An Uncertain Future for NamUs

Onfortuneswheel

Reaction score
I hope the Mods are ok with me posting this. If not, please let me know where a better place would be...

There was an article that came out yesterday regarding some of the issues that have arisen recently surrounding the funding of NamUs. While UNTCHI has accepted the FY21 grant from NIJ there is still an expectation that there will be layoffs. Additionally, all forensic and victims services that NamUs has traditionally provided free-of-charge outside have been halted for the foreseeable future unless originating from Texas.

It seems that it has been forgotten that the NamUs program is effective not because of a nice database but because of the hard work of people behind the scenes. Data can become garbage without effective stewards and many of NamUs' key employees are uncertain of their future after December 31.

An uncertain future for NamUs can make the work of this community magnitudes more difficult.

If you can, please consider reaching out to your Congressional House and Senate representation and urge them to find a permanent home and funding mechanism for NamUs.

If you live in Ft. Worth, consider reaching out to your local electeds to put pressure on UNTHSC to maintain their stated commitment to the NamUs program.

I hope the Mods are ok with me posting this. If not, please let me know where a better place would be...

There was an article that came out yesterday regarding some of the issues that have arisen recently surrounding the funding of NamUs. While UNTCHI has accepted the FY21 grant from NIJ there is still an expectation that there will be layoffs. Additionally, all forensic and victims services that NamUs has traditionally provided free-of-charge outside have been halted for the foreseeable future unless originating from Texas.

It seems that it has been forgotten that the NamUs program is effective not because of a nice database but because of the hard work of people behind the scenes. Data can become garbage without effective stewards and many of NamUs' key employees are uncertain of their future after December 31.

An uncertain future for NamUs can make the work of this community magnitudes more difficult.

If you can, please consider reaching out to your Congressional House and Senate representation and urge them to find a permanent home and funding mechanism for NamUs.

If you live in Ft. Worth, consider reaching out to your local electeds to put pressure on UNTHSC to maintain their stated commitment to the NamUs program.
BUMPING.

The news that a prolific DNA lab would no longer accept cases from outside of Texas sent Washington State Forensic Anthropologist Dr. Katherine Taylor “into a tailspin.” Although one part of the lab’s fight over federal funding seems to have been resolved, many in the forensic community are wary of whether it will last.

Even though UNT and NIJ seem to have reached an agreement over NamUs, the future of the DNA lab is still uncertain, meaning missing persons cases, unidentified remains, and even homicide investigations are stalled here in the Northwest. In some instances, agencies were fairly certain they knew who the unidentified person was, and already had family reference samples ready to send to the lab.
Funding standoff halts forensic ID of human remains | KOIN.com

It seems like UNTHSC has gone through with the staff reduction at NamUs. The staff that kept NamUs running has gone from 40 to just 7. This is so disappointing to see.
Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 12.04.29 PM.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back