Australia defends plan to kill 2 million cats in face of Bardot, Morrissey protest

We rescued a morning dove with one wing injured at our front door early last year. It was kept inside to heal then in time was put on the patio to live in the garden. The bird tried using that wing by stretching it and doing small flights in attempts to return to its life. One day he was gone from the patio and we thought he finally healed enough to fly away. Later that day a neighbor showed up with our bird injured in a box. Some kids had found him hopping around outside, took a bat to him smacking the bird into some trees. This is where my neighbor rescued him. My husband had looked for the bird that day before work and had just told me about it after coming home and shortly before the neighbor showed up. Needless to say, the bird died the following morning back at our house.

I can state for a fact that cats didn't kill this bird...humans did.

Over the years I have learned dogs kill, birds kill, fish kill, lions kill, bears kill and of course, man kills. This is only a tiny list of ALL of the killers that live on this planet. So when we start culling all the other killers on this planet then we can talk about the cats.

It's interesting that a cat requires nourishment from food to survive so they seek out their meal. They even drink water. That seems so close to what humans do...we get hungry, we seek out food and water when thirsty. I don't know, perhaps people who are hunters should be culled...they are killing wildlife after all. You know...deer, ducks, birds...

Culling is simply a masked word for what it really means - killing. Perhaps saying culling allows one to sleep better at night because they didn't really kill the cat. It was culled. I will never understand this line of thinking because there are other solutions to this problem. Funny what we will nod our heads at to be killed while shaking our heads no at other killings. The 2 million cats figure is laughable, who counted all these cats or is this just another imaginary figure being tossed out to the public to help justify this so-called mass killing of cats.

If these feral cats aren't even reproducing this is even sadder because they aren't adding to the population of cats. There are services that will capture a wild cat, remove the reproductive organs for free, and clip one ear as a mark then return them to the wild. Any wild cat seen with a clipped ear is left alone because it signifies this cat cannot reproduce and will be not captured by animal control. We did that for a wild cat that was hungry and came to our door looking for food. She had 3 kittens we discovered and was pregnant again. After she kicked the kittens out (we took in those 3 kittens) the mother cat was captured, fixed, ear clipped and returned back to our area. She lives happily outside and the neighborhood has one less cat producing litters. When I see articles like this I get very passionate about it because there is already too much animal abuse in the world and I view this as abuse to cats.

There are other solutions to the problem without mass killing.

I certainly can think of other problems Australia has and it's doesn't involve cats.

As a community cat caregiver I cannot thank you enough for your eloquent post ModMaiden. I only see red when I read about the mass killing of an animal that depends on us and I can't think or write clearly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doobietime
Back