Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #5 *charges*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no phone service in the valley, so google maps wont work either if it relies on phone data service, but many of these tablets have inbuilt GPS and many 4WD ers use offline mapping software like Oziexplorer or HEMA maps on a GPS enabled Tablet.
Thanks Motomike. I suspect that is what Mr Lynn had in his vehicle in this clip.
It is possible to download google maps into your phone. [See: Download areas & navigate offline - Android - Google Maps Help]
The area downloaded will stay on the phone for, I think 12 months (I'd need to check) and your personal details with google forever.
The reason I know this is bitter experience. I inherited a quite new Koleos (an x-trail, wearing French clothes). But the maps were way out of date - and no updates. And my little Garmin is up to date but also more or less useless out of large centres. I don't go off roads like you folks but do go on relatively good dirt in boondocky areas, which are way out where the busses don't run. Google is OK for that. But I recently found its limitations. All in all, however, I prefer paper maps....
I've been thinking about investing in Hema or Oziexplorer. And a different and real 4WD.

Bodies of missing campers found

Near Providence Spur Trail. Perhaps this trail was chosen as it terminates on the hill ridge and is not a thoroughfare i.e. not somewhere one would drive through to get from point A to B. Less traffic except for only the more adventurous among the 4wd community (imo)
And being a no-through-road, he could pull in there, do what he had to do, have a kip and then drive out to the Dargo High Plains road and it would just look like a camper getting an early start....

Here is a map of the recover area and its relationship to the Dargo High Plains road. The crow-flies distance is about 5km; but by road, closer to 7 km. Would that be about an 3/4 hour?
Edited to change 10km to 7km, after measuring distance.

upload_2021-11-30_16-7-52.png

Last edited:
Oh wow. It’s 5am here in Scotland and I can’t get back to sleep - thought I’d check my WS watched threads…
RH and CC, wherever they are now, I hope they’re at peace. Can’t imagine what the families are going through. But I hope that this might give some likely much-needed answers for them.
JMO

I'm so sorry there was no option for a happy conclusion to this story, but I hope this discovery eases the pain of living with an unanswered question for the family and friends - and helps secure the conviction of the responsible party.

My thoughts are with their family and friends at this sad time.

Watching Russell's daughters on 60 minutes, I felt such empathy for them. My own Dad is 70, and I cannot imagine the pain of losing him in the way they've lost their Dad.

On top of their tragic deaths, I would hate to never find the remains of one of my loved ones. The thought of not being able to give my loved one a proper burial is very upsetting.

I hope that this gives a little bit of peace or comfort to the friends and family, and hopefully also helps in getting them justice.

RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member