***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
So very true. I can't talk too much to my family about missing person cases because they look at me like I'm strange that I care about that kind of stuff. And they tell me they dont want to hear about it. I guess its upsetting and its easier to live thinking those things wont happen to you. I just dont understand apathy to matters of such importance.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

In my family, we discuss crime stories, but only the ones that are extremely high profile, very unusual, or from the area. For example, we talked about the guy who ate the other guy's face down in Florida.

My gosh, in every case on here, people say "why didn't they hire a PI sooner, etc?"

As far as WS radio...people here already know about Mickey and are already looking for her. They have no reason to come on here, it is preaching to the choir. And they probably do not have any other info to give that would be helpful-they seem pretty much at a loss to me.

Repeating information is never a bad thing. Maybe hearing it again jogs someone's memory?

Giving up or going silent will never help anything. So many families DO get continuous national coverage and it isn't because they are just lucky. It is because they don't take no for an answer.

I live here in Texas and I could practically spit and hit the Louisiana border, I bet I could survey 100 people randomly and none of them would even know who Mickey Shunick is.

My gosh, in every case on here, people say "why didn't they hire a PI sooner, etc?"

As far as WS radio...people here already know about Mickey and are already looking for her. They have no reason to come on here, it is preaching to the choir. And they probably do not have any other info to give that would be helpful-they seem pretty much at a loss to me.

Yep, if the Shunicks want to make more people aware of the case, they should go on a show or network that has never or rarely mentioned the case, so they can reach their audience.

In high school, I took a forensics case, and one day, my teacher was telling us about all these crime stories, and she would say, "Do you guys know who ____ was?" And I was the only one who knew most of them, so I would explain every case to the entire class. So my teacher mentioned that serial killers follow crime stories, HAHA. And then a few weeks later, we had a school shooting drill and they all starting joking that I was the killer since I know about all the crime stories. LOL. But it was funny, and it wasn't as bad as when we had a lockdown because someone said they were going to shoot up at our school, and my teacher pointed to the quietest boy in the case, and yelled, "Kyle's the killer!" Yeah.....

Repeating information is never a bad thing. Maybe hearing it again jogs someone's memory?

Giving up or going silent will never help anything. So many families DO get continuous national coverage and it isn't because they are just lucky. It is because they don't take no for an answer.

I live here in Texas and I could practically spit and hit the Louisiana border, I bet I could survey 100 people randomly and none of them would even know who Mickey Shunick is.

What cases have gotten continuos national coverage? I can name like...5...from the past 20 years. And I'm sure those aren't the only parents who have worked hard to get their relative's case media coverage. I definitely think that parents can make a difference, but the media ultimately decides how much coverage a case will receive.

I don't think Mickey ever got any farther away than perhaps Whiskey Bay...so in the end, having people all over the country know her face may mean very little...just my opinion.

In high school, I took a forensics case, and one day, my teacher was telling us about all these crime stories, and she would say, "Do you guys know who ____ was?" And I was the only one who knew most of them, so I would explain every case to the entire class. So my teacher mentioned that serial killers follow crime stories, HAHA. And then a few weeks later, we had a school shooting drill and they all starting joking that I was the killer since I know about all the crime stories. LOL. But it was funny, and it wasn't as bad as when we had a lockdown because someone said they were going to shoot up at our school, and my teacher pointed to the quietest boy in the case, and yelled, "Kyle's the killer!" Yeah.....

Wow. People can't have their hearts touched by how horrible it would be to have a loved one abducted? and therefore want to help others who are misfortunate enough to have this happen to them? No, they must be serial killers or weirdos. What?!

Wow. People can't have their hearts touched by how horrible it would be to have a loved one abducted? and therefore want to help others who are misfortunate enough to have this happen to them? No, they must be serial killers or weirdos. What?!

Oh, they were all just joking around. No one seriously thought I was a serial killer, and I didn't feel like I was being made to be a weirdo. My teacher said that serial killers do know a lot about true crime, which I think is true, so it was just funny because my teacher would go, "Do you guys know who ____?" One hand goes up; It's mine. I explain the case. Repeat process.

It's written on her FB page by the owner of the page..."Let's hope she gets set free on this independence day!". Is she being held in captivity? Sex slave human trafficking ring ordeal? That's how I take it...

I think it means they are holding on to hope that someone has Mickey and are taking care of her and will eventually release her rather than the alternative.

Yeah, I don't understand why I see posts that talk about how the Shunicks have worked so hard to get Mickey media coverage, and their persistence is why she has so much. But Mickey doesn't have much national coverage at all. And from what locals say, the Lafayette media isn't all over the case either...

I am not going to say one negative word about the family...I think they are coping the best they can. But I think there is more that other people could be doing. I volunteered what time I could to posting flyers, searching, donating. But after they didn't need us "foot soldiers" anymore, I felt sorta useless just sitting around. After staring at pics of DWT's and feeling even more useless, I contacted the social media team several times with suggestions and ideas about getting more national coverage. I got no response at all from them! I haven't seen any of them in person since we quit the foot searches. I felt like...what do I need to do, go to the HQ and ask to be on the social media team? I mean, if you're gonna do this, go big or go home ya know? Get busy contacting people, far and wide. Get her picture up and her name out, more than what it is. Local media just really pisses me off--I contacted lots of them as well and only heard replies back from 2 of them. We were talking here, about how if national media picked it up, then local media might also. But how to get national attention, if the official LFM social media team doesn't seem to want to try?

I don't think Mickey ever got any farther away than perhaps Whiskey Bay...so in the end, having people all over the country know her face may mean very little...just my opinion.

In every case, I always think about how national coverage won't make a difference, but I do think that the local media's coverage does correspond (somewhat) to the national media's. Like if the local media sees that the national media is interested in the case, they'll be like, "Wow, this is a case with national interest, and we have a "front-row" view". But if the national media has no interest, the local media might also only have a moderate amount of interest in the case.

I tell everyone who will listen about abduction and murder, especially parents I see in stores who aren't watching their children.

If they think I am strange, so be it. But, if it causes one person to pay closer attention to the people around them, it is worth it.

Estimates say that 4% of the population or 1 in 25 people are sociopaths. That doesn't mean they are serial killers or murderers or rapists, but the potential is there. They are your co-workers, neighbors, parents of your kids' friends....

I just borrowed the book, "The Sociopath Next Door" from a friend yesterday which states 1 in 25 people are sociopaths. I'm looking forward to reading it.

In every case, I always think about how national coverage won't make a difference, but I do think that the local media's coverage does correspond (somewhat) to the national media's. Like if the local media sees that the national media is interested in the case, they'll be like, "Wow, this is a case with national interest, and we have a "front-row" view". But if the national media has no interest, the local media might also only have a moderate amount of interest in the case.

Pretty much everything we have heard from locals is that there is no real media in Lafayette.

Another issue is that every area has their own "Mickey", or other key cases, so they are not likely to pick up out-of-town stories, unless there is something new to say.

Pretty much everything we have heard from locals is that there is no real media in Lafayette.

Another issue is that every area has their own "Mickey", or other key cases, so they are not likely to pick up out-of-town stories, unless there is something new to say.

There may be "no media" in La, but I would think the family would be screaming their message to find Mickey from the rooftops! The social media money machine is not bringing Mickey home. I am 100% frustrated because this case is already cold. If I were in this horrible situation that the Shunicks are in, there is NOTHING I wouldn't do - I'd be on any and every radio/tv/news show I could get on. I would answer every question with nothing held back because you never know what might be a useful piece of info. And I would accept the help of anyone who was offering to help - the more the better. My life would be an open book no matter what skeletons were in it. There would not be anything more important to me than bringing my child home, even if it was just her body. And, unfortunately. it looks like that is all we can hope for at this point. It's just so sad.

I just borrowed the book, "The Sociopath Next Door" from a friend yesterday which states 1 in 25 people are sociopaths. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Great book, I just finished reading it! Kinda creepy.

I am not going to say one negative word about the family...I think they are coping the best they can. But I think there is more that other people could be doing. I volunteered what time I could to posting flyers, searching, donating. But after they didn't need us "foot soldiers" anymore, I felt sorta useless just sitting around. After staring at pics of DWT's and feeling even more useless, I contacted the social media team several times with suggestions and ideas about getting more national coverage. I got no response at all from them! I haven't seen any of them in person since we quit the foot searches. I felt like...what do I need to do, go to the HQ and ask to be on the social media team? I mean, if you're gonna do this, go big or go home ya know? Get busy contacting people, far and wide. Get her picture up and her name out, more than what it is. Local media just really pisses me off--I contacted lots of them as well and only heard replies back from 2 of them. We were talking here, about how if national media picked it up, then local media might also. But how to get national attention, if the official LFM social media team doesn't seem to want to try?
Wow, maybe the family thinks the professionals - the police- are best qualified to get them answers. Maybe they actually trust the police and are working with them. Maybe they feel that "national attention" is useless to them in finding out what happened to their daughter in Lafayette, la. Maybe they feel uncomfortable with all these people all over demanding to know everything about their daughter to satisfy their morbid curiosity, and telling them what they should be doing. Maybe they are psysically and emotionally exhausted and are simply relying on the police to do their job.

It seems to me that these cases claim media attention as long as LE PC's are taking place...we saw this especially in Isabel's case. Once those daily press conferences stopped, so did the media stories, local and national. And this is a 6-year old child who supposedly was taken from her bed in the night. Her case is just an example, but it was the same with Lisa Irwin and others. There are a half dozen or more little children who went missing in the night in the past year or so, and we never hear about any of them unless there is a statement from LE. To me, that seems to be the key.

JMO, far more people use social media these days than pay attention to the news on TV or listen to a radio show. And almost no one seems to read newspapers. Maybe SM is the equivalent of "shouting from the rooftops" nowadays...

Wow, maybe the family thinks the professionals - the police- are best qualified to get them answers. Maybe they actually trust the police and are working with them. Maybe they feel that "national attention" is useless to them in finding out what happened to their daughter in Lafayette, la. Maybe they feel uncomfortable with all these people all over demanding to know everything about their daughter to satisfy their morbid curiosity, and telling them what they should be doing. Maybe they are psysically and emotionally exhausted and are simply relying on the police to do their job.

:goodpost:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member