Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read this article some years ago and it gives a good idea of just how hard it can be to find someone in the bush. Originally published in The Australian.
Link to the writer:
“Into Thin Air – how does a bushwalker go missing, never to be found?” – Weekend Australian Magazine | Ricky French
I found this didn't show the whole article

Link of full length article with reference to original source:
The Blatherblog - Published blather by Ricky French: Into Thin Air (Published in the Australian Newspaper Weekend Magazine, August 2013)

(sorry about edits - my poor old keyboard!!)

Last edited:
One thing we haven't seen in this case is any family pleading for info about this potential crime.

"He's my dad and I love him, he is the kindest, most caring person you'd ever know. Please help."

No 'Sarah Ristevski' holding up a photo of dad - or mum - and looking anxious in front of a media pack.

No 'Dickies' pleading for the public to help reunite their husband/dad with their family, or their mother with her family.

Only a friend who is convinced his mate and mate's girlfriend have been killed.
And another friend who says no-one would have thought anything bad would have befallen Carol ..... Carol, who would make a meal and bring it to your house, just because that's the kind of person she is.

You are right with what you are saying here SA.

You are right with what you are saying here SA.
What has come to mind for me is that RH appears to have retired and then purchased himself a brand new expensive top of the range 4wd, with custom accessories, (stainless?) canopy etc. an expensive drone, possibly a lot of new camping equipment added to the canopy fitout (being a "meticulous" camper) and I expect he would also have purchased himself a top of the range radio etc. o go in the new 4wd. Had RH been spending up the money big time on things for himself while spending less and less time with his wife? I read somewhere that his wife used to go on some trips with him, but this appears to have stopped. Had he spent up a lot of money on a new 4wd and a lot of other personal items, then planned to tell his wife he was leaving? Was he out and about spending up big on himself while his wife sat at home budgeting on the pension and drove and old "family" car?

No one is coming forward because it was during the covid lockdown.

“If there were any hunters, campers or motorcyclists who were in the area around this time then we’d like to speak to you and I can assure people, we are only focused on this investigation. Please do not feel worried that police are looking to catch anyone out with regards to non-essential travel.
Search continues for missing CWA president | Pakenham Gazette

I wonder how much time Russell would have had to fly his drone on the night of 20th March?

His ham radio call ended around 6:30pm. He stated he was at Wonnangatta Station at that time, and they were going then to set up camp. Presumaby that meant driving to where the burned tent and his vehicle where found.
Did they then have to pitch the tent? Or had they already pitched it and 'set up camp' meant sorting other things out.

Then sunset, according to this chart, was at 7:31pm on that day.

Sunrise and sunset times in Melbourne, March 2020

I doubt he would have tried flying his drone at night there. If he flew the drone it would have been the next morning.

One thing we haven't seen in this case is any family pleading for info about this potential crime.

"He's my dad and I love him, he is the kindest, most caring person you'd ever know. Please help."

No 'Sarah Ristevski' holding up a photo of dad - or mum - and looking anxious in front of a media pack.

No 'Dickies' pleading for the public to help reunite their husband/dad with their family, or their mother with her family.

Only a friend who is convinced his mate and mate's girlfriend have been killed.
And another friend who says no-one would have thought anything bad would have befallen Carol ..... Carol, who would make a meal and bring it to your house, just because that's the kind of person she is.

They ask for privacy way back in April! Huh?

“At this time we ask that our privacy be fully respected while we deal as a family with the ongoing process of supporting each other, dealing with the issues this raises and helping the police,” Ms Clay’s family member added in their statement.

“We would also very much like to take this opportunity to extend our thanks and gratitude to the many people who have taken part in the search in difficult terrain and those who are continuing to work hard to solve what is at this stage an absolute mystery.”

Search continues for missing CWA president | Pakenham Gazette

I wonder how much time Russell would have had to fly his drone on the night of 20th March?

His ham radio call ended around 6:30pm. He stated he was at Wonnangatta Station at that time, and they were going then to set up camp. Presumaby that meant driving to where the burned tent and his vehicle where found.
Did they then have to pitch the tent? Or had they already pitched it and 'set up camp' meant sorting other things out.

Then sunset, according to this chart, was at 7:31pm on that day.

Sunrise and sunset times in Melbourne, March 2020

Great points SouthAussie. If he left at 6:30pm to then drive to the campsite and set up, it is highly unlikely he would have then used the drone. If he was as meticulous as is continuously stated, he would have taken some time to set up. In my opinion, based on what you've said, I believe he would have finished setting up just before dark. Presumably, they would then have prepared dinner and then gone to bed.

Does anyone know the approximate drive time from Wonnangatta Station to the campsite?

Therefore, in my opinion, the theory of him flying the drone when they first arrived and then attempting to recover it, doesn't really work. Unless he flew it at night, which I personally doubt. After a long drive, setting up camp, preparing dinner, I would have thought drone flying wouldn't be on the agenda until the following morning.

However, the drone is missing. So where does that leave things? Would have have kept the drone in the tent overnight? Doubtful. I would have thought he would have left it in the vehicle until the morning. When camping, you only keep what you need to use in the tent because of the lack of space. Valuables are kept in a locked vehicle. The vehicle was locked. That then begs the question, what was a battery doing in the tent area? Did he use that to charge the drone? If so, did that cause the fire? If it did, where were Russell and Carol at that time?

As the exact time of their disappearance can't be pinpointed, perhaps he flew the drone the following morning, which then brings in the theory of the drone crashing and them trying to recover it. Given that his friend stated he wouldn't leave his car, makes me think if he did fly the drone the following morning, he wouldn't have been far from the campsite, yet far enough away to necessitate locking the vehicle. That usually means the vehicle wouldn't have been in line of sight. We'd need a map of the exact location they camped at to give an idea of how far away they may have ventured whereby the vehicle wasn't in sight.

And what of the fire? Was it deliberately set or a freaky coincidence? There did appear to be some sort of drum that looked like it was set up for a fire, as well as the battery. Both of these could have started the fire when they weren't at the campsite. However, it's been stated that he wouldn't leave his vehicle, so one would then think that if a fire started they wouldn't have been far from the campsite and would have either smelt the smoke, which would have had a foul odour from all the synthetic materials and/or they would have seen the smoke and then rushed back to the campsite. Yet, obviously they didn't.

Last edited:
What has come to mind for me is that RH appears to have retired and then purchased himself a brand new expensive top of the range 4wd, with custom accessories, (stainless?) canopy etc. an expensive drone, possibly a lot of new camping equipment added to the canopy fitout (being a "meticulous" camper) and I expect he would also have purchased himself a top of the range radio etc. o go in the new 4wd. Had RH been spending up the money big time on things for himself while spending less and less time with his wife? I read somewhere that his wife used to go on some trips with him, but this appears to have stopped. Had he spent up a lot of money on a new 4wd and a lot of other personal items, then planned to tell his wife he was leaving? Was he out and about spending up big on himself while his wife sat at home budgeting on the pension and drove and old "family" car?
Probably ... as someone alluded to previously, RH doesn’t sound like the sort of person you would want to be married to! IMO

Last edited:
Any WS campers think that’s crazy setting up camp so late in the night.
Yup. Just following their timeline (which I have lost the link to, sorry). Race off from Pakenham on 19/3, stay at Howitt High plains, camping (so have to set up, then pack up again next morning), rush off and spend the day driving to Wonnangatta valley 20/3 (needing directions from friend on radio), set up camp at dusk in a rush - then, apparently planning to leave again the next day or in 2 days to head home (again, needing directions on the radio)! Was CC really not enjoying the trip? Why even bother going if they were in such a rush? I honestly don't know many campers who love packing up and resetting camp virtually every night and morning. Especially that they had the full set up, it looked like the tent was full of gear! Maybe they were eaten by Jumping jack ants after setting up camp on a nest in the dark and the mystery will never be solved! I still think they got lost/shot searching for drone, tent burnt after overcharged drone battery exploded (people who are happy to spend 2 grand on a drone would have one battery to charge and one in use.

Last edited:
My iPhone has a compass on it & it doesn’t need service to work.
Could Robyn log in to ‘Wheres my phone’?
Yes, we used our phones hiking in the Himalayas where there was no mobile coverage, but could use maps to know exactly where we were, free satellite GPS data connection anywhere in the world. Unfortunately RH and CC's phones are probs flat now. Police had tracked their phones for as far as possible and I hope they tried using the find my phone apps etc. :(

I was reading through the other recent disappearances in that area, as I was helping another member collate some info about 'missing person patterns' and I noticed this.

Conrad Whitlock - disappeared 29 July 2019/30 July 2019 - extensive searches, family member expressing concern on Mt Buller FB page - police conclusion is Conrad was walking about dazed and confused and became lost

Niels Becker - disappeared between 24 October and 29 October 2019 - extensive searches, police conclusion is Niels likely succumbed to hypothermia

Russell Hill and Carol Clay - disappeared 20 March 2020 - extensive searches, police conclusion is Russell and Carol may have been victims of foul play

And an older one ... Warren Meyer - disappeared on 23 March 2008 - police have not ruled out foul play

My thought is that the police generally have a pretty good handle on the different situations. They don't seem to jump to 'foul play' or 'lost in the bush' easily.
I am thinking that - like Warren Meyer - there must be some indication of others involvement in Russell and Carol's disappearance.

Mt Buller Mt Stirling Resort Management
https://www.smh.com.au/national/pot...sing-man-conrad-whitlock-20190801-p52d2u.html

Fit hiker may have succumbed to hypothermia in Victoria's high country, police say

Dark twist in case of missing campers as police suspect foul play was involved in the disappearance and probe the couple's last 18 hours following a chilling radio call

Warren MEYER

Last edited:
Yup. Just following their timeline (which I have lost the link to, sorry). Race off from Pakenham on 19/3, stay at Howitt High plains, camping (so have to set up, then pack up again next morning), rush off and spend the day driving to Wonnangatta valley 20/3 (needing directions from friend on radio), set up camp at dusk in a rush - then, apparently planning to leave again the next day or in 2 days to head home (again, needing directions on the radio)! Was CC really not enjoying the trip? Why even bother going if they were in such a rush? I honestly don't know many campers who love packing up and resetting camp virtually every night and morning. Especially that they had the full set up, it looked like the tent was full of gear! Maybe they were eaten by Jumping jack ants after setting up camp on a nest in the dark and the mystery will never be solved! I still think they got lost/shot searching for drone, tent burnt after overcharged drone battery exploded (people who are happy to spend 2 grand on a drone would have one battery to charge and one in use.

BBM

Just one point, I don't believe they needed help from a friend to get from Wonnangatta Station to their campsite (if that's what you mean).
Rob was giving them directions on how to proceed to another point after they left their Wonnangatta Valley campsite. They were going to spend a 'last night' camping at Upper Dargo.

Mr Ashlin gave Mr Hill directions on how to get to Dargo through Wombat Spur and Talbotville from Wonnangatta.
“His plan was in the next day or so to come down and camp at Upper Dargo as more or less a final night, I believe, and return (home) to Drouin,” Mr Ashlin told the Advertiser.
“I think they’ve been murdered”

IMO Russell was not the only ham operator who had another woman who camped with them not related by blood or marriage. After 27 years he’d know Russell had Carol on the side. Many people who learn of infidelity in their close group, choose to disassociate themselves from the group. I suppose some others don’t care bc it’s over the air and not in person.
But I bet Ashlin knows or has a very good idea of who murdered them. And why. The why coming first. Motive lead to murder. I’m hoping Ashlin shared all his thoughts with LE. Sometimes the smallest clue leads to the biggest discovery.
It seems to me Russell camped both with and without Carol. But I don’t think he set up camp every night and pulled up every morning to move on during every trip. This time it was different. Like an old prospector. He was chasing something. He discovered something his last trip, when he was solo, and brought her back this trip. New drone and company.
So add anything you can think of if I’m wrong:
Whether he flew the drone that evening or not, they were lost, dead, unable to respond when the fire started because they would have seen the fire high into the night skies or smoke into the daytime sky. Saving the camp would have been more important than finding the drone, at that point, if the drone had flown off by itself somewhere. The fire or smoke would have been the beacon they needed to guide them back to the camp.

ETA: We’ve exhausted every possible scenario except alien abduction. Occam’s Razor would lead us to: they walked away from camp the next morning, drone in flight, drone off course, lost altitude, they follow it and get lost, and hurt themselves. Night falls. It’s cold. Wet. They don’t survive for long in the elements. Day walking gear is not night time braving the elements gear. No food. No water. No shelter.
I’m not convinced it wasn’t foul play. And the drone caused it. But at this point, I don’t think they will ever be found.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members