Australia - Luke Batty, 11, killed by dad at Tyabb sports oval, 12 Feb 2014

This is true, but as Rosie said, it was a public place and the only time he had access was there, anyone would think that he'd be safe! She thought she was the one in danger and not Luke, she had no reason to think that he'd hurt his son. I also think it's admirable that she still allowed Luke to see his Dad, she didn't have to, but she did it for Luke! As she said, if she did t ever let him see him, then he'd grow up with other issues!
But there's no doubt that it's a reminder to all that if there is violence towards one family member, then ALL family members are potentially at risk!

The *advertiser censored* is a concern... Using a public computer at a library is so odd though? Was he really a pedo or was that some really strange way to cry for help?
And yes, why be near kids if he was really into kiddie *advertiser censored*? That's so puzzling!!

I don't blame Rosie in the slightest. I understand totally she was doing what she thought was best for her son's wellbeing and happiness. I mean who would think there would be any danger to him out in such a public place? Im glad she doesn't blame herself as if that were his intentiins for a while he would of just found another way to get to Luke with or without her permission to see him:*(

I assume he did it in a library as he had no computer and was homeless a bit? It worries me he needed to see it that bad he'd risk doing it in public. ..hopefully it was a cry for help and nothing more. It still should of been taken more seriously either way

Another news story link:http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/21458351/killer-father-should-have-been-in-jail/

Five arrest warrants out on killer dad, Killer father should have been in jail (note we spell jail: gaol here in oz).
The Victorian father who killed his 11-year-old son after cricket training had five warrants issued for his arrest but systematic police flaws allowed him to remain free.

So sad.

Ok now this makes me angry! With five warrants out, including threats to kill and child *advertiser censored*, there should have been an alert to notify Luke's mother. The man was seemingly escalating and his ex-partner and child should have been protected. Grrrr.

Ok now this makes me angry! With five warrants out, including threats to kill and child *advertiser censored*, there should have been an alert to notify Luke's mother. The man was seemingly escalating and his ex-partner and child should have been protected. Grrrr.

EXACTLY!!! She should have been told!

Rosie Batty successfully sought an intervention order against Luke's father last year. 7.30 has learned that after that, mid-last year, a third party made a notification to the local sexual offences and child abuse team at Victoria Police. That team investigated, but felt it could not be successfully prosecuted. They dropped the case. The staff in that unit are utterly devastated today.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2013/s3944396.htm

My daughter has some friends who live out that way, and go to school in the area. They are saying it was extremely traumatic for the children present there that day, and they have all been offered counselling. She is worried for her friends, who are feeling extremely depressed that something this horrible could happen in their community.

This is just beyond disgusting, as it was an entirely preventable crime. I think we are too good-natured and laid back here, where it comes to men who who are dangerous to women and children.

I can't think about it too long, or I get weepy.

This is a video link with press conference given by Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay. It basically admits huge faults on the part of the Police department for failing to have arrested Luke's father earlier when they had the chance. Not sure what else to say. He mentions the IT issues have existed for 10 years?
This crime had huge chances to be avoided. I am speechless, really.
At the very least, why couldn't Rosie have been warned by police and family courts that her husband was now an elevated risk, and shouldn't have contact with her son?

"Anderson, 45, was wanted on five outstanding warrants related to domestic violence when he killed Luke at Tyabb cricket ground on the Mornington Peninsula before being fatally shot by police. Mr Lay said Victoria Police’s outdated IT system was one reason police were unaware of the arrest warrants when police visited Anderson’s address on January 27 over an assault.

“If police would’ve gone to that address a day later, those warrants would have been visible,’’ Mr Lay said.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ng-of-luke-batty/story-e6frg6nf-1226827049212

I want to know how / why he was even able to have access visits?????

We drive through Tyabb every few weeks (my parents live a stones throw from there), we adore the vintage shops and the awesome locals.

This story is filled with such horror, it is impossible for me to get my head around it.

Luke looks like such an absolute darling, his mum will be absolutely lost without him....she is an amazing woman, to hear her speak is completely heartbreaking.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/02/15/00/05/vic-killer-bailed-despite-police-fears

Son killer bailed despite police fears

12:01am February 15, 2014

The Victorian man who killed his son at cricket training was granted bail despite police fears he would murder his family, it has been reported.

A Frankston magistrate was told police feared Gregory Anderson was capable of carrying out threats he made to kill his family, the Herald Sun reports.

But the magistrate granted Anderson bail in June last year.

On Wednesday he killed his 11-year-old son Luke Batty during cricket training on an oval at Tyabb.

Last year police opposed Anderson getting bail with one officer telling a magistrate he was capable of killing his family.

"Genuine concerns are held by police as the accused appears more than capable of carrying out the threats to kill," the officer reportedly said.

"The accused's pattern of behaviour appears to be becoming more erratic and aggressive."

I have to wonder how well that fricken magistrate is sleeping at night, these days.

Being familiar with the Frankston area and having worked in the `social security system' here, I think we need to be careful in how we judge those working in the law enforcement and social services areas. Quite often these people are selfless, honest, hard working people who are severely underpaid, very stressed and trying desperately to work to the best of their ability to help clients in (what seems) are never ending, constant up hill battles. These people are trying to assist victims (often above and beyond), working within laws and protocols that are sadly inadequate in dealing with the current issues in this community and often seem to work only to protect the offenders. I can only imagine what type of pressure those magistrates, social service workers and the police officers are under. As we have seen from the media reports already, they were not coping too well.

That's not saying something needs to be done, obviously it does. Just trying to point out that those working in the system now are most likely doing the best they can within the current protocol and guidelines, and issues such as slow computer systems and the current restrictions on prosecuting under the law are not their fault.

I have no problem criticising the magistrate who let Greg Anderson out on bail when he had been told by police that Anderson posed a very real threat to the lives of Rosie and Luke.

The computer glitch isn't anyone's fault. Ignoring evidence is an entirely different situation. It's the same as me having a lot of anger for the people responsible for letting Adrian Bayley and Steven Hunter out on parole. Those monsters should never have been allowed to walk free. At least Hunter is now never to be released, but look at what it took for him to be locked away forever.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/02/16/10/11/luke-batty-final-words-to-ill-be-fine-mum

'I'll be fine mum': Luke Batty's final words

"You have to rise above the anger and bitterness and resentment," Ms Batty said.

"We shouldn't live in condemnation of people, but we should try and forgive. Or work towards that."

(Much more at link)

I'll say it again-Rosie is an amazing woman. I doubt I could ever forgive someone who took my only son away. She is truly a much stronger and better person than I could ever be in those circumstances.

Police warned a magistrate that Greg Anderson was capable of carrying out his threats to kill

Bail documents show police opposed Anderson’s bail applications in 2013 because they feared he would harm his son or ex-partner Rosie Batty.

Constable Paul Topham said in one of Anderson’s bail hearings: “Genuine concerns are held … by police as the accused appears more than capable of carrying out the threats to kill. The accused’s pattern of behaviour appears to be becoming more erratic and aggressive.”

In another bail hearing Constable Clinton Taylor said: “The victim (Ms Batty) in this matter is extremely concerned for the welfare of her son Luke. The victim … believes he (Anderson) is capable of carrying out previous threats to kill and harm.”

The revelations followed reports from friends and *family of Anderson’s tortured mind, describing an angry man who regularly smoked marijuana and resented his ex-partner for not allowing him to see their son.

Despite finding spirituality in recent months, Anderson would often brandish a knife and could not control his rages.

The housemates had felt sorry for the drifter after meeting him at a Hare Krishna temple and offered to be a bail address for him from an earlier police charge.

Anderson's parents were forced to call police on the Australia Day weekend when he threatened to kill one of them. Anderson’s parents said the events were “tragic”. Father Don Anderson said the devastated parents of GA had been in touch with Luke’s mother, Rosie.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/poli...-threats-to-kill/story-fnii5s3y-1226827738726

There are many photos on this link too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sshamrick2011
Back