity maybe?

Why would anyone care what was in her voice mail?

It would be interesting to find out if the entered password that day was her real password (before it was changed.)

IF it was her using the phone, why did she give up in 30 seconds of trying to log into her voice mail? IF it was her, and she felt threatened, wouldn't she rather dial 911 instead of checking voice mail?

Did the perpetrator or a cohort of his leave a message for her before she was abducted?

I am not sure the phone company would know if someone did check her contacts, phone numbers, etc. on her phone. I imagine they would only know of an action that resulted in communication with them. If I found a phone and wanted to know if it worked I might call the voicemail before I called someone I knew or randomly called one of the contacts stored in the phone.

I do not think it was Amber that turned it on as she would have surely called 911.

I am sure the phone records were thoroughly searched for previous calls/voicemail messages that may have been related.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrskrash2012
Back