GUILTY Australia - Brendan Bernard, 32, found dismembered, Melbourne, Vic, 27 Jan 2015

This is a
Shocking one... Hopefully the killer will be found soon!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-08/more-body-parts-discovered-in-melbourne-river/6078196

The man's identity will not be released until it can be forensically confirmed, police say.

"He was identified, shall we say, by a close family relative who saw the tattoo and contacted police. In fact [he] went into the North Melbourne police station," Detective Inspector Hughes said.

"Until we confirm who he is we won't release his name. We will release it as soon as we're able because we want to know his associates."

The man had not been reported missing and his family last spoke to him around Christmas, which was not unusual.

Now I suppose we have to sit and wait until they find the rest of him (sorry no other way to put it), and release his ID.

Hopefully that will be when they arrest someone.

The poor family, what a terrible way to find out that your loved one has been murdered.

'Bags of flesh' found in Melbourne river was man aged in 30s, estranged from family

Inspector Hughes said the victim last spoke to his family at Christmas but was not reported as missing as it was normal for him not to contact them for weeks apart.
He urged the offender to hand themselves into police, who were hot on their heels.
"We are methodically working our way towards him or her. And if they would like to contact crime stoppers, we'll certainly make ourselves available for interview," Inspector Hughes said.
Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...30s-estranged-from-family#wOJT7tXdJa2wuHmK.99

Just a thought .... wondering if it's in any way connected to a shooting that occurred in Sunshine West in early February where a man was shot dead in his home. The river where the body parts were found is only a couple of suburbs away and the timeline would match up for how long the body has been in the water, and no gunman has been found yet. Just been thinking about it and there could be a link, but then again ..... :thinking:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...ne-west-shooting/story-fni0fee2-1227205771912

Just found this posted 22hrs ago but can't read it cause I've read my maximum for the week grrr

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-...h-is-scaled-back/story-fni0fee2-1227214357254

right now, that article does not report anything that was not already stated or reported elsewhere in this thread so you're not missing anything major, promise. This was honestly the only thing I hadn't read elsewhere and didn't seem to provide a clue: he lived on the "fringes of Melbourne’s CBD."

All's gone pretty quiet on this case.. Not much news since the 13th or so, with the cops interviewing people who "were not persons of interest". At least we know how they got this poor man's body parts out into river. Seems they weren't just chucked in - the killer clearly made an effort to take the parts out into the deeper water. Sucks for him that body parts do tend to wash up where there's a current...

HOMICIDE squad detectives zoned in on a park bench beside the Maribyrnong River as the search for body parts of a tattooed man continued.
experts closely examined the bench, facing a children’s playground, as detectives spoke with the owners of a canoe club.
Officers roped off an area and a Victoria Police diver appeared to search a specific part of the water.
Forensic experts later took samples from the canoe club pontoon, suggesting police believe it may have been used to dump the tattooed man in the river.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...dy-parts-mystery/story-fni0fee2-1227215270807

Good question, re why they didn't just dump his whole body...

Maybe they didn't have access to a car? Hence, the shopping bags. Carried the parts to the river and used the boat, rather than driving them out bush.

I'm thinking of how hard and revolting it must be, to cut up a dead human body. I was researching this very thing for the Thames Torso Murders recently and it just really struck me, the reality of having to cut a person up and what that must be like. And what sort of person could do it as part of a murder (as opposed to medical personel, I mean). Nobody decent, that's a given.

Unplanned murder, no car, used what was handy locally... is my guess. Unless he was into some serious drug crowd or the like, and his body was an 'example' made. I also guess more than person was involved.

Hopefully the killer/s were dumb enough to leave evidence in the bath tub drains or something.

I always wonder why anyone is not sure of the motive when body parts are found somewhere. The motive is always to get rid of the body and avoid detection surely? The only time where this isn't the case I would have thought, would be if the dismemberment was part of some sort of sick sexual desire that some murderers and serial killers display. It is incredibly brutal and not many people take the route of dismemberment but it is one way of making a body disappear. If the body had never surfaced, they may well have gotten away with the crime. Bernard was dead for about a week at most, they will still be able to get a bit of evidence. If they came across bones years later, they would never be able to be sure he was dismembered as his body could have been dispersed by animals and not be able to determine a cause of death. A week later, the connections are still clear enough and witnesses memories fairly clear...

I hope they solve this case very soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back