Found Deceased Australia - Gayle Woodford, 56, Fregon, SA, 23 March 2016 *Arrest*

The accused murderer of South Australian outback nurse Gayle Woodford fears he’ll face retribution if imprisoned, his lawyers have said.

Police allege Dudley Davey, a 36-year-old Mimili man, stole the ambulance of 56-year-old Mrs Woodford after killing her.

He appeared in a Port Augusta court today and made no application for bail.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...r-missing-in-far-north-sa#ltpDWE7raUzP3JPW.99

The federal minister for rural health has called an urgent meeting to discuss safety measures for outback health workers, following the murder of remote area nurse Gayle Woodford in South Australia.

Fiona Nash’s announcement comes as the Northern Territory health department launches its own urgent review, despite comments from the NT health minister that he never felt particularly unsafe in remote communities and people should be expected to exercise their judgment.

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...ster-to-hold-summit-over-outback-nurse-safety

Hundreds of people have attended the funeral for South Australian outback nurse Gayle Woodford.

Mourners at the service, held at the Stansbury Oval on the Yorke Peninsula this morning, farewelled the 56-year-old, who was killed in a rural area of the state last month after she went missing during a medical callout to the remote community of Fregon.
http://www.9news.com.au/National/20...ral-for-murdered-outback-nurse-Gayle-Woodford

Poor Gayle.
This really horrible & somewhat avoidable case (was able to occur imo, due to a huge degree, to workplace policies at the time) seems to of lost momentum in the media.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...d/news-story/bb4d0e4e4bbfba5380595184f692397d

Dudley Davey appears in Port Augusta Magistrates Court charged with murder of outback nurse Gayle Woodford

bb4d0e4e4bbfba5380595184f692397d

Andrew Dowdell in Port Augusta, The Advertiser
June 20, 2016 5:16pm

bb4d0e4e4bbfba5380595184f692397d

THE man accused of murdering outback nurse Gayle Woodford has faced court without legal representation after a magistrate refused a legal clerk permission to appear for the accused killer.

From Davey court appearance on 26.9.16

BBM

Dudley Davey, 35, appeared in the Port Augusta Magistrates Court on Monday charged over the death of Ms Woodford, who went missing in March from her Fregon home where she worked in a community health clinic. Court files show he made no application for bail and was remanded in custody to appear again on November 14.

Source: http://www.949powerfm.com.au/news/news/65964-man-in-court-over-remote-sa-nurses-murder
News
© 949 Power FM

BBM
The man accused of murdering South Australian outback nurse Gayle Woodford has again delayed the case.
Dudley Davey, 35, was charged over the death of 56-year-old Ms Woodford, who went missing from her Fregon home in March before her body was found in a shallow grave three days later.
He appeared in the Port Augusta Magistrates Court on today and was expected to answer the charge, but he did not enter a plea and the case was adjourned until December 19.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...nurse-murder-case-delayed#805ISgjzRxSV0dZq.99

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...d/news-story/c481ad29c848011146e64fdc38dc809b

Dudley David Davey was scheduled to enter a plea today over Ms Woodford’s murder and the theft of an ambulance she used at Fregon in the APY Lands in March last year.

However, the matter had to be adjourned after the court heard the Director of Public Prosecutions had laid fresh information which included a new charge relating to Ms Woodford’s death.

The Advertiser is unable to reveal the nature of that charge for legal reasons...

Simon Milazzo said there was no option but to adjourn the case until late February.

A man has confessed to raping and killing beloved South Australian outback nurse Gayle Woodford.

Dudley Davey, 35, pleaded guilty in Port Augusta Magistrates Court on Thursday to murdering Ms Woodford in March last year.

Ms Woodford's body was found in a shallow roadside grave three days after she went missing in Fregon, where the mother of two worked in a community health clinic.

"Dudley Davey ... at Fregon you murdered Gayle Woodford. How do you plead?" magistrate Simon Milazzo asked the killer.

"Guilty," replied Davey, who appeared by video link from Yatala Labour Prison.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-sa-outback-nurse-s-death#TPEeueatC1b0syz1.99

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/02/23/03/32/man-in-court-over-sa-outback-nurse-s-death

http://www.queenslandcountrylife.co...-call-for-single-nurse-posts-to-be-abolished/

Senator calls for single nurse posts to be abolished

1 May 2017, noon

MORE than a year after outback nurse Gayle Woodford was abducted and murdered reports have surfaced of medical staff facing cases of sexual assault, bullying and security flaws.

And ...

CRANAplus, the peak professional body for the remote and isolated health workforce of Australia, released a report in January commissioned by the Federal Government and outlining 33 recommendations to improve the workforce.
A roundtable was due to be held in May to respond to the CRANAplus report but it reportedly will not proceed. The Federal Health Department has told media outlets that the recommendations will be considered at the Australian Health Ministers Advisory Council health workforce meeting with resources available later this year.

Senator Kakoschke-Moore said single nurse posts should be abolished and Gayle’s Law introduced which would require remote area nurses attend call outs with another person.
"It seems that the issue is 'out of sight, out of mind', so I'm shining a very bright spotlight on it which may need to involve a Senate Inquiry if the inaction continues,” she said.

"Governments do not seem to see the urgency - waiting more than four months to respond to a damning report which says lives are at risk now, is unacceptable.”

Issues of personal safety were highlighted at the National Rural Health Conference in Cairns last week which was said to still be preventing staff from working in remote locations.

A sentencing submissions hearing will take place in the Supreme Court later this month for Dudley David Davey, 37, who has pleaded guilty to Ms Woodford’s kidnap, rape and murder at Fregon.

Gayle Woodford murder: Never release killer Dudley Davey, husband urges

By court reporter Rebecca Opie
Posted Tue at 5:11pm

Outback nurse Gayle Woodford's killer should
never be released from jail, her husband has told the South Australian Supreme Court.

Family, friends and colleagues of Ms Woodford filled every seat in the Adelaide courtroom as her murderer, Dudley Davey, 35, was told of their grief and pain at sentencing submissions.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-09/gayle-woodford-murder-sentencing-submissions/8510070

In a fortnight, the court is expected to hear a community impact statement from victims' rights commissioner Michael O'Connell, along with submissions from Davey's lawyer ahead of sentencing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-09/gayle-woodford-murder-sentencing-submissions/8510070

According to an ABC report, nurses continue to attend call-outs unaccompanied despite the murder of nurse Gayle Woodford in a remote area in South Australia. The health worker was abducted and killed during a late night call-out in March 2016. The thirty-five-year-old perpetrator pleaded guilty and is due for sentencing next month.

CRANAPlus CEO, Christopher Cliffe, said the tragic death of Ms. Woodford prompted action on the importance for nurses to always be accompanied during call-outs.
“All people who work in remote Australia were traumatized by that but it’s certainly shone a light onto some of the things that we were just prepared to put up with,” said Mr. Cliffe.
“We certainly don’t expect policemen or ambulance or fire brigade people to respond as an independent person let alone when you’re in a remote community with limited infrastructure, it’s just a bit crazy.”
CRANAPlus is currently working on the development of new guidelines for remote health workforce safety and security, which will be published this month.

In December 2016, it became mandatory in the New Territory to have back-up during call-outs.

http://content.safetyculture.com.au...tion-remote-area-health-workers/#.WRPbYlSuahA

How terribly frustrating and heartbreaking for Gayle's loved ones!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-...ing-postponed-courtroom-booking-issue/8561998

On Friday the large group of loved ones returned to Adelaide's Supreme Court for further sentencing submissions and to hear a community impact statement read by Victims' Rights Commissioner Michael O'Connell.
But, just as soon as they sat down in the courtroom the hearing was adjourned.
Justice Vanstone said there had been a problem with the courtroom booking and that there was not enough time to hear the submissions before another matter had use of the room.
The prosecution told the court a large number of family and friends had travelled long distances and from interstate, requesting that a firm date be set for sentencing.
Justice Vanstone said she would decide on a sentencing date at the next occasion.
Chief Justice Chris Kourakis said he understood the "anguish of the family and friends of the victim in this case".
He said the courtroom had been booked for three matters between 9:30am and 10:30am.
"That close listing is a common occurrence in the criminal courts in the Sir Samuel Way building, in order to optimise courtroom use and to reduce delay," he said.
"Unfortunately this morning, as sometimes happens, all of the matters could not be accommodated in the time available.
"I regret greatly the delay in dealing with this matter."
The matter will return to court next Friday.

The man who murdered outback nurse Gayle Woodford has been jailed for at least 32 years for the brutal killing.
Dudley Davey, 35, pleaded guilty to both the rape and murder of the 56-year-old who was found buried in a shallow grave three days after she went missing from her home in Fregon, in SA's north, in March last year.
Justice Ann Vanstone jailed Davies for life on Thursday and set a non-parole period of 32 years, describing his offending as "cold-blooded" and "callous in the extreme".

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...iller-due-to-be-sentenced#1II4UPg2Oy5jS17b.99

Keith Woodford has vowed to dedicate the rest of his life to ensuring the safety of outback nurses in memory of his wife who was murdered while working on South Australia's indigenous lands.
Davey, 35, was jailed for at least 32 years today with a judge describing his offending as "cold-blooded" and "callous in the extreme".

Mrs Woodford's death has sparked a wider debate over the safety of outback nurses and other workers with calls for legislation to end single shifts and solo call-outs, which has become known as "Gayle's Law".
A tearful Mr Woodford said his wife was dedicated to the people of Fregon.
"As to the future, I'm going to devote my life to the loving memory of Gayle by supporting the welfare of all nurses working in regional and remote areas," he told reporters after Davey was sentenced.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/06/08/10/32/outback-nurse-murder-gayle-woodford-sentenced

The man who killed beloved outback nurse Gayle Woodford has argued for a reduction in his 32-year minimum jail sentence.

Dudley Davey, 35, came before the Court of Criminal Appeal in Adelaide on Thursday with defence counsel Nick Vadasz arguing his client was not given enough discount on his non-parole period for his guilty plea to murder.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/37081200/nurses-killer-to-contest-jail-term/

Gayle Woodford murder: Husband Keith wants to know why her murderer was allowed to roam free

Andrew Dowdell, The Advertiser
October 22, 2017 3:54pm

GAYLE Woodford refused to leave her post as a nurse on the APY Lands when she was indecently assaulted about a year before her abduction and murder, the Sunday Mail can reveal.

Mr Woodford has spoken of his fears after the initial assault of Gayle in broad daylight outside their Fregon home – and his fury at the justice system which allowed her eventual killer to roam free despite his escalating pattern of sexual violence.

He believes Gayle would be alive today if the court system had acted on the warning signs displayed by sex predator and murderer Dudley Davey.

Davey had a lengthy criminal record for randomly attacking women over nearly 20 years and was sent back to the Far North without any supervision after his release from jail for assaulting a woman in the Adelaide CBD in 2012.
“It stinks. He had that many chances, he got let out that many times and just seemed to be getting slapped on the wrist,” Mr Woodford said.
“He was just a nasty, nasty man. He was twisted in his head; just an evil, evil man. On that night, it could have been the nurse next door or another nurse, but Gayle was call.”

The 36-year-old is now serving life behind bars with a 32-year non-parole period for the abduction, rape and murder of Ms Woodford, who he lured from their Fregon home late on the night of March 23, 2016.

While the sexual predator’s chances of ever being released are slim, that is of scant comfort to Mr Woodford.
“(Sex offenders) like him need to be monitored. But they just let him loose back up there, where the people were scared of him, because it was out of mind, out of sight,” Mr Woodford said.
He said serial sex offenders should be subject to conditions and monitoring similar to parole when they are released into the community.

Mr Woodford is campaigning for the Federal Government to implement mandatory protection for remote health workers – known as “Gayle’s Law” – and says assaults against nurses continue.
He said his wife’s passion for nursing and commitment to Aboriginal women in the troubled APY Lands outweighed any concerns for her own safety.

Mr Woodford said his “angel” was grabbed and assaulted by a man who had approached her as she raked the garden outside their Fregon home about a year before her murder.
“This car came up and this fella got out and he wanted a band aid. But then he grabbed Gayle ... she went off her brains at him and he ran off,” he said.
The man – who was off his psychiatric medication – was already wanted on a parole warrant in the Northern Territory and assaulted three nurses before being caught.
“That was when I sat down with Gayle and I said ‘we should leave’ – but she didn’t want to,” Mr Woodford said.
“She just said ‘my work’s not finished here and I’m not letting one person push me out’ –so that was it.”

WHEN police found Gayle’s body in a shallow grave on the outskirts of Fregon more than two days after her murder, another chapter in the Woodford family’s nightmare began.

Mr Woodford said the early stages of the court process made his family feel as though Davey’s rights and needs were more important than theirs.
“Early on, it felt like the only ones looking out for us were John (Detective Senior Sergeant John Schneemilch) and the Major Crime team. Later on, the DPP was also very good, though,” he said.

Davey sat silently in all court hearings wearing a jumper standard for all inmates, many of whom have made threats against him in both Port Augusta and Yatala prisons.
Gayle and Keith’s son, Gary, still bristles when he recalls having to sit metres from Davey, separated only by a clear perspex screen.
“I just wanted to jump that thing and rip his head off. He just sat there like a smart-arse and it infuriated me,” Gary said.
“It was hard. I didn’t take my eyes off him the whole time and every time I caught his eye I would just stare him down and he would just stare at you and then look away like he didn’t care less.”
Keith Woodford was worried Gary’s simmering disdain could boil over in court – yet it was his own stoic silence which cracked during sentencing submissions earlier this year.
Amid submissions by Davey’s lawyer, Nick Vadasz, Keith Woodford stormed from the court saying “I can’t sit here and listen to this crap”, before gesturing and speaking to a taken-aback Davey in the dock.
“I was angry and I needed some fresh air and as I walked out I said ‘wiya story’ which is “I don’t believe your story, it’s ********’,” Mr Woodford explained.

Despite Davey receiving one of the longest minimum terms seen in recent years, Mr Woodford said a current appeal against his non-parole period prolonged his family’s ordeal.
“I honestly don’t think he will see the light of day again but I don’t want his sentence reduced. I did want the death penalty but obviously that wasn’t going to happen,” he said.Mr Woodford does not know whether his family could have coped with a trial if Davey had not admitted to the rape and murder.“There are things we don’t know about what happened to Gayle. We are allowed to know, and can get a full Coroner’s report ...” he said.“I don’t think that I would’ve wanted to know exactly what happened to her and I still don’t.
“I visualise in my head what happened to her and that’s bad enough. But to know the actual facts of what he did…”

Keith and Gary are still dismayed that their mother and family’s name are now synonymous with a mindless and vicious act of savagery.
But their fierce focus remains on pushing for Gayle’s Law which, they say,, will help prevent such a despicable fate from befalling those helping some of Australia’s most remote and troubled communities.

GAYLE WAS THE GREEN FINGERS OF THE DESERT

GAYLE Woodford showed others what could be achieved through hard work and determination – such as the green garden oasis she sculpted amid the ochre, arid dirt of Fregon.

The “handyman” of the Woodford home, Gayle would tinker with special projects such as the garden when she was not on call as a nurse.
Husband Keith, who moved to the APY Lands to be with his intrepid wife, still speaks in the present tense of his adoration for Gayle.
“Well, she is quiet but when she gets going she is motivated and she motivates others,” he said
“People were always coming around to ask about the garden and she would tell them ‘just add water’.
“It was the only green place in Fregon and Gayle did all that herself. I used to do the housework and she used to do the outside work.”
Mr Woodford recalled what immediately drew him to his future wife.
“I turned around it was the smile. She had a special way where she would smile when she would walk into a room, and that smile would melt steel,” he said.
Gayle’s energy and sharp mind ensured she could almost always get her way without the need for stern words.
“I reckon I could count on one or two hands the arguments we had over all those years. We would have disagreements but she just had a way to get her way ... and sometimes make it feel like it was my idea,” he laughed.

Play
d68828dbee7a9e0617a51fba0604fd16
Mute
Duration Time2:20Loaded: 0Progress: 0

883ff26a074a529c64636beb28e6ac3d
Heartwarming tribute for Gayle Woodofrd

Raising their children, Gary and Alison, at Stansbury on Yorke Peninsula, Mr Woodford recalls his wife and son having much in common such as their carpentry skills – and headstrong determination.

When they renovated a garage into a teen retreat, Keith was smart enough to stay well out of the way.
“I’d just sit under the pergola and listen to them and they would fight. She’d come steaming out and say ‘I can’t work with that, he won’t bloody listen’,” he said.
“Then, three hours later, he’d come out and say ‘I can’t work with her anymore, she won’t listen’.”

Keith said Alison spoke to her mother almost every day, often for hours on end, and followed her into a nursing career.
“Ali and Gayle had a special bond, one of the main reasons Gayle wanted to stay within travelling distance was that she believed Ali would have our first grandchild at some point,” he said.
Gary’s affection for his Mum remains obvious.
“She was pretty lenient with me – if Mum said jump I would sort of say ‘how high’. I probably did more stuff with mum than dad,” Gary said.

Keith has returned to live alongside his children in Stansbury, where Gayle was buried at a funeral attended by more than 1000 mourners from across Australia.
Her entire immediate and extended family continue to grapple with their loss, and some are coping better than others, Keith said.
“It’s not quite as daunting now but it’s still there and it doesn’t take much to bring it to the surface,” he said.
“We all have those moments where we don’t want to talk to anyone, we just want to be in our own space or you think of something and you start crying.”

Any murder is tragic, yet the senseless death of a woman who could turn the desert into an oasis is an unfathomable loss for the entire Aboriginal and remote nursing communities which desperately need more like her.

“She thought she was making progress at getting people to take their medication and bring their kids in when they’re sick and they really did respect Gayle, especially the women,” Keith said.
“They would tell her things that they wouldn’t tell anyone else. She touched people in a special way – she was just an angel.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...e/news-story/22ddde64825bf447f232f4abe601b167

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back