AR - Thomas Naramore, 18 mos, dies in hot car, Hot Springs, 24 July 2015

The car seat in the back has always bothered me. Granted it's the best protection in a crash. But crash dummies that generate crash data are not human babies. They cannot choke, undo the latch or lots of other things that might happen with a real kid. I applaud all of the memory triggers--because parents are human as well. Clearly a family is stunned and grieving today. And this can never be put right.

I'd be very interested in the number of hot car deaths before and after this legislation. Not debating the wisdom or safety of rear car seats - just curious.

Why didn't the learned judge not want the authorities to respond to his own house? How about call 911, get kid out, start CPR on shady place in driveway, garage, yard until help arrived? Why get in the car and drive him around longer in the boiling hot car? Who else was at his house?

Bbm. Bingo. This guy was doing something he shouldn't have been. 2-year-olds can ask questions and tell stories. He couldn't afford to have the child wake up and see what he was doing, nor could he afford to have police coming to his house.

Isn't it sad that we would think to check for our briefcase, diaper bag, purse & that cell phone that grows out of most ears but we forget to check for a child? A living, breathing, human child. It bothers me that our priorities are so screwed up. And this isn't directed towards anyone, it's JMO

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I totally get that. I also understand how people say "how could a parent forget their own child?!" But accidents do happen to exhausted, over stressed, over scheduled parents. I'm a SAHM with young children (under 5). I spend all day driving from grocery store to camp to dance to karate to play dates to grandmas to the doctor, I'm a personal toddler taxi. Sometimes I'm trying to simultaneously drag a screaming child and a napping child plus groceries and my diaper bag into the house on a scorching day with a ringing phone and barking dogs waiting at the window and only a few minutes to get everyone back into the car for the next thing. It's chaotic and busy.

There is no excuse but awful, tragic mistakes do happen. Knowingly Leaving your kid in the car so you can grocery shop in peace or get a pedicure is different, it's neglect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The car seat in the back has always bothered me. Granted it's the best protection in a crash. But crash dummies that generate crash data are not human babies. They cannot choke, undo the latch or lots of other things that might happen with a real kid. I applaud all of the memory triggers--because parents are human as well. Clearly a family is stunned and grieving today. And this can never be put right.

Also, rear facing a seat (so the large car seat is facing the back of the seat) is recommended to at least 2 years now by the AAP meaning the parents literally can't seat the child. It's safest in a crash and I follow the recommendation myself but that could be part of it.

When we have an average of 37 threads per year (from above source) with page after page of posts expressing outrage.

If the adult charged with care of the child was drunk, high, gambling, involved in sex, especially if there are details to be had, they'll be charged. If he/she is a professional and not involved in drinking, drugging, gambling or sex, well, bless their hearts, it could happen to any of us and they've suffered so much already.

I agree, and abhor that reality. :(

Isn't it sad that we would think to check for our briefcase, diaper bag, purse & that cell phone that grows out of most ears but we forget to check for a child? A living, breathing, human child. It bothers me that our priorities are so screwed up. And this isn't directed towards anyone, it's JMO

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This is exactly why I call BS on the "I forgot" defense. Nobody ever forgets their cell phone. A-holes. Babies are, gee, kinda more important than cell phones and briefcases.

I totally get that. I also understand how people say "how could a parent forget their own child?!" But accidents do happen to exhausted, over stressed, over scheduled parents. I'm a SAHM with young children (under 5). I spend all day driving from grocery store to camp to dance to karate to play dates to grandmas to the doctor, I'm a personal toddler taxi. Sometimes I'm trying to simultaneously drag a screaming child and a napping child plus groceries and my diaper bag into the house on a scorching day with a ringing phone and barking dogs waiting at the window and only a few minutes to get everyone back into the car for the next thing. It's chaotic and busy.

There is no excuse but awful, tragic mistakes do happen. Knowingly Leaving your kid in the car so you can grocery shop in peace or get a pedicure is different, it's neglect.

Congrats for being a stay-at-home mom. But it sure sounds like you are running yourself ragged with hauling your kids to "enrichment activities". Why not take a step back and ask yourself if a 5 year old or less than five year old really need karate lessons and dance lessons? How many "play dates" do children really need? Are they having actual problems socializing with their peers that they need the activities?

Best of luck to you in any case. It does not sound like you are about to forget one of your children.

Let's face it, folks. No, this could and would not happen to "anybody". Thank God. But I do believe those to whom it happens have allowed their life to get far, far out of control. Too stressed, too distracted.

Odd how there seems to be no updates and very little media coverage on this in general.

Congrats for being a stay-at-home mom. But it sure sounds like you are running yourself ragged with hauling your kids to "enrichment activities". Why not take a step back and ask yourself if a 5 year old or less than five year old really need karate lessons and dance lessons? How many "play dates" do children really need? Are they having actual problems socializing with their peers that they need the activities?

Best of luck to you in any case. It does not sound like you are about to forget one of your children.

Let's face it, folks. No, this could and would not happen to "anybody". Thank God. But I do believe those to whom it happens have allowed their life to get far, far out of control. Too stressed, too distracted.

But this guy was at home for 4 hours with responsibility for 1 kid. He was not in a high stress situation, IMO.

But this guy was at home for 4 hours with responsibility for 1 kid. He was not in a high stress situation, IMO.

I wonder if he was the usual one to pick the child up and was usually responsible for him at that time? I was a SAHM so I ALWAYS expected to be responsible for the kids.I wouldn't have left a child in the car because the house would have been too quiet. If I was home, the kids were home. But my husband rarely picked the kids up from school and it would have been unusual ...so IDK.

I wonder if he was the usual one to pick the child up and was usually responsible for him at that time? I was a SAHM so I ALWAYS expected to be responsible for the kids.I wouldn't have left a child in the car because the house would have been too quiet. If I was home, the kids were home. But my husband rarely picked the kids up from school and it would have been unusual ...so IDK.

Like if he didn't regularly have him at that time... so forgot him in the car and didn't notice he was missing at home because he wasn't usually with him then?

Now I'm wondering why he went back out to the car after four hours alone.

Maybe he was giving his child free range? You know, so as not to cause him untold mental anguish in later years?

Like if he didn't regularly have him at that time... so forgot him in the car and didn't notice he was missing at home because he wasn't usually with him then?

Now I'm wondering why he went back out to the car after four hours alone.

But still, how often was HE home when the child WASN'T home? If he had such a demanding job that he couldn't regularly be "burdened" with childcare/drop-off/pick-up, how accustomed could he have been to being in the house without the child there? It shouldn't have taken him 4 hours in the middle of the day to realize that it had been way too quiet for way too long. I can ALMOST understand when people forget to drop off and spend the whole day at WORK, but how do you LIVE with a normal, rambunctious 2-year-old and not think it odd that they are not underfoot, asking for a snack, or begging you to play over a FOUR HOUR period in your own home. Impossible. Something stinks. I read in one of the linked articles that the place first responders were called to was several blocks away from the Naramore home. Wth??? He has to drive several blocks away from his own home to call for help? (Of course I can't find that quote now....perhaps even the media is backtracking and covering up for the judge.)

J

But still, how often was HE home when the child WASN'T home? If he had such a demanding job that he couldn't regularly be "burdened" with childcare/drop-off/pick-up, how accustomed could he have been to being in the house without the child there? It shouldn't have taken him 4 hours in the middle of the day to realize that it had been way too quiet for way too long. I can ALMOST understand when people forget to drop off and spend the whole day at WORK, but how do you LIVE with a normal, rambunctious 2-year-old and not think it odd that they are not underfoot, asking for a snack, or begging you to play over a FOUR HOUR period. Impossible. Something stinks. I read in one of the linked articles that the place first responders were called to was several blocks away from the Naramore home. Wth??? He has to drive several blocks away from his own home to call for help? (Of course I can't find that quote now....perhaps even the media is backtracking and covering up for the judge.)

Sseing as how he was at home mid-day when his wife was not....

I am thinking a nooner with a person not his wife?

MOO, just speculation

J

But still, how often was HE home when the child WASN'T home? If he had such a demanding job that he couldn't regularly be "burdened" with childcare/drop-off/pick-up, how accustomed could he have been to being in the house without the child there? It shouldn't have taken him 4 hours in the middle of the day to realize that it had been way too quiet for way too long. I can ALMOST understand when people forget to drop off and spend the whole day at WORK, but how do you LIVE with a normal, rambunctious 2-year-old and not think it odd that they are not underfoot, asking for a snack, or begging you to play over a FOUR HOUR period. Impossible. Something stinks. I read in one of the linked articles that the place first responders were called to was several blocks away from the Naramore home. Wth??? He has to drive several blocks away from his own home to call for help? (Of course I can't find that quote now....perhaps even the media is backtracking and covering up for the judge.)

Oh, and the media is definitely sanitizing things for Hizzoner. Look at what happened to Justin Ross Harris. No media chokeholds there.

It's good to be da judge.

Sseing as how he was at home mid-day when his wife was not....

I am thinking a nooner with a person not his wife?

MOO, just speculation

That's where my mind is going, too. Or, I am reminded of the foster parent (in Kansas, I believe?) who had just scored some dope and had to scurry inside to enjoy it before the baby woke up. (Sorry, can't remember names in that case but I think it was two dads with several adopted and foster kids).

But still, how often was HE home when the child WASN'T home? If he had such a demanding job that he couldn't regularly be "burdened" with childcare/drop-off/pick-up, how accustomed could he have been to being in the house without the child there? It shouldn't have taken him 4 hours in the middle of the day to realize that it had been way too quiet for way too long. I can ALMOST understand when people forget to drop off and spend the whole day at WORK, but how do you LIVE with a normal, rambunctious 2-year-old and not think it odd that they are not underfoot, asking for a snack, or begging you to play over a FOUR HOUR period in your own home. Impossible. Something stinks. I read in one of the linked articles that the place first responders were called to was several blocks away from the Naramore home. Wth??? He has to drive several blocks away from his own home to call for help? (Of course I can't find that quote now....perhaps even the media is backtracking and covering up for the judge.)

I agree something stinks. I was asking the previous poster to clarify is all.

The driving to his neighbor's house is just crazy. Your child is dead in your car and you get behind the wheel and drive to the neighbor's?!! Hospital I could maybe understand. In a panic you might just react. But this... I don't like it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back