Another Pageant Story

Ok, I know you are all going to disagree with me but I do see this very differently than most.

I've watched Little Miss Perfect and T & T since they came on with the intent to understand Patsy better. I do feel some children (typically the older ones) really enjoy it and have fairly normal parents. We just don't see much of those, that wouldn't make good tv.

I view it not much different than any other child's competitive activity. I can tell you for sure and without a doubt there are just as many psycho dads out there forcing their sons into sports. I've seen it.

The good parents are few. Few are actually using the competition in a constructive and enriching way.

I think Eden Wood's mom is a nut job. I also hope she is saving for her education...I somehow doubt it. I do think Eden is a cute & sweet and and outgoing kid that doesn't deserve some of the comments I read here.

I agree with you about Eden Wood. I would never criticize a child's looks. She's a cute, innocent child and it's not her fault her mother is insane. But as for the rest, I must vehemently disagree (but with respect).

In most competitive activities, there is a skill involved, like an athletic or artistic or intellectual skill. Here, the skill is for toddlers and little girls to wear the make-up and hair of an adult woman on Dynasty, to wear very uncomfortable clothing, sit still in chairs or stand still in lines for hours, and to prance around on stage in front of complete strangers, making sexually suggestive or flirty facial expressions, dance moves and poses, told to "shake it, guuurrrrlll" or "flirt with the judges" "shake that booty", etc. And that's my problem.

These kids are learning nothing that will help them in the future. These are not normal modeling moves or dance moves. The kids' head shots are like scary, horror movie dolls, not like something to send to a casting director. And their outfits and make-up and hairstyles evoke an adult sexuality that is highly inappropriate, IMO, for a child to adopt. They are being taught to parade around, move their bodies, smile and bat their eyelashes at strangers, who are judging them on nothing more than their appearance, and they are forced to endure tons of physical discomfort prior, during and after such "performances". I think that is a major set up for a child to feel that violations of their privacy and bodies, as well as requests for sexual behavior by adults, are normal, okay and sanctioned by mom and dad. I feel it's creating kids who are very susceptible to sexual abuse in the future.

Not to mention that children who spend their childhoods being judged on a wholly unnatural appearance, with fake hair, teeth, fake tans, tons of make-up, etc., grow to be adults who are wholly dissatisfied with their physical appearance:

Code:
Many experts agree that participation in activities that focus on  physical appearance at an early age can influence teen and/or adult [URL="http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/self-esteem"]self-esteem[/URL],  body image and self-worth.  Issues with self-identity after a child  "retires" from the pageant scene in her teens are not uncommon.   Struggles with perfection, dieting, [URL="http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/eating-disorders"]eating disorders[/URL] and body image can take their toll in adulthood.

"The Princess Syndrome" as I like to call it, is a fairy tale.   Unrealistic expectations to be thin, physically beautiful, and perfect  are at the heart of some disordered eating behaviors and body  dissatisfaction. Scant research has been conducted to see if former  pint-sized beauty pageant participants are more likely to suffer from  eating disorders, but a small study published in 2005 showed that [B]former  [URL="http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/child-development"]childhood[/URL] beauty pageant contestants had higher rates of body dissatisfaction.[/B]

The child pageant and dance circuits are competitive, demanding and  stressful.  Watch any reality dance or pageant show and see how children  are placed under enormous pressure to perform flawlessly.  Tears,  tantrums and fits frequently ensue with some adults mocking crying  children. As result, child performers may believe that parental and/or  adult love or approval are anchored to how perfectly they look or how  well they ignite the stage with their presence.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...eauty-pageants-what-are-we-teaching-our-girls

And what does this teach little girls about femininity, about their gender? That what is valued is the ability to be fake? To mimic charm? To flirt? To be pretty? What about their minds? What about true, natural beauty? What about learning a real skill? Getting an excellent education? None of that is a product of child glitz pageants.

I hear many of these parents state that they only do this to help their child's self-esteem or to help them become more outgoing. How about this? Enroll them in a children's theatre group or sports' team. How about spending the thousands they spend on this vapid, sad mess on their child's education instead?

Many parents also state they only do it because their child wants to. Well, my kid may want to do many things. But it's up to the parent to keep them away from things that are detrimental to their well-being.

Yes, some of the parents do not seem kooky on these shows. But IMO, they all participate in these contests for kooky reasons. They are hoping to erase their own feelings of inadequacy, their own failures, their own, mediocrity in looks and life, by putting the kind of make-up and clothing on children that would be more suitable for adults (adult strippers, that is), and hoping, paying, praying, doing all they can to make sure their little darling wins and proves to the world, as I have heard a few of these mothers admit, that they (oh, and their kids) are somebody.

Yeah, there sure are psycho parents in every kids' activity but most of those other activities are not harmful, in and of themselves. Child beauty pageants, especially glitz, IMO, most certainly are. But regardless of the criticism of people like me, I have no doubt that thousands of kids will continue to be subjected this nonsense and help line the coffers of those exploiting children in this billion dollar industry (http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=660479&showcomments=true), prancing on stages in full drag, in front of total strangers, so they can, "Make Mommy (or Daddy) Love You!": [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPLWKBWkn3s"]Toddlers & Tiaras with Tom Hanks - YouTube[/ame]

I agree with you about Eden Wood. I would never criticize a child's looks. She's a cute, innocent child and it's not her fault her mother is insane. But as for the rest, I must vehemently disagree (but with respect).

In most competitive activities, there is a skill involved, like an athletic or artistic or intellectual skill. Here, the skill is for toddlers and little girls to wear the make-up and hair of an adult woman on Dynasty, to wear very uncomfortable clothing, sit still in chairs or stand still in lines for hours, and to prance around on stage in front of complete strangers, making sexually suggestive or flirty facial expressions, dance moves and poses, told to "shake it, guuurrrrlll" or "flirt with the judges" "shake that booty", etc. And that's my problem.

These kids are learning nothing that will help them in the future. These are not normal modeling moves or dance moves. The kids' head shots are like scary, horror movie dolls, not like something to send to a casting director. And their outfits and make-up and hairstyles evoke an adult sexuality that is highly inappropriate, IMO, for a child to adopt. They are being taught to parade around, move their bodies, smile and bat their eyelashes at strangers, who are judging them on nothing more than their appearance, and they are forced to endure tons of physical discomfort prior, during and after such "performances". I think that is a major set up for a child to feel that violations of their privacy and bodies, as well as requests for sexual behavior by adults, are normal, okay and sanctioned by mom and dad. I feel it's creating kids who are very susceptible to sexual abuse in the future.

Not to mention that children who spend their childhoods being judged on a wholly unnatural appearance, with fake hair, teeth, fake tans, tons of make-up, etc., grow to be adults who are wholly dissatisfied with their physical appearance:

Code:
Many experts agree that participation in activities that focus on  physical appearance at an early age can influence teen and/or adult [URL="http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/self-esteem"]self-esteem[/URL],  body image and self-worth.  Issues with self-identity after a child  "retires" from the pageant scene in her teens are not uncommon.   Struggles with perfection, dieting, [URL="http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/eating-disorders"]eating disorders[/URL] and body image can take their toll in adulthood.

"The Princess Syndrome" as I like to call it, is a fairy tale.   Unrealistic expectations to be thin, physically beautiful, and perfect  are at the heart of some disordered eating behaviors and body  dissatisfaction. Scant research has been conducted to see if former  pint-sized beauty pageant participants are more likely to suffer from  eating disorders, but a small study published in 2005 showed that [B]former  [URL="http://www.psychologytoday.com/basics/child-development"]childhood[/URL] beauty pageant contestants had higher rates of body dissatisfaction.[/B]

The child pageant and dance circuits are competitive, demanding and  stressful.  Watch any reality dance or pageant show and see how children  are placed under enormous pressure to perform flawlessly.  Tears,  tantrums and fits frequently ensue with some adults mocking crying  children. As result, child performers may believe that parental and/or  adult love or approval are anchored to how perfectly they look or how  well they ignite the stage with their presence.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...eauty-pageants-what-are-we-teaching-our-girls

And what does this teach little girls about femininity, about their gender? That what is valued is the ability to be fake? To mimic charm? To flirt? To be pretty? What about their minds? What about true, natural beauty? What about learning a real skill? Getting an excellent education? None of that is a product of child glitz pageants.

I hear many of these parents state that they only do this to help their child's self-esteem or to help them become more outgoing. How about this? Enroll them in a children's theatre group or sports' team. How about spending the thousands they spend on this vapid, sad mess on their child's education instead?

Many parents also state they only do it because their child wants to. Well, my kid may want to do many things. But it's up to the parent to keep them away from things that are detrimental to their well-being.

Yes, some of the parents do not seem kooky on these shows. But IMO, they all participate in these contests for kooky reasons. They are hoping to erase their own feelings of inadequacy, their own failures, their own, mediocrity in looks and life, by putting the kind of make-up and clothing on children that would be more suitable for adults (adult strippers, that is), and hoping, paying, praying, doing all they can to make sure their little darling wins and proves to the world, as I have heard a few of these mothers admit, that they (oh, and their kids) are somebody.

Yeah, there sure are psycho parents in every kids' activity but most of those other activities are not harmful, in and of themselves. Child beauty pageants, especially glitz, IMO, most certainly are. But regardless of the criticism of people like me, I have no doubt that thousands of kids will continue to be subjected this nonsense and help line the coffers of those exploiting children in this billion dollar industry (http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=660479&showcomments=true), prancing on stages in full drag, in front of total strangers, so they can, "Make Mommy (or Daddy) Love You!": Toddlers & Tiaras with Tom Hanks - YouTube

I agree with much of what you said.

As it relates to the Ramsey Case...IMO Psychologically speaking, what I see with many of the mothers involved in pageants is they seem to view their own child as an extension of themselves. If you listen to them speak oftentimes they will use "I" & "we" when speaking of the child. In the mom's mind they are enmeshed. That frightens me.

My son competes and never once have I ever thought or said "oh we're competing next week" . I would say, "we're going to Florida next week, my son has a tournament" ......Many of these moms would say, "we're competing" That's concerning and exactly how I feel Patsy viewed her daughter.

While the Julia Roberts "hooker" costume may not have been revealing, there is certainly something disturbing about a mother choosing to dress her little girl as a prostitute. There actually ARE child prostitutes, as horrifying as it is, and there is nothing cute about it.
Julia Roberts has done a number of roles that do not portray prostitutes, Tinker Bell among them. How more appropriate would that have been for a little girl? But it wouldn't have been as controversial and that is what was desired after all.
In a perfect world, no child would ever be taught to "gyrate", whether competitively or not. I am not criticizing competitive dance for children- I think all kids benefit from dedication and having a focus in their life. Dance is great for kids, and when a child has natural talent and a love for dance it should always be encouraged. It is the sexualizing of very young girls, whether through dance or not, that is the problem. The kids may not be aware of it, but the adults certainly are.
My daughter was a professional ballerina from age 8, going on to dance with Boston Ballet, among other local and regional companies. There are lots of pitfalls in that world, though no competitions. (though the ballet world is VERY competitive- "Black Swan" was spot on).
Her career ended when she hit 5'7". Not too many tall ballerinas in the major companies. Most of the men are rather short, and dancing en pointe (in toe shoes) adds 3 inches to a woman's height. A male dancer's contract also limits the weight he is required to lift - which is why so many female dancers have eating disorders.
I wasn't sorry she went on to college and another career (she became a marine biologist and an attorney), but I often wonder how much she misses it.
After Pretty Woman came out, Saturday Night Live did a spoof comercial, called, 'The feel good hooker movie of the year'. They used what looked like a real hooker...no glamor there. Just a *advertiser censored* with bad teeth and hair. In one snippet, she and the big shot were eating seafood at a swanky restaurant, and her crab flew out of her plate, and some reference to crabs was made. It was hilarious and spot on. I waited for the rerun, but when it aired, they had taken out the commercial! I guess some studio exec, wasn't happy with the depiction. jmo.

Personally, I think child pageants should be outlawed. Of course, I think spanking should be outlawed, too, so I obviously don't have much of the American values I grew up with.

The parents are abnormal in every way. Their instincts to protect their children just are not there. I find them to be emotionally shallow and personally weak.

None of these little girls are being taught the most basic lessons of feminine bonding with their sisters. They should be learning to support and protect one another, not to compete with one another.

Teaching self-esteem? Oh, nonsense. This is not teaching self-esteem. This is teaching selfishness and vanity, totally ugly values. But of course, it reflects right back on the parents.

Then again, it doesn't surprise me in a day when invading other countries and killing innocent children is considered "protecting our way of life".

Children are just not valued anymore in our culture. They are just accessories.

By the way, none of the children I've seen so far has an ounce of talent. I'm sorry, but JonBenet was just a regular little child. She was no more beautiful than any other child, and not talented on the stage.

If parents want to teach their child self-confindence, then enroll them in a program at their local theater, where they will learn bonding, too. Get them dance lessons, art lessons, rock polishing lessons. Anything that helps them to learn and to work with others.

I disagree that beauty pageant kids have no talent. With the exception of singing, which I believe you have to be born with, if you practice something long and hard enough, you will become talented at it. With these beauty pageant kids, they are enrolled in so many activities that they aren't spending that much time in each one. Plus, they are all very young so they probably only have a year or two of experience. There are also many things that someone can be talented in besides singing and dancing (the standard beauty pageant talents) such as playing an instrument or a sport.

Also, IMO, JonBenet was prettier than many pageant kids today (like Eden Wood), who wear more makeup and whose pictures are airbrushed even more.

I disagree that beauty pageant kids have no talent. With the exception of singing, which I believe you have to be born with, if you practice something long and hard enough, you will become talented at it. With these beauty pageant kids, they are enrolled in so many activities that they aren't spending that much time in each one. Plus, they are all very young so they probably only have a year or two of experience. There are also many things that someone can be talented in besides singing and dancing (the standard beauty pageant talents) such as playing an instrument or a sport.

Also, IMO, JonBenet was prettier than many pageant kids today (like Eden Wood), who wear more makeup and whose pictures are airbrushed even more.

I didn't say JonBenet wasn't pretty. I said she wasn't more so than any other child. IMO, all kids are beautiful, but still, I don't think she stood out among others. She just wore makeup.

Oh, and she was blond, so of course people are carrying on about how beautiful she was.

(Those kids still have no talent. Take all the lessons you want--but it won't give you talent if you haven't got it.)

I didn't say JonBenet wasn't pretty. I said she wasn't more so than any other child. IMO, all kids are beautiful, but still, I don't think she stood out among others. She just wore makeup.

Oh, and she was blond, so of course people are carrying on about how beautiful she was.

(Those kids still have no talent. Take all the lessons you want--but it won't give you talent if you haven't got it.)

I know that JonBenet wore makeup, and that's why I compared her to other pageant kids. And it's such a shame that people are "carrying on" about how beautiful a murder victim was. :rolleyes: I'm not seeing what the point of bringing up a murder victim's looks are, unless you are going to say something nice about them. No one was even talking about JonBenet in this topic; you just brought up her looks out of nowhere. It seems a bit hypocritical to criticize pageants, and then judge how a 6-year-old murder victim looked.

And saying that people only think she was pretty because she was blonde is really criticizing her looks because you're saying that there's no way anyone could find her face pretty.

If you're not good at something the first time you try it, you'll never be good at it? So all the college football players could have never played a day of football and still get recruited? All Broadway dancers could have never taken a lesson of dance and still be amazing at it? Yeah, definitely not. You aren't born a professional at anything; you work hard and practice a lot and become one. Most people aren't child prodigies, it doesn't mean they can't excel at something later in life.

Dad: Okay, son, I am going to throw you the football!
6-year-old: Okay, I'm ready!
Dad *throws the football*
Son: *drops the football*
Dad: Okay, that's enough. You didn't catch the football on your first try so you will never catch it. You will never be a good football player. Let's go inside.

I know that JonBenet wore makeup, and that's why I compared her to other pageant kids. And it's such a shame that people are "carrying on" about how beautiful a murder victim was. :rolleyes: I'm not seeing what the point of bringing up a murder victim's looks are, unless you are going to say something nice about them. No one was even talking about JonBenet in this topic; you just brought up her looks out of nowhere. It seems a bit hypocritical to criticize pageants, and then judge how a 6-year-old murder victim looked.

And saying that people only think she was pretty because she was blonde is really criticizing her looks because you're saying that there's no way anyone could find her face pretty.

If you're not good at something the first time you try it, you'll never be good at it? So all the college football players could have never played a day of football and still get recruited? All Broadway dancers could have never taken a lesson of dance and still be amazing at it? Yeah, definitely not. You aren't born a professional at anything; you work hard and practice a lot and become one. Most people aren't child prodigies, it doesn't mean they can't excel at something later in life.

Dad: Okay, son, I am going to throw you the football!
6-year-old: Okay, I'm ready!
Dad *throws the football*
Son: *drops the football*
Dad: Okay, that's enough. You didn't catch the football on your first try so you will never catch it. You will never be a good football player. Let's go inside.

Obviously you support child pageants. I have no apologies for what I said about the pateants or parents. If you want to manipulate my words, go right ahead.

Personally, I think child pageants should be outlawed. Of course, I think spanking should be outlawed, too, so I obviously don't have much of the American values I grew up with.

The parents are abnormal in every way. Their instincts to protect their children just are not there. I find them to be emotionally shallow and personally weak.

None of these little girls are being taught the most basic lessons of feminine bonding with their sisters. They should be learning to support and protect one another, not to compete with one another.

Teaching self-esteem? Oh, nonsense. This is not teaching self-esteem. This is teaching selfishness and vanity, totally ugly values. But of course, it reflects right back on the parents.

Then again, it doesn't surprise me in a day when invading other countries and killing innocent children is considered "protecting our way of life".

Children are just not valued anymore in our culture. They are just accessories.

By the way, none of the children I've seen so far has an ounce of talent. I'm sorry, but JonBenet was just a regular little child. She was no more beautiful than any other child, and not talented on the stage.

If parents want to teach their child self-confidence, then enroll them in a program at their local theater, where they will learn bonding, too. Get them dance lessons, art lessons, rock polishing lessons. Anything that helps them to learn and to work with others.

IMO Healthy competition is a good thing. Especially for girls who IMO aren't typically & naturally born competitive. There is plenty of competition in drama clubs, dance, art etc..There is competition in life. If working well with others is the goal you'd like to instill in a child, team things would be the way to go. But there is competition there as well. IMO It's the parents that make all the difference and who determines the value & enrichment quality of any kind of activity a child may participate in. The sad truth is, there are simply way too many lousy parents.

Honestly, I just don't get the whole fuss over pageants. It's as if many feel their children are now safe from sexual predators because their child doesn't participate in pageants.

NEWSFLASH predators are attracted to children.

I see parents tending to point at pageant children and call them a pedophiles dream. I would bet my last dollar the vast majority of child molesters & pedophiles aren't tuning into watch pageants and lurking about in the hotel hallways waiting to snatch a pageant child. They're fine, upstanding citizens living right in your own neighborhoods. Watching your child on the beach, playground, maybe coaching, teaching or maybe even their doctor, dentist etc...

Okay, I'm rethinking my feelings about T&T-- I really thought it was harmless. Though I did recognize the ridiculousness of the mothers (I think the show is as much about them as it is the little ones) I really overlooked the potential power of the costumes and moves to prematurely sexualize the individual beyond their "act."

I do notice, though, as the contestants get older there's not as many of them. So, for the most part, it seems the kids grow up and out of this activity their mothers/fathers were imposing on them (either that or the family is bankrupt).

Glad I read this thread this morning...

Okay, I'm rethinking my feelings about T&T-- I really thought it was harmless. Though I did recognize the ridiculousness of the mothers (I think the show is as much about them as it is the little ones) I really overlooked the potential power of the costumes and moves to prematurely sexualize the individual beyond their "act."

I do notice, though, as the contestants get older there's not as many of them. So, for the most part, it seems the kids grow up and out of this activity their mothers/fathers were imposing on them (either that or the family is bankrupt).

As with all sports/dance/music, etc., as a child grows up, the interest wanes or the talent is not there to make participating in an expensive activity worthwhile. But yes, all talent needs nurturing, even when it is obvious at a young age. And those parents and the pageants themselves do not seem nurturing to me.
I cannot think of one Miss America or movie star who was on the Kiddie Pageant Circuit. For some little girls, I am sure they ARE fun. But the kids on the televised pageant shows do not seem too happy or well-adjusted to me. And for that, I do blame the parents. Also the Kiddie Pageant "machine", which sits a few moms and grandmas on the judges panel and decides on a "whim" whether your little girl has "what we are looking for today". The Glitz pageants are by far the worst when it comes to this kind of thing.
I don't see any Shirley Temples on those shows. She was a true child prodigy, and so talented by the age of 3 as a dancer/actress/singer.

IMO Healthy competition is a good thing. Especially for girls who IMO aren't typically & naturally born competitive. There is plenty of competition in drama clubs, dance, art etc..There is competition in life. If working well with others is the goal you'd like to instill in a child, team things would be the way to go. But there is competition there as well. IMO It's the parents that make all the difference and who determines the value & enrichment quality of any kind of activity a child may participate in. The sad truth is, there are simply way too many lousy parents.

Honestly, I just don't get the whole fuss over pageants. It's as if many feel their children are now safe from sexual predators because their child doesn't participate in pageants.

NEWSFLASH predators are attracted to children.

I see parents tending to point at pageant children and call them a pedophiles dream. I would bet my last dollar the vast majority of child molesters & pedophiles aren't tuning into watch pageants and lurking about in the hotel hallways waiting to snatch a pageant child. They're fine, upstanding citizens living right in your own neighborhoods. Watching your child on the beach, playground, maybe coaching, teaching or maybe even their doctor, dentist etc...

I totally agree. The lurid tabloid photos were of more interest to pedophiles than sitting in the audience, though I am sure there are some who do attend. Yes, the place where these creeps do lurk is, sadly, where the kids are. Scouts. Sports Teams. Schools. And even more horrible- clergy, relatives and family friends. Kids are FAR more likely to be molested by an adult they know and trust that has regular, private access to them then they are a stranger. The same goes for child murders. Children that are murdered are far more likely to have been killed by a parent or family member, unintentionally or not. This is especially true when a child is found dead in their own home BY a parent and also when a child is found near their home. When the murdered child is also found with personal items or items that have been found to have come from the home, the likelihood of the killer being a random stranger is practically zero. Stranger child predators do not usually even bury their victims, let alone redress them and wrap them in their own blanket. They dump the body carelessly, sometimes displayed in a shocking way. (Samantha Runnion comes to mind here).

I agree with you, about building certain talents. My dd was a natural born athlete...long, lean, and a work horse ethic. She broke all her high school's pitching records, and was the majorette captain. I, on the other hand, am not athletic and have 2 left feet...but was a music major in college, (piano), and was the choir's alto section leader. My dd couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. Seriously, she was almost tone deaf. But, I worked on ear training, and by the time she was in jr high, she was sitting 1st chair french horn, and could carry a tune. She'll never have a pretty singing voice though...some things just can't be learned, but persistence, can take a kid a long way. My husband and his dad ARE athletes, and his dad has been a football coach forever, but it was I, the piano player, who pushed my daughter in pitching practice, lol. I knew from my own youth, that 'practice makes perfect'. But these tiara moms, have it all wrong. They have no real goals. They're just pushing their kids for the sake of attention, and the kids aren't learning a thing, or being fullfilled in any way. My daughter loved her childhood, and has no regrets. These kids, on the other hand, seem to be living such plastic lives. A lot of defenders compare pageants to sports, and I can see their point, but I disagree too. Some sports parents go overboard, but I'm a strong believer in incouraging your children's talents and keeping them busy and involved. What purpose, do kiddie pagents serve?

While the Julia Roberts "hooker" costume may not have been revealing, there is certainly something disturbing about a mother choosing to dress her little girl as a prostitute. There actually ARE child prostitutes, as horrifying as it is, and there is nothing cute about it.
Julia Roberts has done a number of roles that do not portray prostitutes, Tinker Bell among them. How more appropriate would that have been for a little girl? But it wouldn't have been as controversial and that is what was desired after all.
In a perfect world, no child would ever be taught to "gyrate", whether competitively or not. I am not criticizing competitive dance for children- I think all kids benefit from dedication and having a focus in their life. Dance is great for kids, and when a child has natural talent and a love for dance it should always be encouraged. It is the sexualizing of very young girls, whether through dance or not, that is the problem. The kids may not be aware of it, but the adults certainly are.
My daughter was a professional ballerina from age 8, going on to dance with Boston Ballet, among other local and regional companies. There are lots of pitfalls in that world, though no competitions. (though the ballet world is VERY competitive- "Black Swan" was spot on).
Her career ended when she hit 5'7". Not too many tall ballerinas in the major companies. Most of the men are rather short, and dancing en pointe (in toe shoes) adds 3 inches to a woman's height. A male dancer's contract also limits the weight he is required to lift - which is why so many female dancers have eating disorders.
I wasn't sorry she went on to college and another career (she became a marine biologist and an attorney), but I often wonder how much she misses it.
I bet your daughter misses it a lot. The only things these tiara kids will miss, is being the center of the universe...and having their parent's undivided attention. When their pageant days are over, what then?

My niece was involved in the glitz pageants, but not until high school. It was such a scam, and so much emphasis was put on selling ads for the progam books. The pictures of the little kids, made me sick...the fake hair, fake teeth, make-up, the clothes, everything. What they really took pride in, were very young children, looking grown. One night, after a pageant, my niece and some other contestants went out to eat... decked out in gowns, sashes, and crowns. The waiter told them, they forgot the beauty part. One contestant was in her 40s, was overweight, wore no make-up, and had stringy hair. Her picture was horrible. What was she thinking? The 3 yr olds had the make-up caked on, but this grown woman wasn't wearing, even a dab of lipstick. I don't understand these things.

Obviously you support child pageants. I have no apologies for what I said about the pateants or parents. If you want to manipulate my words, go right ahead.

Easy, Alix. I'm sure eileen didn't mean any harm. We all feel strongly about this.

I bet your daughter misses it a lot. The only things these tiara kids will miss, is being the center of the universe...and having their parent's undivided attention. When their pageant days are over, what then?

I bet she misses it too. I know I can't watch a Nutcracker without being sad that she isn't dancing it anymore. Plus, all I look at is the dancers' feet. (all ballerinas and their moms look at dancers' feet- do they have "good feet" with no sickling) and what brand of pointe shoes they are wearing. My daughter wanted a little girl so badly. She has two ruffian little boys. She lost a little girl in between them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back