Australia - Melissa Hoskins, 32, Olympian cyclist, struck & killed by ute, husband Rohan Dennis arrested and charged - Medindie, SA, 30 Dec 2023

ifindedout

Reaction score
SA Police said emergency services were called to Avenel Gardens Road in Medindie just after 8pm, following reports that a woman had been hit by a car.

Police said Ms Hoskins suffered serious injuries and was taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital for treatment, but she died overnight.

Mr Dennis was arrested and charged with causing death by dangerous driving, driving without due care and endangering life — he was bailed to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court in March.

Police allege Dennis was driving a ute that struck his wife, former Olympian and professional cyclist Melissa Hoskins, just metres from out the front of their family home in Adelaide.

[...]

Dennis, 33, won gold at last year’s Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, having won bronze in the men’s individual time trial at the Tokyo Olympics in 2021.

He announced his retirement earlier this year, thanking Hoskins in his message to fans.

[...]

The pair married in 2018, having celebrated their engagement in 2017.

MOD NOTE:
Under Australian law, this case is sub judice and the following is not allowed:
  • Anything that may prejudice the accused’s right to a fair trial.
  • Any history of a defendant’s previous offenses.
  • Any suggestions or direct accusations that the accused is either guilty or innocent (i.e. the accused cannot be called "the killer", "the perp"; it has to be "the accused", the "alleged killer" or "the defendant").
  • Scandalizing the court (disparaging judges, lawyers, any officer of the Court) is off limits.
  • Broadcasting anything about proceedings which happen in the jury's absence is off limits.
  • Any non compliance with an Order of the court is off limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
SA Police said emergency services were called to Avenel Gardens Road in Medindie just after 8pm, following reports that a woman had been hit by a car.

Police said Ms Hoskins suffered serious injuries and was taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital for treatment, but she died overnight.

Mr Dennis was arrested and charged with causing death by dangerous driving, driving without due care and endangering life — he was bailed to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court in March.

Police allege Dennis was driving a ute that struck his wife, former Olympian and professional cyclist Melissa Hoskins, just metres from out the front of their family home in Adelaide.

[...]

Dennis, 33, won gold at last year’s Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, having won bronze in the men’s individual time trial at the Tokyo Olympics in 2021.

He announced his retirement earlier this year, thanking Hoskins in his message to fans.

[...]

The pair married in 2018, having celebrated their engagement in 2017.

Terrible way to start 2024. The tragic loss of a young mother.

Pretty strange kind of accident. I took a Google walk down that fairly short street. It is a straight road, which then turns right for another straight bit of the street.
Clear visibility, safe footpaths on both sides of the street, quiet and well-to-do neighbourhood, lots of household privacy.

I cannot even begin to imagine the scenario of how Melissa was hit by her husband's ute - especially hit hard enough to sustain deadly injuries.

Google maps

imo

I had to look up "ute." It's called an SUV in the U.S.
A ute has a tray at the back (short for “utility”) so different to an SUV, more like a pick up truck. Most utes would be the same as your picks ups - although usually not as big - but we also have some utes that have a lower sedan style body.

A ute has a tray at the back (short for “utility”) so different to an SUV, more like a pick up truck. Most utes would be the same as your picks ups - although usually not as big - but we also have some utes that have a lower sedan style body.
For those in the US and Canada and who have long memories - a Ute is along the lines of a Ford Ranchero or Chevrolet ElCamino - a Falcon / Fairlane / Gran Torino or Chevelle wagon with a pickup bed in the place where the rear seats and cargo area would be.

Police today have said they can provide little further detail about the sequence of events but indicated CCTV could help determine the circumstances.

When asked whether the victim had been on a bike at the time she was hit, Acting Assistant Commissioner Papworth responded: "Not that I'm aware of."

"The matter's still subject to investigation but that's not information that I'm aware of," he said.

Police have appealed to anyone with information about the incident to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online.

<modsnip: sub judice>

From The Advertiser, so paraphrased:

Police will allege Ms Hoskins, jumped onto the car bonnet and then grabbed at a door handle.

Officers will allege Mr Dennis, 33, continued to drive the family vehicle until she fell to the ground.

Police also believe Melissa may have been dragged some distance along the street.

It is believed some of the incident was caught on neighbours’ security cameras.

Not only is it tragic for Melissa’s children and family and friends, it is a very sad day for the Australian Cycling Family… IMO

I am very surprised that bail was granted so quickly … IMO

Paywalled for some:

Last edited by a moderator:
A vehicle like this I believe … Volkswagon Amaroo V6 Dual Cab
(Often as the second car in the family … a 4WD.. often “his” car in Australia is a Ute … IMO )

IMG_1273.png

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>
There is a photo of his ute in this (paywalled) article that Slouth posted.

It is a "dark grey" (looks black to me) 4-door ute ... seats in the back and in the front.

There is an officer kneeling on the road by the driver's door of the ute, doing something. Swabbing or just looking for impact damage along that side? There is another officer holding torch light on the area of the ute at which they are looking.
The front of the vehicle looks unscathed, from what I can see.

World champion cyclist Melissa Hoskins allegedly jumped onto the bonnet of a car and grabbed at a door handle before the vehicle was driven and she fell to the ground, police will allege.

South Australian Police on Sunday arrested her former star cyclist husband Rohan Dennis, 33, over her death, alleging he was behind the wheel of the ute that hit the mother of two outside their $2.45m mansion in the exclusive Adelaide suburb of Medindie.

Red emphasis mine.

:(

Rest in peace, Melissa !

BBM

News Corp reports police will allege Ms Hoskins jumped onto the car bonnet and grabbed at a door handle before the vehicle was driven and she fell to the ground.

It is then alleged she may have been dragged along by the vehicle.

How do you grab a car door from the bonnet (hood) of a car?
Jumped on the hood (some articles say 'bonnet', but I think that means the front aka hood ?), and was trying to grab the front door handle while leaning or laying forward ?

Good that there's neighbors' security footage and hopefully it will tell a story.
Omo.

In a News.com article, there is a short video of the scene after the police had left.

It shows the yellow markings on the road, presumably placed there by the crash investigators. And it zooms in on the CCTV camera (which I have circled in red, top left of pic) that likely caught much of what happened.

b.jpg

ETA: There is also a photo, in the article, of fingerprint dust all over the bonnet of the ute. No doubt part of the crash investigation in determining exactly what happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back