Anne Heche in critical condition following fiery car crash, 5 August 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't believe that AH was actually conscious when she was on the gurney o_O In one of the video clips that I've seen, it looks like she is actually trying to sit up with her arms flailing as she is being put into the ambulance! So sad :( If she survives, Ms. Heche's life is going to be unbelievably challenging. JMO

ETA: The video that I referenced above is within this report: Actress Anne Heche crashes car into Mar Vista home, sparking large fire There is also a still photo that shows burns on Heche's back as she attempts to sit up.
At first I also thought it was burns, but looking closer I think it was her T-shirt. MOO

I see LAPD black uniforms all over the scene with the firefighters (DM photos and videos). If the red cap small bottle in the cupholder is alcohol, or if they smell alcohol, or any other probable cause like crashing straight into a house in a residential T-intersection at 90mph in broad daylight, California police have the authority to order warrantless blood draw per Title 17 (2018):

JMO they handle DUI accidents every day in LA and they likely did do a blood draw if not in the ambulance while placing an IV line, then immediately at the ER. OTOH she is a rich celebrity and JMO the handling may be *special* ...

My brother, a fire fighter, was watching this with us last night and stated "1/2 an hour to get her out; they must have had her pretty 'dosed'". By 'dosed' he meant morphine as it is the immediate response for burn victims for both the excruciating pain involved with that kind of trauma and also as a means to render them less likely to be combative of assistance rendered due to them being in shock.

So no, not special. Just the normal course of immediate repsonse where burn injuries are present. Enough to render any test done later at the hospital as useless (they'd fail it due to the administered drugs).

I watched the live feed from the helicopter as they wheeled the stretched from the house to the ambulance. The sheet was wrapped snugly over her head, shoulders, and upper legs and held down with straps. She had to claw her way out to gasp for air! This surprised me since I assumed that, after waiting so long to be able to extricate the from the car, they would have had an Ambu bag at the ready. Did they just assume she was dead?

Despite the speed of the smash and the intensity of the ensuing blaze, Heche was still conscious and able to speak as she was pulled from the wreckage, Los Angeles Fire Department Captain Erik Scott told ABC 7 in the aftermath of the devastating crash.

'When we arrived on the scene, we had a solo vehicle that appeared to be driving at a high rate of speed on a perpendicular street and launched through the front yard into the home,'

Scott said Heche, a mom-of-two, was trapped in her car as the flames began to spread, but noted: 'She was talking to us at the time that we were able to pull her out, so that's a good sign.'

The actress, who once dated Ellen DeGeneres, was spotted on doorbell footage hammering down a residential street before she took out a hedge, slammed through a building, causing her car to explode on impact.

She is understood to have battled scorching heat in the burning vehicle for up to 30 minutes before 59 firefighters arrived to drag her to safety.

My brother, a fire fighter, was watching this with us last night and stated "1/2 an hour to get her out; they must have had her pretty 'dosed'". By 'dosed' he meant morphine as it is the immediate response for burn victims for both the excruciating pain involved with that kind of trauma and also as a means to render them less likely to be combative of assistance rendered due to them being in shock.

So no, not special. Just the normal course of immediate repsonse where burn injuries are present. Enough to render any test done later at the hospital as useless (they'd fail it due to the administered drugs).

I am glad to hear that they probably dosed her with morphine as soon as they could get to her! Respectfully, I don't think having morphine in her blood would make a bit of difference in determining a blood alcohol level. Blood tests detect multiple substances simultaneously. MOO

The footage from the Ring made me gasp. How lucky that this was a one-sided incident, because no pedestrian, cyclist or animal would have survived that impact.

Hopefully the people whose home burned down will not suffer from this too much, mentally and financially.

I was surprised people are assuming it was a vodka bottle, as a European my mind went straight to sparkling water!
I agree. It may have sparkling water or any other number of different vitamin waters. If she knew she was hurt after the first impact, she may have tried to take herself to the hospital, and that's when the 2nd crash occurred.

I'm hopeful that it's not alcohol related. I just hate to see anytime someone compounds their misfortune by drinking and driving. So, hopeful that is not the case here, and wish her a full and speedy recovery.

Last edited:
I am not sure what difference it makes now, whether she was under the influence. She luckily didn't harm another person. (I know it is also very sad to lose a home). I just hope she suffers as little as possible from her injuries. (I know it will be terrible.) It sounds like she's had more pain in life already than most could endure.

Despite the speed of the smash and the intensity of the ensuing blaze, Heche was still conscious and able to speak as she was pulled from the wreckage, Los Angeles Fire Department Captain Erik Scott told ABC 7 in the aftermath of the devastating crash.

'When we arrived on the scene, we had a solo vehicle that appeared to be driving at a high rate of speed on a perpendicular street and launched through the front yard into the home,'

Scott said Heche, a mom-of-two, was trapped in her car as the flames began to spread, but noted: 'She was talking to us at the time that we were able to pull her out, so that's a good sign.'

The actress, who once dated Ellen DeGeneres, was spotted on doorbell footage hammering down a residential street before she took out a hedge, slammed through a building, causing her car to explode on impact.

She is understood to have battled scorching heat in the burning vehicle for up to 30 minutes before 59 firefighters arrived to drag her to safety.

Oh, no! She was trapped in the burning vehicle for up to 30 minutes?!

If she was having a psychotic episode, could that explain her being able to still talk and flail about after being in a burning car for so long? Maybe combined with shock?

That poor man who was trying to get her out of the car when she first crashed, he tried and for his sake I’m glad there were no fatalities because he would feel responsible he didn’t try harder. He did everything he could.
I’m sure those Minis lock while in drive. She had a chance then to stop and listen to him. <modsnip>

I‘m sad if she was in a manic state but a vehicle is a deadly weapon just like a gun.
Death by gun?
Death by vehicle?
Same, same in my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure what difference it makes now, whether she was under the influence. She luckily didn't harm another person. (I know it is also very sad to lose a home). I just hope she suffers as little as possible from her injuries. (I know it will be terrible.) It sounds like she's had more pain in life already than most could endure.
Nicely stated. I agree. Yes, it sounds like she has suffered greatly throughout her life.

I'm a bit confused was she speeding before the first crash too? Or was she stunned by the first crash and that could be why she panicked and sped away. I agree with the poster that said that she could have injured others. Her struggles are only going to be harder. JMO

Her struggles have just magnified by 1,000 times.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank the Lord that she didn't injure anyone else which is a miracle.
It sounds like she has struggled for a good part of her life and that is very sad.
I remember when it was a big deal that she was E.D.'s girlfriend. That relationship was fairly groundbreaking for it's time.

Her condition sounds grave, and if she survives her road ahead will be very difficult.
Lord have mercy on this poor woman

Amateur opinion and speculation

Actress Anne Heche is in "stable" condition after crashing a car into a California home Friday, ex-boyfriend Thomas Jane said, adding Heche is "expected to pull through."

I believe the danger is infection with burn injuries.
JMOO, I don't think they would have told family and friends that shes expected to pull through unless they felt confident in that outcome.

It matters because driving under the influence is a crime, as opposed to other causes like a medical emergency.

She easily could have killed innocent people.

JMOO, I don't think they would have told family and friends that shes expected to pull through unless they felt confident in that outcome.
Recovery has alot to do with the will of the patient; the will to fight for life. If her act was intentional, she may not have the will to fight back. I pray for her and her loved ones, who must be in horrible shock. Very sad.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I watched the live feed from the helicopter as they wheeled the stretched from the house to the ambulance. The sheet was wrapped snugly over her head, shoulders, and upper legs and held down with straps. She had to claw her way out to gasp for air! This surprised me since I assumed that, after waiting so long to be able to extricate the from the car, they would have had an Ambu bag at the ready. Did they just assume she was dead?
That sounds horrific for her!! Viewed in a different light, I suppose it might be a good indicator, as she was able to have the strength to claw herself out from under that mess. Still, sounds positively awful!

I thought she was dead because she her head was covered.

It matters because driving under the influence is a crime, as opposed to other causes like a medical emergency.

She easily could have killed innocent people.
She didn't kill anyone; however, and as far as we know, outside of property damage, no one else was hurt. So, the remark about it not meaning so much now, or what difference does it make now, is a logical question.

Not all people, but most, imoo, have driven while over the limit a time or two at sometime in their life, especially before Uber and Lyft, etc., or have driven while extremely distracted by their cell phone, or drove recklessly while speeding. When I read a story where someone has used poor judgment and injured someone with their vehicle, I always think...there, but for the grace of God...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nahnah_2015