Australia Australia - Corryn Rayney, 44, Como, WA, 7 August 2007

THe graphic of how Corryn was buried in that first link really freaks me out!!

I have been gripped by this case and glued to twitter for the last 3 days waiting for updates. The prosecutions case although circumstantial will, I believe, be quite compelling.

I cannot believe that a place card with his name on it was found just 100m from the body. May as well had a tattoo etched on his face saying 'I killed my wife".

He allegedly made 2 calls to his eldest daughter between 10.15 and 10.30 to find what time she would be coming home from a concert. She was due home at 10.45 pm but he did not wait up another 15 mins for her. It would also seem he was not concerned about where Corryn was, despite knowing she would normally arrive home at 9.45pm and then not being concerned about her not being at home in the morning - apparently she never went to work early.

Lying about his alarm not working and which car he drove to a dinner party in, could be his downfall. Plus bugging the home phone and removing the bug two days before she vanished was very suspicious.

The motive for her death was clearly not sexual or theft. I have thought about the fact Corryn may have been killed as a result of a personal vendetta against her husband and things done to set him up but how would they have managed to get hold of that place card? Why would the killer have buried her so deeply? Did the police find any other suspicious DNA in her car? It would be virtually impossible to commit a crime like that and not leave some DNA in the vehicle.

I really do believe after hearing more facts that Lloyd Rayney did murder his wife. What I hate is his smug look and that he seems so confident that he is not going to jail. I also hate the fact that his daughters are thoroughly convinced of his innocence. I cannot help but wonder how much they knew of his affairs and his gambling problems. Clearly they are not inside the court room hearing the evidence as they are witnesses but I wonder if they are reading what has been disclosed in the press.

It's hard to imagine how the girls can escape reading what's in the press. And what is truly bizarre to me, given they will be prosecution witnesses, is that the only three people he's allowed to discuss the case with are one of his sisters (not the one I went to Curtin Uni with as far as I can make out) and his daughters. (see links sent earlier)

How the heck does that work?? Surely he'll be trying to orchestrate their evidence. Although if he's managed to convince them he's innocent, then trying to coach them in what to say would I guess, give away the truth to them, perhaps.

Be fascinating to see what the defence team can come up with, that's for sure!!

:waitasec:

And yes, that smug look makes my hand itch with wanting to remove it from his face

JMO MOO

Yes, after three years this man finally goes to trial! If I get a day off next week I would like to attend the court proceedings as a member of the public.

Another press report:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-17/court-told-mrs-rayney-dragged-across-yard/4136056

An excerpt:
"The prosecution told the court the marriage had broken down, and almost a month before the murder, Rayney told a former colleague he hated his wife.

The colleague is expected to testify it was said in a serious way.

"A snake and a wicked man who slept around for many years."
Corryn Rayney describing her husband
Prosecutors say Mrs Rayney described her husband as a snake and a wicked man who had slept around behind her back for many years.

The prosecution alleges the barrister had previously had an affair with a former colleague and was a chronic gambler who had lost tens of thousands of dollars."

Another excerpt:
"Lying alleged
The court was told the barrister lied about using his wife's car to attend a work function.

It heard a dinner place card with Rayney's name on it, from a Law Chamber event he attended with colleagues, was found in Kings Park after she disappeared but before her body was discovered.

The prosecution said almost a year later, Rayney told a colleague he had driven to the dinner in his wife's car.

The court was told witnesses would testify they had received a lift home from the event with Rayney in his car, not his wife's.

It is the prosecution's case he lied to try to cover up his guilt."

Hope you can make it YN, and give us some inside insights afterwards. Great to have some sleuthers on the spot there.

:twocents:

JMO MOO

Respectfully snipped.

Hi MD, you may be aware that I lived in Perth for 10 years (back in Brissie now). In fact I lived in Malcolm Street, West Perth, very near one of the main entrances to Kings Park.

For those who don't know King's Park it is a huge botanical garden
which doubles as a war memorial. Trees planted within it all have attached a plaque in memory of a WA serviceman from all conflicts in which Australia has been involved.

It also has a memorial to the victims of the Bali Bombing (many of whom came from Perth) as well as numerous smaller parks, picnic areas, cafes, a fancy restaurant (the name of which escapes me at present) kids playground areas, a small Tree Top Walk, fountains, spaces where live theatre happens by day and night, observation tower, etc and so forth.

Many weddings occur in Kings Park. On Anzac Day the huge Cenotaph is surrounded by thousands of people of all ages from about 3am.

I guess, what I am trying to convey here, is that King's Park is not some quiet secluded poorly lit place devoid of people, on the whole.

Even late on a week night, I struggled for some time to think where in Kings Park the alleged perp could have buried Corryn (the ground would probably not have been soft or easily yielding) without anybody noticing?

And then I recalled driving through Kings Park from the Kings Park road entrance other side of the road just above Parliament House, and wending my way down towards Crawley, near the rear of some UWA residential colleges. When I saw the pictures yesterday of where the grave was, I thought yes, that fits, I can see that area on my right (in my minds eye) heading down that particular road.

Even so, people drive through Kings Park (slowly, because there are speed bumps) day and night for all sorts of reasons. LR took a HUGE risk of being seen.

It seems his risk paid off to the extend that he does not appear to have been seen at the time (as far as we know at this stage) but then he failed to notice bollards and a minor item that had fallen out of the car. LOL

Which in turn says to me, that while the murder may have been premeditated, he was in a state of panic carrying out the burial.

For a barrister, distinct lack of method.

JMO MOO

Thanks Kimster! This case has really piqued my interest, and just at the right time too, as the case is starting to be tried.

It's really giving me a feel for the Baden-Clay case. So much mainly circumstantial evidence. So much motive though. And the prosecution holding back info to the public til the trial.

Beats me how he wrangled bail and a judge-only trial!

Yeah, it's amazing what having 'friends in high places' will let you get away with.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/14257940/accuseds-many-lies-to-cover-his-tracks/

Excerpt:-
"Police investigating the disappearance of Corryn Rayney in 2007 believed lies told by her husband led to potentially incriminating evidence being lost, the Supreme Court was told yesterday.

Prosecutor John Agius said that the day after Corryn Rayney went missing on August 7, 2007, Lloyd Rayney misled police about whether their home security alarm had recorded being switched on and off.

Mr Agius said detectives did not test Mr Rayney's honesty because of who he was."[/I]

Bolded By Me (BBM)

Even so, people drive through Kings Park (slowly, because there are speed bumps) day and night for all sorts of reasons. LR took a HUGE risk of being seen.

It seems his risk paid off to the extend that he does not appear to have been seen at the time (as far as we know at this stage) but then he failed to notice bollards and a minor item that had fallen out of the car. LOL

Hi GG.

I agree Kings Park is a busy place. I have visited the place where Corryns body was found during the day but that was in springtime. That stretch of road is probably the quietest of all the main routes and those bush trails can feel a little eerie. Since this happened late at night and in the middle of winter, I can see how someone could be there for some time without being noticed.

I think the place card is most likely to have fallen out of his jacket pocket when he pulled something out, maybe a pair of gloves or a hanky. If it fell out of her car then the prosecutions case would be compromised. I wonder if he went to the area a day or so before to assess the area.

The fact that the digging implement has never been found is a big piece of the puzzle that is missing. Of course it's possible that he ditched it somewhere and went to retrieve before going to work the next morning.

JMO

Yeah, it's amazing what having 'friends in high places' will let you get away with.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/14257940/accuseds-many-lies-to-cover-his-tracks/

"Police investigating the disappearance of Corryn Rayney in 2007 believed lies told by her husband led to potentially incriminating evidence being lost, the Supreme Court was told yesterday.

Prosecutor John Agius said that the day after Corryn Rayney went missing on August 7, 2007, Lloyd Rayney misled police about whether their home security alarm had recorded being switched on and off.

Mr Agius said detectives did not test Mr Rayney's honesty because of who he was."[/I]

Bolded By Me (BBM)

Exactly, also he apparently thought that the man who had fitted the listening device in his ceilling so he could monitor Corryn's calls, would forget that he had done that, and either not come forward after her murder, or, if he did remember (lol) would stick with LR's pre-arranged story explaining why they had been installed !!

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/r...ening-statement-continues-20120717-227j2.html

The arrogance is stunning

:banghead:

JMO MOO

Hi GG.

I agree Kings Park is a busy place. I have visited the place where Corryns body was found during the day but that was in springtime. That stretch of road is probably the quietest of all the main routes and those bush trails can feel a little eerie. Since this happened late at night and in the middle of winter, I can see how someone could be there for some time without being noticed.

I think the place card is most likely to have fallen out of his jacket pocket when he pulled something out, maybe a pair of gloves or a hanky. If it fell out of her car then the prosecutions case would be compromised. I wonder if he went to the area a day or so before to assess the area.

The fact that the digging implement has never been found is a big piece of the puzzle that is missing. Of course it's possible that he ditched it somewhere and went to retrieve before going to work the next morning.

JMO

Thanks MD, was I anywhere in the ballpark thinking the site was down towards Crawley (back of UWA) or had I totally bushwhacked myself?

Yes, I wonder if the digging implement has ever been found?

:please:

JMO MOO

THe graphic of how Corryn was buried in that first link really freaks me out!! I have been gripped by this case and glued to twitter for the last 3 days waiting for updates. The prosecutions case although circumstantial will, I believe, be quite compelling.

I cannot believe that a place card with his name on it was found just 100m from the body. May as well had a tattoo etched on his face saying 'I killed my wife".

He allegedly made 2 calls to his eldest daughter between 10.15 and 10.30 to find what time she would be coming home from a concert. She was due home at 10.45 pm but he did not wait up another 15 mins for her. It would also seem he was not concerned about where Corryn was, despite knowing she would normally arrive home at 9.45pm and then not being concerned about her not being at home in the morning - apparently she never went to work early.

Lying about his alarm not working and which car he drove to a dinner party in, could be his downfall. Plus bugging the home phone and removing the bug two days before she vanished was very suspicious.

The motive for her death was clearly not sexual or theft. I have thought about the fact Corryn may have been killed as a result of a personal vendetta against her husband and things done to set him up but how would they have managed to get hold of that place card? Why would the killer have buried her so deeply? Did the police find any other suspicious DNA in her car? It would be virtually impossible to commit a crime like that and not leave some DNA in the vehicle.

I really do believe after hearing more facts that Lloyd Rayney did murder his wife. What I hate is his smug look and that he seems so confident that he is not going to jail. I also hate the fact that his daughters are thoroughly convinced of his innocence. I cannot help but wonder how much they knew of his affairs and his gambling problems. Clearly they are not inside the court room hearing the evidence as they are witnesses but I wonder if they are reading what has been disclosed in the press.

Great post mouse detective.

Yes, how Corryn was buried is truly horrible!

Looking at the graphic in the article below, it appears that the killer didn't dig the hole quite deep enough as Corryn's knees protruded above the normal ground level. It then appears from the picture that the person burying her then had to mound the soil over the top of her knees to conceal them from sight. My own opinion from looking at the graphic.

In prosecution's opinion Corryn was buried upside down to encourage decomposition of her head and neck, so as to make identification of the cause of death difficult.

Mouse, like you, I can't stand his smug look and I feel sorry that it took so long for police to arrest him. Unfortunately, in my opinion, his daughters have been under his influence for too long.

In My Opinion.
Boldings By Me

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...ler-husband-took-chance-on-murder-court-told/

"She was deliberately buried head down, feet up . . . so as to encourage the decomposition of her head and neck and to put that furthest from the surface," Mr Agius said.

He said the State believed there was "no coincidence" the 44-year-old was buried this way after suffering injuries to her head, neck and brain.

Justice Martin had been told that her position in the grave and the decomposition made identifying a precise cause of death difficult."

Exactly, also he apparently thought that the man who had fitted the listening device in his ceilling so he could monitor Corryn's calls, would forget that he had done that, and either not come forward after her murder, or, if he did remember (lol) would stick with LR's pre-arranged story explaining why they had been installed !!

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/r...ening-statement-continues-20120717-227j2.html

The arrogance is stunning:banghead:

JMO MOO

I think you are so right, GeminiGirl!

It is amazing how all these 'alleged killers' think that people will just 'bow down' and do whatever they want!

MOO
BBM

Respectfully snipped.

Hi MD, you may be aware that I lived in Perth for 10 years (back in Brissie now). In fact I lived in Malcolm Street, West Perth, very near one of the main entrances to Kings Park.

For those who don't know King's Park it is a huge botanical garden
which doubles as a war memorial. Trees planted within it all have attached a plaque in memory of a WA serviceman from all conflicts in which Australia has been involved.

It also has a memorial to the victims of the Bali Bombing (many of whom came from Perth) as well as numerous smaller parks, picnic areas, cafes, a fancy restaurant (the name of which escapes me at present) kids playground areas, a small Tree Top Walk, fountains, spaces where live theatre happens by day and night, observation tower, etc and so forth.

Many weddings occur in Kings Park. On Anzac Day the huge Cenotaph is surrounded by thousands of people of all ages from about 3am.

I guess, what I am trying to convey here, is that King's Park is not some quiet secluded poorly lit place devoid of people, on the whole.

Even late on a week night, I struggled for some time to think where in Kings Park the alleged perp could have buried Corryn (the ground would probably not have been soft or easily yielding) without anybody noticing?

And then I recalled driving through Kings Park from the Kings Park road entrance other side of the road just above Parliament House, and wending my way down towards Crawley, near the rear of some UWA residential colleges. When I saw the pictures yesterday of where the grave was, I thought yes, that fits, I can see that area on my right (in my minds eye) heading down that particular road.

Which in turn says to me, that while the murder may have been premeditated, he was in a state of panic carrying out the burial.

For a barrister, distinct lack of method.

JMO MOO

Great description of Kings Park, GeminiGirl.

Yes, it's a huge inner city park, highly frequented but, as you know, much of it is natural bushland and at night it is VERY DARK when you drive away from the main entrance restaurants and lit up lookout area and venture deeper into the park.

I've driven through that enormous park late at night and seen very few other cars. It's quite spooky.

But still, I agree with you, whoever buried Corryn in that park took a huge risk of being seen and they would have known that. They would have been in a state of high anxiety. Hence they probably drove with their headlights off and didn't see the bollard that blocked the track leading to the burial site.

Yes, if not for that bollard, Corryn's body would probably not been found for many years, if at all.

The ground in Perth's western coastal area (where Kings Park is located) is generally soft and sandy. It isn't hard soil in Kings Park but the fact that the sandy soil in Perth tends to collapse upon itself when dug into would have made digging that deep hole a very long and difficult job in my opinion.

The person who dug the hole would have been sweating buckets alright, and not just from panic.

MOO
BBM

The following article describes the gravesite location.

http://m.watoday.com.au/wa-news/corryn-rayneys-hidden-but-oftdriven-past-grave-20120718-22aam.html

Excerpts:-
"Tucked away in thick scrub, just off a sandy track, is the place where Corryn Rayney's body was buried. The location is not remote.
In fact, thousands drive past every year as they travel along Lovekin Drive, an arterial road of Perth's Kings Park.

But it is off the well-beaten route, down a rarely-used goat track, carpeted in leaves, sticks and logs.

Three bollards mark the entrance to an arcing sand track. The middle bollard folds down allowing cars to access the crude road.

Down the track about 30 metres and on the right side is a rough foot track, covered in foliage, low bushy scrub and grass trees.

The ground is sandy and loose underfoot but looks deceptively firm owing to the carpet of leaves, sticks and silt on the ground. It crunches underfoot and low branches and fallen trees make ducking and weaving necessary.

About 20 metres in is a small clearing and in front of a tree is a patch of depressed earth – the place Mrs Rayney was buried."

Great description of Kings Park, GeminiGirl.

Yes, it's a huge inner city park, highly frequented but, as you know, much of it is natural bushland and at night it is VERY DARK when you drive away from the main entrance restaurants and lit up lookout area and venture deeper into the park.

I've driven through that enormous park late at night and seen very few other cars. It's quite spooky.

But still, I agree with you, whoever buried Corryn in that park took a huge risk of being seen and they would have known that. They would have been in a state of high anxiety. Hence they probably drove with their headlights off and didn't see the bollard that blocked the track leading to the burial site.

Yes, if not for that bollard, Corryn's body would probably not been found for many years, if at all.

The ground in Perth's western coastal area (where Kings Park is located) is generally soft and sandy. It isn't hard soil in Kings Park but the fact that the sandy soil in Perth tends to collapse upon itself when dug into would have made digging that deep hole a very long and difficult job in my opinion.

The person who dug the hole would have been sweating buckets alright, and not just from panic.

MOO
BBM

The following article describes the gravesite location.

http://m.watoday.com.au/wa-news/corryn-rayneys-hidden-but-oftdriven-past-grave-20120718-22aam.html

Excerpts:-
"Tucked away in thick scrub, just off a sandy track, is the place where Corryn Rayney's body was buried. The location is not remote.
In fact, thousands drive past every year as they travel along Lovekin Drive, an arterial road of Perth's Kings Park.

But it is off the well-beaten route, down a rarely-used goat track, carpeted in leaves, sticks and logs.

Three bollards mark the entrance to an arcing sand track. The middle bollard folds down allowing cars to access the crude road.

Down the track about 30 metres and on the right side is a rough foot track, covered in foliage, low bushy scrub and grass trees.

The ground is sandy and loose underfoot but looks deceptively firm owing to the carpet of leaves, sticks and silt on the ground. It crunches underfoot and low branches and fallen trees make ducking and weaving necessary.

About 20 metres in is a small clearing and in front of a tree is a patch of depressed earth – the place Mrs Rayney was buried."

Great link YN, and yes, you are quite correct, Perth soil is sandy, how could I forget that, after many times stepping onto "lawns" and being startled by the momentary feeling that I was about to fall down a hole :blushing:

And yes, such goat tracks in the park are very dark and eerie at night.

Speaking of tracks, Lovekin Drive, I wasn't far off the mark re the location perhaps.

What must have been going through his mind as those legal teams visited these sites? It makes my skin crawl to look at pictures of him.

:maddening:

JMO MOO

http://www.whereis.com/wa/kings-park/lovekin-dr?id=60E0DDAA8D8E91#session=MTI0

Here is a diagram of Kings Park.

If you click on the photo you will see a long green strip which horizontally crosses the park. Below that is a sandy trail heading East towards Forrest Drive. Corryns Body was found just south of that trail.

The trail is not one of the marked walking trails, it is a bit overgrown and rarely would it be accessed.

Thanks MD, was I anywhere in the ballpark thinking the site was down towards Crawley (back of UWA) or had I totally bushwhacked myself?

Yes, I wonder if the digging implement has ever been found?

:please:

JMO MOO

Hi GG - Fairly close but I think the road you are thinking of may be Forrest Drive which connects with Park avenue and the bottom end of Lovekin - that stretch of road is used fairly frequently.

http://www.whereis.com/wa/kings-park/lovekin-dr?id=60E0DDAA8D8E91#session=MTI0

Here is a diagram of Kings Park.

If you click on the photo you will see a long green strip which horizontally crosses the park. Below that is a sandy trail heading East towards Forrest Drive. Corryns Body was found just south of that trail.

The trail is not one of the marked walking trails, it is a bit overgrown and rarely would it be accessed.

Thanks for the map and explanation of where Corryn was buried, mouse. I had never really known where the gravesite was.

I'm guessing that the collision with the bollard indicates that the killer hadn't chosen the burial site in advance. Otherwise he would have known that there was a bollard there and would have been careful not to hit it.

Mind you, that article http://m.watoday.com.au/wa-news/corryn-rayneys-hidden-but-oftdriven-past-grave-20120718-22aam.html states "The middle bollard folds down allowing cars to access the crude road." so maybe the killer had already scouted the location at a time when the bollard was down and had allowed vehicular access - but when it came time to use the spot the bollard, unbeknownst to him, was upright again.

Hmm, I wonder what the truth is?

MOO

I read that someone from the prosecution or police dug a similar sized hole nearby in just twenty minutes.

I am struggling to understand why LR was granted bail in this case, compared for example to GBC in Brisbane. Does anybody have any information to explain that?

Also, while on bail, has LR been able to keep practicing law? Does anybody know?

JMO MOO

I think that the welfare of the daughters may have been a significant factor in securing him bail. It was 3.5 years after Corryn's murder that LR was charged and during all of that time he was their primary caregiver. It would have had a major impact on them to have him incarcerated while he was awaiting trial.

You'd think that as a barrister he'd either be smarter about how he did it or he'd know the consequences and not go there... It defies belief really!!
I've really not heard that much about it, but I'll be interested to follow this thread.

On the second day of the prosecutor's opening statement, he said that LR was a gambler (ie. he was used to taking risks). He argued that the murder was another gamble; if he pulled it off it would solve a lot of his problems and for him it was worth the risk.

Even more staggering was that he left her boots in her car. Boots that had evidence of her having been dragged across the yard of the house post mortem. So presumably he removed them prior to burying her, but did not get rid of them.

For a barrister, not too bright methinks.

If he did it (and the evidence looks pretty damning)

:jail:

JMO MOO

In my opinion the murder was planned, but the killer did not plan to run over the bollard, leak transmission fluid and break down that close to the burial site. I don't think it was the killer's plan to leave the boots in the car, but when the car broke down, he had to make a quick decision to solve that problem and forgot about the boots. If LR was the killer, he had a 90 minute walk back to the house in Como and did not have any time to waste getting out of there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back