Another theory

Jeana (DP) said:
"Expensive" flower arrangement????? It looks to me like it would cost about $40 at most to buy something like that. Nothing in Darlie's house looks like it costs too much money. Everything looks pretty cheap to me.

and tacky. I can't believe how tacky her rooms look, LOl, too overdone...

Why was the child too scared to sleep in his own room?

I'd read somewhere, someone said it was an expensive flower arrangement, I don't recall seeing a pic of it or anything, hence my query. That's what really struck me about the crime at first. Staged, very little broken or knocked over.

You have two adults "fighting" supposedly, one following the other out through the room, into the kitchen and the perp goes out the door, and there's so little damaged, nothing missing and two children dead or dying, and the adult only injured.

IMO Darlie was into acquiring the trappings of what she perceived as wealth. There didn't seem to be any forethought for sustaining that perceived wealth.

mollymalone said:
IMO Darlie was into acquiring the trappings of what she perceived as wealth. There didn't seem to be any forethought for sustaining that perceived wealth.

Well, that's just it. She bought cheap stuff she thought looked "fancy" or whatever you want to call it. I liken it to very inexpensive bed and breakfast type stuff. You want it to look half way decent, but its probably that partical board quality furniture that you won't care too much if the guests destroy it. The most expensive "silk" flower arrangement I've ever seen was a few hundred bucks, and I wouldn't call that "expensive."

I wonder if people with NPD share similar early childhood experiences. I have always heard the descriptions of NPD but never if anything influences its development

StellaTravers said:
I wonder if people with NPD share similar early childhood experiences. I have always heard the descriptions of NPD but never if anything influences its development

NPD is a defense mechanism constructed by the person against childhood abuse frequently before the age of reason. One of the reasons why treatment is not very successful , its deeply rooted and an intregrated part of every aspect of their behavior and personality. All N's experience abuse either from parents or caregivers , peers even excessive bullying. N's choose this maligant self love , other children in identical circumstances may develop other disorders to cope with the trauma. Keep in mind that abuse is not always beatings and cigarette burns excessive attention and idealization withdrawal and smothering of the child are also abuse. See My post #38 for more on NPD. For in dept analysis google Sam Vankin who has written extensively on the subject and is a Narcissist. Its tragic, the narcissist is a predator and the victims often suffer post traumatic stress disorder and spend years getting over the abuse at the hands of the narcissist . You are unlikely to ever forget your interactions with one.

Darlie is in a most interesting position now--apparently the DNA testing is going to be conducted, but in my opinion that will merely slow the case down and is not going to produce evidence of an intruder. Previously, I had stated that there were four attempts to manufacture the intruder, but I think we can now add a fifth attempt because the business about the bloody fingerprint was also an attempt to convince people there was an intruder, although I think it was determined that Darlie could not be ruled out as the source of the print. In any event, all this shows me is that the defense understands the importance of the intruder because Darlie's case is sunk without one.

Unfortunately for Darlie, we have seen the approach she is taking now and I doubt it is going to work. I think we can call her approach the "two-track" approach. The first track involves a "stack the chips" approach. The defense is trying to get people so afraid that an innocent person will be executed that those people out of fear will suggest Darlie is innocent. The courts, however, will not overturn her conviction out of fear; they need evidence. Jeffrey MacDonald is taking the same approach, as his website says, "A wrongfully convicted man, an egregious miscarriage of justice." That is simply an attempt to instill fear, and it won't work for MacDonald, either. The second track I like to refer to as the "key that unlocks the door" approach. With that approach, the defendant, be it Darlie Routier, Jeffrey MacDonald, or whoever, keeps suggesting that the evidence is "out there, out there." This is an attempt to be released without ever having to produce the evidence that is, well, "out there." What I'm sure Darlie's defense team is aware of, but unwilling to admit, is that since Darlie has been convicted, she is presumed guilty on appeal and the burden of producing evidence is now on her. In order for Darlie to have a shot of going free, she has to produce the evidence that will exonerate her, namely, the intruder, but she isn't going to be able to produce it because it doesn't exist. The same goes for MacDonald; he is never going to be able to produce the necessary exculpatory evidence because it doesn't exist. A court is not going to overturn Darlie's conviction, or MacDonald's convictions for that matter, based on evidence that will always be "out there." That is why it is called the "burden of production."

Although there are some other cases where defendants have done similar things, the only one worth mentioning right at the moment is the Frances Newton case, which involved the woman executed in Texas in September of 2005 for shooting her husband and two children many years earlier, allegedly for insurance money. Frances Newton kept asserting that her husband, who allegedly had a long-time drug habit, was shot by a shadowy drug dealer named "Charlie" who was attempting to collect a drug debt from the husband. Frances Newton also tried to make people afraid that an innocent person was being executed and that "Charlie," who I don't believe was ever shown to exist, was, well, "out there." In my opinion, she was executed because she could never produce the evidence that would exonerate her. What I am trying to say is that Texas has been down this road before. I don't think I can fault Darlie's attorneys for trying the "intruder" approach, but let's keep in mind that without Darlie producing evidence, which can't be produced because it doesn't exist in the first place, Darlie likely will be executed.

SECTION ONE – General Overview:

In any event, I will start with the first topic, a general overview, but we should keep in my mind that we have to look at the other topics in order to nail everything down. My understanding is that Darlie had a very difficult childhood. She grew up in Pennsylvania and her parents divorced about the time she was seven years old. I have seen reference to one father being cold and distant, and another, a stepfather, being cold, distant, and abusive. I believe there was a reference to her acting out in high school, which to me indicates low self-esteem, although it doesn't concern me greatly since other people do that and they grow out of it. She meets Darren at age 15 and finds that he has a future. She sees that he can take her away from the miserable childhood. One year after they meet, Darren is not paying enough attention to her at a party and she wants to leave. She manipulates him by falsely telling him that someone tried to sexually assault her. She gets Darren attention. This shows us that she knows how to create "the phantom" to get what she wants. It also indicates to me that this is probably about the time she developed into a sociopath in that she sees that to get what she wants, she manipulates other people. She marries Darren at age 18, almost as soon as she is legally old enough to get married, because she wants to get away from that miserable childhood. She does not go to college, which is when a lot of people start learning to stand on their own two feet and develop the "ability to cope" skills because she has found someone who can take care of her for the rest of her life. Darren comes with the added benefit of not only having a future, but having a lot of money. She finds that spending money makes her feel good (it eases the emotional pain of her childhood) and she starts spending it like nobody is going to be printing it anymore. Darren and Darlie have occasional fights over the money during the next eight years, and most times that Darren won't come across with it, Darlie threatens to separate from him. I believe she actually did it once, but most of the time she merely threatens to do so, and Darren learns to come across with the money. This is simply more manipulation because she's pretty good at manipulating people. She and Darren outfit the house so it is soon referred to as "Nintendo House" because all of the neighborhood kids like to come there and play.

In any event, in 1996, Darren apparently started losing customers and he isn't bringing in as much money. Darlie starts to get depressed, even to the point of suicidal thoughts in early May, because they are having money problems and she can't spend it anymore like she used to do. Around the end of May, she starts pestering Darren for money because they need to buy tickets for the wedding that they will soon be attending and her trip a few weeks later with her friend Meredith. However, Darren has run completely out of money--he can't earn it, he fails on June 1st and June 3rd in trying to get a bank loan, and he can't borrow it from any other source. Their credit cards are maxed out. Life is spinning out of control for Darlie, which is the most dangerous time for any sociopath since sociopaths are control freaks, because they can't solve their money problems, which just seem to keep getting worse and worse. I infer from the circumstances that late on June 5th, she is still pressing him for the money because Darren all these years has essentially been an ATM machine on legs. However, Darren realizes that his back is to the wall. Darlie tries one last bit of manipulation because manipulation is the only thing she is good at: she knows that in the past, she has used the threat of separation to get what she wants, so she tells him in response to him telling her that he hasn't got the money that she wants a separation and will be going to stay with her friend Julie. Darren realizes this for what it is, her pressing him to try and get money. He tells her, "you know what Darlie, I'm leaving you, I have had enough of you." (I don't know what else Darren could have told her because his back is completely to the wall financially.)

At this point, Darlie is very angry because she has tried her very best manipulative trick and it hasn't worked although it always used to work; indeed, it blew up in her face. I believe that she went downstairs quite angry. She also must have realized that she only had two choices, neither of them very good: stand on her own two feet (which she has never done before and lets realize she never developed any "ability-to-cope" skills; she chose to put all her eggs in one basket by foregoing college to run off and marry Darren, and her parents never instilled any "ability-to-cope" skills in her, and certainly not enough to handle the bombshell that Darren was dropping out of her life) or go back to that miserable childhood of hers (and lets remember that her hooking up with Darren in the first place was to get away from that miserable childhood). Her only real choice is to go back to that miserable childhood. I believe that she looked at the two kids sleeping downstairs, and started thinking about how lucky they were to be at "Nintendo House" while she had to go back to her miserable childhood. She has a red-hot hatred of it. I believe that is when she picked up a knife from the kitchen and started stabbing them in a jealous rage. In other words, the rage trigger was Darren walking out of her life and the jealousy part was the misery she was going back to while the two kids got to stay at "Nintendo House." Although most people would say, "well I wouldn't do that," we have to remember that she is an emotionally-disturbed sociopath for whom life is spinning entirely out of control. I say this is a jealous rage case because the two children were stabbed very few times, relative to other cases, which indicates to me that she snapped out of the rage fairly quickly and probably said "what I am doing?" once she realized that Darren walking out of her life, and not the kids, were what made her so angry. I am sure that when she screamed and Darren came flying down the stairs, she probably told him, "look what you made me do!" At that point, Darren was probably wondering what he had done to make Darlie do what she did, but, in any event, they needed to come up with a quick plan to explain what had happened and that's where I believe they came up with the idea, and as I will point out in subsequent e-mails they aren't the first people to do so, that the "phantom" or as he is sometimes known, the "intruder" came in and did this. That is simply a way of blaming someone without blaming a specific person at all.

I bumped this thread cause I really believe this guy has something here. Although, I believe Darlie's personality disorder started earlier. Mama Darlie makes no secret that she was a bad and neglectful mother. Darlie was left at the age of 13 and 14 to care for her two younger sisters when she should have been out with her girlfriends and doing the silly things you do at that age. A very vulernable age we can all agree I think.

Anyway there are several more posts from this guy if you're interested.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back